Options

Advice for buying guitars?

steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
I am looking to upgrade to a REAL electric guitar that I can play for a long time. Right now I have a Stagg Telecaster and it's good to start with, but I'm ready to get a better guitar. I've been looking at a 60s era Roadworn Strat but at $800 it may be a little bit out of my price range. Any suggestions on what I should get?
Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14

Comments

• Options
    Any suggestions? Anyone?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Go test out a bunch in your price range and go with the one that feels right.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Is there any guitar that you would suggest I try out?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Depends on your style. There is no right answer.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Like it was already stated...test out different ones. All about feel and connection.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    edited September 2014
    Don't be afraid to buy a used guitar. You can get way more guitar for your money that way, and chances are, it's already been setup and broken in, with a case (sometimes more), ready to play from the start. There are a ton of guitars in the intermediate price range that are worth the cash, it's hard to say which ones will fit you best. Knowing what kind of sound, feel, or look you would like might help some of us come up with recommendations. The obvious frontrunners would be a Made in Mexico Fender Strat or Tele, or an Epiphone Les Paul or SG, which should be around $400 used in good condition. After that, the selection is endless. Craigslist and eBay are still pretty good places to look. If you find a listing for a guitar, feel free to post a link and we can comment on whether it's a good guitar or a good deal.
    Post edited by mccreadyisgod on
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Play, play, play some more before buying
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Most shops will let you use a practice room where you can try our guitars at your leisure. If you have such a shop nearby, try out a few different styles to see how they feel and sound. Try a Strat, (or more affordable Squire Strat) a Tele (or ditto, Squire Tele) a semi hollow body and a Les Paul copy. See how they feel playing on you feet. Listen to the tone using all pick up positions. Ask yourself, "How does the guitar feel in my hands? How does the fret board feel? Do I like the tone?"

Don't worry about name brands if you can't afford them. I've had US made Les Paul's, a US Strat, and a bunch of other guitars and right now three of my guitars are inexpensive models- an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow body, a Squire Strat with dual humbuckers and a First Act Westerberg that cost me $280, $200 and $150 respectively and I like them all a lot and have no plans to get rif of any of them. And I play them all way more than the Replica '72 Tele Thinline I have hanging on the wall. That guitar is one I cherish as a gift but it has never felt or sounded quite right to me. Go by what feels and sounds right to you!

Good luck, keep us posted.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    +1 to the play comments and the used guitar stuff. Most of my stuff is used and works great. Also, just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's great. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it sucks. Also, you can always modify guitars
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments!! I never thought about getting something used. I'll try to keep this updated, but with the upcoming PJ NA tour, I may have to wait to spend money on a guitar until after Moline.
  • Options
    I really am a fan of used guitars. Most people take excellent care of their instruments. Some people have multiple guitars and some sit in the case more than they are played. Ive bought several used guitars and all but one looked brand new and some even have upgrades. The bonus to this is that you only pay a fraction of a brand new one.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited September 2014
    Don't just go to the used section of Guitar Center, either.

Check out your nearest hole in the wall independent store, and go there frequently. They'll usually let you hang out and play for hours. My nearest store has a bunch of junk. But when something good comes by, it isn't on the wall for very long before it gets picked up. If you start a relationship with the owner, he might go so far as to call you when something special or in your price range comes in.

Also, pawn shops.
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Check out your nearest hole in the independent store, and go there frequently. They'll usually let you hang out and play for hours. My nearest store has a bunch of junk. But when something good comes by, it isn't on the wall for very long before it gets picked up. If you start a relationship with the owner, he might go so far as to call you when something special or in your price range comes in.

Also, pawn shops.

I regularly check the website of my local indy store and just found this

http://www.drumsetc.com/content/used-fender-mexican-made-stratocastor-special-edition-yellow-splattercastor-finish

It's a little out of my price range but I may be able to bargain or put it on layaway. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

CM189191 said:

Check out your nearest hole in the independent store, and go there frequently. They'll usually let you hang out and play for hours. My nearest store has a bunch of junk. But when something good comes by, it isn't on the wall for very long before it gets picked up. If you start a relationship with the owner, he might go so far as to call you when something special or in your price range comes in.

Also, pawn shops.

http://www.drumsetc.com/content/used-fender-mexican-made-stratocastor-special-edition-yellow-splattercastor-finish

It's a little out of my price range but I may be able to bargain or put it on layaway. Any thoughts?
    It's...unique.

I like this one better: http://www.drumsetc.com/content/used-gibson-2012-les-paul-studio-70s-tribute-electric-guitar

you should go play them both!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Go to your closest Sam Ash Music store.
    Prices the same as Guitar Center, but family owned.
    Usually a good new AND used selection so you'll get the
    best range of all options, and price points.
    Try to buy American made if possible.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

Also, pawn shops.

It's...unique.

I like this one better: http://www.drumsetc.com/content/used-gibson-2012-les-paul-studio-70s-tribute-electric-guitar

you should go play them both!
    I saw that one. I like it but the strat is just so unique. I've never seen anything like it. I think I'm going to try them out on saturday.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    CM189191 said:

Also, pawn shops.

Yeah, I've been in some great small shops. I once saw a marvelously beautiful old Guild electric in a small independent shop in dinky Diamond Springs, CA- (Knight's Music- now long gone but was a great shop). Can't remember what it was now but oh man, wish I'd coughed up the $150. I was dead poor at the time and I stared at that thing and said, "Guitar or food?". Oh well- gotta eat. haha!

Yeah, for sure. Check out those good little shops!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    edited September 2014
    Craigslist and ebay were my friends. I bought a few off there and got great deals (just be aware of what you're buying). The downside to ebay is that you can't try the specific guitar. Craigslist and pawnshops are great. Also garage sales! I got a vintage univox amp for 25 bucks...and there was a microphone hidden inside! I was honest and brought it up to the seller and she said "it's your lucky day"!
    Post edited by xtremehardy388 on
  • Options
    With that Strat, with the splatter paint job, the price is a bit higher than it should be. Even with the fancy paint job, that should only be a $500-700 guitar. There is one currently on eBay, buy it now $599. If the paint makes it worth it to you, you will probably pay extra for it. But if that was a solid-color or sunburst finish, it would be $400-500. I think you should be drawn to guitars, even based on how they look, so if this guitar is calling you, be prepared to answer. Thankfully, it's local to you, so you can go sit and hold it and try it out.

My one piece of advice is to play it in a quiet room unplugged, at least at first. A good electric will sound good unplugged, and feel good in your hands. Then your impressions of the guitar won't be colored by the amp and any effects, distortion, reverb, etc.

It definitely sounds like you are drawn to Fender and Fender-esque guitars. You should be able to find something that fits your needs, and within a price range you can afford. Fender is still an amazing value in guitars.
  • Options
    I like the looks of this one:

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/4656041252.html

I'm assuming you're in Lancaster? Anyways, the price is right on this one. A few upgrades, a nice hardshell case. They blocked the trem, but that's easy to revert if you want it unblocked. It's a solid color with flake, so it's a bit sparkly but not nearly as flashy as the splatter Strat. That said, it looks like it has 100% of the play and sound of the other one at 45% the price.
  • Options

I like the looks of this one:

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/4656041252.html

I'm assuming you're in Lancaster? Anyways, the price is right on this one. A few upgrades, a nice hardshell case. They blocked the trem, but that's easy to revert if you want it unblocked. It's a solid color with flake, so it's a bit sparkly but not nearly as flashy as the splatter Strat. That said, it looks like it has 100% of the play and sound of the other one at 45% the price.

Thanks for the tip. What do you think about this one?
    http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/4656872771.html

Same price, just different color. Is there any real difference between them?
  • Options
    Biggest difference between them is the maple neck on the white one, versus the rosewood fretboard on the red one. The red one comes with a hardshell case, the white one comes with a gig bag. The red one was made in 96, the white one was made in 08 (in this case, I think older is a bit better, since I feel like the Mexican factory heyday was 1988-2000). I don't know what pickups were installed in the red one (he just says Fender custom shop), but he does say he installed the Fender FBX tone pot, which is a cool upgrade.

Then again, this is where the previous advice really comes into play: Try before you buy. Different guitars made to the exact same specs by the exact same factory can end up VERY different in quality, tone, and playability. This can be true of guitars back-to-back off the factory line, let alone 12 years apart. And you won't know which is which from photos on a Craigslist page. Ask the seller to let you try it out, and play it a bit. Remember what I said earlier: play it in a quiet space, unplugged, at least at first. See if it resonates with you and your playing style. See if the action is at least playable.

One of these guitars sounds far better on paper, but you may fall in love with the other one. The maple fretboard may be something you want. The white finish might be more your style. If it plays good, go for it. If not, try the red one. If neither of them call out to you, keep looking. One eventually will, and it will be worth the wait and the diligence.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight. I'll try to try them out.
  • Options
  • Options
    Again, it's all about trying the guitar and getting the feel and making a connection with the instrument. Much like test driving a car, everything will be based on your preferences. Test as many as you can
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    edited September 2014
    I agree that you shouldn't buy anything without playing it first. For added peace of mind, bring along a guitar expert for guidance/affirmation (not the salesperson). Used guitars can be great. I just got a good deal on a '78 Electra MPC X330 and am head over heels for it. This is a little-known Les Paul knock-off with onboard effects. It's 37 years old and plays like dream; even the funky old effects modules still work.

I'd never heard of Electra and would not have even known to look for one. I'd been looking for an affordable but nice Les Paul for a while and saw this one hanging on the wall in the local record store. I gave it a try, liked the way it played, had my guitar teacher check it out (he's way more expert on these things than I am) and did some research on this model, its history and current value. It also helped that I know/trust the shop owner and it was one of his personal guitars.
    Post edited by Dog Loyal on
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.