Melbourne, AU
Palais Theatre
Night Three
Feb 19, 2014

Set List

01. Long Road
02. Immortality
03. Thumbing My Way
(Ed notes that it is the 34th anniversary of the death of AC/DC’s Bon Scott)
04. Gone
05. Can’t Keep
06. Sleeping By Myself
07. More Than You Know
08. Picture In A Frame-(Brennan/Waits)
09. Just Breathe (dedicated to Caroline and Josh as well every same sex couple looking to get married.)
10. No Ceiling
11. Far Behind
12. Guaranteed/Corduroy (After trying to take requests and even reflecting light off of a mirror to pick people out to request songs Ed seems to give up and plays the intro to “Guaranteed” then switches to “Corduroy” and plays the entire song on acoustic guitar)
13. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
14. My City Of Ruins w/ Glen Hansard-(Springsteen)
15. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
16. 4th Of July-(Alvin)
17. Betterman
18. Porch
19. Future Days
20. Forever Young-(Dylan) [dedicated to newly born Hazel]
21. Bugs (played on pump organ)
22. Smile w/ Glen Hansard)
(Ed expresses concern because the venue has a very strict curfew and he has been told if he goes past it the venue could lose the ability to have any more shows. He doesn’t want to leave what he describes as one of the best audiences of the tour)
23. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
24. Hard Sun w/ Glen

Glen Hansard Set List

01. High Hope
02. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting
03. When Your Mind’s Made Up
04. Song Of Good Hope
05. On The Inside (from Aussie soap opera “Prisoner”)
06. Lies
07. Come Away To The Water
08. This Gift
09. Step Out Of The Shadows (sung A cappella)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Wow!.. Wish I could've gone to all 3 shows...

Good to see No Ceiling was played, I know someone that will be stoked it was.. :)
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    and there we have the winner of the OZ setlists so far

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    What an amazing night!

I can't believe that ED read out a part of the letter that I gave him before the show! (When he talks about/mentions INDIA) Thank you for taking out time to read the letter, Eddie! I still can't believe that you read it and mentioned a part of it during the show. I couldn't stop smiling after that. Thank you, Eddie.

Another surprise that Eddie didn't take any breaks! No Encore! He wanted to play as many songs he could possibly in 2 hours because of the curfew. This was the best night out of 3 nights in Melbourne, performance wise :)

Thank You for wonderful memories :)
  • Options
    What a setlist, the best of the Melbourne shows by far! I was very happy to finish up the shows with my best seat at Palais ever! 2nd row!

Loved hearing Smile since it gave me my username years ago. My City of Ruins was also beautiful, I must have a thing for songs he does with Glen.

Only downer was when he was specifically picking people out of the crowd with his mirror to make requests and everyone else wouldn't stop hollering out their own requests, even when specifically told to "let her speak" by Eddie. Not cool people!
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Amazing set!! From beginning to the end the best so far!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    That there is one amazing setlist, beginning to end, holy shit i may be slightly jealous ;) congrats Melbourne :-c
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    LucanLucan Posts: 104
    Amazing set. Can't believe it was only the 24 songs, the frantic way he was running around. Loved him taking the page from Bruce's book and staying on stage rather than ducking off for encores. Makes a 2hr slot so much more fun.

** Anyone get the end of that Matt Cameron story? My wife reminded me on the drive home that he still owes us the rest of that story. EV, don't leave town.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    12 th time been to ED solo all with my son by far the best performance and setlist of all ,a brilliant night .energy,humour and the best damn music/ artist on this planet.Lined up at 11:30 to get one of nine ED signed posters, was third and got one,thank you also to all the other early birds, all great people and added to an absolutely memorable locked in the heart forever show,met ED before the show.WHAT A SETLIST,we were all very lucky people in the house last night. THANKYOU ED

• Options
    pljam said:

12 th time been to ED solo all with my son by far the best performance and setlist of all ,a brilliant night .energy,humour and the best damn music/ artist on this planet.Lined up at 11:30 to get one of nine ED signed posters, was third and got one,thank you also to all the other early birds, all great people and added to an absolutely memorable locked in the heart forever show,met ED before the show.WHAT A SETLIST,we were all very lucky people in the house last night. THANKYOU ED

Do you mind me asking how you got to meet Ed beforehand? I've considerred maybe hanging out after the show to try my luck at a quick hello but this is my first time seeing him live so I have no idea what the best option would be to do it. I assume LOTS of people try to do the same. Any advice would be great. I'm so pleased to hear how great the show was!
    :)
    Seeing Eddie for the first time - 22/2/14
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 111
    Ed really got going after corduroy and the huge reaction the crowd gave him during that performance. My City of Ruins was a highlight. His story telling left a bit to be desired as he fumbled his way through a couple of stories and left us hanging with the Matt Cameron one. His voice was in top form and he and the crowd were in a fun and celebratory mood. Ed absolutely ripped through open all night, Porch and Smile.
    Glen's set was also great and he has loosened up a lot with his interaction with the crowd over the years. together those two are amazing whatever song they are tackling.
    Bummer about the curfew as Ed was eager to keep rolling. He really was the most energetic I have seen him at a solo gig.
    Brisbane enjoy!
    Im not supersticious, Im just a littlesticious.
  • Options
    LucanLucan Posts: 104
    Was rapt when someone called out for Smile. Ed sure looked keen to play it, but you could tell he'd drawn a blank on how to get it started.
    Did Glen know the guitar part, or did he duck outside to have a quick listen and practice. That was my thought on his beanie wearing antics. :)
  • Options
    TimmayTimmay Posts: 20
    Fantastic show! Corduroy was simply amazing. Definitely took the show up a notch after that.
    City of ruins and Smile were the certain stand outs, two brilliant songs sung by Ed and Glen together. Pity about the song request cluster f**k. People yell out shit he just can't play on his own.

Glen played Smile during his Sunday night set, thus he knows the guitar part.

Also, if Ed is going to complain about curfew he ought to come out 1/2 hour earlier. Problem solved.. but I ain't complaining, I see how much he puts into a 2hr set and praise the man for all the energy, passion and emotion his gives us. Ain't a better way to spend 2hrs in life then listening to Ed perform.

• Options
    ^ i was thinking the exact same thing.

Great night, rapt to hear bugs, smile, 4th July to name but a few. Wow the first 4 songs to start were insane. Long Road is certainly my favourite opener ever. I could be mistaken but I didn't think a single song was repeated from the night before?

I was downstairs night 2, upstairs last night, the 2 didnt compare.

Off to Brisbane I go.

Ps to the yeller of Footsteps for the entire night. Did you think on the 175th yell he was going to play it?
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Lucan said:

Was rapt when someone called out for Smile. Ed sure looked keen to play it, but you could tell he'd drawn a blank on how to get it started.
    Did Glen know the guitar part, or did he duck outside to have a quick listen and practice. That was my thought on his beanie wearing antics. :)

Smile is glens favourite Pj song and has been since No code was released in 1996.
    He was at Pj's show in Dublin in 96(loooong before he knew ed) but Smile was not played that night

• Options
    MadceaseMadcease Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    Last night was my wife's first PJ or Ed show and she thought it was fantastic. Really enjoyed Glen Hansard opening he had a funny story about his flight to Australia and the inappropriate pics the attractive blonde next to him had on her phone, will definitely be checking out more of his work.

Ed's set had some nice surprises in it, I can now tick Bugs and Smile off my bucket list of songs to see live (12th PJ/Ed show for me). Loved Ed's comment that it sounded like we were in the waiting room for prostate exams with the morons yelling out dumb stuff, they did seem to crawl back in their boxes a little after that.

I was disappointed missing out on the 10c ballot for the first two shows and missed out through ticketmaster as well but I had good seats last night and am happy that I probably got the best of the 3 shows in the end. Great show as always, now the disappointment sets in that it will probably be a few years before I can get my fix of PJ in this part of the world again :-(
    Post edited by Madcease on
  • Options
    NT251861NT251861 Perth Posts: 40
    edited February 2014
    Madcease said:

Last night was my wife's first PJ or Ed show and she thought it was fantastic. Really enjoyed Glen Hansard opening he had a funny story about his flight to Australia and the inappropriate pics the attractive blonde next to him had on her phone, will definitely be checking out more of his work.

Ed's set had some nice surprises in it, I can now tick Bugs and Smile off my bucket list of songs to see live (12th PJ/Ed show for me). Loved Ed's comment that it sounded like we were in the waiting room for prostrate exams with the morons yelling out dumb stuff, they did seem to crawl back in their boxes a little after that.

I was disappointed missing out on the 10c ballot for the first two shows and missed out through ticketmaster as well but I had good seats last night and am happy that I probably got the best of the 3 shows in the end. Great show as always, now the disappointment sets in that it will probably be a few years before I can get my fix of PJ in this part of the world again :-(

Ahh, the old Eddie/PJ comedown. At least you get so much satisfaction from the show that it eases the pain a little. I was going through it a couple of weeks ago (after the Perth shows), but am managing to get to Bris for two shows this weekend, so on a high again now. Next week will be a different story!

no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead... PJ - Adelaide 98, 09; Perth 03, 06, 09, 14; EV - Perth 11, 14 (2 shows), Brisbane 14 (2 shows)
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    NT251861 said:

Madcease said:

Ed's set had some nice surprises in it, I can now tick Bugs and Smile off my bucket list of songs to see live (12th PJ/Ed show for me). Loved Ed's comment that it sounded like we were in the waiting room for prostrate exams with the morons yelling out dumb stuff, they did seem to crawl back in their boxes a little after that.

Ahh, the old Eddie/PJ comedown. At least you get so much satisfaction from the show that it eases the pain a little. I was going through it a couple of weeks ago (after the Perth shows), but am managing to get to Bris for two shows this weekend, so on a high again now. Next week will be a different story!

I understand how you both feel, NT251861 I did a similar thing, yesterday when the Brisbane tickets were released there were tickets available in Row 10, how could I not go to Brisbane and see Eddie one more time!!! Anyway yesterday afternoon I got my family tickets to see Eddie, booked flights and accommodation and we are all excited, we can't wait for Sunday. I saw Ed twice in Sydney and that wasn't enough :)

Before yesterday my solution was to buy more boots, so I would have new stuff to listen to, the 2013 USA ones have been awesome, I know it's different to Eddie, otherwise watch Water on the Road...a great DVD and keep your fingers crossed Ed will be back very soon.

I will be in the same situation again next week :((
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,999
    Went to all 3. All super mad, but night 3 left me speechless. Ed seemed more focused and upbeat, reeling off the tunes to beat the council curfew.
  • Options
    sloanedogsloanedog Australia Posts: 33
    The fist bump... There's two times in my 36 year life a simple fist bump has mean the world to me. 1st one when my Dad came out out of a massive operation removing a third of stomach to get rid of cancer. I walk into his room hooked up to machines. He Smiles and just gives me a fist bump and says I made it never been so glad to get a fist bump before. The second was a raining Cats n dogs kind of a day Wednesday 19th feb about 5pm. A Van pulls up with four people in it goes behind some gates. A very cool guy jumps out to meet some of his fans who waited for hours just to get a climpse or even a hello. But Eddie does more than that he starts at one end of the fence and chats to every one. Gets to the middle of the fence where my girlfriend Panda and I are standing. All I can say to him is thank you for the last 20 years he turns to me and thank me then gives a fist bump thru the fence. I was completely stoked. Here's a guy who I watched on many occasions pierce my Soul with his music Arc on the Sunday night left me speechless. My father gave me life and gave me everything made me rthe man I am today. Pearl jam and Eddie Vedder have made me live let go and be myself. Like riding a wave of life the good the bad there's a song for every moment of your life. That's a lot of hours of pearl jam. Thru YouTube CDs vinyl concerts. So I guess it was fitting for all I could say was thank you Eddie for 20 years of music.
  • Options
    Was Corduroy the fast or slow version? Thanks!
    Good evening...
  • Options
    simmers33 said:

Was Corduroy the fast or slow version? Thanks!

It was a regular paced version same as the band normally does
  • Options
    jk21jk21 Posts: 5
    edited February 2014
    This was an absolutely fantastic show and a great way to end my run of 5 solos and 3 BDOs - my first time of doing multiple shows. I hadn't even intended to go to that many - Melbourne BDO and the 2 Melbourne shows I saw (2 & 3) were last-minute decisions - I was very lucky to get a late release of tickets after committing to stay on in Melbourne in the hope of being able to attend.

The absolute highlight of this show for me was when Eddie and Glen played Smile. It's my husband's favourite song and when I met Eddie after the 2nd Sydney show I actually asked him if he could possibly play it the following night. I did acknowledge that I didn't think it was one he played solo and he said that yeah, he was sorry, but it is one he can't do solo.

So when a week later Eddie and Glen started playing it at Melbourne 3 (a show I wasn't even meant to be at), I was so surprised and thrilled I may have cried a little! I would like to take some credit for it being played (and I know it gets shouted out at least once each night) but it sounds from the posts above that Glen already knew it so I think the credit goes to Glen :) However it came to be, I was extremely happy to be there that first time it was played at a solo show, and huge thanks to Ed and Glen.

So maybe sometimes unrealistic requests can happen! I was also at the show where Eddie played Immortality for the first time solo (Canberra 2011) and the moment he agreed to play it and needed a reminder of the first line from a fan remains one of my favourite moments in live music.

Hope the Brisbane shows are fantastic too. Enjoy! And I hope Eddie/PJ come back again soon, less than 3 years please!!

Thanks again to Ed and Glen for putting on such amazing shows and their generosity to the fans, and to all the great people I've met along the way.
    Post edited by jk21 on
  • Options
    jarkkonieminenjarkkonieminen Melbourne, Australia Posts: 126
    Second of two nites at the Palais for me and what a nite it was.

Where do I start with highlights. 13 PJ songs, 2 Springsteen songs, Long Road to open, Corduroy, Bugs etc.

I also believe tonite was the first time EV had played Smile solo?

Seriously love Long Road to open any show. I got in in Phoenix last Nov and now Ed solo in Melb.

I just wish people would stop yelling out ridiculous requests. Release, Footsteps, Garden, In My Tree, Nothingman to name a few. Seriously, have a look what EV plays first before yelling out stuff!

Incidentally, I’ve now gone 8 PJ/EV shows without a Binaural song and it’s my favourite album! 
    Pearl Jam
    1995: Melbourne #3
    1998: Melbourne 1,2 & 3
    2003: Sydney #1, Adelaide, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3
    2006: Melbourne #1
    2009: Melbourne
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Charlotte, Phoenix
    2014: Melbourne, Cincinnati, Memphis, Denver
    2016: Hampton, Columbia
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2
    EV
    2011: Brisbane #2
    2014: Melbourne 2 & 3
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    sloanedog said:

The fist bump... There's two times in my 36 year life a simple fist bump has mean the world to me. 1st one when my Dad came out out of a massive operation removing a third of stomach to get rid of cancer. I walk into his room hooked up to machines. He Smiles and just gives me a fist bump and says I made it never been so glad to get a fist bump before. The second was a raining Cats n dogs kind of a day Wednesday 19th feb about 5pm. A Van pulls up with four people in it goes behind some gates. A very cool guy jumps out to meet some of his fans who waited for hours just to get a climpse or even a hello. But Eddie does more than that he starts at one end of the fence and chats to every one. Gets to the middle of the fence where my girlfriend Panda and I are standing. All I can say to him is thank you for the last 20 years he turns to me and thank me then gives a fist bump thru the fence. I was completely stoked. Here's a guy who I watched on many occasions pierce my Soul with his music Arc on the Sunday night left me speechless. My father gave me life and gave me everything made me rthe man I am today. Pearl jam and Eddie Vedder have made me live let go and be myself. Like riding a wave of life the good the bad there's a song for every moment of your life. That's a lot of hours of pearl jam. Thru YouTube CDs vinyl concerts. So I guess it was fitting for all I could say was thank you Eddie for 20 years of music.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the best "1st posts" ever. Nicely done!
  • Options
    What an awesome show. Ed plays 24 songs. He was just as entertaining as the first Melbourne show. And a nice few words about our very own Bon Scott. AC DC lives in all of us.
    Live life to the fulliest and play hard..........
    www.facebook.com/thepassouts
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

sloanedog said:

I'm pretty sure this is one of the best "1st posts" ever. Nicely done!
    Absolutely! Gave me a bit of a tear actually :)
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    sloanedogsloanedog Australia Posts: 33
    Thanks guys, we met a lot of really awesome fans both Sunday and Weds show.
  • Options
    bec775bec775 Posts: 24
    BRILLIANT show! Me & my sis were there.. absolutely LOVE EV and he did not disappoint at all! There is no faults whatsoever with an EV performance.. funny stories, engages the crowd and plays every song with the enthusiasm of it being a new song, rather than in some cases it being the billionth time over the years. He's totally endearing, then rips out vocals that made me cry! First time I've seen him solo ... and I loved every minute! Wish I was one of the peeps though that he pulled onstage in Hard Road finale.. probably lucky I wasn't though, as I would have bawled my eyes out like a tard! BEST NIGHT EVER!!
  • Options
    WhoWho Posts: 34
    What a set list!!!! Bugs! Wow! My City of Ruins,Thumbing My Way, Picture in a Frame, Forever Young. Major, major set list envy.
  • Options
    Alcyone7Alcyone7 Posts: 1
    edited April 2014
    Post edited by Alcyone7 on