Options

Daughter/It's OK

ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
The Pearl Jam Daughter/It's OK performance at Jones Beach, NY (captured on the Touring Band 2000 DVD) has become one of my favorite songs of any band. I've watched the DVD a million times and the song only really caught on the other day.
Eddie is now in the small list of people who can say "it's ok" or everything will be ok and it mean something to me.
Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i never tire of watching this.....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6xV0uAVpk
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    drunkcow wrote:
    The Pearl Jam Daughter/It's OK performance at Jones Beach, NY (captured on the Touring Band 2000 DVD) has become one of my favorite songs of any band. I've watched the DVD a million times and the song only really caught on the other day.
    Eddie is now in the small list of people who can say "it's ok" or everything will be ok and it mean something to me.
    i feel the exact same way, when things get bad or whenever i'm sad i say to myself, "eddie said it'll be okay so it'll be ok"
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    FOR SURE!!! The TB2K DVD introduced me to that song combo and from the first time I knew it was something really very cool!

I feek really lucky to have witnessed it in person at The Gorge last year....and such a killer heartfelt version too!!
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Virginia Beach. First show after Roskilde tragedy. Very, very moving.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    Yep, when I sing it to my daughter it goes like this: "It's ok, it's ok... You know I love my Haley Mae..."
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779
    have you listened to "está bien"? it also works in spanish! I love that one better than the english version, it's in youtube, live in mexico, palacio de los deportes, 2005... beautiful
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    For my money, the absolute best version was the Virginia Beach, which I just heard recently. Thoughts and mp3 here:

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007/09/sing-loud-cuz-its-outside-sing-loud-cuz.html

Yes?

Heather
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • Options
    hbrowne wrote:
    For my money, the absolute best version was the Virginia Beach, which I just heard recently. Thoughts and mp3 here:

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007/09/sing-loud-cuz-its-outside-sing-loud-cuz.html

Yes?

Heather

This version is beautiful and very emotional.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    The version on The Gorge blows me away
    4/23/03 - Champaign, IL
    5/16/06 - Chicago, IL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    5/4/10 - St Louis, MO

...tickle my nausea...
  • Options
    The version on The Gorge blows me away
    ya, what a time that was hearing that! but all in all i think the jones beach one will never be topped!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Jones beach

what a run

great times great shows

great song- Thats what I live for at PJ shows, improv/stuff Ive never heard before
  • Options
    It's such a great combo! Always gives me shivers down my spine.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    i remember the first time i heard the virginia beach version. i remember how fresh the roskilde incident was at that time and i remember that a lot of people were wondering how the band was going to react to being in front of another large audience for the first time since the tragedy. they were really devestated. i ordered the boot when it was first available and when i heard this i seriously got chills and tears.

to me it was like Ed and the guys comforting not only the audience and all pearl jam fans who were grieving with them, as well as the families of the people that had lost their lives, but he was comforting the rest of the band and helping them to begin to deal with what had happened at roskilde and begin the healing. the way he sings the "world is never safe" just has so much meaning on so many levels to me. ie. even at a concert the world is not always a safe place.

this tag was something so unexpected and i think it was actually necessary at that time and for that reason i think the VB was the best version. either way its an incredible song and tag. when i get bummed out about something i just remember "its okay". another lesson i have learned from ed and the boys.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    drunkcow wrote:

Hell yeah, I have just recently started getting into that song as well. It is an absolutely amazing tag at the end of Daughter. Definately my favorite ending to a live Daughter out of the ones that I have heard before. It is great when Eddie decides to go in to depth and really hammer out some lyrics at the end of Daughter instead of mumbling and slurring some words and noises. But then again, he is Ed Vedder, lead singer of Pearl Jam so he can do whatever the fuck he wants at the end of Daughter. :)
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • Options
    the gorge one from 2006 is mindblowing, as well as the esta bien from mexico. the first cord coming out of the daughter jam = chills....
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    There are two versions which i found interesting..the first being the second show in Mexico (2005) where Eddie sings the lyrics of "It's Ok" ("Esta Bien") in spanish and the one in Italy (Bologna 2006) where he does the same in italian ("Tutto Ok"). This brings the crowd into extasy and to complete commitment and of course it could be tagged as a rarity..very nice.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    My favorite Daughter tag.
    I cannot wait for it to come up every time I listed to the last Buenos Aires show boot....I love how it sounds in spanish throughout the tag, especially at the end.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    I do love this tag too ! I've listened the Dead Moon version...I think the guys made a gem with it !!! I love also the one they did for the last show in Vancouver (4th december 2013)
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I love this tag and I wish they would do it more often.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    I always wish they would play it more too. But then I remind myself that it will never be as good as it was on that lovely night on Jones Beach.