Options

The Echoes Of Ahmed's Clock In Muslim History

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
edited September 2015 in A Moving Train

Yesterday while reading through the thread I was really bothered when a member here on the Train referred to him as a *little offended muslim*. He just wanted to build something to impress his teachers, something he could be proud of, something that would possibly allow him to fit in while attending a his new High school. A clock he built in a weekend, something I couldn't fathom building in a year. This after coming from a middle school where he was called a terriost possibly due to his race and religion....could this have been thing that drove him to create, build, invent something that could lead to the likes of Nikola Tesla, Edison or was it something else from his Muslim history/tradition that is centuries old?

Mohamed later noted in a news conference that he does have an invention of his own, one that he doesn’t want to describe in too much detail because he wants “to patent it” first. This Muslim boy who now has been invited to the White House has plans that fit exquisitely into a lengthy and layered, if bumpy and uneven, Muslim tradition of contributing to positive advances in science and technology.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2015/09/18/ahmed-mohameds-clock-carries-on-muslim-tradition/

So from a negative comment towards a young teen who took an initiative step to do something positive who knows what he could create in ten years. I'm going to take a positive look at this and learn a bit more about a culture I know not much about other than every now and then given the name of the t-word. One of my other mottos that I TRY to live by *Stay Human*..,,continue to have a great weekend everybody.

Here's a bit more on some of the top clock inventions in Muslim history....

http://www.muslimheritage.com/article/top-seven-ingenious-clocks-muslim-civilisation-defied-middle-ages

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by g under p on

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    And they knew it wasn't a bomb...why didn't they evacuate the school if they thought it was a bomb?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers. (Voltaire)

It was the quote Forbes displayed when pressing on the link you provided.

* Offered for no reason other than I liked it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    An over reaction, by all sides.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Sarah Palin's Facebook post makes it all clear. (I'm going for irony.)
    https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin?fref=ts
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Excellent thread, G. Very positive, big thumbs up. I hope we all take this as an opportunity to learn something.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    I'm glad teacher said something. If it was my kids school id want the teacher to say something.
  • Options
    Very eye-opening articles OP.
    It won't be very long before we read articles and headlines such as
    "Schools report seeing an increase in homemade electronic devices"
    or
    "Increase in obscure electronic experiments banned in schools"
    or
    "Schools overwhelmed with unknown objects being brought to school"
    or
    "Police see an overwhelming increase in calls from schools show and tell projects"

All because they want a chance at meeting the potus.
    Society is messed up.
    I would not want to be a teacher right now and have an increase in homemade electronic devices brought to the class for show and tell thank you very much.
  • Options

or
    or
    or
    "Police see an overwhelming increase in calls from schools show and tell projects"

Society is messed up.
    I would not want to be a teacher right now and have an increase in homemade electronic devices brought to the class for show and tell thank you very much.

Keep living in fear, keeps the job simple.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

or
    or
    or

Society is messed up.

Keep living in fear, keeps the job simple.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,634

All sides? No. An overreaction by the school staff and the cops. When is Texas seceding again?
  • Options

All sides? No. An overreaction by the school staff and the cops. When is Texas seceding again?
    nice
  • Options

nice
    Thanks??
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I live about 25 miles from Irving, TX, where this took place. It's a bedroom community of Dallas, I think maybe 200K people. Lots of local coverage of Ahmed's arrest, as you can imagine. I think one of the more interesting things I've learned is that It's very common for the Irving school district to call the police to intervene on disciplinary matters. The Irving P.D. is scrambling right now to do damage control and stress that he isn't being charged with anything, but the school district stood by their decision to suspend him for 3 days. The principal sent home a letter to parents on the day of the arrest touting how they had averted a possible threat. Now the district is making it known that since Ahmed doesn't want to return to that school, he'll be welcome at one of the other high schools. Even our ultra conservative governor has said that it was an overreach to arrest the boy. I'm curious to see the next events and also hoping this kid soon gets to go back to being a kid.

g under p, thanks for your post. I'm only slightly aware of the contributions to math, science, astronomy, among others, that came out of the Middle East. I know that if it weren't for our system of Arabic numerals, we might all be trying to do long division with Roman numerals. :wink:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

And by the people throwing the biggest fits about this kids rights being violated. They clearly were not.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Enkidu said:

Sarah Palin's Facebook post makes it all clear. (I'm going for irony.)
    https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin?fref=ts

Let's add the opinions of the abstinence queen to the mix.....

Bristol Palin Terrified Her Baby Will Get Arrested For Being Muslim Science Terrorist - Wonkette
    http://wonkette.com/594099/bristol-palin-terrified-her-baby-will-get-arrested-for-being-muslim-science-terrorist?google_editors_picks=true
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Excellent thread, G. Very positive, big thumbs up. I hope we all take this as an opportunity to learn something.

It's all good Brian it's all good. I just saw an opportunity turn the negativity that seem to be building in the other thread to learn something else about a culture, Muslim history on inventions.

I myself find myself guilty of forming an opinion without all the facts and investigation has come forth here in this situation and others. Some here have voiced themselves saying the main reason most members are speaking up is because this teen is Muslim.

For me that is certainly NOT the case. I saw myself in Ahmed in what he was trying to do in impressing his new teachers, in a new school. I like Ahmed in my freshman year tried to impress my teachers as well. Not through building a clock mind you but through athletics. In that 9th grade year I went through 3 high schools in two states a thousand miles apart. In one I became the top player in table tennis and another it was baseball/basketball. So I could understand why Ahmed wanted to fit in by building this clock....similar to how I wanted to fit in the schools I attended that freshman year.

Anyway, the more I read up on this teen the more I came across how Muslims were pioneers in building clocks centuries ago and that was something I was just unaware of. My point here is if it's possible for any of us to open ourselves to learning something, anything about ANY culture, heritage or history. Why not TRY and start with this one.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

And by the people throwing the biggest fits about this kids rights being violated. They clearly were not.
    His rights weren't violated? I didn't know you could be handcuffed and detained for doing something that's not illegal.
  • Options

His rights weren't violated? I didn't know you could be handcuffed and detained for doing something that's not illegal.
    If you are a suspected bomb maker you can't be handcuffed? I'm pretty sure you can.
  • Options
    Question (and let's be honest here): If the clock had been brought to this school, this class by a blonde haired, blue eyed scrawny little white girl who rides a pink Schwinn to school, would she have been cuffed? Would the cops have been called? Would we be talking about this?

(Yeah, I know, that was three questions :wink: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    brianlux said:

Question (and let's be honest here): If the clock had been brought to this school, this class by a blonde haired, blue eyed scrawny little white girl who rides a pink Schwinn to school, would she have been cuffed? Would the cops have been called? Would we be talking about this?

Is that a Schwinn Stingray with the apehangers and banana seat?
  • Options

brianlux said:

Is that a Schwinn Stingray with the apehangers and banana seat?
    Absolutely! And the ace of spades clothed pinned into the spokes!

• Options
    edited September 2015

I live about 25 miles from Irving, TX, where this took place. It's a bedroom community of Dallas, I think maybe 200K people. Lots of local coverage of Ahmed's arrest, as you can imagine. I think one of the more interesting things I've learned is that It's very common for the Irving school district to call the police to intervene on disciplinary matters. The Irving P.D. is scrambling right now to do damage control and stress that he isn't being charged with anything, but the school district stood by their decision to suspend him for 3 days. The principal sent home a letter to parents on the day of the arrest touting how they had averted a possible threat. Now the district is making it known that since Ahmed doesn't want to return to that school, he'll be welcome at one of the other high schools. Even our ultra conservative governor has said that it was an overreach to arrest the boy. I'm curious to see the next events and also hoping this kid soon gets to go back to being a kid.

g under p, thanks for your post. I'm only slightly aware of the contributions to math, science, astronomy, among others, that came out of the Middle East. I know that if it weren't for our system of Arabic numerals, we might all be trying to do long division with Roman numerals. :wink:

Thanks Who Princess for your info from down your way. Let's hope he can get back in school to continue his education. Here's Bill Maher's take on all this and I liked what Chris Mathews had to say....

http://youtu.be/aGit-XltUB4

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    g under p said:

Thanks Who Princess for your info from down your way. Let's hope he can get back in school to continue his education. Here's Bill Maher's take on all this and I liked what Chris Mathews had to say....

Peace
    spot on. Maher is correct. and the people complaining would they feel the same way if a muslim kid brought a clock like that into their child's school and the teachers did nothing? clearly the kid shouldn't have been put in handcuffs but the teacher did the right thing.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    spot on. Maher is correct. and the people complaining would they feel the same way if a muslim kid brought a clock like that into their child's school and the teachers did nothing? clearly the kid shouldn't have been put in handcuffs but the teacher did the right thing.
    I don't know why people can't understand this. It's all or nothing in this country. I would hope and pray that if I my kid was in a school and any teacher in the school had even the smallest inclination that there was a bomb that they would say something. And go figure, the Texas authorities fucked it up after
  • Options

If you are a suspected bomb maker you can't be handcuffed? I'm pretty sure you can.
    Even after it's determined it's not a bomb, so therefore you're not a suspected bomb maker. Pretty sure you can't.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ^^^
    I just hope that the other poor muslim guy that Maher brought attention to in this video is allright.
    By the way have you ever seen the inside of a toaster? Yep, looks like a toaster to me.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    I don't know why people can't understand this. It's all or nothing in this country. I would hope and pray that if I my kid was in a school and any teacher in the school had even the smallest inclination that there was a bomb that they would say something. And go figure, the Texas authorities fucked it up after
    I haven't heard or watched Maher in several years, but I'm kind of surprised to see him take the position of excuse making and sympathy for authority when someone's rights are trampled. He seems like someone who's aware that it's primarily white kids killing people at school, but then saying that 'well of course they're worried because Muslims blow people up' line. I always thought he was more thoughtful than that.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    I haven't heard or watched Maher in several years, but I'm kind of surprised to see him take the position of excuse making and sympathy for authority when someone's rights are trampled. He seems like someone who's aware that it's primarily white kids killing people at school, but then saying that 'well of course they're worried because Muslims blow people up' line. I always thought he was more thoughtful than that.
  • Options

^^^
    I just hope that the other poor muslim guy that Maher brought attention to in this video is allright.
    By the way have you ever seen the inside of a toaster? Yep, looks like a toaster to me.

THAT is a toaster?? Are you sure that's not one of those 3-D Printer toasters? :lol:

Re other posts above: OK, some points made by Maher worth considering but, really, handcuffs?

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace
    what rights were trampled? the authorities have a right to handcuff you and question you when something suspicious occurs. the kids rights weren't trampled. of course it was stupid to handcuff the kid but it wasn't something the police weren't allowed to do.

as for his comments on Muslims he mostly refers to terrorism and wasn't referring to just in school violence. week to week he often talks about how the Muslim religion promotes a culture of violence like his mention of that one guy. they are going to behead the guy for religious reasons.