Options

Oslo didn't deserve Strangest Tribe

Comments

• Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Peppers: You got a Fucking dart in your neck !

Frank (the tank): Your..... your crazy, man ! I like Ya, but your crazy !
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542

Should have been played in NYC, Chicago or somewhere in the states. I've watched 4 different videos, there was NOT any sort of reaction when the song started. As Gordon Ramsay would say, "It's a shame"

What a strange thing to say.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Get over yourself!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Oslo, home of Pearl Jam.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198

Should have been played in NYC, Chicago or somewhere in the states. I've watched 4 different videos, there was NOT any sort of reaction when the song started. As Gordon Ramsay would say, "It's a shame"

The same NYC where I was in 2008 and people started leaving during Yellow Ledbetter? :)
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    its_ok said:

The same NYC where I was in 2008 and people started leaving during Yellow Ledbetter? :)
    To be fair now, this happens at EVERY pearl jam show.....
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I'm not sure why the OP cares so much. Its not even that great of a song
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    badbrains said:

its_ok said:

Does it?? I havent seen it happening other than in the US shows.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    jervin007 said:

It was the same with Bugs in 2009.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    jervin007 said:

True. It's kind of boring. It IS fun to hear any song played for the first time ever - I get that. But to whine about how a crowd that was, as far as I can tell from the vid, simply listening raptly to a song that people ought to shut up for, is a weird thing to do, and to suggest ANY crowd doesn't deserve something cool from the band is just plain old wrong.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    its_ok said:

badbrains said:

its_ok said:

Does it?? I havent seen it happening other than in the US shows.
    Good point, I've only been to Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014 and Montreal outside the states. I did however see people taking their "piss break" and beer runs during EVen Flow just like we do in the states.
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I don't know Oslo "deserved" it or not but this Euro-14 tour definitely did. It is being such an outstanding tour with the crowd energy, band's performance, Ed's singing and entertaining. It'll be one of the very special things PJ has to offer with this tour. Can't wait for the bootlegs.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I was there and I loved and appreciated every second of it! Actually the silence made it feel even more intimate. Heavy applause lr screams would have drowned out Stone and Ed

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    jervin007 said:

Don't agree. It's a great, moody song. And they performed it beautifully at the first time.

What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    I actually thought this thread was a joke when I saw the title.

I remember when PJ opened with Wash in Edmonton, I felt pretty fortunate. I didn't say anything though, I enjoyed it in silence.

Doesn't mean I didn't appreciate it.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    jumbojet said:

jervin007 said:

Don't agree. It's a great, moody song. And they performed it beautifully at the first time.

To each their own. I just find it boring. I even listened to it again today and it just doesn't do anything for me. Sure, it would be cool to hear it live the first time, but I would much rather hear other moody, mellow songs from their catalog over strangest tribe.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I was there at Oslo and loved hearing Strangest Tribe. I think kt is a great song. Stone's music is good and Ed's lyrics and delivery are as well.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jumbojet said:

jervin007 said:

Yeah, I love its quiet...reminds me of an isolated cabin in the snow at dusk. Such pretty, serene lyrics, presented so well.

Maybe it's because I have emotional ties to when it was released but oh man, I'd dig hearing it live.

As to this whole "deserving" debaucle...I'm disappointed but not too surprised that mindset has so permeated (some in) this community.
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    I believe the OP "deserves" a kick in the balls b-(
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I could care less the song does nothing for me at all as a matter of fact all these white whale songs most of'em do nothing at all for me and most of the time they just don't go over well ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think the song itself is beside the point.

Maybe the band will now say, fuck the OP's town - he is not fit to behold this ;)

I can understanding wishing to have been there but this derision nonsense...stupida fucking game.
  • Options
    gotsome420gotsome420 Posts: 528
    This is the worst thread I have seen on the boards since I joined in 2011. I hope they play all you're white whale songs in Olso from now on.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Stop harassing him, people. He saw FOUR DIFFERENT VIDEOS of the show. Clearly that makes OP the authority on this matter!

Although he did quote Gordon Ramsay which makes me question his credibility.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I say we rejoice in the fact that it is now officially a part of future set lists. It's now a rule.

MARK IT AN EIGHT!!!
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237

I could care less the song does nothing for me at all as a matter of fact all these white whale songs most of'em do nothing at all for me and most of the time they just don't go over well ....

BINGO! They go over well with the 25 people commenting about it here.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061

boyo79 said:

:)) :)) :))

I've read some stupid threads on here but this has to top them all

Alright, I won something!!!!!! Go 'Merica!
    And on a real note I don't see how you can be against my thought.
    I'm against your thought. As well as a lot of others it looks like. Question OP, if a rarity is played in Boston or NY and doesn't get the reaction you think it should, did that city not "deserve" the song? And is the band supposed to know how a crowd will react to every song now?
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i'll tell ya what, the reactions to several songs at wrigley last year were luke warm at best. hold on, all night, setting forth... seemed like the vast majority of people didn't know them. Now i wasn't in the pit, but i was right behind it. I imagine the reaction to strangest tribe there would have been just as mellow.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Beautiful song good for you Oslo, you deserve it.
    Don't understand what the OP was trying to say?
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 749
    Just ran the OP through Google Translate's new 'Adult Baby Entitled Pearl Jam Fan' setting and got the following result:

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022