Options

'Jeopardy!' to pit humans against IBM machine

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
holy robotics batman!

Dec. 14, 2010, 5:01 AM EST
NEW YORK (AP) -- The game show "Jeopardy!" will pit man versus machine this winter in a competition that will show how successful scientists are in creating a computer that can mimic human intelligence.

Two of the venerable game show's most successful champions — Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter — will play two games against Watson, a computer program developed by IBM's artificial intelligence team. The matches will be spread over three days that will air Feb. 14-16, the game show said on Tuesday.

Bing: Watch 'Jeopardy' clips

The competition is reminiscent of when IBM developed a chess-playing computer to compete against chess champion Garry Kasparov in 1997.

The "Jeopardy!" answer-and-question format is a different kind of challenge. It often requires contestants to deal with subtleties, puns and riddles, and come up with answers fast.

Watson is named for IBM founder Thomas J. Watson. It will look nothing like the robot maid on "The Jetsons." Rather, IBM said its on-screen appearance will be represented by a round avatar.

The computer has already been tested in some 50 games against past "Jeopardy!" champions. But neither IBM nor "Jeopardy!" representatives would say what Watson's record was.

The winner gets a $1 million prize. IBM said it would donate its winnings to charity, while Jennings and Rutter said they would give half of their prize money away.

Jennings had the game show's longest winning streak, taking 74 games in a row during the 2004-2005 season. Rutter has won more money than any other "Jeopardy!" player, nearly $3.3 million during his original appearance and three subsequent tournaments.

IBM is hoping the technology it exhibits will have some practical uses eventually, for instance, helping doctors diagnose illnesses or solving customer problems at technical support centers.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    edited December 2010
    that's effin cool. I wonder if they will actually air any of these shows. My favorite show. Couldnt imagine Jeopardy ever going away
    EDIT, just re-read the post and saw that they are indeed airing the shows. sorry
    Post edited by he.who.forgets on
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    What is pretty sweet, Alex?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    that's effin cool. I wonder if they will actually air any of these shows. My favorite show. Couldnt imagine Jeopardy ever going away

i'm a little curious how they will format these shows
    (love my jeopardy, too)
    i did get sick of ken jennings but how he missed h&r block i will never believe
    i will pull for him against "HAL"

• Options
    love, love LOVE Jeopardy....but I had always thought that Trebek was already a robot or atleast made up of some genetically altered limbs..like the bionic man, you know hes more ripped than Ned Flanders under that suit
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Dave, Dave, that's not the right answer Dave.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    dickweed wrote:
    IBM is hoping the technology it exhibits will have some practical uses eventually, for instance, helping doctors diagnose illnesses or solving customer problems at technical support centers.

will said tech support centers still be based in India? :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Dave, Dave, that's not the right answer Dave.
    :twisted:
    :lol:

• Options
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    love, love LOVE Jeopardy....but I had always thought that Trebek was already a robot or atleast made up of some genetically altered limbs..like the bionic man, you know hes more ripped than Ned Flanders under that suit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2w72KAkQQ
  • Options
    LMFAO :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Arthur Chu is is friggen awesome
  • Options
    yea this dude is on fire. Couldn't believe how easy final was tonight though
  • Options
    Oh shit. Dude's getting beat on the buzzer tonight. Close one going into double jeopardy
  • Options
    And just like that he hits a daily double and doubles his score
  • Options
    Another easy final jeopardy and none of them got it.

Chuuuuuu
  • Options
    i guessed Taylor Swift
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    I would have taken Arthur "all over the board" Chu down last night. I had the final Jeopardy answer. (Of course that's assuming I would have been within striking distance). No matter, the bastards never called me to be on the show after I passed the audition test like 12 yrs ago, so F Alex Trebek.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Chu is back! I feel really old that this got me excited
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

I'm so torn on this guy. He's obviously amazing, and he has a method that just dominates everyone...and that's the whole point of the game.

The problem is; it's just not as fun to watch.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

I'm so torn on this guy. He's obviously amazing, and he has a method that just dominates everyone...and that's the whole point of the game.

The problem is; it's just not as fun to watch.
    I love it, but I know a lot of people that feel the same way you do. They guy isn't going to be on forever and I can go back to getting the questions right more often as people don't skip around the board are back on, so since this is obviously just a temporary thing, I say more power to him and I am just enjoying watching him kick people's ass
  • Options
    it's a non-traditional move
    kind of douchey but very effective