Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

I've met BC twice - once in 96' in St.Louis before the MCIS tour show and again in 2003 before a Zwan show in the Central West End (STL). Nicest fucking dude/rock star I've met. Gracious and thankful for the support and very revealing about his love of music. Also met Jimmy Chamberlain and talked with him for quite awhile outside of Vintage Vinyl. So appears he only acts like this with media pundits.

I've actually heard the same thing from a few people who have met them. Very gracious. My buddy offered to buy him a drink and he refused, had him sit down and bought him a few drinks while shooting the shit with him for an hour. Pretty cool guy to do that
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272

Are you Billy Corgans uncle? Because you're defending him very hard. The only positive thing corgan said was "I have to bow to them for that" when talking about how they still sell out arenas. But then he followed that up with "I'm confused as to why they're still successful."

he is my nephew.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How long is Billy's promotional junket? Who's NOT on his schedule?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

How long is Billy's promotional junket? Who's NOT on his schedule?

I think the album only sold like 18k copies.....haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Are you Billy Corgans uncle? Because you're defending him very hard. The only positive thing corgan said was "I have to bow to them for that" when talking about how they still sell out arenas. But then he followed that up with "I'm confused as to why they're still successful."

he is my nephew.
    That is funny.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Zod said:

Do I agree with Billy's comments. No. Is he allowed to have an opinion? Yes.

Do I listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. I do. I love Gish, Siamase Dream, Picses Iscariot, Mellon Collie, the Aeroplan Flies high boxset, and a few songs from Adore. I'm not going to crap on the music because Billy said something about my favourite band that I didn't like.

I'm not sure why he doesn't get Pearl Jam but it doesn't really matter. I know a number of people that don't get Pearl Jam either, but no one gives a shit about their opinion's :)

great post Zod.... and for the record,... I fell off the train during Mellon Collie... Siamese Dream is a masterpiece....still has that magical spark everytime I put it in...Hummer is hands down one of the all time great Alt. tunes ever written...Rocket might have the best lyrics, per my lifestyle at the time i've ever experienced... Picses Iscariot really had me in their world also... Lollapalloza 94' with the beastie boys and Pumpkins headlining was the last great tour they did...IMO... crowd/scene/etc etc was one of the best of my 250+ shows/fests I've been to from roughly 1982-2014 spanning my live music i've attended... that night/show was top 10 for sure and to me,... that's saying a lot... then a year or 2 later,...seen them on Mellon Collie tour and it was over... 50% of the sold out crowd was literally jr high kids there with their parents... their 1994 show had less than 10% under the age of 18 to this... I felt so bad for the band... didn't know what I would have done if I was in their shoes... all I knew is that was it for me... sorry for getting of topic here...just wanted to share my SmashPunkins story...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    curly said:

Zod said:

Do I agree with Billy's comments. No. Is he allowed to have an opinion? Yes.

Do I listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. I do. I love Gish, Siamase Dream, Picses Iscariot, Mellon Collie, the Aeroplan Flies high boxset, and a few songs from Adore. I'm not going to crap on the music because Billy said something about my favourite band that I didn't like.

I'm not sure why he doesn't get Pearl Jam but it doesn't really matter. I know a number of people that don't get Pearl Jam either, but no one gives a shit about their opinion's :)

great post Zod.... and for the record,... I fell off the train during Mellon Collie... Siamese Dream is a masterpiece....still has that magical spark everytime I put it in...Hummer is hands down one of the all time great Alt. tunes ever written...Rocket might have the best lyrics, per my lifestyle at the time i've ever experienced... Picses Iscariot really had me in their world also... Lollapalloza 94' with the beastie boys and Pumpkins headlining was the last great tour they did...IMO... crowd/scene/etc etc was one of the best of my 250+ shows/fests I've been to from roughly 1982-2014 spanning my live music i've attended... that night/show was top 10 for sure and to me,... that's saying a lot... then a year or 2 later,...seen them on Mellon Collie tour and it was over... 50% of the sold out crowd was literally jr high kids there with their parents... their 1994 show had less than 10% under the age of 18 to this... I felt so bad for the band... didn't know what I would have done if I was in their shoes... all I knew is that was it for me... sorry for getting of topic here...just wanted to share my SmashPunkins story...
    Is that a death wish for a rock band? Having a shit ton at teens at your shows? Not just SP, but any band.

To me it's just a sign that they are reaching a bigger audience. Not just the kids, but the parents as well. Would you take your kid to show if you hated the music? I don't care what any musician says, the ultimate goal is to sell cds. Especially early in their career. ANY person that says other wise is full of shit.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    ^^^ dude your way off... The ultimate goal is to bang groupies..especially early in career.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 wrote: »
    ^^^ dude your way off... The ultimate goal is to bang groupies..especially early in career.

True.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    Do I agree with Billy's comments. No. Is he allowed to have an opinion? Yes.<br />
    <br />
    Do I listen to the Smashing Pumpkins. I do. I love Gish, Siamase Dream, Picses Iscariot, Mellon Collie, the Aeroplan Flies high boxset, and a few songs from Adore. I'm not going to crap on the music because Billy said something about my favourite band that I didn't like. <br />
    <br />
    I'm not sure why he doesn't get Pearl Jam but it doesn't really matter. I know a number of people that don't get Pearl Jam either, but no one gives a shit about their opinion's :)<br />
    <br />
    great post Zod.... and for the record,... I fell off the train during Mellon Collie... Siamese Dream is a masterpiece....still has that magical spark everytime I put it in...Hummer is hands down one of the all time great Alt. tunes ever written...Rocket might have the best lyrics, per my lifestyle at the time i've ever experienced... Picses Iscariot really had me in their world also... Lollapalloza 94' with the beastie boys and Pumpkins headlining was the last great tour they did...IMO... crowd/scene/etc etc was one of the best of my 250+ shows/fests I've been to from roughly 1982-2014 spanning my live music i've attended... that night/show was top 10 for sure and to me,... that's saying a lot... then a year or 2 later,...seen them on Mellon Collie tour and it was over... 50% of the sold out crowd was literally jr high kids there with their parents... their 1994 show had less than 10% under the age of 18 to this... I felt so bad for the band... didn't know what I would have done if I was in their shoes... all I knew is that was it for me... sorry for getting of topic here...just wanted to share my SmashPunkins story... <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Is that a death wish for a rock band? Having a shit ton at teens at your shows? Not just SP, but any band.<br />
    <br />
    To me it's just a sign that they are reaching a bigger audience. Not just the kids, but the parents as well. Would you take your kid to show if you hated the music? I don't care what any musician says, the ultimate goal is to sell cds. Especially early in their career. ANY person that says other wise is full of shit.

the parents? they're just being good(?) parents. Id take my girls to a one directoin concert but guarantee i dont like the music

....well, that story of my life song is pretty good
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703

Is that a death wish for a rock band? Having a shit ton at teens at your shows? Not just SP, but any band.

the parents? they're just being good(?) parents. Id take my girls to a one directoin concert but guarantee i dont like the music

these are both fair points.... not to mention I did take my jr high school daughter to One Direction a few months back,... just like Ed vedder took his,...
    and ya,.. no band is going to want to turn down good paying fans... whom buy the cd as well...

my point or situation I had with them was a lil different though..... when the croud goes from a bunch of long haired, tye dyed, wasted 20 somethings...mixed with every alcohol, drug and X there was...to a lil over a year later the crowd is clean cut suburbs soccor moms with their jr high kids... it just kinda caught me off guard... and maybe I'm exaggerating a lil... But it was still pretty damn close assessment ...

kinda more like if all One directions fans filled up 75% of a Beastie boys concert... you can't tel me they wouldn't be a lil "throw off"... so to speak.... lol
    I even remember reading comments from the Smashing Pumkins back then noting the same thing I'm saying about the crowd.... sadly,... it embarrassed them.... MTV swallowed them whole...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I remember seeing Incubus in a ball room with no seats in the fall of 2000 or spring of 2001. I was dead center between 2-5 rows of people the whole night and was thrashed around and carried with the crowd 80% of the show. It was nuts how rough the pit area was.

Flash forward to summer of 2002 I saw them in an arena and was in the same spot pretty much, but when the band came on and everyone stood up I found myself in a sea of teenagers who wanted to hear the band play "Drive". I think they opened up with a Certain Shade of Green (a real headbanger) and I don't think I even saw a fist go in the air. It definitely was not as enjoyable of a show for me (still fun though).

I have to imagine the band enjoys playing to a crowd that is into it versus playing to a crowd that is basically like playing to a high school prom. Granted, the money at the arena show would be better so no trade backs I don't think.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    Baba Booey, Baba Booey, Howard Stern's penis, J.D.'s girlfriend.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited December 2014
    Billy Corgan = Axl Rose
    Guys that had great bands, made a few great records, and then became totally irrelevant when their egos took over.

Baba Booey, Baba Booey

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Get_Right wrote: »
    Billy Corgan = Axl Rose

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Fla Fla floley
    Ha ha hooey
  • Options
    Fa fa flunkie
  • Options
    Ma ma monkey
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Mac-HINE!!!!!!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote: »
    Mac-HINE!!!!!!

Lol. I forgot about that. Freaking hilarious! Where's the laughing smileys?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    I saw Pearl Jam at the ACC (Toronto) in 2011 and SP at the same venue in 2012.

Pearl Jam packed the place two nights for in a row while SP played one night only to just the "lower bowl" - they did't even sell tickets for the upper bowl as it was blacked out!

• Options
    Speaking of the Foo Fighters and Howard Stern...this is such a better listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjwa_QspPiE
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan discussed his recent criticism of Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam in an interview with ESPN Radio‘s Dan Le Batard & Stugotz.

“I wouldn’t call it a beef, Howard [Stern] asked me an honest question, to rate my generation’s greats, and I gave an honest answer, and suddenly I’m a bad guy. I’ve held that opinion for over 20 years, so nothing new. I wouldn’t discourage anybody from listening to a band like Pearl Jam, it’s not that. Look, they once asked Charles Barkley if he thought Michael Jordan was better than him, and he said, ‘Hell no. I wouldn’t play if I thought Michael Jordan was better than me.’ So in the gist of competition, I view as an equal or lesser than, and in that case, I gave an honest answer.”

The host asked if BillCo felt Pearl Jam went too commercial. Corgan responded, “I would say it’s kind of the opposite, I would say they never completely fulfilled their commercial promise. I think they were a great band who kind of got wrapped up in a trip, like we all get wrapped up in trips, and never completely fulfilled their promise. It’s weird because I know people who are fans don’t feel that way, but a lot of people that I know feel the opposite, so there’s that weird divide. But again, it’s not a diss to say that you don’t rate somebody as high as you rate somebody else, I don’t get that. I listen to your program all of the time, you guys sit there and rate football teams, players. Is that a personal attack? No. It’s just the way you see it.”

again, he sees music/art as competition. I just find that mindset completely odd unless you work for a record company/label.

and Charles Barkley is an idiot.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    paulonious wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan discussed his recent criticism of Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam in an interview with ESPN Radio‘s Dan Le Batard & Stugotz.

“I wouldn’t call it a beef, Howard [Stern] asked me an honest question, to rate my generation’s greats, and I gave an honest answer, and suddenly I’m a bad guy. I’ve held that opinion for over 20 years, so nothing new. I wouldn’t discourage anybody from listening to a band like Pearl Jam, it’s not that. Look, they once asked Charles Barkley if he thought Michael Jordan was better than him, and he said, ‘Hell no. I wouldn’t play if I thought Michael Jordan was better than me.’ So in the gist of competition, I view as an equal or lesser than, and in that case, I gave an honest answer.”

The host asked if BillCo felt Pearl Jam went too commercial. Corgan responded, “I would say it’s kind of the opposite, I would say they never completely fulfilled their commercial promise. I think they were a great band who kind of got wrapped up in a trip, like we all get wrapped up in trips, and never completely fulfilled their promise. It’s weird because I know people who are fans don’t feel that way, but a lot of people that I know feel the opposite, so there’s that weird divide. But again, it’s not a diss to say that you don’t rate somebody as high as you rate somebody else, I don’t get that. I listen to your program all of the time, you guys sit there and rate football teams, players. Is that a personal attack? No. It’s just the way you see it.”

again, he sees music/art as competition. I just find that mindset completely odd unless you work for a record company/label.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487969/Mick-Jagger-admitted-Rolling-Stones-outshone-Beatles.html
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487969/Mick-Jagger-admitted-Rolling-Stones-outshone-Beatles.html

that rivalry/competition was conceived and bred by the media. No one is saying they are in competition with BC except BC himself.

the difference between Billy trashing artists and, say, Ed openly mocking Marky Mark, is that Billy is shouting from the rooftops that he's the best ever. No one else from that era does that. Only assholes do that. I don't care if he sees himself as just "being honest". He's being a dick. If he wants to say "I didn't much like the last PJ record", fine, but he keeps putting himself above others, and if you can tell me you enjoy listening to people in daily life praise themselves by putting others down at the same time putting their own work at a level that it is a reach at best, then I tip my hat to you, sir.

I walk away from douchebags like that in mid-sentence.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

that rivalry/competition was conceived and bred by the media.

ha. that article was about a book detailing the rivalry between the two bands. this particular excerpt was about mick's jealousy towards the beatles' popularity.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

that rivalry/competition was conceived and bred by the media.

ha. that article was about a book detailing the rivalry between the two bands. this particular excerpt was about mick's jealousy towards the beatles' popularity.

So?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com