Options

The Echoes Of Ahmed's Clock In Muslim History

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited September 2015
    brianlux said:

^^^
    I just hope that the other poor muslim guy that Maher brought attention to in this video is allright.
    By the way have you ever seen the inside of a toaster? Yep, looks like a toaster to me.

THAT is a toaster??
    Yes http://www.circuitben.net/node/5

edit - or maybe it is just something to do with a toaster,
    either way I call it a toaster
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

I live about 25 miles from Irving, TX, where this took place. It's a bedroom community of Dallas, I think maybe 200K people. Lots of local coverage of Ahmed's arrest, as you can imagine. I think one of the more interesting things I've learned is that It's very common for the Irving school district to call the police to intervene on disciplinary matters. The Irving P.D. is scrambling right now to do damage control and stress that he isn't being charged with anything, but the school district stood by their decision to suspend him for 3 days. The principal sent home a letter to parents on the day of the arrest touting how they had averted a possible threat. Now the district is making it known that since Ahmed doesn't want to return to that school, he'll be welcome at one of the other high schools. Even our ultra conservative governor has said that it was an overreach to arrest the boy. I'm curious to see the next events and also hoping this kid soon gets to go back to being a kid.

g under p, thanks for your post. I'm only slightly aware of the contributions to math, science, astronomy, among others, that came out of the Middle East. I know that if it weren't for our system of Arabic numerals, we might all be trying to do long division with Roman numerals. :wink:

Thanks Who Princess for your info from down your way. Let's hope he can get back in school to continue his education. Here's Bill Maher's take on all this and I liked what Chris Mathews had to say....

http://youtu.be/aGit-XltUB4

Peace
    spot on. Maher is correct. and the people complaining would they feel the same way if a muslim kid brought a clock like that into their child's school and the teachers did nothing? clearly the kid shouldn't have been put in handcuffs but the teacher did the right thing.
    I don't know why people can't understand this. It's all or nothing in this country. I would hope and pray that if I my kid was in a school and any teacher in the school had even the smallest inclination that there was a bomb that they would say something. And go figure, the Texas authorities fucked it up after
    I haven't heard or watched Maher in several years, but I'm kind of surprised to see him take the position of excuse making and sympathy for authority when someone's rights are trampled. He seems like someone who's aware that it's primarily white kids killing people at school, but then saying that 'well of course they're worried because Muslims blow people up' line. I always thought he was more thoughtful than that.
    what rights were trampled? the authorities have a right to handcuff you and question you when something suspicious occurs. the kids rights weren't trampled. of course it was stupid to handcuff the kid but it wasn't something the police weren't allowed to do.

as for his comments on Muslims he mostly refers to terrorism and wasn't referring to just in school violence. week to week he often talks about how the Muslim religion promotes a culture of violence like his mention of that one guy. they are going to behead the guy for religious reasons.
    It was already determined that it wasn't a bomb, so nothing suspicious has occurred. If I leave a backpack in a public space, and someone calls the cops and the cops come and open the backpack and see there's no bomb in it, they do not have the right to cuff and detain me. And Maher should know the real problem is fundamentalism. Fundamentalism takes many forms, religious and otherwise. Based on this and his hairstyle, I see he's taken a back slide.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718

brianlux said:

^^^
    I just hope that the other poor muslim guy that Maher brought attention to in this video is allright.
    By the way have you ever seen the inside of a toaster? Yep, looks like a toaster to me.

THAT is a toaster??
    Yes http://www.circuitben.net/node/5

edit - or maybe it is just something to do with a toaster,
    either way I call it a toaster
    Toaster it is!

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

I live about 25 miles from Irving, TX, where this took place. It's a bedroom community of Dallas, I think maybe 200K people. Lots of local coverage of Ahmed's arrest, as you can imagine. I think one of the more interesting things I've learned is that It's very common for the Irving school district to call the police to intervene on disciplinary matters. The Irving P.D. is scrambling right now to do damage control and stress that he isn't being charged with anything, but the school district stood by their decision to suspend him for 3 days. The principal sent home a letter to parents on the day of the arrest touting how they had averted a possible threat. Now the district is making it known that since Ahmed doesn't want to return to that school, he'll be welcome at one of the other high schools. Even our ultra conservative governor has said that it was an overreach to arrest the boy. I'm curious to see the next events and also hoping this kid soon gets to go back to being a kid.

g under p, thanks for your post. I'm only slightly aware of the contributions to math, science, astronomy, among others, that came out of the Middle East. I know that if it weren't for our system of Arabic numerals, we might all be trying to do long division with Roman numerals. :wink:

Thanks Who Princess for your info from down your way. Let's hope he can get back in school to continue his education. Here's Bill Maher's take on all this and I liked what Chris Mathews had to say....

Peace
    spot on. Maher is correct. and the people complaining would they feel the same way if a muslim kid brought a clock like that into their child's school and the teachers did nothing? clearly the kid shouldn't have been put in handcuffs but the teacher did the right thing.
    I don't know why people can't understand this. It's all or nothing in this country. I would hope and pray that if I my kid was in a school and any teacher in the school had even the smallest inclination that there was a bomb that they would say something. And go figure, the Texas authorities fucked it up after
    I haven't heard or watched Maher in several years, but I'm kind of surprised to see him take the position of excuse making and sympathy for authority when someone's rights are trampled. He seems like someone who's aware that it's primarily white kids killing people at school, but then saying that 'well of course they're worried because Muslims blow people up' line. I always thought he was more thoughtful than that.
    what rights were trampled? the authorities have a right to handcuff you and question you when something suspicious occurs. the kids rights weren't trampled. of course it was stupid to handcuff the kid but it wasn't something the police weren't allowed to do.

as for his comments on Muslims he mostly refers to terrorism and wasn't referring to just in school violence. week to week he often talks about how the Muslim religion promotes a culture of violence like his mention of that one guy. they are going to behead the guy for religious reasons.
    It was already determined that it wasn't a bomb, so nothing suspicious has occurred. If I leave a backpack in a public space, and someone calls the cops and the cops come and open the backpack and see there's no bomb in it, they do not have the right to cuff and detain me. And Maher should know the real problem is fundamentalism. Fundamentalism takes many forms, religious and otherwise. Based on this and his hairstyle, I see he's taken a back slide.
    That what I keep coming back to - the cuffs. This little scrawny brainy kid in cuffs. Good grief!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited September 2015
    As we move forward learning about this issue of the building of Ahmed's clock it's best to see ALL SIDES. Here we have a side that believes that Ahmed's clock is all a fraud, please give it a read....

I guess Richard Dawkins has as much of a problem with clockmakers as watchmakers. I'm not sure where Ahmed said he *invented* this clock or a clock.

You must click on the link for special Richard Dawkins Twitter content....

The hallowed Richard Dawkins has exposed the Truth to all of us ignorami: Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old science buff and American Muslim of Sudanese descent who was arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school to show off to his teachers, may have actually wanted to be arrested. This could all be part of an elaborate (Muslim) conspiracy, Dawkins assures us.

Dawkins, a self-professed “anti-theist” who maintains religion is the “root of all evil”—that is to say an anti-religious fundamentalist—took to Twitter to condemn the young boy for having the temerity to say he “invented” a clock.

“Disassembling & reassembling is great. But you shouldn’t then claim it was your ‘invention’,” Dawkins avers. Ahmed “disassembled & reassembled a clock (which is fine) & then claimed it was his ‘invention’ (which is fraud),” Dawkins adds. He subsequently reiterates the charge of “fraud.”

After being called out for accusing a pubescent child of fraud, Dawkins graciously acknowledges “OK, fraudulent claiming of an ‘invention’ is not heinous.” The 74-year-old evolutionary biologist still however proceeds to rail against the fledgling engineer 60 years young than him.

Dawkins promptly uses scare quotes to refer to the 14-year-old child as a “kid,” calling into doubt the sincerity of his youth.

He then implies the young boy’s clock “looks like [a] hoax,” because Ahmed may have used a preexisting device to make it.

“Assembling clock from bought components is fine. Taking clock out of its case to make it look as if he built it is not fine. Which is true?” Dawkins questions. (How dare a 14-year-old not build a clock from scratch! Something larger and more iniquitous must clearly be afoot!)

Dawkins then posts a video titled “Ahmed Mohammed Clock is a FRAUD,” commenting “If this is true, what was his motive?” and adding that Ahmed may have “wanted the police the to arrest him.”

When asked “what do you think Ahmed’s motives were?” Dawkins replies “Possibly wanted to be arrested? Police played into his hands? Anyway, now invited to White House, crowdfunded etc.”

In other words, Dawkins speculates the 14-year-old boy may have planned this, because Ahmed doubtless knew he would get invited to the White House—and not thrown in prison—in response, no question.

Going out on an precarious limb for a moment, Dawkins proceeds to dabble in the orientalist, suggesting that Ahmed Mohamed—who is American and speaks fluent English—may not “know the meaning of ‘invention'”—”although his English seems good,” Dawkins recognizes.

Later, Dawkins laments he felt he had been a “fool” for “jump[ing] on the bandwagon.”

Dawkins does concede that Ahmed “should most certainly NOT have been arrested, handcuffed etc.,” and he admits that, if the young boy had been white, “he would never have been arrested.”

“But his motives remain questionable” Dawkins still insists, referring to Ahmed.

In doing so, Dawkins has revealed himself to be a whole new breed of conspiracy theorist: The Ahmed Mohamed Truther.

Like 9/11 Truthers—who claim the US and/or Israeli governments planned the September 11 attacks—or Sandy Hook Truthers—who insist the December 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a conspiracy—or a whole slew of other conspiracy-minded folks who choose the truthiness appellation, Dawkins the Clock Kid Truther is on to something the rest of us brainwashed sheeple can’t possibly imagine!

.....And don’t worry, Dawkins’ conspiracy has been corroborated by far-right conspiracy theorist kingpin Alex Jones’ Infowars, so we know it’s true!

http://bennorton.com/richard-dawkins-has-a-conspiracy-theory-clock-kid-ahmed-mohamed-wanted-to-be-arrested/

While reading more into this clock making I came across this video demonstrating how his clock is a fraud. I still though I'm trying to figure out where this notion came that Ahmed invented this clock, I've ONLY heard him say he built this device....

http://youtu.be/CEmSwJTqpgY

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    His rights were trampled? Yea. Poor kid.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    People willing to give up their rights out of fear is what I have a big issue with.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    People willing to give up their rights out of fear is what I have a big issue with.
    Taking precautions is not a good thing?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    why? some people rather feel safe than let every person do whatever the hell they want. without rules there is anarchy..

and what can't the average american do today that they would legally do 10-20 years ago? what have we given up when you refer to giving up certain rights?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    why? some people rather feel safe than let every person do whatever the hell they want. without rules there is anarchy..

and what can't the average american do today that they would legally do 10-20 years ago? what have we given up when you refer to giving up certain rights?
    Interesting question. I came up with:
    -Be brown and get on a commercial plane without an invasive body search.
    -Be anybody and get on a commercial plane without a lot of hassle.
    - Be anonymous
    -Be brown, black, red or yellow and take a home made clock to school.
    -Take LSD
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Interesting question. I came up with:
    -Be brown and get on a commercial plane without an invasive body search.
    -Be anybody and get on a commercial plane without a lot of hassle.
    - Be anonymous
    -Be brown, black, red or yellow and take a home made clock to school.
    -Take LSD
    well the average american citizen is not brown so uhh try again?

is not taking off your shoes and belt a right? and is it worth complaining about? Before 2001 you still had to go through a metal detector at the airport. it really isn't all that much different.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    Nobody's rights were given up. WE GIVE THE POLICE THE AUTHORITY TO DETAIN SUSPECTED CRIMINALS.

Sorry for the caps.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    Nobody's rights were given up. WE GIVE THE POLICE THE AUTHORITY TO DETAIN SUSPECTED CRIMINALS.

Sorry for the caps.
    What do you not understand? He wasn't a suspected criminal when he was detained. It was already determined that it wasn't a bomb.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Why? Because people are giving up rights for only perceived safety, not actual safety. People are being manipulated by politicians pushing a message of fear ("it could happen") and the result if things like the Patriot Act. The violation of constitutional rights happen on a more individual basis, so it's easy for people to rationalize it away when it happens to someone else. People are willing to give up on probable cause when the cops are stopping others.
  • Options
    I personally disagree with this. His dad was a known race baiter. He has had multiple incidents where he claimed racism for being Muslim.

I feel he knew exactly how everyone would react to a suitcase "clock" that resembles a suicide bomb more than anything else at all.

I agree he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent. If the situation were reversed and he did actually bring a bomb, but nothing was done, then the school would have been ridiculed and berated to death over why they didn't do something to stop the situation.

So again, the kid being arrested I fully agree with. They should have brought in the whole family and had homeland security question and interrogate them all. Maybe some torture. Just to get to the root of the problem
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I personally disagree with this. His dad was a known race baiter. He has had multiple incidents where he claimed racism for being Muslim.

I feel he knew exactly how everyone would react to a suitcase "clock" that resembles a suicide bomb more than anything else at all.

I agree he should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent. If the situation were reversed and he did actually bring a bomb, but nothing was done, then the school would have been ridiculed and berated to death over why they didn't do something to stop the situation.

So again, the kid being arrested I fully agree with. They should have brought in the whole family and had homeland security question and interrogate them all. Maybe some torture. Just to get to the root of the problem

Seriously?

Jesus.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited September 2015

Sources and back up on Dads past actions?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Sorry for the caps.
    What do you not understand? He wasn't a suspected criminal when he was detained. It was already determined that it wasn't a bomb.
    Ohhhhhhh so he wasn't a suspect? Ok.

Does my sarcasm show?
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Why? Because people are giving up rights for only perceived safety, not actual safety. People are being manipulated by politicians pushing a message of fear ("it could happen") and the result if things like the Patriot Act. The violation of constitutional rights happen on a more individual basis, so it's easy for people to rationalize it away when it happens to someone else. People are willing to give up on probable cause when the cops are stopping others.
    so are you saying that someone (never mind a Muslim kid) bringing an electronic device into school without permission is not probable cause to look at the device and question the kid?

as much as you say politicians use fear the other side like yourself who use comments like 'giving up your rights' are doing just as much of the same. it's as much a rhetoric of fear as the other side. some are trying to make it seem like the average American has given up a bunch of their rights...and it's just not true. the average american's life has not been changed by the Patriot Act at all.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544

Once again spoke like a true christian
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

Seriously?

Jesus.

I think it is official now, JAG is a troll here with the purpose of riling us.
    There is no way that is not the case. I wish we could collectively "block" this child, I fear someone with real and valued input (myself included) will be banned for responding to this bridge-dweller.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

so are you saying that someone (never mind a Muslim kid) bringing an electronic device into school without permission is not probable cause to look at the device and question the kid?

as much as you say politicians use fear the other side like yourself who use comments like 'giving up your rights' are doing just as much of the same. it's as much a rhetoric of fear as the other side. some are trying to make it seem like the average American has given up a bunch of their rights...and it's just not true. the average american's life has not been changed by the Patriot Act at all.
    I think the point being made that is being missed is this:
    He was cuffed and perp walked AFTER it was determined to be a clock.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

Seriously?

Jesus.

There is no way that is not the case. I wish we could collectively "block" this child, I fear someone with real and valued input (myself included) will be banned for responding to this bridge-dweller.
    I have been told to use the block feature, but I couldn't figure out how.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I (and many others here) are capable of responding a non-ban-worthy manner :innocent:

By the way, I did a quick search about the supposed "race baiting" on Ahmed's father's part but couldn't find anything.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    why is this topic getting so much attention ?

Godfather.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    hedonist said:

I (and many others here) are capable of responding a non-ban-worthy manner :innocent:

By the way, I did a quick search about the supposed "race baiting" on Ahmed's father's part but couldn't find anything.

Of course you couldn't
  • Options
    So what is happening in the world that this has become such a huge issue, lol?!?

OK So I have some questions:

If all the kid did was actually open up a clock and pretend that he made it, isn't that fraudulent?

If it is indeed just a clock then he is fooling a whole bunch of people, the POTUS is one of them...

Why put it in a "briefcase"?

Why say in an interview (the kid) that you didn't want it to look suspicious?

If they really thought it was a bomb (the school and authorities) was the bomb squad called?

Was the school on lockdown?

Were any parents notified of the situation?

This seems like one huge screwup on all accounts...

• Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited September 2015
    I love how every time I disagree I'm called a troll. A troll is someone who posts stuff just for attention.

I don't. I simply post how I feel, and since everyone seems to disagree, I'm called that. I am not. That's just your defense mechanisms kicking in to comfort you since you can't grasp my feelings on things.

And when I'm not being called a troll, I'm told "how Christian" is that all you can say? Am I that correct that you have zero to argue against what I said? It's just another direct insult to me and my religion. You guys love minimizing my lord and savior when you wouldn't even exist if he didn't create you.

And Google about his dad. The info is out there. I've seen it. 8 or 9 different cases of the stuff.

Wasn't the school right to question this over safety? Does it not look like a suitcase bomb? It DOES. That's why everyone's talking about it.

Some people just need to wake up and smell the coffee. The world is so different from what you guys try and portray it to be. When I prove how I am right and you're wrong about stuff, the thread either gets flagged and locked or dropped. That's fine too, makes me feel like I'm winning the battle.

Remember the 9/11 thread? How many people screamed troll then went on to learn a ton of info on how it was an inside job? People who claim to teach the subject were waking up. Think about this before screaming troll because you're not intelligent enough to see through the bullshit
    Post edited by JUST A GIRL on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

Seriously?

Jesus.

I didn't realize your $20 membership was more important than mine. Don't worry, I've been bullied, attacked, my religion shit on, and I've yet to flag anything. So feel free to rip me apart, everyone else does and doesn't get in trouble. Seems like the fun new game. Give it a spin.

You just might get that dopamine hit your body craves.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I saw the clock on a news site.....hell yes it looked like a bomb if indeed it was the clock this "poor young man" made.

Godfather.