Options

Music is a powerful trigger

jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
Was out walking my dog my dog this afternoon when Long December came on my iPod, almost immediately I'm thinking of a girlfriend from high school who would sing along every time that song came on the radio. I then started thinking of other songs and albums that have the same effect and instantly transport me back to a different time in my life. When ever I hear anything off of Yield I think of skipping school and buying that album on my birthday. Whenever I hear the first Third Eye Blind album I think of how many times in college that album was on while I was getting laid. If I hear Rusty Cage ( Soundgarden or Cash cover) I think of sitting at Massey Hall in Toronto with my grandfather as cancer ravaged his body while he got to see Johnny Cash one last time- he passed shortly afterwords. When ever I hear 38 years old by the Tragically Hip I remember how that song was always on in my dorm room while drinking with my roommates in collage, who are now no longer alive. If I hear Present Tense I remember when that song came on while on first date with girl who would become my wife and she said to turn it because she loves that song ( that's when I knew we would get along just fine)
I'm sure that this happens to everybody, but this was first time I gave it much thought. For almost every memory I have - good or bad there is a song or album attached to that memory. Amazing how powerful music is.
[img][/img]Kitchener2005
Toronto 2003
Toronto 2000
Barrie 1998
Toronto 1993
London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
Toronto 2009
Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
London 2013
Detroit 2014
Toronto 2016 May 10/12
Chicago 2018 N2
"No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I still have a hard time listening to Radiohead's In Rainbows. When that album was released, I had just found out my then girlfriend was leaving my house to go run around with her jobless, junkie ex-boyfriend (and even letting him stay at her place at times). I seriously thought this girl was going to be "the one." I sank into a deep, dark funk because of that. In Rainbows was released weeks prior to me finding this out and was in continual rotation in my car. I'm long over that girl but that album still reminds me of how sad and depressed I felt at the time, and how I never want to feel that way again. Talk about powerful. Sucks because it's a phenomenal album.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I am
    Just now after 30 ish year able to
    Listen to Hotel California.. Had a repeated 'offense' occur as a child.. And the sick bastarf always played that song.. Got to where I'd freak
    Out and run if I heard it.. Now that those 'issues' have finally been laud to rest, I can listen to it without running away, or vomiting.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,498
    I was listening to ''The wall'' again and again, when my parents get divorce..i don't know why, but it helps a lot..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    k9s4Bernk9s4Bern Posts: 30
    Absolutely I "get" what you are saying - so many memories attached to music throughout the years - The BEST breakup song ever - "Time For Me To Fly" REO Speedwagon - too many to recall. "Sister Golden Hair" by America which I literally thought, when I was just seven or eight years old, was about my oldest sister Sue. "Everyday Is Halloween" on my Walkman (Holy shit I feel old) just seconds before being hit by a truck - I was out for a run - and "Alive" was crucial during my recovery - thus began my love affair with Pearl Jam. Now, I find that each of my five dogs have multiple songs attached to their accoutrement - Sadly, eight weeks ago, I lost my old guy, my 13+ years old English Setter Solomon ("I Love My Setter-Man" to the tune of "Better Man") tragically to GDV. On the way home from the emergency clinic, still in shock from losing my Sol, Sirius radio, channel 22 - PJ, I heard "Long Road" and I had to pull over to until the sobbing subsided, however, what a beautiful and timely tribute to an amazing and worthy soul.

My Tullie dog HAD to be with me on my trek out to Bus 142 - "When I go to cross that river, she is comfort by my side..." Hard Sun" Music is such a strong component of what makes us human - going further, it is essential for us to make sense of, tolerate, share, and endure all that is life. As a high school teacher, I find that music is the ageless connector to and with students - no doubt one of the most powerful gifts we have.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    k9s4Bern said:

Absolutely I "get" what you are saying - so many memories attached to music throughout the years - The BEST breakup song ever - "Time For Me To Fly" REO Speedwagon - too many to recall. "Sister Golden Hair" by America which I literally thought, when I was just seven or eight years old, was about my oldest sister Sue. "Everyday Is Halloween" on my Walkman (Holy shit I feel old) just seconds before being hit by a truck - I was out for a run - and "Alive" was crucial during my recovery - thus began my love affair with Pearl Jam. Now, I find that each of my five dogs have multiple songs attached to their accoutrement - Sadly, eight weeks ago, I lost my old guy, my 13+ years old English Setter Solomon ("I Love My Setter-Man" to the tune of "Better Man") tragically to GDV. On the way home from the emergency clinic, still in shock from losing my Sol, Sirius radio, channel 22 - PJ, I heard "Long Road" and I had to pull over to until the sobbing subsided, however, what a beautiful and timely tribute to an amazing and worthy soul.

My Tullie dog HAD to be with me on my trek out to Bus 142 - "When I go to cross that river, she is comfort by my side..." Hard Sun" Music is such a strong component of what makes us human - going further, it is essential for us to make sense of, tolerate, share, and endure all that is life. As a high school teacher, I find that music is the ageless connector to and with students - no doubt one of the most powerful gifts we have.

To this day I
    Hear the song Pilate, and I miss my two wolf-dogs so so badly !
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I never get memory flashbacks with movies I watch over and over like I do with songs. I've got a number of songs in my cloud that are primarily there for nostalgia reasons. 80s music, dated or not, takes me back to my happy childhood.
  • Options
    TD-2243TD-2243 Posts: 103
    Dude. I know what you mean. Every time I hear Faith No More I weep uncontrollably because the music is so terrible. Lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Too many shows to even begin to remember.
    Long live The Pearl Jams!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of my music...
    https://soundcloud.com/fingerchili
    ------------------------------------------------------------H
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    TD-2243 said:

Dude. I know what you mean. Every time I hear Faith No More I weep uncontrollably because the music is so terrible. Lol

Cool story, Anthony Kiedis.
  • Options
    Yea man, music creates bigtime flashbulb memories. Almost every pearl jam song reminds me of something whether it be good or bad, mostly good.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16