Iran Deal, the reset.....

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
edited December 2020 in A Moving Train
Basis of framework agreed to. Finalized in June?
Palestine is admitted as a member for the world court.
Interesting times we live in.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    mickeyrat said:

Basis of framework agreed to. Finalized in June?
    Palestine is admitted as a member for the world court.
    Interesting times we live in.

It is strange indeed. Ask me 10 years ago and I'd laugh right in your face. Let's see what happens next.
  • I'm honestly curious what you guys think about this Iran deal. I'm openly pro-Israel, so you know where I stand. Doesn't it make you guys nervous that Iran is the leading sponsor of terrorism worldwide and we are just going to make it easy for them to get the bomb?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    how are we making it easy to get a bomb? seriously. tell me. Based off whats been reported about this framework.

Note THEY are also signatories to the nuclear nonproliferation agreement, but another significant country is not.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited April 2015
    from the washington post..
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/04/02/a-step-by-step-guide-to-what-the-iran-agreement-actually-means/?tid=sm_fb

WorldViews
    A step-by-step guide to what the Iran agreement actually means
    By Ishaan Tharoor April 2 at 4:56 PM

At last, it's happened in Lausanne. Iranian diplomats and their counterparts from six world powers, including the U.S., have emerged with a "Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action" regarding Iran's nuclear program. This framework of an agreement -- the final deal is supposed to be reached by June 30 -- has been the product of days of intense, closed-door negotiations.

WorldViews explained earlier this week the main sticking points to a deal, which needs to satisfy Western fears over Iran's ability to build a nuclear weapon, while providing Iran sanctions relief and allowing it to maintain a peaceable nuclear program. There's still plenty of work to be done, but the diplomatic efforts of the U.S. and its interlocutors could now lead to a historic opening with the Islamic Republic, whose leadership -- at least some figures within it -- are desperate for closer ties with the West.

Analysts appear surprised by the thoroughness of this framework agreement, which gives proponents of a deal hope that a real pact may be sealed this summer. Here's what you need to know about what this current round of talks has set in place.

1. The main metric bandied about when calculating how to prevent an Iranian atomic bomb is "breakout time" -- that is, the time it would take for Iran to produce enough fissile material (highly enriched uranium) that could make one nuclear weapon. The importance of breakout time as the main criteria to understanding Iran's nuclear ambitions is a matter of debate, and some experts say it's a bit pointless to obsess over it.

But one of the chief goals of any U.S.-backed agreement has been to extend Iran's supposed breakout time from an estimated two to three months right now to at least a year. A larger window gives the international community more time to respond and take tougher action on Iran. And the assumption is that the harder it is for Iran to produce a weapon, the less likely the chance that it will.

2. As far as the U.S. and its partners are concerned, the measures announced Thursday are centered on making it difficult for Iran to both produce and maintain stocks of highly enriched uranium. Iran has already diluted its stockpile of uranium enriched at 20 percent and agreed to dramatically reduce other stockpiles of low-enriched uranium. But stricter measures are necessary to prevent against a move toward a weapon. (You can see a diagram that shows how uranium gets enriched here.)

3. One way of controlling this is capping Iran's number of centrifuges -- the whirling devices that enrich uranium gas. Under terms outlined Thursday, Iran will reduce its centrifuges from some 19,000 to 6,104. According to a memorandum circulated by American officials, Iran has agreed that, for the next 10 years, it will only enrich uranium at one facility, in Natanz, which has 5,000 first-generation centrifuges. It will not enrich uranium at levels beyond 3.67 percent -- insufficient for a bomb, but useful for nuclear energy purposes -- for 15 years.

4. Iran appears willing also to suspend activity at the controversial Fordow nuclear facility for 15 years, and will apparently convert the site into a nuclear physics research center. Fordow, situated inside a mountain outside the holy city of Qom, has particularly worried American and Israeli officials. Iranian authorities will guarantee that the heavy water reactor in Arak, a site where it's feared Iran intends to produce weapons-grade plutonium, will not do so.

5. A very tight regime of international inspections will be imposed. Inspectors from the IAEA, the U.N.'s atomic agency, will continuously monitor Iran's centrifuges and nuclear storage facilities for two decades, will have regular access to uranium mines and mills for the next 25 years, as well as be able to conduct regular checks on Iran's nuclear sites. "If Iran cheats, the world will know it," said President Obama on Thursday.

6. In return, Iran wins sanctions relief, depending on its ability to follow through with the commitments agreed upon in a final deal. This will likely not happen as swiftly as the Iranians would like, and there seems to be a mechanism by which the sanctions would automatically "snap back" in place should Iran violate the terms of an agreement.

But the promise of the U.S. and E.U. eventually lifting oil and banking sanctions on Iran led to celebrations in Tehran and a dip in the global price of oil on Thursday.

7. Other issues -- including to what extent Iran can use and upgrade more advanced centrifuges, as well as what happens to other military dimensions of its nuclear program -- still need ironing out in the months ahead.

8. The optimism generated by this framework agreement will not be shared by hawks in the U.S. and Israel, as well as in the Arab states, who still consider Iran a dangerous regional threat. Opponents of a deal in the U.S. may step up efforts to derail the talks in the coming weeks in Congress. But the Obama administration can point to a pretty solid agreement that keeps Iran's nuclear ambition "in an iron box," and establishes the means by which the international community may be able to ensure it stays there.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

I'm honestly curious what you guys think about this Iran deal. I'm openly pro-Israel, so you know where I stand. Doesn't it make you guys nervous that Iran is the leading sponsor of terrorism worldwide and we are just going to make it easy for them to get the bomb?

Well one like myself can also look at it like you stand behind a terrorist state your self that being Israel , in more afraid of the war mongers that currently hold th majority in the house ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I'm honestly curious what you guys think about this Iran deal. I'm openly pro-Israel, so you know where I stand. Doesn't it make you guys nervous that Iran is the leading sponsor of terrorism worldwide and we are just going to make it easy for them to get the bomb?

Many would counter that the US is a bigger sponsor of terrorism than Iran. We fund groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS until we can't get away with it any longer, then we find new ones to fund, all the while funneling weapons into the regions where we know they will land in extremist's hands.
    Regarding the talks, and the bomb... They have been developing a nuclear program anyways, under sanctions, without supervision. How is gaining inspection access going to make it easy for them to get the bomb? What is the alternative? We can continue with the sanctions that aren't working or we can start a very costly war. We all know the war-hawk conservatives would love to kick some money over to their defense industry buddies, but the American people clearly don't want that.
    The talking heads on the right make outlandish claims such as "Obama wants Iran to have nukes" and "he is giving Iran nukes" while they complain that Iran fights proxy wars against Israel... What is their solution? That we fight a proxy war for Israel against Iran. It's ridiculous.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

What about this process makes anyone thin we are making it easier for Iran to make nuclear weapons? We are getting them to allow inspection and reduce centrifuges... How is that an advancement for their nuclear ambitions?
    Is it just because Rush and Sean say so or is there something I am missing entirely?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

What about this process makes anyone thin we are making it easier for Iran to make nuclear weapons? We are getting them to allow inspection and reduce centrifuges... How is that an advancement for their nuclear ambitions?
    Is it just because Rush and Sean say so or is there something I am missing entirely?
    1st gen centrifuges and enrichment limited to 3.67% . You need 20% or greater for a bomb yes?

mickeyrat said:

how are we making it easy to get a bomb? seriously. tell me. Based off whats been reported about this framework.

Note THEY are also signatories to the nuclear nonproliferation agreement, but another significant country is not.

And what country is that Mickey? What country keeps saber rattling and threatening Iran with war? Is that the same country who refuses to sign said treaty and actually has nuclear weapons pointed at it's #1 ally? And keeps on meddling in Mid East affairs. Keeps destabilizing the region? I wonder who you're talking about Mickey?

And let's be real here, if Iran or any other fucken Mid East country drops a fucken nuclear bomb on Israel, the ENTIRE Mid East will be destroyed. And for the past 20+ fucken years all we've been hearing is Iran this Iran that. Iran has weapons, developing weapons blah blah blah. What about Israel?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

And what country is that Mickey? What country keeps saber rattling and threatening Iran with war? Is that the same country who refuses to sign said treaty and actually has nuclear weapons pointed at it's #1 ally? And keeps on meddling in Mid East affairs. Keeps destabilizing the region? I wonder who you're talking about Mickey?

And let's be real here, if Iran or any other fucken Mid East country drops a fucken nuclear bomb on Israel, the ENTIRE Mid East will be destroyed. And for the past 20+ fucken years all we've been hearing is Iran this Iran that. Iran has weapons, developing weapons blah blah blah. What about Israel?
    Cmon BB they are the chosen ones they can& do what ever they want always have always will ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Cmon BB they are the chosen ones they can& do what ever they want always have always will ....
    They def do whatever they want thats for sure. Ask Poland when they denied Israel permission a few years ago to do a fly over in their country in remembrance of the holocaust. They didn't respect polands wishes and flew over anyways. Ask Assad how many times they've gone across the border and dropped bombs or missiles in syria without permission. Now imagine if any country does that to them. What would the consequence be? I better stop before someone calls me anti-Semitic again.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Since the latest election and ole what's his name left office it seems there has been at least a little willingness from some moderates to become more mainstream in Iran.Such a young population,hungry for western pleasantries, music,culture,etc
    They seem genuine in hospitality and the want to be better(most the population and some of the new govt)not the Religious leaders
    It's a shame some hate filled religious bigots and terrorists(Clerics-Ayatollah) continue to pontificate ass backwards religious nonsense,basically holding back progress.I think this is going to be an interesting experiment in watching a country try to morph into something better while being torn apart from withinn by years of religious hate.
    edited April 2015
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

They def do whatever they want thats for sure. Ask Poland when they denied Israel permission a few years ago to do a fly over in their country in remembrance of the holocaust. They didn't respect polands wishes and flew over anyways. Ask Assad how many times they've gone across the border and dropped bombs or missiles in syria without permission. Now imagine if any country does that to them. What would the consequence be? I better stop before someone calls me anti-Semitic again.
    I know you better than that BB,but Jose's last statement walks the line.Not intentionally(I think)butLumping Jews and Israelis in the same statement isn't accurate.I know a lot of us go out of our way to make sure we don't do the same with lumping everyday Muslims and Islamic terrorists.
    I think we must always keep these lines of govt and ethnicity clear.So there can be no misunderstanding.It is well known many on here have a hatered for Israel and its govt.I think they deserve a lot of critique for their actions,but it must stop at the govt and not spill to the people.dont you agree?Same can be said for Iran no?
    Post edited by rr165892 on
    rr165892 said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

I know you better than that BB,but Jose's last statement walks the line.Not intentionally(I think)butLumping Jews and Israelis in the same statement isn't accurate.I know a lot of us go out of our way to make sure we don't do the same with lumping everyday Muslims and Islamic terrorists.
    I think we must always keep these lines of govt and ethnicity clear.So there can be no misunderstanding.It is well known many on here have a hatered for Israel and its govt.I think they deserve a lot of critique for their actions,but it must stop at the govt and not spill to the people.dont you agree?Same can be said for Iran no?
    Look, when I or others critisize Israel, were critisizing THEIR government. I can tell the diff between Zionism and being Jewish. I have no problem whatsoever with the Jewish faith, but I do have a problem with the Zionist government of Israel. And i know Jose personally, he's NO ANTI-Semite just like im not.

And Ryan, any criticism leveled at any country can be leveled right back at America or Israel or Canada or whatever country you want. To point the finger and blame at Iran as the only problem in the world is comical. Who's the country spreading imperialism everywhere? Simple question
    Nobody is singling Iran out.But this is a Iran thread.lol
    Still waiting as to why this is a bad deal.

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mickeyrat said:

Still waiting as to why this is a bad deal.

For the same reason the North Korean nuclear deal in 1994 was bad
    Drunken crack head then. Enlighten me.

rr165892 said:

Nobody is singling Iran out.But this is a Iran thread.lol

And Israel has a lot to say about said deal. Don't forget them
    mickeyrat said:

North Korea has nuclear weapons. You are now enlightened.
    BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

North Korea has nuclear weapons. You are now enlightened.
    So does Israel, and know the world is starting to be enlightened.
    Do have you even read what the actual framework has been reported as being?

I dont recall NK having EVER been a signatory to the non proliferation treaty.

So really what is the point?

THIS deal, why is THIS deal a bad one. Which the entire security council is on board with? Not to mention Germany?

mickeyrat said:

THIS deal, why is THIS deal a bad one. Which the entire security council is on board with? Not to mention Germany?

Because BS is a fucken war hawk and wants all Muslims dead. The guy wants nothing more then for the us to do Israel's dirty work. Just like with resolution 242, the whole world agrees with it except Israel and America. Now America is starting to want to make some peace with Muslims in the Arab world and BS can't have that. He wants war and death to all Muslims.
    mickeyrat said:

Iran will have a bomb. Some on here think that matters and some on here don't. But make no mistake they will have a bomb.
    edited April 2015
    BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

Iran will have a bomb. Some on here think that matters and some on here don't. But make no mistake they will have a bomb.
    You fucken lame ass war mongers have been saying that for the past 30 fucken years. Let me ask you a question BS, does Israel have nuclear weapons?
    BS44325 said:

Non answer.

badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

You fucken lame ass war mongers have been saying that for the past 30 fucken years. Let me ask you a question BS, does Israel have nuclear weapons?
    Yes
    BS44325 said:

badbrains said:

BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

Yes
    OMG, you answered a question. So let me ask u a follow up. Why is it ok for Israel to have over 200, some of which are pointed directly at the us, but no one else is allowed to?
    mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

Non answer.

That isn't a non answer. Without arguing for the time being whether they should have a bomb, under this agreement they will certainly get one. They want one and they will get one. The agreement will prevent nothing. It will just be a paper to wave around to make us feel better.
    BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

Non answer.
    That isn't a non answer. Without arguing for the time being whether they should have a bomb, under this agreement they will certainly get one. They want one and they will get one. The agreement will prevent nothing. It will just be a paper to wave around to make us feel better.

Again, people like you have been saying this for the past 30 fucken years. And guess what, the only country to get nuclear weapons in that time, your favorite human rights abusers Israel. Funny and sad at the same time.