2»

Comments

• PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I didn't immediately take to Infallible when LB came out, but really loved Sirens. I went to 4 shows last fall and the tables have turned 180. Now Infallible is among my favs on the album and I can hardly listen to Sirens, especially on the boots. Timing is all over the place with the long drum fills and strumming parts.

The message to me (part of it anyway) is life is only as busy as we allow it to be, and that keeps me from finding priorities. The Infallible message gives me inspiration to not let the important things get pushed aside. I don't remember being so damn busy when I grew up, my parents weren't this busy for some reason. Whatever it is, collectively we've lost track of something and how do we make sense of the complications of modern life.

I do think Infallible could've been pushed a little harder on the album, but it makes the live version all the better to me. And, someone else said it's a great set up for Pendulum, that's spot on and awesome album layout. Like mac and cheese. Even on the boots, I sometimes expect for Pendulum to come on afterwards.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I would and do take Infallible over Sirens.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited July 2014
    I like it, not my favorite on LB, but I like it.. The lyrics are great, the music is quite repetitive, and I think that's the main reason some people may dislike it.. but overall a good song.
    The OP, anyway, is plain wrong when says Eddie struggle to sing this song because of the time.. the time signature is a straight 4/4 from start to finish, and the guitar rhythm figures are very very simple, nothing weird or bizarre in this song..
    It's just a cool pop song, maybe the more "poppish" song they ever done.. Maybe this is what bothers you the most?
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Great song. I think the lyrics are brilliant and they don't seemed forced. I also think that if this song was released as a single, it could have easily reached different audiences and stayed on the charts longer than sirens.
  • cookie84cookie84 liverpool Posts: 91
    Not the best song or the worst of the album I'd take infallible over ltrp or swallowed whole all day It definitely sounds better live though..
  • DreamyDanDreamyDan netherlands/belgium Posts: 83
    it sometimes pops into my head when i'm at work, and it sits there being quite jolly and fluffy {which i've never attributed to a Pearl Jam song before...} and at one point the comparison to Robbie Williams {british pop-artist, very main stream...} appeared - and then i kept thinking about this guy, whom my former other half hated, nay: despised, and i now hate to compare his stuff to a Pearl Jam song...

so my mind is still very much divided about Infallible... it sounds different - for Pearl Jam - and it has a nice groove to it, and i like it on the whole, but i don't like that it reminds me of an ego-tripping pop-diva...

• Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 900
    Love the verse, that 'dirty' riff sounds great. I just think the chorus and solo feels a little out of place compared to the verse. normally find myself skipping after the second verse to be honest, but that takes nothing away from the awesomeness of the first half of the song
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I think Infallible is one of the best songs, lyrically,on the record. It's a wake up call. A quite protest song. And not just to the government of the day, but to all of us to wake up and realize we are the author of our own demise. I'm surprised that in discussing this song we are not talking about the message, rather then if the song is good or not.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • I still say this song is a fucking Classic.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    Infallible over Sirens for me.

But my fave off Lightning Bolt is Pendulum.
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • spacekaddettespacekaddette Posts: 41
    edited September 2020

Post edited by Sea on
    2003 - Buffalo
    2008 - Hartford, Mansfield I, Toronto I (EV Solo)
    2010 - Buffalo
    2013 - Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II
    2014 - St. Paul, Milwaukee, Denver
    2015 - Buenos Aires, Mexico City
    2016 - New York I, New York II
  • marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    I really like that song. Not the best one of this album but a great one !
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    I like this song a lot. Well I did. I told my friend about it and he overplayed it around me so now it is sort of ruined. I try not to listen to it any more unless it comes up on shuffle so I can still get into it. I prefer the studio version of it though. I heard them play it in Philly last year and I didn't really like it. It might sound better on other boots, I'm not sure. It is better than songs like Yellow Moon and Swallowed Whole. I think I would I would rank it in the top half of LB. My favorite song on LB is My Father's Son. The bass riff in it is great and the song is so unique as a whole.
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14

• I love infallible.
  • Somewhere a Transformer Dinobot is romping shooting flames out of its mouth to this rhythm!

Which is fine by me!!
  • Just to add on, I am a fan of the song too
  • I love this song, and have since I first listened to it. It has a different feel to it at the beginning, and the chorus seems like pure PJ to me, and I like how the intensity of the chorus builds each time. I also dig the harmonies going on in this song (and in other sports on Lightning Bolt); I like that direction in the band. As someone else pointed out about the repetitiveness, I think that's what makes the song work, that opening riff, the repetition of "keep on..." that it opens and ends with, and what to me seems like a theme of inactivity, not getting your hands dirty so to say. I say this song is brilliant!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Not played yet on the current US tour
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

What a great thread.

:-q
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

What a great thread.

:-q

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Man I was exited when I saw a new post in this section.
    I like the section, and wonder why it is visted so little.

I must say I was a bit disappointed to find it was the same post yet again.

Why do you bother so much with this song if you don't like it?
    Why not post about a song you do like?

I was excited too until the poster above me made a comment about this thread.
    Sorry to disappoint.
    Now I know what you mean.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

Sorry to disappoint.
  • calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    I think the lyrics are great. The song has grown on me over the last year. Something similar happened to me with Love Boat Captain. Didn't like LBC at all at first; now I think it's a gem. I'm not saying I consider Infallible a gem, but I really like those lyrics in the chorus.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Man I was exited when I saw a new post in this section.
    I like the section, and wonder why it is visted so little.

I must say I was a bit disappointed to find it was the same post yet again.

Why do you bother so much with this song if you don't like it?
    Why not post about a song you do like?

I was excited too until the poster above me made a comment about this thread.
    Sorry to disappoint.
    Now I know what you mean.
    Too bad your point is mute because you had so many oher reactions to respond to and chose mine instead. Mine was by no means the only new post. But it's nice to know that you know what I mean.
    ;)
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn