Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    edited May 2015
    If you had the chance of making $800-1000 for something that you got cheap, or were able to trade it for something expensive that you really wanted but normally couldn't afford: Wouldn't you? Not taking into account the "not for resale" clause in this "lottery" of course.

I could donate a backspacer or LB, but if I got something like a Benny or LD, that I already owned (I wish!), I'd trade it for something missing from my collection, that I would't normally shell out for. ...in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

Not right because I only paid $50? Come on!

Post edited by steinba on
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    They'll always be some stuff in my opinion that wont ever get reissued. The demand and need just isnt there. I dont blame anyone for trading a colored pj20 to get a Benny etc. but dont think its ever possible to complete a collection, theres always something.
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    man, i would love to see my tracking change. No change since 27/04/15
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    PJ_Soul said:

I must admit, I'm not sure I understand people feeling anger and are judgemental towards people because they aren't charitable with a record that's worth $300+. I feel like someone who does that is great. Very generous. But i don't expect people to do that. It doesn't seem fair.

. With you!
    Seriously folks, it is theirs they can do whatever they want with it, stop preaching what people should do with their possessions.
    If someone wants to flip or trade it it is their right, they just live with any consequences if they do it. Their choice, let's stop imposing our will on others
  • b-sidesb-sides Posts: 23
    I spend an unhealthy amount of time considering the ethics surrounding the sell and trade of PJ stuff (or any rare memorabilia, I suppose.) Like PJ_Soul said, I don't think we can judge anyone for seeking fair market value in a trade/sell for some of the rare stuff. If they're doing it on here within the community and helping others complete a collection, I think that's cool. Beats them chasing some extra cash on eBay in my opinion. If someone is willing to take less in a sell/trade, or set up a prearranged deal with this mystery vinyl at cost, it's extremely commendable and cool of them. But, it's not fair to expect that of them.

I got the white BS in the sale as previously mentioned. I'm psyched to have a rare-er piece of vinyl to drool over. That said, I posted I'd happily trade it for a studio album I don't have. I don't figure it's super likely, but if I strike up a deal with a collector with a spare studio who wants the BS, great its a win-win. I'm not expecting people to beat my door down to trade a dollar for fifty cents though, and that's fine by me too. I just want stuff to be with people who will spin it like it should be! But, that's not always gonna be the case. No shots at anyone keeping spares in shrink, or buying something to trade later, just not my preference.
    Kansas City, MO-2010
    East Troy, WI Night 1 & 2-2011
    EV Tulsa, OK-2012
    Dallas, TX-2013
    Oklahoma City, OK-2013
    St. Louis, MO-2014
    Tulsa, OK-2014
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    A lot of these types of trades proves that you really need to buy multiples of merch for trading purposes.
  • monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    MedozK said:

Being a completest is a VERY expensive disease.

AMEN!
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Strange as it may sound, I wouldn't trade my PJ20 colored that I got it this sale for a Benny. I know the value difference and all, I'm just so grateful to have scored this record and it will always remind me of these frickin' crazy threads. I guess I'm sentimental that way, plus it's a damn fine record.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Strange as it may sound, I wouldn't trade my PJ20 colored that I got it this sale for a Benny. I know the value difference and all, I'm just so grateful to have scored this record and it will always remind me of these frickin' crazy threads. I guess I'm sentimental that way, plus it's a damn fine record.

Not strange at all. That colored PJ20 is one damn fine lookin set! Congrats on the score!
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I wouldn't have traded a Lost Dogs for a Benny Hall either. :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    If completists run out of things to collect you definitely need all different pressings as well, it is not enough to simply "have Yield" for example. There's US and Euro pressings;)
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • LiveAtLeedsLiveAtLeeds Posts: 141
    I just want all the studio lp's and lost dogs. Anything else would be up for trade to try get me the aforementioned :) however, if I got a benny, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to trade for at least 2 of the studio lp's. I'd offer it out to the forum and if there were no takers I'd open it up and spin the shit out of it haha.
  • AnimalCh1nAnimalCh1n Posts: 83
    What I am hoping for up in Canada:
    1. Benny (pipe dream)
    2. Lost Dogs
    3. RVM
    4. Sevens
    5. Any side project, I guess - as I have the other PJ albums available.
    Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
  • DuncsDuncs Posts: 423
    Received mine over the weekend. RVM and a STBC 7". Chuffed as the Europeans would put it.
  • andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,957
    Duncs said:

Received mine over the weekend. RVM and a STBC 7". Chuffed as the Europeans would put it.

Nice score!
  • monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    Duncs said:

Nice score! Congrats!
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    edited May 2015
    Duncs said:

Excellent. Although with each RVM that pops up, that's one less that has a chance to make it to my house. Hahaha.

I've got my fingers crossed for either a RVM or an Avocado. I know the odds of me receiving those collectively are about 3% but I'm still optimistic.
    I also think the International folks, in a way are enjoying this even more. We have no way to track our packages so there's a daily anticipation when you go to check the mail and we also have no clue about weight so it's all up in the air. Love. it. Regardless of what I receive, I'd do this again in a heartbeat.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Duncs said:

Very nice!
    mrk2 said:

If completists run out of things to collect you definitely need all different pressings as well, it is not enough to simply "have Yield" for example. There's US and Euro pressings;)

I have been doing this for a while, there are still a few EU pressings I need.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941

What I am hoping for up in Canada:
    1. Benny (pipe dream)
    2. Lost Dogs
    3. RVM
    4. Sevens
    5. Any side project, I guess - as I have the other PJ albums available.

I'm hoping for the coloured pj20 set or a sevens on the West Coast of Canada. A Red Lightning Bolt or White Backspacer wouldn't be too shabby either. I've been collecting vinyl since the 90's so I have the original pressings of all the studio releases. I'm more or less looking for the limited alternate pressings that I don't have.

I wouldn't complain if I got a Yield either. My vinyl is in good shape but the front cover had a bit of water damage which resulted in a few white scratches on it. I covered it up with a but of black marker. You can't really tell but it's always bugged me. I guess it's moot as I'd never sell it anyways :)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

I'm trying to stay out of EU pressings and also trying to stay away from OBI cds. If I start doing them things could get ugly...

MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

I'm trying to stay out of EU pressings and also trying to stay away from OBI cds. If I start doing them things could get ugly...
    But OBIs look SO cool.. :smile:
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

But OBIs look SO cool.. :smile:
    They definitely do....but collecting those would break the bank. I wish the US CD pressings used those.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,879
    Mad Season reissue and Santa God xmas single
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    steinba said:

If you had the chance of making $800-1000 for something that you got cheap, or were able to trade it for something expensive that you really wanted but normally couldn't afford: Wouldn't you? Not taking into account the "not for resale" clause in this "lottery" of course.

I could donate a backspacer or LB, but if I got something like a Benny or LD, that I already owned (I wish!), I'd trade it for something missing from my collection, that I would't normally shell out for. ...in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

IMO, selling stuff "not for trade" is scummy. Fans have been trading stuff for over 20 years now..trade and trade away is what I say. If someone ends up with a red and black Lightning Bolt and wants to trade that red one for a poster, that's fine..the "value" of both is in the eyes of those involved in the trade.

However...people are gonna sell stuff because people will people. With that said... starting a Benny at $1.00 and having it end at $800 is one thing...but starting at $755.99 and having it end at $950 is just plain scummy.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    MedozK said:

A lot of these types of trades proves that you really need to buy multiples of merch for trading purposes.

Yeah, I can kind of see that, but I think we all know what it's like to be behind the guy who buys 50 stickers and 25 posters to "afford his tour." I can totally see 1-2 extra posters, but there's definitely an unwritten rule about a limit.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

steinba said:

IMO, selling stuff "not for trade" is scummy. Fans have been trading stuff for over 20 years now..trade and trade away is what I say. If someone ends up with a red and black Lightning Bolt and wants to trade that red one for a poster, that's fine..the "value" of both is in the eyes of those involved in the trade.

However...people are gonna sell stuff because people will people. With that said... starting a Benny at $1.00 and having it end at $800 is one thing...but starting at $755.99 and having it end at $950 is just plain scummy.
    I honestly don't see the difference between these two scenarios. "Starting" at $755.99 implies the reserve is set there. Everyone who bid excitedly between $1.00 and $755.98 and was later disheartened by the fact that they couldn't afford it, no longer has to deal with that elation followed by depression.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited May 2015
    benjs said:

I honestly don't see the difference between these two scenarios. "Starting" at $755.99 implies the reserve is set there. Everyone who bid excitedly between $1.00 and $755.98 and was later disheartened by the fact that they couldn't afford it, no longer has to deal with that elation followed by depression.

I agree. I'd much rather someone set their lowest price they're willing to set it at, rather than start it at $1 and have some invisible reserve price. It simply means at a price lower than $755 the seller isn't willing to part with their vinyl. That's how much it's worth to them. I'm not sure what my price is. It would probably take several grand to convince me to sell my Benaroya... and that would still be a hard sell. I'd rather keep it.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

Hope you collect the Korean LPs too! I like them because the sleeves are different, that Vs has some dodgy Photoshop work on the back and looks worse than some boots.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    FR181798 said:

MedozK said:

mrk2 said:

Hope you collect the Korean LPs too! I like them because the sleeves are different, that Vs has some dodgy Photoshop work on the back and looks worse than some boots.
    Plus Kim Jong Il wrote and performed all the songs on the first 4 PJ albums (while simultaneously shooting a round of 22 on the continent's most challenging golf course) according to North Korean lore.
    This weekend we rock Portland