Obama just made the gop's heads explode...

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
edited November 2014 in A Moving Train
executive action on immigration.

obama threw down the gauntlet.

i thought it was a good speech. too bad the networks snubbed it in favor of things like big bang theory...

i would love to see the gop justify their opposition to this. what are they going to say? "we are on the side of splitting up families by deporting mom and dad and keeping the child/citizen here!!" i just don't see it happening.

at any rate, shit is about to get real.

thoughts?
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

Comments

• RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    boehner said verbatim, if we cant get it done, its up to you mr president. well, he just did it.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I didn't see it as gauntlet-throwing (everything isn't a "battle", doesn't need to be perpetuated as party shit).

Overall, it seemed reasonable to me.

And out here, it was on every major station, so maybe it was a time (or tv revenue) thing?

Shit's always real. Hopefully this won't be yet another division but I suppose I've spoken too late.
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Oh Boy…I smell IMPEACHMENT.. Now that would be the cherry on top for the biggest fraud ever in politics. Of course he was brought to you by the community activist capital of the world…Shitcago
  • executive action on immigration.

obama threw down the gauntlet.

i thought it was a good speech. too bad the networks snubbed it in favor of things like big bang theory...

i would love to see the gop justify their opposition to this. what are they going to say? "we are on the side of splitting up families by deporting mom and dad and keeping the child/citizen here!!" i just don't see it happening.

at any rate, shit is about to get real.

thoughts?

GOP?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    They just bought an election in 2016. The Republicans just cleaned up in the elections in November so it seems like if the public really wanted Obama's legislation to go through Congress they would have voted that way.

Believe it is about kids and families but this is nothing more than securing votes. This board generally hates Republicans but they don't sell their souls for votes like Democrats have done. Just look at Obama and Hilary. 8 years ago they were against gay marriage, but now that public opinion is on the side of gay marriage they are for it.

• Guitar92playerGuitar92player Posts: 664
    edited November 2014
    It seemed very reasonable to me.

"The changes will offer those who qualify the chance to stay temporarily in the country for three years, as long as they pass background checks and pay back taxes. But they will not be offered a path to eventual citizenship or be eligible for federal benefits or health care programs. And, in theory, the measures could be reversed by a future president.

"If you meet the criteria, you can come out of the shadows and get right with the law. If you're a criminal, you'll be deported. If you plan to enter the U.S. illegally, your chances of getting caught and sent back just went up," Obama said."

I think this is a good start. Border control is an obvious weak spot still, but these measures seem reasonable.

Best part:
    "To those members of Congress who question my authority to make our immigration system work better, or question the wisdom of me acting where Congress has failed, I have one answer: Pass a bill."
    Post edited by Guitar92player on
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    The GOP would of sat on their hands for the next two yrs without passing one bill let alone IR , they just want him out of office I'm glad he acted on his own ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    muskydan said:

Oh Boy…I smell IMPEACHMENT.. Now that would be the cherry on top for the biggest fraud ever in politics. Of course he was brought to you by the community activist capital of the world…Shitcago

Yeah ok ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PhoolPhool Milwaukee, WI Posts: 74
    edited November 2014
    It will be interesting what happens since the President used executive order on such a large issue. How would people feel when a member of the GOP takes office and throws executive order on banning abortions or mandatory drug screens for all government handouts?
    This has opened up the door in so many ways.
    Post edited by Phool on
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    muskydan said:

IBTL =))
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,846

Just look at Obama and Hilary. 8 years ago they were against gay marriage, but now that public opinion is on the side of gay marriage they are for it.

Pretty sure that I've never seen Obama being against gay marriage...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    muskydan said:

Yeah that's going to happen. Although I'm fine with President Biden if it does.

I bet half the tea baggers think if Obama is impeached then Ted Cruz becomes President
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    muskydan said:

Wow!
    Is this a direct quote from Limbaugh? Sure sounds like it. SOME conservatives are so out of touch with reality it is no longer amusing. I am not saying hes a great, or even good, president...but the biggest fraud ever in politics? What an effin joke. Coming out of the worst recession in 50 years he oversees 11 straight months of job creation for the first time since 90's with TOTAL congressional opposition and hes the biggest fraud ever? 6 years without putting significant numbers of american troops in harms way, and hes the biggest fraud in politics ever? He eliminated the "preexisting condition" loophole that allowed insurance companies to deny paying the coverage that was rightfully paid for by the consumer (albeit in a flawed program, but at least INSURED people wont be getting any more 1 million dollar bills for childbirth because they had a UTI once), he must be the worst president ever! Impeach! The right wing media claimed we would be toast by now and we are still trucking on, getting better every day...surely that makes him the biggest fraud ever out of shitcago!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    muskydan said:

I'm sorry I thought that was political corruption capital.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    In theory there is some descent ideas and concepts here.The problem as with most everything this admin has done is they will find a way to bungle this up.It always sounds good at first but then we find out it wasn't quite what we expected.Im not sure they know how to put the right people in the right positions.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Interesting timing for a bomb like this....right before the Ferguson verdict?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    the republicans would never ever do anything on this issue.

why?

because immigrants see through the republicans bullshit. republicans hate immigrants and view them as leeches on society, who come here and steal the jobs of real 'mericans... they steal the jobs that every real 'merican wants to do. you know, like yard work, cleaning hotel rooms, cleaning toilets at a mall, bussing tables and washing dishes in a restaurant, you know. all of those great jobs with great wages and benefits...

. why on earth would the gop ever do anything to help them? especially with the gop being so unpopular with immigrants.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

muskydan said:

what crime has he committed? you have to have a crime to have an impeachment. although i am sure some people on here would rather a lynching, because there are no legal hurdles and no proof of a crime would be needed, but we live in a society with laws. i hope the gop impeaches him. nothing will rally a democratic base in 2016 like them impeaching 2 dem presidents in a row. i hope they try it.

rr165892 said:

muskydan said:

I'm sorry I thought that was political corruption capital.
    gun death capital too.

muskydan said:

Yeah that's going to happen. Although I'm fine with President Biden if it does.

I bet half the tea baggers think if Obama is impeached then Ted Cruz becomes President
    there are talks that biden will run in 2016. why not give him a head start now?

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Wow!
    Is this a direct quote from Limbaugh? Sure sounds like it. SOME conservatives are so out of touch with reality it is no longer amusing. I am not saying hes a great, or even good, president...but the biggest fraud ever in politics? What an effin joke. Coming out of the worst recession in 50 years he oversees 11 straight months of job creation for the first time since 90's with TOTAL congressional opposition and hes the biggest fraud ever? 6 years without putting significant numbers of american troops in harms way, and hes the biggest fraud in politics ever? He eliminated the "preexisting condition" loophole that allowed insurance companies to deny paying the coverage that was rightfully paid for by the consumer (albeit in a flawed program, but at least INSURED people wont be getting any more 1 million dollar bills for childbirth because they had a UTI once), he must be the worst president ever! Impeach! The right wing media claimed we would be toast by now and we are still trucking on, getting better every day...surely that makes him the biggest fraud ever out of shitcago!
    Nope, thats all me. Don't give Phat Limbaugh credit for that one. We have had loads of Frauds from this town, but he made it to the most powerful person in the world job…so I am going to say he is the current title holder. Hillary is sure going to do her best to take that title over..

muskydan said:

what crime has he committed? you have to have a crime to have an impeachment. although i am sure some people on here would rather a lynching, because there are no legal hurdles and no proof of a crime would be needed, but we live in a society with laws. i hope the gop impeaches him. nothing will rally a democratic base in 2016 like them impeaching 2 dem presidents in a row. i hope they try it.

I hope you are just being sarcastic with your thoughts here…What Laws has he broken??? Seriously?? you appear to be smarter than that….. and the Lynching thing, well i will just leave that shameful suggestion alone.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

I hope you are just being sarcastic with your thoughts here…What Laws has he broken??? Seriously?? you appear to be smarter than that….. and the Lynching thing, well i will just leave that shameful suggestion alone.
    Democrats care more about Obama's color than Republicans. They forget that the president that was impeached by House Republicans was a white president named Bill Clinton.

That lynching comment was ridiculous. If that comment isn't racist and insensitive than I don't know what would be.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    muskydan said:

rgambs said:

muskydan said:

Wow!
    Nope, thats all me. Don't give Phat Limbaugh credit for that one. We have had loads of Frauds from this town, but he made it to the most powerful person in the world job…so I am going to say he is the current title holder. Hillary is sure going to do her best to take that title over..
    so he beats out the president who, for profit, based on lies. started a war that cost trillions of dollars and thousands of american lives, and engineered a wall st bailout which cost trillions of dollars....how? Please...let's get back to reality and out of the extemist mindframe! Has he done some bad things? Of course, but this worst president ever business is just infantile! Would you care to provide some evidence that he has cost the country more dollars or lives than his predecessor or someone like Jackson?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447
    a5pj said:

Just look at Obama and Hilary. 8 years ago they were against gay marriage, but now that public opinion is on the side of gay marriage they are for it.

Pretty sure that I've never seen Obama being against gay marriage...
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Good going, Obama =D>
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    edited November 2014
    Things that make republican heads spin....

A young black president
    Legal same sex marriage
    Legal Marijuana
    Legal abortion
    Getting out of wars and slowing down the military industrial complex
    More brown, yellow, black, etc Americans
    Electric cars
    Solar and wind powered energy
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on

A young black president
    Legal same sex marriage
    Legal Marijuana
    Legal abortion
    Electric cars

don't forget:
    guns hurt people and cause deaths
    women having rights to their own bodies
    providing good free education for everyone
    making companies insure their workers
    saying global warming is real
    food for poor working people
    and that corporations don't deserve more rights than people

anyone want to add more

A young black president
    Legal same sex marriage
    Legal Marijuana
    Legal abortion
    Electric cars

That list is priceless…. BUT you forgot one…..Ignorant people
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love how the issue itself has become lost in the ever-entertaining albeit tiring "fuck you, GOP", "no, fuck YOU, Dems!"

No wonder shit never gets resolved.
    hedonist said:

I love how the issue itself has become lost in the ever-entertaining albeit tiring "fuck you, GOP", "no, fuck YOU, Dems!"

No wonder shit never gets resolved.

true dat