Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    BMF2004BMF2004 Posts: 129
    I'd take a backspacer for my bud if anybody wants to get rid of an extra.
  • Options
    MS35398MS35398 Posts: 26
    b-sides said:

MS35398 said:

b-sides said:

MS35398 said:

b-sides said:

Got a white Backspacer and Not For You / Not For You 7 inch in Springfield, MO. Don't have either so I'm a pretty happy camper!

When I opened my mailer today, I saw I also had a Backspacer lp (but the 45 was LBC). Since I'm near Kansas City, MO, I thought maybe this was like the Mystery Poster sale where it looked like the same geographic areas got similar posters. So when I opened up my Backspacer, I fully expected it to be white vinyl. A little surprised to get black vinyl. Oh well.
    Bummer my friend. Hope LBC is new to your collection at least. Ironically, I fully expected mine to be the black version. I won't lie and say I didn't have an initial twinge of disappointment upon seeing the BS artwork but, I had a little luck on my side I guess. Just glad to have had a fair shot at the Avocado and Riot Act for a decent price. The hunt continues....
    Thanks, man. Appreciate it. I hope it's OK with people for me to say I was a bit disappointed with my Mystery Vinyl, but at the same time I'm not mad about it. Just like it is cool with me for people to be ecstatic when they score something they really wanted but probably couldn't have afforded any other way. I seriously am happy for those folks, and there seems to be a bunch of them.

The good news is, only recently have I gotten back into buying vinyl (it's a long story, but I have a decent amount of vinyl from the 1960s and 70s that I've had forever), so even though I could have bought my Backspacer from the shop for $15, at least I didn't have it yet.
    I think that's a completely fair stance, for what my opinions worth. It is genuinely cool to see people excited about landing this stuff. All I care is that it winds up in the hands of people who will enjoy it/spin it.

I'm fairly new to collecting (about a year into collecting for real) and I'm just glad to have a fair shake at some of the rare stuff. I got lucky early on and landed No Code and Yield but, everything else is a little rich for my blood currently. But someday....
    Nice scores on the No Code and Yield! I'm sure you will be able to add to your vinyl collection at some point in the future, and it's already got mine beat :>)

It's my own fault for waiting so late to get in on the PJ vinyl. I've been in the fan club since 1998, so I've had opportunities, but I didn't take advantage of them--just wasn't buying vinyl at the time. In fact, before I got my Mystery Vinyl I was thinking I'd feel a little bad getting something super-rare when I could have bought it originally, and other folks who never had a chance to buy it would lose out on at least that particular copy. Since I got a "Blackspacer" (props to Paige for creating this term!), though, I guess I didn't have to sweat that :>)

Believe it or not, not buying the vinyl originally isn't the worst PJ related mistake I've ever made. I've used music audio and video in my classes for years to connect to older literature, so my students knew I was into music. So one day this kid told me, "I have this new cd I think you'd like," and he loaned me Ten. This was before the band broke, before the Jeremy video, etc.--very early. I remember telling him later the lead singer kind of reminded me of Jim Morrison (and in a twist of fate, years later Eddie would sing Morrison's parts when The Doors were inducted into the RNRHOF, so I wasn't far off the mark!). I also remember reading about a fan club in the booklet, but that seemed so teeny-bopper to me. What would I get, a poster with facsimile signatures on it to hang in my bedroom? I wasn't some middle school girl with a crush on the band! Much later when PJ came to Kansas City in 1998, I was in a huge line waiting to buy tickets for a venue with seats and a lawn, and in just a few minutes the seats were completely sold out. What?!?! How was that possible?!?! Later when I bought some scalped tickets from a 10 Club member (used the second ticket to take the brother of the kid who introduced me to PJ), he explained why there were so few good tickets for sale, and shortly after I joined Ten Club. But I keep thinking I COULD have joined seven years earlier! I still get an ulcer thinking about it :>)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I hear ya. I guess I should be happy to say that one of my biggest regrets in life is abandoning vinyl in the 90s and leaving for a long time before coming back.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,988
    PJ_Soul said:

I hear ya. I guess I should be happy to say that one of my biggest regrets in life is abandoning vinyl in the 90s and leaving for a long time before coming back.

Same here.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
    mikesbri said:

Seems like the 1st rush of deliveries is slowing down. Can't wait to see what shows up in the next few weeks for us international folks.

Me too. Who else outside USA & Canada will score a Benny?
    Stay tuned! :bee:
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,931
    One in Germany right? I figured the Benny got sent super fast shipping so that's the lot?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Not one person has a guess as to if my 1.91 is a Zonk or a Gem?
    Not even a rip or a thought???
    Honolulu Dec 2, 2006
    Seattle Sept 21 & 22 2009
    Portland Sept 26, 2009
    Madison Square Garden May 20 & 21, 2010
    Bridge School Oct 23 & 24, 2010
    Alpine Valley - PJ20 Sept 3 & 4, 2011
    DeLuna Sept 21, 2012
    Atlanta Sept 22, 2012
    Missoula Sept 30, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    Portland Nov 29, 2013
    Spokane Nov 30, 2013
    Vancouver Dec 4, 2013
    Seattle Dec 6, 2013
    Tulsa Oct 8, 2014
    Lincoln Oct 9, 2014
    Telluride July 9, 2016
    Boston Aug 5 & 7, 2016
    Chicago 20 & 21, 2016
    New York Apr 7, 2017
    Seattle 8 & 10, 2018
    Missoula Aug 13, 2018
  • Options
    epieepie Posts: 290

Not one person has a guess as to if my 1.91 is a Zonk or a Gem?
    Not even a rip or a thought???

1.92 lbs. landed me Tres Mts. and Orange Fixer
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
    2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
    2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 367
    My local post office has my box!!! :open_mouth: this might be the day!
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 312
    Hub. said:

PJ_Soul said:

Same here.
    If your biggest regret from the 90s is taking a break from vinyl you're better off than most of us :lol:
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    Amantria said:

Good luck Amantria! I know it's been a long process for you. Here's hoping you get that delivery today and it's something on your wishlist!
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    hadfiiw said:

RED Lightning Bolt and Not For You/Out Of My Mind 45. I actually got a rare for the first time!

I'm hoping for this combo if I don't get a benny or pj's colour
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 367
    Croos1226 said:

Amantria said:

Good luck Amantria! I know it's been a long process for you. Here's hoping you get that delivery today and it's something on your wishlist!
    Thanks Croos! Unfortunately I'm working today so ill have to wait until this evening but still...it's here!! I'll Deffo post what I get!
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Morning coffee + mystery vinyl spins
    Post edited by ekwipt on
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    ekwipt said:

Now thats what I'm talking about!!!
    Badass record on a badaas turntable!
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,988
    ekwipt said:

Hub. said:

PJ_Soul said:

Same here.
    If your biggest regret from the 90s is taking a break from vinyl you're better off than most of us :lol:
    Language elements: of course, they aren't the biggest. Notheless, I regret it. :wink:
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    Mine is "Out for Delivery" near Daytona Beach, FL.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Hub. said:

ekwipt said:

Hub. said:

PJ_Soul said:

Same here.
    Language elements: of course, they aren't the biggest. Notheless, I regret it. :wink:
    Oh, I actually meant it 100%. That really is probably my #1 regret. :lol: Yes, my life has been pretty low on regret overall. :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

ekwipt said:

That turntable is something I have never once regretted dropping $ on. 15 years old now and still as good as new. I highly recommend taking the plunge for anyone who has been on the fence. They're built like tanks.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    dudeman said:

Mine is "Out for Delivery" near Daytona Beach, FL.

Today is the day!
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    ekwipt said:

TJ25487 said:

ekwipt said:

That turntable is something I have never once regretted dropping $ on. 15 years old now and still as good as new. I highly recommend taking the plunge for anyone who has been on the fence. They're built like tanks.
    Ok so indulge those less enlightened amongst us (me) and share the details of your set up. :smile:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PhilWalchPhilWalch Posts: 11
    Saddens me all the vinyl suddenly appearing on eBay just as the mystery sale is reaching the US doors. $800 to $1200 for a minimum of 6 PJ20 colour, 7s boxes, Avacado. The list is endless.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    PhilWalch said:

Saddens me all the vinyl suddenly appearing on eBay just as the mystery sale is reaching the US doors. $800 to $1200 for a minimum of 6 PJ20 colour, 7s boxes, Avacado. The list is endless.

Yes this stinks considering the number of people who got shut out who just wanted to enjoy the music and not make a buck and who will never spin the "high value" albums bc it makes no logical sense to spend that much money on them. Disgusting actually
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

ekwipt said:

TJ25487 said:

ekwipt said:

Ok so indulge those less enlightened amongst us (me) and share the details of your set up. :smile:
    I have a really bare bones basic setup. Real enthusiasts add a ton of modifications. Turntable is a Technics SL-1200MK2. Not currently being produced I believe but always used ones around and worth the investment.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'll mention again that I will refund your full purchase price including shipping, plus your shipping cost to me, for a duplicate Riot Act, ITW, Avocado, or Sevens.
  • Options
    PhilWalchPhilWalch Posts: 11

PhilWalch said:

Yes this stinks considering the number of people who got shut out who just wanted to enjoy the music and not make a buck and who will never spin the "high value" albums bc it makes no logical sense to spend that much money on them. Disgusting actually
    Yeah it is pretty poor of some to flip these at such high values. Only ever intending to make money from other PJ fans, been away for quite a while from here but have to say the kindness of most still shines through.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I'll mention again that I will refund your full purchase price including shipping, plus your shipping cost to me, for a duplicate Riot Act, ITW, Avocado, or Sevens.

Same here. Unfortunately the few people I've reached out to regarding doubles would rather receive something of high value or make a couple hundred bucks off their 60 dollar purchase. I guess I can't blame them, just hoped there were more people on here willing to help each other out. I don't want to make more holes in my lp collection to fill a need. Frustrating for sure.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Same here. Unfortunately the few people I've reached out to regarding doubles would rather receive something of high value or make a couple hundred bucks off their 60 dollar purchase. I guess I can't blame them, just hoped there were more people on here willing to help each other out. I don't want to make more holes in my lp collection to fill a need. Frustrating for sure.
    I understand both sides, but like you it would be very cool for people to offer up dupes for great prices. However, very few will not be looking for current market value, and its hard not to blame them.. #Capitalism
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Yeah, it's just funny how people complain about flipping.. then want to immediately turn a $60 purchase into a $300-600 trade.
    Help those out who didn't score, or scored a less-than-desirable mystery box!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Yeah, it's just funny how people complain about flipping.. then want to immediately turn a $60 purchase into a $300-600 trade.
    Help those out who didn't score, or scored a less-than-desirable mystery box!