Options

The New York Times published it's first Cover Editorial in 95 years today

Comments

• Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

And yet these "assault weapons" are used in less murders than hammers and other blunt objects.

Yup. Let's round 'em up and destroy 'em all.

This argument is so stupid. I don't get why gun supporters constantly keep trotting it out. You all act like it's your best argument, while it's actually your worst.

Guns are for killing. Hammers are for hammering. Pretty simple. The fact that people can potentially use anything hard or sharp that can be lifted up is totally and completely meaningless.
    Exactly. A gun's entire purpose is being a killing machine. It's designed to kill.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    1vs5 said:

I am a long time Life Endowment Member of the NRA. I own a firearm for home protection. I am ashamed of the NRA's position and fear they have turned into nothing more than a sycophantic lackey of the small arms industry.
    There is no reasonable patriotic stand to justify the ability of American citizens to purchase and own weapons of war. Try hunting duck or deer with an AK47.
    The design intent of these devises is simply to kill as many human beings as possible in the shortest amount of time.
    Our founding fathers allowed for civilian possession of firearms to keep a "well regulated militia" at the ready. Their intent was to protect patriots' rights to possess single shot muzzle-loading flintlocks. The NRA's arguments regarding automatic and semi-automatic modern weapons are specious and, frankly, irrational -- psychotic, if you will.
    America needs to eliminate small arms weapons of war from our streets, our communities and homes. To fail to do so is a grotesque abrogation of civic and civil responsibility.
    Enough is enough, the 2nd Amendment notwithstanding.
    Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

Good to hear a more reasonable stance from an NRA member
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Cross check medical records for mental health issues, no guns for misdemeanor offenders if crime was violent, drug screening would be okay with me, too.

FYI abuse of alcohol and drugs has a far higher correlation with violence than actual mental illness.
    Maybe I'm wrong about this but I consider substance abuse issues to be a former of mental illness.
    After posting I knew this was going to come up. My fault for not being clear; sorry. You're not wrong but I am differentiating mental illnesses such as psychotic illnesses or serious mood disorders (which can of course be complicated by substance abuse) from substance abuse alone.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512

PJ_Soul said:

Guns are not like currency.

I wouldn't expect you to know this but yes they are. A firearm is guarnteed money. They have a price. All of them. Some go for a lot of money too.

dudeman said:

Cross check medical records for mental health issues, no guns for misdemeanor offenders if crime was violent, drug screening would be okay with me, too.

Is this not being done?, I really don't know.
    Only fellons can't legally own guns. Judges have been known to put bans on esser criminals too.
    So vinyl is currency too?? :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    1vs5 said:

I am a long time Life Endowment Member of the NRA. I own a firearm for home protection. I am ashamed of the NRA's position and fear they have turned into nothing more than a sycophantic lackey of the small arms industry.
    There is no reasonable patriotic stand to justify the ability of American citizens to purchase and own weapons of war. Try hunting duck or deer with an AK47.
    The design intent of these devises is simply to kill as many human beings as possible in the shortest amount of time.
    Our founding fathers allowed for civilian possession of firearms to keep a "well regulated militia" at the ready. Their intent was to protect patriots' rights to possess single shot muzzle-loading flintlocks. The NRA's arguments regarding automatic and semi-automatic modern weapons are specious and, frankly, irrational -- psychotic, if you will.
    America needs to eliminate small arms weapons of war from our streets, our communities and homes. To fail to do so is a grotesque abrogation of civic and civil responsibility.
    Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

Common sense and practicality.

Looking at the problem and stating the obvious versus denial and deflection tactics in an attempt to convince yourself no problem exists.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    edited December 2015
    Wrong thread.
    Post edited by PJ88 on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    edited December 2015
    1vs5 said:

Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

While I support the content of what was written you aren't the original author of this post and probably should have posted the link to the original letter which came from another website. I believe this is considered plagiarism.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    1vs5 said:

Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

This reminds me of when Michael Moore went to Charleston Hestons house...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,670

1vs5 said:

Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

While I support the content of what was written you aren't the original author of this post and probably should have posted the link to the original letter which came from another website. I believe this is considered plagiarism.
    I hadn't even thought about that. Here all along I thought we had a PJ forum member from Mendocino who was bold enough to post this with name and home town. I also kind of chuckled reading a post like this from a life-time NRA member in Mendocino, that ultra liberal art colony on the northern California coast.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The letter has an attribution. Not that big a deal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The letter has an attribution. Not that big a deal.

Unless you're from Mendocino. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289

1vs5 said:

Lee Edmundson
    Mendocino, California
    NRA Life Member

It did? What website was that?
  • Options
    Sunday evening. 6 PM. It's dark, the rain's let up, my wife and I go out and enjoy a little quite time and sit around the small fire we built in our fire pit. Suddenly the peaceful evening is ripped open by gunfire. My heart starts racing, anxiety building faster than the flames licking at the thin branches we kept dry.

Oh, it's just some neighbors exercising their constitutional right to target practice on a quite Sunday evening. Right. Got it.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Sunday evening. 6 PM. It's dark, the rain's let up, my wife and I go out and enjoy a little quite time and sit around the small fire we built in our fire pit. Suddenly the peaceful evening is ripped open by gunfire. My heart starts racing, anxiety building faster than the flames licking at the thin branches we kept dry.

Oh, it's just some neighbors exercising their constitutional right to target practice on a quite Sunday evening. Right. Got it.

I'm sorry to hear that, it happens all the time where I live, but distance and dense forest makes it tolerable. I just make sure to disturb their peace when it suits me, with hillbilly hootin', PJ played through a PA and Marshall stack, and very loud dogs.
    It's like a metaphor for American freedom. I can hoot all night when it suits me, but when my neighbors hoot and shoot, I have to accept it when it doesn't suit me.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

I'm sorry to hear that, it happens all the time where I live, but distance and dense forest makes it tolerable. I just make sure to disturb their peace when it suits me, with hillbilly hootin', PJ played through a PA and Marshall stack, and very loud dogs.
    It's like a metaphor for American freedom. I can hoot all night when it suits me, but when my neighbors hoot and shoot, I have to accept it when it doesn't suit me.
    Let me guess, your outdoor deck speaker system looks something like this? :lol:

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    where the hell do some of you people live that you need a gun for 'home protection'? seriously how many people are killed by strangers in their home? the numbers per household are beyond minuscule. it's absurd to think people outside of the baddest neighborhoods in America need a gun for home protection. it's actually kind of laughable to hear people say they need a gun for home protection.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

When I lived rural I did some target practice. I also informed the neighbors when I was doing it so they wouldn't freak out.

Most of the time I just went out to the middle of nowhere to do so...
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

brianlux said:

When I lived rural I did some target practice. I also informed the neighbors when I was doing it so they wouldn't freak out.

Most of the time I just went out to the middle of nowhere to do so...
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Get a load of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGdlxh2PIg

Somebody get me a bucket.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Get a load of this:

I get it but that's a bit much… Just a little bit of fear mongering?
  • Options

brianlux said:

Get a load of this:

Total over the top fear mongering. It's all about fear and hate. The woman is basically telling people to go arm themselves and start shooting Muslims or anyone they suspect might be a Muslim. This isn't some whackado internet site, it's major media, media controlling mind, making fear, generating hate, instigating violence. Plain and simple as that.

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Get a load of this:

Total over the top fear mongering. It's all about fear and hate. The woman is basically telling people to go arm themselves and start shooting Muslims or anyone they suspect might be a Muslim. This isn't some whackado internet site, it's major media, media controlling mind, making fear, generating hate, instigating violence. Plain and simple as that.
    Anybody hear the POTUS' speech yesterday?

Brian I would have expected this type of behavior from Alex Jones, not a major news network...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

brianlux said:

Let me guess, your outdoor deck speaker system looks something like this? :lol:

Hahaha being on the top of the highest hill in Carroll county, they would be hearing Do The Evolution for 5 or 6 miles. Literally.

I also chop wood and work the garden in obscene shorts and no shirt, but they don't zoom by on their wheely-doos much anymore... I've no idea why.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    brianlux said:

Get a load of this:

All right. This is actually becoming terrifying. No joke. This is way scarier than the threat of terrorism to me.
    Seems like this idiot wants to destroy the American tourism industry too.
    BTW, that woman is creepy as hell.
    Well, good fucking luck America. I can't express how happy I am that I don't live there (I'm freaked out enough by that stuff just being as close to the border as I am... and I'm thinking my desire to visit the US any time soon is pretty much gone; I just don't want to get too close to what's going on there right now). Anyone see the comments on the youtube video? Jesus fucking christ. :tired_face:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    All this hate talk reminds me of 9-11. Here we go again. Learned nothing BUT humans love to hate and kill.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    edited December 2015
    That is fear mongering for sure.

I do agree with what she said about the tendency to denigrate all Muslims based on the actions of the few versus denigrating all gun owners based on the actions of the few.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    callen said:

All this hate talk reminds me of 9-11. Here we go again. Learned nothing BUT humans love to hate and kill.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
    Used to be an Irish bar next door to the dollar store. Day or two later this fireman stumbles out for a smoke. Guy is restocking the slippers 3-4 feet away from him. Fireman starts yelling at him, not at all coherent. Guy ignores him at first, until he takes a swing at him then the guy calls out for help. Three guys come out the store armed with broomsticks. Some guys from the bar come out, ostensibly friends of the fireman, one of them leads him away while another diffuses the situation and everyone goes back inside after a few minutes of yelling racial slurs and spewing hatred.
    One side has a guy looking for anyone the right shade of brown to lash out at.
    Other side has their defenses at the ready cuz they're expecting this.
    I didn't understand why those men didn't see that we were all hurting. Some more than others, yes, but a shared pain all the same.

I guess I still don't.

Thread integrity: I dunno nothing about weapons. I never served and I didn't grow up around gun culture, so I don't often have much to say about this other than "no, thank you." Hunting rifles are still used for hunting right? So those are fine, no reason to round them up. But are these automatic/semi automatic things used for hunting? Or just for shooting, like for fun? I think it was Mcgruff mentioned an antique WW2 weapon? I don't think those are an issue either. As far as the investment goes, if we banned all further sales of the machine guns or whatever (I don't know the terminology) wouldn't that make the ones currently safely owned by responsible gun owners more valuable?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    dudeman said:

I do agree with what she said about the tendency to denigrate all Muslims based on the actions of the few versus denigrating all gun owners based on the actions of the few.

I really don't find the two things comparable, for a few reasons, but namely because calling for stricter regulations isn't denigrating at all. No one is on TV absolutely trash talking gun owners and saying that all gun owners need to be kept out of the country and should be treated like criminals when they're aren't doing anything wrong. Come on. People are against the current gun regulations (or lack thereof), not all gun owners. It's not like gun nuts are being stalked and threatened by intimidating people who support better gun regulations. And they aren't being told to get out of the country and being attacked on the streets because they like guns. But Muslims are being stalked by intimidating armed men as they go in and out of their mosque. They are being attacked on the streets. They are being made to feel like they have no right to LIVE in American society. If you really think these two things are in any way similar you have developed a victim mentality. I am actually kind of stunned that you think the two things are reasonably comparable!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,828
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

I really don't find the two things comparable, for a few reasons, but namely because calling for stricter regulations isn't denigrating at all. No one is on TV absolutely trash talking gun owners and saying that all gun owners need to be kept out of the country and should be treated like criminals when they're aren't doing anything wrong. Come on. People are against the current gun regulations (or lack thereof), not all gun owners. It's not like gun nuts are being stalked and threatened by intimidating people who support better gun regulations. And they aren't being told to get out of the country and being attacked on the streets because they like guns. But Muslims are being stalked by intimidating armed men as they go in and out of their mosque. They are being attacked on the streets. They are being made to feel like they have no right to LIVE in American society. If you really think these two things are in any way similar you have developed a victim mentality. I am actually kind of stunned that you think the two things are reasonably comparable!
    gun nuts would be stalked and threatened by people carrying what, scissors? lol.
    But it is the same, a few idiotic muslims ruin it for the entire religion (all though entire sects of them have broken off and declared war against the us and many western countries) just like a vast minority have ruined it for the 100 million law abiding gun owners in america. like i said before, 750,000 pennsylvania hunters went deer hunting last week. think about it, 3/4 of a million weapons and literally millions of bullets out there all at the same time and not one mass shooting or even murder.
    no one is telling gun owners to leave the country because we are all american citizens and people on tv or maybe the editors of the new york times are absolutely trash talking gun owners here in the us.
    by the way, where are muslim being attacked on the street here in the usa?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It's not the calling for stricter gun laws that I take exception to. In fact, I think more should be done to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and crazies. What I find objectionable are phrases like "Guns don't kill people, older white responsible gun owners do." or the insinuation that all gun owners are responsible until they're not. The blanket judgment of all gun owners as illiterate, inbred rednecks is popular here too.

Of course there are differences between the actions taken against Muslims and gun owners. Only an idiot would argue otherwise. However, the public perception of law abiding gun owners is under attack, especially here on AMT. The fact that some of those people who pass judgement against gun owners based on the actions of a few are some of the same people defending Muslims despite the actions of a few, is pretty hypocritical, IMO.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV