Options

What do you guys think of Amanda Palmer?

Apparently she played Uke with Eddie in Melbourne according to this article: http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/02/21/heres-amanda-palmer-hanging-eddie-vedder-two-played-ukelele-together-stage-in-australia/

I don't know why but for some reason she kind of rubs me up the wrong way. I have no reason to feel like this as I don't know her music and I liked her TED talk a while ago. She's married to Neil Gaiman, an author I love, but after his constant posting of her and her shows on his blog I got turned off completely. (I follow his blogs because I want to know about him and his work, not her!).

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to make of her. What do others think here?

I would love to see a video of them playing together. though.
"We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
---
London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
London, Wembley, 1996
London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
London, O2, 18 August 2009
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
London, O2, 18 June 2018
London, O2, 17 July 2018
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

Comments

• Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
  • Options
    I really like her, I saw Eddie perform Ukelele Anthem at his Opera House show and loved it. I would have loved to be at the Melbourne show that they performed together.

She is an artist that people either love or hate, she does tend to get on the nerves of a lot of people I know. The way she interacts with her fan, she attended a party of friends of mine who are massive fans and performed at their house, I think is to be commended. Both her an Neil blog a lot and interact with fans in that way as well.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman. I only recognized her name as his wife. Then reading the thread I learned she was in the band Dresden Dolls which I have heard, and who had a couple songs I liked but was never a band I got into. Now every time her name pops up on here in my head I hear "I AM THE GIRL ANACHRONISM" and giggle.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    edited February 2014
    Oh man she is great. I love her.
    Her lyrics are absolutely briliant.
    And I love her sense of humor.
    Good live artist as well.

The only bad thing about her is the fact that she doesn't shave her armpitts.
    X_X
    Post edited by karmadefect on
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Never heard of her
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    She's super talented and loves being naked. What's not to love?
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    Have to say the uke anthem song went way to long in Melbourne. People around us were all looking at each other as well when we heard like the same verse 3 times over. Probably longest song of the night. Sorry but I just want to hear ev. Lastly she came out on hard sun and instead of just doing calm backing vocals like hansard she was singing her lungs out and was often louder then ev. I get the connection but let's move on Hey? ?
  • Options
    Evel KEvel K Posts: 517
    Big fan of AFP The Dresden Dolls are the most unique and entertaining two piece band I've ever heard! Amanda on keys and vocals Brian Viglione on drums and occasional guitar. I haven't listened to much of her solo work because I want another DD album and tour.
    Things were different then
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Yep don't like her....she said she'd never seen Ed play live before until the other night in Melbourne. What a douche!!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    edited February 2014
    Yeah what a Douche, did you see her blog about how excited she was when Eddie sent her the uke. I guess you must have been a douche until the 1st time you saw eddie perform ;);)
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited February 2014
    i've only heard a little about the dresden dolls, but i don't know anything about her specifically, except that she has unusual eyebrows. :)
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    My comment was full of sarcasm.

Yeah what a Douche, did you see her blog about how excited she was when Eddie sent her the uke. I guess you must have been a douche until the 1st time you saw eddie perform ;);)

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    So was mine, didn't you see the winks ;)
  • Options
    jamarsujamarsu Posts: 2
    I think Eddie was very kind to her. I play the ukulele and guitar and would love to spend the night drinking (or not drinking) and playing the uke with Eddie like she did. Would love to sing around a campfire with Eddie though. She is one lucky woman.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    I think she is ugly as shit...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited July 2014
    quimby20 said:

I think she is ugly as shit...

Well then she must be a really awful person. /:)

(Plus she's not ugly... but even if she were, what would it matter?)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Yet another artist who's been recommended to me that I've not really got to checking out. Maybe I'll start another list, an artists to check out list.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Saw the Dresden Dolls open for NIN years ago. They did a WICKED version of War Pigs.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"