Options

A "team" on Kiva.org to track the overall lending impact of Pearl Jam fans

We learned about Kiva from PJ and have enjoyed our previous participation, making microloans to people in need around the world. If you are a Kiva lender and not yet counting your loans towards a particular "team", we recently started one called "Fans of Pearl Jam". We don't get anything if you join the team, just thought it would be fun to see the cumulative impact of PJ on this important site.
http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/fans_of_pearl_jam/by/sarah49302542

Comments

• Options
    coerycoery Oklahoma Posts: 56
    Great idea. I will join you.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    this shit is weird
    I'm getting old
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    JB61807JB61807 Posts: 5
    coery said:

Great idea. I will join you.

Thanks coery!

FYI (for everyone): if you affiliate with the Fans of Pearl Jam team on Kiva, they will only credit your loans going forward to the team total. Any previous loans remain as they were.
  • Options
    Make a difference to someone in need in 2016. Make an international loan for as little as $25 -- you will likely get it all back. Or, you can then relend it to another borrower... your $25 could be recycled over and over to do good for years! See link above. Thanks!
  • Options
    smarchee said:

this shit is weird
    I'm getting old

:lol:
    Only was a matter of time before this forum has genuine spam.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Vetted by Pearl Jam?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    smitalsmital Posts: 187
    So it is clear to those who use Kiva (as I have), the money you think you are directing to an individual has already actually been lent to them. At least it was as of 2009 -- the original Kiva model: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/business/global/09kiva.html
  • Options

Vetted by Pearl Jam?

In 2012 or 2013 we learned about Kiva because PJ listed it as one of their recommended nonprofits. Since then we have put $75 into the pot, which has been recycled as eleven $25 loans to people we've chosen in 9 different countries. We have lost maybe $3 due to currency exchanges, but have had no borrower defaults. Be aware that default (losing some of your money) is a possibility though.
  • Options
    smital said:

So it is clear to those who use Kiva (as I have), the money you think you are directing to an individual has already actually been lent to them. At least it was as of 2009 -- the original Kiva model: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/business/global/09kiva.html

Thanks for mentioning that. Nowadays anyway, the money may -or- may not be pre-loaned to them. We have had $25 returned to us, more than once, because the borrower's needed sum could not be raised within 30 days. But either way, the local financial institutions are assisting more borrowers because they know Kiva people are helping fund some of them. Also, I assume the borrower can't always wait 30 days, as they are generally shop owners, farmers, etc.