Options

Bands you know are good,by popularity but you just don't like

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    I keep seeing the work "hate" on this thread? Really? How do you "hate" any music? Wow- seriously, I just don't get that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Very surprised to see DMB mentioned a few times. I honestly have them up there as the best band in terms of sheer quality of the stuff they play. I've heard bits of musical perfection over and over again on their Central Park live album which IMO is the greatest single night performance I've ever heard.
    Whoever said The Beatles I'm right with you. And even though I think they're pretty groovy musically, I could never get into the lyrics or vocals of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Others who come to mind - Queen, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, definitely Journey. Journey drives me crazy.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Rage Against The Machine

whoa whoa whoa whoa

watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?
    I just don't get the whole Rage thing. Never did care for 'em. Not even as an angsty teen.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    Rush
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options

Very surprised to see DMB mentioned a few times. I honestly have them up there as the best band in terms of sheer quality of the stuff they play. I've heard bits of musical perfection over and over again on their Central Park live album which IMO is the greatest single night performance I've ever heard.
    Whoever said The Beatles I'm right with you. And even though I think they're pretty groovy musically, I could never get into the lyrics or vocals of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Others who come to mind - Queen, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, definitely Journey. Journey drives me crazy.

Don't worry. Your instincts are correct- they're awesome. Awesome.

Don't judge the haters though- they simply now not what they do.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Phish- horrendous.

Just... freaking... horrendous.

Everytime I hear a Phish song I think "No, no this can't be real. No one can enjoy listening to this."

It's so bad that I am mildly entertained by like half a song before I lose my mind.
    Okay...

Serious question: would you rather listen to Phish on quality headphones for 1 hour straight... or watch two episodes of Caillou back to back?
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Phish does suck
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i cant think of barely any bands i dont like although perhaps got sick of some and one i only like one song but couldnt stand the band or the rest of their music was ''meatloaf''
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Forgot about Meatloaf,some bad shit there
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    edited December 2015
    Meatloaf did act in probably the greatest movie in a generation, "To Catch a Yeti"! How he was not even nominated for an Academy Award I will never know! Damn you Hollywood bureaucrats!
    Post edited by PJ88 on
  • Options
    I know u2 are bad, the singers voice is terrible, cant sing for shit.
  • Options
    TGarden said:

I know u2 are bad, the singers voice is terrible, cant sing for shit.

Wasn't always like that's he's an older feller now.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

Phish- horrendous.

Everytime I hear a Phish song I think "No, no this can't be real. No one can enjoy listening to this."

It's so bad that I am mildly entertained by like half a song before I lose my mind.
    Okay...

Serious question: would you rather listen to Phish on quality headphones for 1 hour straight... or watch two episodes of Caillou back to back?
    There's nothing worse in the world than Caillou... except maybe that Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. My youngest watched that for a month. Even she hated that little kid after a short while.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    The fucking eagles. kill me now.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    Can't understand how some people find the following bands appealing:

Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Dave Matthews Band
    Grateful Dead (like Touch of Grey though) and by extension, Phish

Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Phish- horrendous.

Okay...

There's nothing worse in the world than Caillou... except maybe that Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. My youngest watched that for a month. Even she hated that little kid after a short while.
    So a tough question, eh?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited December 2015
    brianlux said:

I keep seeing the work "hate" on this thread? Really? How do you "hate" any music? Wow- seriously, I just don't get that.

I play fast and loose with "hate", lol. Sometimes "dislike" simply doesn't express the passion of my rejection of a thing, lol.
    Frankly never understood why people saying they hate something bothers some others. It's just a word meant to express strong feelings. It's like the difference between fudge and fuck. It matters! :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I do agree with the distaste of the Eagles music but must admit the song DESPERADO has the potential to be a great HARD ROCK cover,could be turned into a pretty seriously good song with the right edge

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

Black Keys for sure. They sound soulless IMO.

How much of their catalogue have you heard?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Bruce Springsteen
    Rush
    Styx
    Bob Dylan
    Eminem (esp. dislike)
    Most DMB stuff
    Nine Inch Nails (just awful)
    Nearly all country music after 1975
    Skirllex or whatever all this drug music is called
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Bruce Springsteen
    Rush
    Styx
    Bob Dylan
    Eminem (esp. dislike)
    Most DMB stuff
    Nine Inch Nails (just awful)
    Nearly all country music after 1975
    Skirllex or whatever all this drug music is called

Hmmm. Bruce... gotta comment on that one. Bruce's lyrics are absolute brilliance. If he lived 150 years ago, he's Emerson or Thoreau and we would be studying him in school. Same with Bob Dylan. They are the American poets of the late 20th century. Bruce writes more lyrics in one song than some write on an album. And the pictures he paints are detailed reflections of the American dream, sometimes lost, sometimes found. And they reflect the fabric of the US, especially for those of us from the blue collar districts. Bruce is a genius.
  • Options
    Let me clarify. I dislike and/or don't get the appeal. Hate. No.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Literally all of it. I gave them a super fair shot (and friends dig them). I even had a few of their albums (traded them in for store credit, lol). Theu seriously do nothing for me. They give me a really blah feeling that finally became intolerable to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Literally all of it. I gave them a super fair shot (and friends dig them). I even had a few of their albums (traded them in for store credit, lol). Theu seriously do nothing for me. They give me a really blah feeling that finally became intolerable to me.
    I like them and have seen them a few times and enjoy it. In an era with few good musical options, they are attractive. If they were in the early 70's or 90's, I think they would be considered average to forgettable. I prefer they heavy blues stuff early in the days.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I like them and have seen them a few times and enjoy it. In an era with few good musical options, they are attractive. If they were in the early 70's or 90's, I think they would be considered average to forgettable. I prefer they heavy blues stuff early in the days.
    Yeah, I know they're good based on popularity but I hate them anyway. ;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

I play fast and loose with "hate", lol. Sometimes "dislike" simply doesn't express the passion of my rejection of a thing, lol.
    Frankly never understood why people saying they hate something bothers some others. It's just a word meant to express strong feelings. It's like the difference between fudge and fuck. It matters! :lol:
    Damn it, I hate it when you're right, PJ_Soul! :anguished:

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Alice Cooper (worst voice I have heard I think)
    Van Halen (great in the DLRoth days but seriously embarrassing today,the vocals on this years live album are horrendous)

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    red mos said:

Tool- I like a few songs, and have seen them live, but just can't get into them hardcore.

whoa whoa whoa whoa

watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited December 2015

Okay...

Fuck Cailou
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846

Phish- horrendous.

Okay...

I just saw this question, and I had to google Caillou because I never heard of it lol.

I just watched literally one minute and Caillou seems like a whiny little brat. Give me Phish for one hour only!!!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2