Fellow pj fans ripping other fans off

WTF 100 bucks for a DETROIT shirt. Don't see how anyone could charge extra money to another fan. I hope Ten Club figures this out and let's us preorder merchandise before the show. I would love to see all you schmucks go out of busines!!!!!!
Brooklyn 1,2 13
Chicago EV 08 11 13
Cleveland 94 98 03 06 10
Cincinatti 06
Columbus 00 03 10
Detroit 06 EV 11 14
Grand Rapids 06
Hershey 03
Jacksonville EV 12
Moline 14
Montreal 05
Milwaukee EV 08
Nobelsville 03
Ottawa 05
Pittsburgh 06 13
Toledo 96 04

WRIGLEY 13

Comments

• ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Nobody gets ripped off if they willingly choose to pay such high prices on the secondary market.

But I think there is general agreement that PJ could stand to produce a few more of the specialty items, given the high demand that currently exists.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

WTF 100 bucks for a DETROIT shirt. Don't see how anyone could charge extra money to another fan. I hope Ten Club figures this out and let's us preorder merchandise before the show. I would love to see all you schmucks go out of busines!!!!!!

Or how about the ridiculous things those same fanclub members are offering for said merchandise? That's how "they" fuck up the market for the rest. G R E E D.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I'm done with this merch shit. After trying my luck in Moline, I'm saying to hell with even bothering with St Paul even though it's my hometown show. If I score something inside great, if not, I have a ticket stub.

St Paul should be interesting. There's a homeless shelter across the street from the venue. I guarantee some dirtbags will be paying some of them to stand in line and buy shit today. Guarantee it.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    It's called CAPITALISM $$$ :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    The band is playing the same game with their merchandise. :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

ryph raph said:

It's called CAPITALISM $$$ :-&

You're avatar is fitting lol
  • ceska said:

Nobody gets ripped off if they willingly choose to pay such high prices on the secondary market.

But I think there is general agreement that PJ could stand to produce a few more of the specialty items, given the high demand that currently exists.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this statement. It doesn't matter which show I've been to, or for which band - there are always going to be people willing to market to those for whom money is no object. It's a symbiotic relationship.

If you're willing to pay $100+ for a t-shirt, then that's your call. I can be one of those people, too, depending on what it is I want; sometimes, cost is completely irrelevant to me because the thrill of chasing and obtaining that specific item is worth it.

I agree, too, though, that more specialty merch is necessary. I'm less concerned with grubby people profiting off fans than I am with the fact that fans simply can't access the merch they want because it sells out in 15 minutes.
    "If there was a reason, it was you."

May 9, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2006 - Toronto, ON :: May 10, 2010 - Buffalo, NY :: September 11, 2011 - Toronto, ON :: September 15, 2011 - Hamilton, ON :: April 8, 2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL :: April 9, 2016 - Miami, FL :: May 8, 2016 - Ottawa, ON :: May 10, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: May 11, 2016 - Toronto, ON :: August 20, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: August 22, 2016 - Chicago, IL :: July 10, 2018 - Barcelona, ES :: August 8, 2018 - Seattle, WA:: August 10, 2018 - Seattle, WA ::

The best is yet to come:
    March 18, 2020 - Toronto, ON :: March 24, 2020 - Hamilton, ON
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

I'm done with this merch shit. After trying my luck in Moline, I'm saying to hell with even bothering with St Paul even though it's my hometown show. If I score something inside great, if not, I have a ticket stub.

St Paul should be interesting. There's a homeless shelter across the street from the venue. I guarantee some dirtbags will be paying some of them to stand in line and buy shit today. Guarantee it.

Sad, but probably true!
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    it sucks but it is what it is. as people have stated there will always be a market.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • I didn't stand in a 3 plus hour line that's my fault. I just think it's sickening to watch other die hard fans buy up all the merchandise possible to charge another fan triple the price. I refuse to spend double the price so I guess I'm out.
    Brooklyn 1,2 13
    Chicago EV 08 11 13
    Cleveland 94 98 03 06 10
    Cincinatti 06
    Columbus 00 03 10
    Detroit 06 EV 11 14
    Grand Rapids 06
    Hershey 03
    Jacksonville EV 12
    Moline 14
    Montreal 05
    Milwaukee EV 08
    Nobelsville 03
    Ottawa 05
    Pittsburgh 06 13
    Toledo 96 04

WRIGLEY 13
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

ceska said:

I'm pretty much in agreement with this statement. It doesn't matter which show I've been to, or for which band - there are always going to be people willing to market to those for whom money is no object. It's a symbiotic relationship.

If you're willing to pay $100+ for a t-shirt, then that's your call. I can be one of those people, too, depending on what it is I want; sometimes, cost is completely irrelevant to me because the thrill of chasing and obtaining that specific item is worth it.

I agree, too, though, that more specialty merch is necessary. I'm less concerned with grubby people profiting off fans than I am with the fact that fans simply can't access the merch they want because it sells out in 15 minutes.
    At the Milton Keynes show I was offered £100+ for my orange Netherlands shirt I got at the Amsterdam 1 gig. I turned it down, who's the fool!?!?

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,330
    The problem lies with Pearl Jam selling merchandise early outside the area. Why you ask? Well you don't need a Pearl Jam ticket to wait in the merch line. Any local fan or not that's not going to the show can wait in line and purchase as many items as possible. Few items are restricted, but many others are not. This is where the problem lies ...

• I'm willing to bet 90 percent if not higher of the people in line or pj fans going to the show
    Brooklyn 1,2 13
    Chicago EV 08 11 13
    Cleveland 94 98 03 06 10
    Cincinatti 06
    Columbus 00 03 10
    Detroit 06 EV 11 14
    Grand Rapids 06
    Hershey 03
    Jacksonville EV 12
    Moline 14
    Montreal 05
    Milwaukee EV 08
    Nobelsville 03
    Ottawa 05
    Pittsburgh 06 13
    Toledo 96 04

WRIGLEY 13
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    For PJ everything needs to be made to order.

As for ebay its capitalism. No ones being ripped off unless theyre buying fake goods.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Cant blame people for making a buck these days.
    If you want gig specific merch badly enough we all know what needs to be done.
    You wait in line.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    They're just not making enough of this stuff, period.

Now that said, I was bummed when I got to the merchandise trailer finally, and in addition to the posters, stickers and buttons all being sold out - the XL Moline shirts were sold out too. And now I look on ebay, and most of the shirts for sale are XL. Is XL the magic size to buy for flippers or something?
    Get_Right said:

Cant blame people for making a buck these days.
    If you want gig specific merch badly enough we all know what needs to be done.
    You wait in line.

Well, tons of people did and got shut out of anyway. It's gone a bit beyond that now.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Sarava said:

Yep. Pretty simple. They sell out of the show specific stuff in every city. They need to produce more and then they can sell whatever is leftover on the website after the tour....I doubt they would have any trouble selling that stuff here.
    edited October 2014

Sarava said:

Yep. Pretty simple. They sell out of the show specific stuff in every city. They need to produce more and then they can sell whatever is leftover on the website after the tour....I doubt they would have any trouble selling that stuff here.
    The Posters are especially baffling. I work at a high-end printer in Chicago and know how pricing goes. You'll pay X number of dollars for 5,000 prints. To double that might only add 20% to the costs. Many of the costs are paid up front regardless of quantity (like design, prepress time, plates, etc.). It would cost them so little to print another 5 or 10 thousand for each show....and even if they burned unsold prints after each show, they'd still kill it. They are definitely keeping supply lower than demand on purpose.
    Post edited by Sarava on
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639

in Memphis the Gibson Guitar Factory was across the street, but I do think St Paul will be an unforgettable show, especially having the day off the day before and the Tour almost over
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • demetrios said:

The problem lies with Pearl Jam selling merchandise early outside the area. Why you ask? Well you don't need a Pearl Jam ticket to wait in the merch line. Any local fan or not that's not going to the show can wait in line and purchase as many items as possible. Few items are restricted, but many others are not. This is where the problem lies ...

I keep hearing this but I just don't see it. With few exceptions, the only ones that know the money market that Pearl Jam merch is are Pearl Jam fans. Pearl Jam fans are going to the concert if they are in the city anyhow. I just can't imagine there are a large number of people in the merch line that aren't going to the concert.
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

demetrios said:

I keep hearing this but I just don't see it. With few exceptions, the only ones that know the money market that Pearl Jam merch is are Pearl Jam fans. Pearl Jam fans are going to the concert if they are in the city anyhow. I just can't imagine there are a large number of people in the merch line that aren't going to the concert.
    Totally agree.

Maybe it's a US thing cos I didn't have any of these problems at this years Euro shows. I think the longest I queued up for was 10 minutes and I got everything I wanted.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
    edited October 2014
    I think people caught on that you could basically fund your entire tour trip by buying merch and selling for quad times the amount. Look at ebay, there's ALWAYS this one guy who's selling a package of shirt/sticker/pin at every show. EVERY show. So that means he's either following them or works for them and is making a little extra cash on the side.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    badbrains said:

I think people caught on that you could basically fund your entire tour trip by buying merch and selling for quad times the amount. Look at ebay, there's ALWAYS this one guy who's selling a package of shirt/sticker/pin at every show. EVERY show. So that means he's either following them or works for them and is making a little extra cash on the side.

My guess is that they would be following. I don't think that they would put up with someone on the inside making cash on the side.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • cmarch007cmarch007 Fishers, IN Posts: 293
    Its a Green Disease....
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Noblesville - May 07, 2010
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin- Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL. July 19, 2013
    Pittsburgh - Oct 11, 2013
    Buffalo - Oct 12, 2013 GA-rail in McCready'ville
    Cincinnati - Oct 1st, 2014 GA 
    St. Louis - Oct 3rd, 2014
    Yield, WI (aka Milwaukee) - Oct 20, 2014 GA 7 people deep McCreadyville
    Lexington, KY (GA - 2nd row between Ed & Jeff!!!)
    Wrigley Field '16 N1 (GA)
    Wrigley Field '16 N2 
    Wrigley Field '18 (N1)
    Wrigley Field '18 N2 (GA)
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    2013 for example.
    baltimore.
    3pm.
    small line. 20 deep.
    all stickers and posters were sold out.
    i was able to get me and my girl show specific shirts in the sizes we desired.
    xl for me and med for her.
    but sold out 4 HOURS before the show?!
    merch was sitting RIGHT in the middle of downtown....
    i had a feeling tourists and other locals were buying this stuff, becuase why not?
    its all very cool stuff, and makes for a good momento from a trip or vacation.

philly 2
    me and my buddy dave were in line around the same time.
    about 50 people in line.
    we watched the posters disappear, and then restock.
    we each scored stickers and posters, but NO city specific shirts in our size.
    i asked if there was more tshirts to restock and the woman laughed at us and said theyd only be available inside, and wed better line up now if we wanted a chance to score one.
    needless to say, we didnt score any city specific tshirts.
    again. 4 HOURS before the show.
    merch was sitting next to the arena, BUT its a location thats kinda out of the way, and not neccessarily sitting in a downtown location like baltimore was.

charlottesville, i had learned my lesson.
    me and my girl made our way to the arena around 1pm, and we only had about 20 people in line in front of us.
    we scored everything we desired.
    prolly coulda waited because the merch and the arena were in a rather out of the way place.
    again, not like sitting in the middle of a downtown city like baltimore.

charlotte, we knew we were in trouble for merch leaving cville, cuz we didnt know how long a drive we had ahead of us.
    got to the hotel. checked in, and barely had enough time for dinner.
    didnt even try for merch, cuz we had already over heard people in our hotel saying everything was sold out while we were checking in.

ive never sold anything on ebay, but ive bought plenty.
    the only way i can stomach ebay, is, in my opinion, check the day of and the day after for merch cuz thats when itll be most flooded, and the best (lowest) prices.

i was able to score everything i wanted but missed, for a flipped price obviously, which i dont mind, because now that stuff is impossible to find.

'you win some, you lose some....
    but you live to fight another day!'

cheers,
    jake
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2014
    Wrigley was the last straw for me waited 2.5 for mercy only to watch the last stuff sell out 2 people before me. Said this is it, wen to Moline and didn,'t buy a thing. Was so nice not having merch anxiety, I cannot tell you how much more relaxed I was for and during The show. If anyone missed Moline you got there late as I was an hour early and everything was still availbe except the venue specific shirts in large sizes. Just say no and life is so much less stressful

If someone is willing to pay that price who really is to blame, s calper,flipper or the poor desperate person willing to pay 500% markup?big people wouldn't pay that, they couldn't charge that
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    I advocate for a new perk for 10C with 10C tix for a show to be able to preorder (24-36 hour advance) up to one item of each local venue item; have the item(s) paid for online; and pickup similar to will call tickets (show your ID and sign a slip) in a merch express lane. Free free to extend to all 10C and whether or not to offer shipping as an option. Standing in long hour plus queues is a downer before an otherwise awesome event especially to get to the front and find out the desired items are gone.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    it seems to me that people are buy up loads of stuff [ especially stickers and badges atm ] just to make loads of cash i mean some people where swelling stickers and pins as you call them for £15/20 plus ......its rude imo