*** EV Solo - Brisbane 3 Fanviews Here 02/25/14 ***

2»

Comments

• Had a great time meeting new people and making new friends at Pearl Jam(GC snd Melbourne) and EV shows (melbourne).
    Whoever mentioned above that waiting to see ED after the show is rapey, creepy etc.. you sir are a genuine idiot. If Eddie didn't want to meet anyone he wouldn't.
    He appreciates his fans and loves talking to them. He gave us a pick each in Melbourne (night 1) and spoke to each and everyone of us who waited for him after the show.
    So if the man himself doesn't have a problem, why do you? I just hope that you're a troll.

Anyways, It has been a roller coaster ride for me and a amazing one. And I hope PJ/Eddie come back soon until then I will be listening to bootlegs to keep them from missing them (hopefully) :)
  • VarisVaris Posts: 38
    Yeah dude, waiting around the loading bay at 3 in the morning isn't rapey at all, it's perfectly normal behaviour for a grown adult. You're right, I'm an idiot.

I never pretended to voice Ed's opinion, I, like you, have no idea how he really feels about a group of strangers hanging about to take a little more of him in the wee small hours. I was simply voicing my own opinion on what I consider a kind of dirty thing to do. A tad disrespectful and selfish, but like I said, that's just me.

But whatevs man. If it pumps your nads, so be it. Don't let me stop you.
  • WhoWho Posts: 34
    But seriously, how much fun was it waiting after the show!!! It was far from the dark alley filled crazed/obsessed fans crowding and pushing each other just to get a zombie-like grab of Ed that some might imagine.

It was a fully lit main street, with guitar playing and singing and people chatting with friends new and old. Trading stories about shows, songs etc. It was then a group of people, quietly respecting the time Ed took to chat to each person. And sure, maybe we could have all met in the pub afterwards to do that – but we were there. That was our choice. I think we all hung around for so long becuase the company was so good.

It’s ok to hear disapproving opinions regarding the choice to wait for Ed. If everyone thought it was a good idea, well, we wouldn’t have had the moment we did. While it hurts when people question your motives or disapprove, ultimately it can't really take away from the experience.
    I'm sure it was all kumbaya and flowers in your hair and peace and love and all that shit but I get really tired of that word "respectful" that gets thrown around all the time. I can't see how it is any way respectful to have to get your last pound of flesh from a performer who has already laid it all out and left it on the stage for you. Respectful would be going home and leaving the man about his business. Hanging about for whatever reason, be it to have your poster signed or even just to tell them know how much you love them and how much their music means to you is nothing but selfish - you do it solely for yourself and your own reasons, not in any way for the performer.

Please don't say that the people waiting around aren't "crazed/obsessed fans" - by definition they can be nothing else. Waiting around till the early hours to meet your idol = obsessed.

I appreciate that obviously Ed handles his responsibilities in this area well and takes time out to spend a moment with each of you all hanging out there. But fuck - if I was confronted by a group of weirdos who saw me as some sort of second coming I'd likely try and keep them all placid and happy too! Better safe than sorry, yannow?

Enough! I'm glad that all those that stayed around got to meet Ed and had that experience. Good for you.
    edited February 2014
    I honestly appreciate how strong your point of view is on this. My use of the word respect referred to waiting our turn. I wasn't saying we were showing respect to Ed. I also agree that my motivation to be there was for my own selfish reasons. So, like you said - 'enough' - and let's return the thread to its purpose of reviewing the actual show.
    Post edited by Who on
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Who said:

But seriously, how much fun was it waiting after the show!!! It was far from the dark alley filled crazed/obsessed fans crowding and pushing each other just to get a zombie-like grab of Ed that some might imagine.

It was a fully lit main street, with guitar playing and singing and people chatting with friends new and old. Trading stories about shows, songs etc. It was then a group of people, quietly respecting the time Ed took to chat to each person. And sure, maybe we could have all met in the pub afterwards to do that – but we were there. That was our choice. I think we all hung around for so long becuase the company was so good.

It’s ok to hear disapproving opinions regarding the choice to wait for Ed. If everyone thought it was a good idea, well, we wouldn’t have had the moment we did. While it hurts when people question your motives or disapprove, ultimately it can't really take away from the experience.

Well said Who,
    I was there until 3am and had a great time.
    "Ruben Knows" kept us entertained and everyone was enjoying themselves safely.
    Absolutely nothing weird, stalkerish or "rapey" (such a horrible comparison) about it.
    I met some really cool people and then finally those of us that stuck around got to meet Ed.
    No harm, no foul and our lives are a little bit richer for having had that experience.

2 pages and hardly anyone has mentioned what an amazing show this was...
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    edited February 2014
    On that note, Masters of War was mind blowing. Couldn't believe I finally got to hear it live! I used to request it all the time from cover bands - needless I say - without any result. U know, 'cause that will really get the pub crowd dancing and singing along, not to mention the number of verses to remember :) Was great to hear Sometimes too. I'd recently discovered Springsteen's *Open All Night so that was another highlight. And Tom Morello! Awesome show!
    Post edited by Who on
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    edited February 2014
    Hey Varis, put a sock in it mate! Seriously. 8-|

Ed was quite happy to meet fans before and after the Australian solo shows as long as there were no photos.
    Post edited by E.K on
    The world would be a very quiet and boring place if everyone who had different opinions shut up when told to.
    I like you Who. Agree to disagree and all that. I am insanely jealous of you hearing Masters of War, such a great tune. The Bobfest version remains one of my favourite cover songs of all time.

I had a friend at this show who had the most magical time with his daughter. What a lovely way to finish another run of amazing shows throughout Oz.

And EK - I was quite done with my conversation and I feel I'd made my point, but thanks for the advice anyways, always appreciated.
    Varis said:

I like you Who. Agree to disagree and all that. I am insanely jealous of you hearing Masters of War, such a great tune. The Bobfest version remains one of my favourite cover songs of all time.

I had a friend at this show who had the most magical time with his daughter. What a lovely way to finish another run of amazing shows throughout Oz.

And EK - I was quite done with my conversation and I feel I'd made my point, but thanks for the advice anyways, always appreciated.

Thanks for mentioning the Bobfest version. I just looked it up and saw it for the first time. Wow. I really have no words. Needless to say I'll be grabbing the 30th Anniversary DVD out next Friday. Can't wait to see the other 31 songs on it!

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    I've got to say, I keep coming back to this show in my memory- such a great gig and I cannot get enough of Drive All Night of Glen's EP.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    No Coder said:

I've got to say, I keep coming back to this show in my memory- such a great gig and I cannot get enough of Drive All Night of Glen's EP.

Me too. It was so great being so close to the stage and everything felt so intimate and intense that night. Drive All Night was just beautiful.

Would give anything for an official bootleg of this show.