Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    PhilWalchPhilWalch Posts: 11

Yeah, it's just funny how people complain about flipping.. then want to immediately turn a $60 purchase into a $300-600 trade.
    Help those out who didn't score, or scored a less-than-desirable mystery box!

I can kind of understand using its trade value, someone wants what you got and they match you up with something you need but seeing PJ20 colour for $1200 is just nuts!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PhilWalch said:

Yeah, it's just funny how people complain about flipping.. then want to immediately turn a $60 purchase into a $300-600 trade.

I can kind of understand using its trade value, someone wants what you got and they match you up with something you need but seeing PJ20 colour for $1200 is just nuts!!
    What people have to realize right now is not a good "Sell" time, unless you are giving deals. With the supply increasing of the OOP records, it drives the price down.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Yep. Before all this the PJ20 colored was going for close to $750. Now people want to trade it for a Benny...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    PP193448 said:

Yep. Before all this the PJ20 colored was going for close to $750. Now people want to trade it for a Benny...

Just because they want to it doesn't mean they can, so I'm not sure it matters. But if someone has a spare Benny and wants coloured PJ20, then why not do the trade? That would be very cool of the Benny owner!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yep, its all good. To each their own.
  • Options
    You're right, but realistically it's not the same "market" value. But yes it would be nice of a Benny owner to do. I got shut out of the mystery vinyl sale, so it would be even better for people to let them go for $60 plus shipping to those that don't have duplicates.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    MS35398MS35398 Posts: 26

I hear what you and others saying, and this reply isn't specifically to you but just folks in general, but it cuts both ways. While I'd LOVE to pay $60 to get some super cool PJ vinyl someone else got as a dupe but I don't have, that's about as likely to happen as someone offering me $60 for my Mystery Vinyl, which was a black Backspacer and LBC (I can't believe no one told me "pics or it didn't happen" :>)). But if someone wants to help someone out who got a (charitably) less-than-desirable Mystery Vinyl, you know where to PM me :>)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I must admit, I'm not sure I understand people feeling anger and are judgemental towards people because they aren't charitable with a record that's worth $300+. I feel like someone who does that is great. Very generous. But i don't expect people to do that. It doesn't seem fair.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I just was trying to go to the extreme to prove the point, that people will be selling or trading these for market value immediately without care that they only spent $60 to obtain these. I would probably do the same. There is no anger or judgement here. Just wish there was a little more charity like Medoz for some of these things. I don't expect it, but would be nice...especially given the fact that lots of people got shut out. Lots of these doubles are probably listed on eBay right now. I try to routinely donate extra or stuff I don't need for OYR. I also donate stuff for personal causes on these boards. But oh well. I really don't care about this thread, except trolling to share in the excitement for those that scored. Congrats to everyone regardless. Just hope some of you follow Medoz's footsteps. :peace:
    Post edited by PP193448 on
  • Options
    stukatzstukatz Posts: 110
    MedozK said:

PhilWalch said:

What people have to realize right now is not a good "Sell" time, unless you are giving deals. With the supply increasing of the OOP records, it drives the price down.
    exactly, with so much supply, eventually the price of these "rare" records will drop. those wanting a PJ20 colour, or ITW or whatever else, just wait, trade values and prices will drop no doubt.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wasn't saying you were angry btw PP. Just have seen some people who kind of are. :)
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited May 2015
    Ive been collecting long enough to know selling duplicates or holding onto them for trade is all part of the game. Quite likely that PJ will sell something limited in the future which sells out fast and you miss out. Youve got to think of that eventuality and you'll have something to trade or funds from your eBay sale. If its of no significant value then great to give it away.
    If you get lucky with the mystery vinyl this time you may not be so lucky next time.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Right, I don't expect everyone to be charitable, but it certainly would be nice to see more of it. And you don't get what you want without asking.
  • Options
    It would be better though if people sell or trade on these boards rather than giving eBay a cut.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

Wasn't saying you were angry btw PP. Just have seen some people who kind of are. :)

Yeah I was feeling a little bitter earlier about this. Whatever. It's all stuff. I'll just hit play on my iPod to hear yield. It's all good. I also agree that trading isn't as bad as flipping. At least both parties are happy and it somehow feels more fair than selling something you bought for $60 for many times more when so many got shut out completely and will likely never afford to buy them. Back to point one. It's all just stuff
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    keithlaw1974keithlaw1974 Blacko, UK Posts: 137
    Has anyone outside of North America received their package yet?
    London, England 06-25-2010, Belfast, Northern Ireland 06-23-2010, Berlin, Germany 07-04-2012, Manchester, UK 06-20-2012, Seattle, WA 12-06-2013, Amsterdam, Holland 06-16-2014, Berlin, Germany 06-26-2014, Leeds, UK 07-08-2014, Milton Keynes, UK 07-11-2014, New York MSG 1 & 2
    Eddie Vedder Solo - London, England 07-30-1012
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 363
    LOTL and devil doll/ better things
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,804

I'll mention again that I will refund your full purchase price including shipping, plus your shipping cost to me, for a duplicate Riot Act, ITW, Avocado, or Sevens.

Same here. Unfortunately the few people I've reached out to regarding doubles would rather receive something of high value or make a couple hundred bucks off their 60 dollar purchase. I guess I can't blame them, just hoped there were more people on here willing to help each other out. I don't want to make more holes in my lp collection to fill a need. Frustrating for sure.
    No matter how nice someone is, no one can expect someone to sell something for $60 that is worth a few hundred or in the case of a Benny, a thousand. It doesn't matter how they got the record and it doesn't matter if they have 3 copies of the record. It's worth what it's worth. It would b generous yes, but can't b expected
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited May 2015

I'll mention again that I will refund your full purchase price including shipping, plus your shipping cost to me, for a duplicate Riot Act, ITW, Avocado, or Sevens.

Same here. Unfortunately the few people I've reached out to regarding doubles would rather receive something of high value or make a couple hundred bucks off their 60 dollar purchase. I guess I can't blame them, just hoped there were more people on here willing to help each other out. I don't want to make more holes in my lp collection to fill a need. Frustrating for sure.
    No matter how nice someone is, no one can expect someone to sell something for $60 that is worth a few hundred or in the case of a Benny, a thousand. It doesn't matter how they got the record and it doesn't matter if they have 3 copies of the record. It's worth what it's worth. It would b generous yes, but can't b expected
    That is true. I did have an arrangement on here with someone to sell them my mystery vinyl for 60 bucks to them if I got a duplicate, no matter what it was. A stranger to me no less. I ended up getting RNDM so it was moot. Of course I can't live my life expecting others to do the same. It's just sad to me that it has come to this. There are plenty of people who would love to spin this stuff without paying exorbitant prices. Shit, even if someone wanted to make a little money off me, fine. I just can't get down with someone wanting 200 dollars more for something they just paid 60 bucks for. I just don't think we should do that to each other. I'm not mad or bitter and it doesn't make me think less of people. I know how the market works. I see a lot of good stuff go on here all the time. Would like to see a little less greed, That's all.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    .... I think it actually does seem to make you think less of people, FWIW. If you think they are being greedy you necessarily think less of them. Feel.what you feel of course. I'm personally just not sure it's fair to call it greed to want what something they own is worth.
    There are so many good things being done on these boards. I'm sure there are many people who have done great things for a lot of members and will in the future, but they decided to do a big trade or sale in this case. Either way, I figure they should be able to do what they wish with their mystery vinyl without judgement.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

.... I think it actually does seem to make you think less of people, FWIW. If you think they are being greedy you necessarily think less of them. Feel.what you feel of course. I'm personally just not sure it's fair to call it greed to want what something they own is worth.
    There are so many good things being done on these boards. I'm sure there are many people who have done great things for a lot of members and will in the future, but they decided to do a big trade or sale in this case. Either way, I figure they should be able to do what they wish with their mystery vinyl without judgement.

I assure you there are many qualities in people I disagree with. It doesn't necessarily make me think less of them. I am sure there are many negative qualities in myself as well. Whether it seems I do or not, I'm telling you I don't. Whether you choose to believe me or not, that's up to you. I'm just conveying that it would be nice for things to be handled differently. Call it idealist or whatever, just putting it out there.
  • Options
    I bet there is a way an actual vinyl swap could be arranged.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

When I mentioned about the eBay sales I more meant that it would be nicer if people looked to swap and trade items. A PJ20 colour if I had one and someone wanted it and they had a LD for instance. I would prefer to swap outright than send my lucky mystery vinyl to eBay. Trading to the value seems fair but when people have taken part in this process in the hope of getting lucky with the intention of never saying what they got and are putting a PJ20 colour on eBay for $800 starting price seems greedy and not in the spirit of the sale. I saw a Sevens box on eBay and the picture was one that had been shown on here. (I note the picture was removed from here so I can not for sure say who that person was and would likely not anyway as ultimately is none of my business) Getting something for $60 knowing your sole intention is to sell it on eBay just seems a shame to me. I fully understand what you are all saying and in truth you are right, things are worth their market value and no one should expect to get it for less but still it would be nice to see you all getting to fill the gaps in your collections. Still a great sale and the kindness shown here is lovely.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think anyone willing to pay some of these eBay asking prices is nuts. Eventually all the studio LPs will be available. LO2L, RVM, LO10L, PJ20 and Sevens are a different story, cant see these being reissued any time soon if ever. As for Benny and Lost Dogs then they will probably give in and reissue them one day in some form, only for loads of copies to sit unsold in the store . A colored pj20 is a nice to have item in your collection but I've never felt there is a gap in my collection when I have it on black so why people are willing to pay close to $1000 is beyond me.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

I think anyone willing to pay some of these eBay asking prices is nuts. Eventually all the studio LPs will be available. LO2L, RVM, LO10L, PJ20 and Sevens are a different story, cant see these being reissued any time soon if ever. As for Benny and Lost Dogs then they will probably give in and reissue them one day in some form, only for loads of copies to sit unsold in the store . A colored pj20 is a nice to have item in your collection but I've never felt there is a gap in my collection when I have it on black so why people are willing to pay close to $1000 is beyond me.

Being a completest is a VERY expensive disease.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Just for the record if this is at all about my trade attempt for the pj20 color for Benny on lost dogs I have no intent on making money off anything or ever selling anything on eBay. I play the game in this forum to fill my needs in my collection and that's as far as it goes. I got lucky and am just trying to use it to fill a need. I buy stuff and hope to score when 10c has a sale in order to later trade it if I choose to, not to try to rip anyone off or to make a buck. It's all here on the forum and if someone likes a trade they take it and if they don't they don't. Never sold anything on eBay and never will, though I have bought a few things from there.
    I donate cash to causes on here when I can too, and have made many trades on this forum before with good people, and both parties always feel like they get a good deal. Definitely not trying to screw anyone here.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    PhilWalch said:

Saddens me all the vinyl suddenly appearing on eBay just as the mystery sale is reaching the US doors. $800 to $1200 for a minimum of 6 PJ20 colour, 7s boxes, Avacado. The list is endless.

I'm hoping the market gets a little flooded and NO ONE pays the stupid prices!!!

That being said I still want an ITW w/7"...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    "putting a PJ20 colour on eBay for $800 starting price seems greedy and not in the spirit of the sale"

Anyone who starts off with a high starting price simply wants money and are greedy. Past sales make there eyes as big as saucers though they tend to miss all the lower sales that happen too. Funny how that works out…
    Start a bid at .99$
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I've been offered some very nice trades for my PJ20 colored. One was a very tempting suggestion of a trade, and I just cannot pull the trigger. (I do own the black version too)

I completed my holiday single collection in less than a year, and everything was very reasonably priced...*very* reasonably priced. So it's in my head that the vinyl I want to complete my collection will come my way, and I won't have to pay stupid prices. Never intended on Collecting colored versions, but gosh it's so pretty!

On here I've seen some shitty trades go down in LD-which carries over to FB (and there are shitty things that happpen there too). I hate paying eBay prices, so what is someone supposed to do? Easiest answer is for PJ to re-issue the rest of the albums that haven't been...including Benny, it would give us poor folk the chance to complete our collection.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I've been offered some very nice trades for my PJ20 colored. One was a very tempting suggestion of a trade, and I just cannot pull the trigger. (I do own the black version too)

I completed my holiday single collection in less than a year, and everything was very reasonably priced...*very* reasonably priced. So it's in my head that the vinyl I want to complete my collection will come my way, and I won't have to pay stupid prices. Never intended on Collecting colored versions, but gosh it's so pretty!

On here I've seen some shitty trades go down in LD-which carries over to FB (and there are shitty things that happpen there too). I hate paying eBay prices, so what is someone supposed to do? Easiest answer is for PJ to re-issue the rest of the albums that haven't been...including Benny, it would give us poor folk the chance to complete our collection.

Well said!