edited May 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Riverside Theater
Perth, AU
Feb 08, 2014 Show 2

Set List

intro music: Tuolumne

01. Walking The Cow-(Daniel Johnston)
02. Picture In A Frame-(Kathleen Brennan/Tom Waits)
(Ed forgets first line. Gets help from audience member)
03. Betterman
04. Wishlist
05. Speed Of Sound (for Luc Longley)
06. Can’t Keep
07. Without You
08. Light Today
09. You’re True
10. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
11. Driftin’ (for Dough Kitchener)
12. Setting Forth
13. Far Behind
14. Guaranteed
15. Rise
16. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
17. Just Breathe
18. 4th Of July-(Alvin)
19. Porch

Encore Break 1

20. After Hours-(Reed)
21. Immortality

(Ed read a story about a musician from Western Australia that got assaulted and his finger broken. He notes that you can donate to help Marc Earley here.)
http://www.gofundme.com/6nhi8w

22. Lukin w/ audience singing chorus
23. Sleepless Nights-(Bryant, Bryant)
24. Society w/ Glen Hansard-(Hannan)
25. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
26. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
27. Hard Sun-(Peterson)

Glen Hansard
Setlist

01. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting
02. Born to Hold You In These Arms
03. Revelate
04. Come Away To The Water
05. This Gift
06. I Saw You (performed by John Barrett. A friend of Glen’s from Dublin who now lives here)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    LOL - love how he dedicated Speed Of Sound for Luc Longley. Talk about a center who definitely got into the NBA at the perfect time in the perfect situation playing with Jordan. How many championships did he win because of it?

Seeing these solo sets and the PJ sets from Australia is giving me the PJ itch again. Love the posters as well. Please start getting some dates lined up in the U.S. after the Europe tour!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    garbsgarbs Posts: 46
    So now we know why there are no Adelaide shows this time round. You guys better stop serial killing everyone!

Anyway absolutely awesome show by both EV and Glen Hansard. I even brought a friend to his first ever EV/PJ experience too.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Another great show :)...Immortality, Society and Picture in a Frame were all highlights for me.

Ed got stuck with the lyrics to "Picture in a Frame"...I know the lyrics, felt like calling out the first few words to Ed, but didn't know if I should have. Luckily somebody else helped him remember, it's a beautiful song.

Ed seemed to struggle a little bit with the lyrics to some songs tonight, more-so than the first night.

There were loads of people constantly yelling out stupid comments and interrupting Ed. it got quite annoying at times. The audience seemed pretty reluctant to stand up too until Eddie said to, and even then some people were still sitting for RITFW!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    That was freaking amazing what a night. I only got tickets for this last Thursday night when they put out a late sale (not sure but I think they were unused promotional/10C tickets). I originally couldn't afford tickets when they first went on sale a week before Xmas and when I could afford them they had sold out but thankfully a friend informed me of the late sale and I snapped up 2 tickets for some very good seats.
    Missed the first song from Glen Hansard as I had to line up for some merchandise but he was very good and very entertaining and as a extra bonus we got his mate down from the audience to perform a song too (both of these guys have some serious talent).
    Eddie came on a little earlier than expected and that must of caught some people by surprise as there were a few latecomers. He started off a little scratchy forgetting the opening of Picture in a Frame but finished it beautifully then went into quite a different sounding version of Betterman. Ed was handing out beers to a few audience members and remarked how his stubby holder must be magic as it kept getting a fresh beer in it everytime he passed one off.
    Ed was his usual witty self and it always amazes me how he takes time to relate to his audience with some local knowledge. Apart from an emergency manicure the rest of the set was impeccable with my personal standouts being Speed of Sound which he played as an apology to Luc Longley though for what he didn't say, Hide Your Love Away with a little help on the chorus from the audience, Rise on the mandolin after insulting the instrument, Just Breathe because Ed's voice is superb on this song and Porch which is very cool stripped down.
    After the first encore Ed returned with a cover that I have never heard before then the best version of Immortality I have ever heard and I love this song anyway. Then we got Lukin with the audience singing the chorus though it sounded like not many knew it. After that Glen Hansard joined Ed for 3 songs starting with an un-amplified version of Sleepless Nights then a very nice version of Society which is probably my favourite EV solo song and then the highlight of my night. Falling Slowly which is one of Glens songs had Ed minus an instrument apart from his incredible voice with Glen accompanying on vocals and guitar, these two complement each other immensely and I would love to hear more collaborations from them I had goosebumbs during this song it will go down as one of my best live experiences ever.
    The night finished with the crowd on their feet clapping and singing along for RITFW and Hard Sun - no joke my hands are sore from the clapping tonight (providing percussion and applauding).
    The crowd was fairly well behaved apart from the few douche bags yelling out occasionally and a surprising amount were women including one near me who yelled out "Just Breathe" a few times (until he played it that is) even Ed commented as to how it's usually the blokes who are the vocal ones but tonight it was the girls. I for one am glad that people didn't feel the need to stand up till the last 2 songs as it was a fairly mature audience and it was nice to sit there and absorb the music in a relaxed manner and not have to look through a sea of arms and listen to the people around you singing loudly and usually badly. Don't get me wrong this is fine in an arena watching PJ but this was a small theater with a more intimate feel. This was also my first time to the venue and I was impressed both by the sound and the seating.
    All in all a fantastic night and can't wait to see Eddie again (hopefully in a not too distant PJ tour). The only things I would have liked to have seen was maybe something from Lightning Bolt and preferably the title track as that would be wicked in Ed's stripped down solo way but even Sirens or Future Days would've been cool though I am thankful Sleeping By Myself didn't get a look in (sorry I just don't like this song that much). Also would have liked to have seen Arc performed as I was telling my mate who came with me about it and how powerful Eds voice is on this song. Anyway far from disappointed and tonight was certainly a highlight in regards to live performances I have seen. Thanks Ed and Glen.
  • Options
    CrazyboutevCrazyboutev Burns Beach WA Posts: 45
    Last night was amazing. Always love it when Ed is in a chatty mood. Such a great venue for this type of show. I got to say though I do hope Ed realises that most fans, although we want to yell out and have our own conversation and beer with Ed, remain respectful silent. This does not mean we are less excited about what we are seeing its just that we do not want to upset our idol and the moment. I find it disappointing when one starts heckling and then the others just have to join in.

I enjoyed the many laughs and the 'magic' stubby holder and lets just say I wont be visiting Adelaide any time soon.
    Tickets were ok about half way back in lower area and I cant really complain as in 2011 I had front row.
    I woke up this morning humming 'wishlist'. Porch was AWESOME and immortality was an unexpected pleasant surprise. Glen and Ed sing beautifully together.

Id LOVE to see all of Pearl Jam in this more relaxed and intimate settings - maybe 'Im just getting old.

and because I didn't want to yell it out last night I'll say it now ' We love you Ed and thank you for being you!"

• Options
    BugcatcherBugcatcher Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    Absolutely amazing gig again as always and well worth every cent.

I do have a couple of gripes though. As a long time 10C member I can only question the method of how seats had been drawn out. 3 of the 4 gigs I have had 10C tickets but ended up with very ordinary seating. Last night I spoke to a few other 10C members and queried where there seat were and how long they had been members for. A couple had only joined a couple of years ago yet managed seats centre stage less than 10 rows back while I was out towards the side further back again.

A friend who is a longer time member and been to the same gigs as me has been in nearly identical positions for all three gigs he has 10C tickets. His surname starts with an 'A' mine a 'S'.

They also added an extra row at the front then got the very back row to move to the very front. WTF is with that???

Don't get me wrong, I loved being there and would not miss it for the world and felt honoured to share the night but when randoms and new members get to experience it a lot closer the only thing that comes to mind is frustration!!!
  • Options
    POF13POF13 Posts: 4
    Awesome show last night - was in the second row with my wife (thanks 10C !) and got one of Eddie's beers via Glen Hansard (the bottle is going straight to the pool room !). My personal highlights were Better Man and Falling Slowly (have seen them duet this song a couple of times in the US).
    Agree with the comments about the crowd above - the "Play more Pearl Jam songs !" shout out was cringe worthy and I thought Eddie took the appropriate amount of piss out of those that deserved it.
    An unforgettable night and looking forward to seeing PJ (hopefully) play the Perth Arena some time
  • Options
    newcnewc Western Australia Posts: 12
    A truly fantastic performance !
    Immortality wow wow wow!!!

Took my nine year old boy to his ever first gig....Ed you didn't disappoint !!
    Ed spotted him during hard sun , and gave him a smile , wink and quick salute.

The hecklers he had under control, the beers, broken nails and forgotten lines......no problem for me, that's the beauty of an intimate gig, and proves the man is human after all.... Well almost

Cheers for playing Perth
  • Options
    I was going to post but everyone has said it so well. And I couldn't say it any better than crazyboutev... Well said. Awesome show. Sad it is all over for a while now for me. Hopeful for an arena show soon!
    Thanks ed!
  • Options
    VarisVaris Posts: 38
    What was the poster like for night 2?
  • Options
    stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    edited February 2014
    Went to both nights and I thought that night one was better, but Immortality was AMAZING!!!!! I nearly cried when he played Driftin' again - I wanted to yell out 'thank you Eddie!!" but didn't want to be one of the dicks that kept yelling all night, so I held my tongue.

But I'll say it here now - THANK YOU EDDIE! You played an amazing two nights, and like someone else said: I hope you don't take the fact that most people were sitting as anything other than what it was - respect! i stood a few times, but honestly it was so nice to sit and listen and sing quietly and then get really into it every now and then. I was in awe of you up on stage and was mesmerized. I just wanted to stay there all night, and left saying how I wanted to come back again the next night and the next....except there was no more shows here. :(

I second the thought that it would be amazing to see the whole band like that - my husband and I have never been to a show together (until these), but having met here on the boards there is no doubt how big fans we are. I'm 38 now and have loved Pearl Jam since I was 16 - and Eddie you didn't disappoint. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Come back soon, we miss you so very much when you aren't here.
    (Feel free to play Minneapolis around Thanksgiving as well, cause we'll be there visiting my husbands' family! ;) )

Oh, and can I say my Ten Club tix had me smack bang in the middle lower section, right in front of Eddie - row B which was about 10 rows in. And they were fantastic!!! My husbands were night quite as great, over on the very side at Row D. We went with friends so weren't sitting together night two - night one we had been sat Row G, which was pretty great too. No complaints here, I don't think there were any bad seats.
    Post edited by stardust1976 on
  • Options
    MH236723MH236723 Sydney Posts: 5
    Kat said:

01. Walking The Cow-(Daniel Johnston)
    02. Picture In A Frame-(Kathleen Brennan/Tom Waits)
    /blockquote>
    Brilliant opening :)

• Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Like so many of us here, I attended both nights in Perth and concur with the beautiful fan reviews I have already read here. I would only like to add that Ed's arrangement of Betterman on night 2 was heart-wrenchingly beautiful and had me in heaving sobs. I work with family and domestic violence survivors - currently with women, and previously with children and teens. What a beautiful testament to resilience, to the kaleidoscope of ways that women, children and young people living with violence resist violence - if only in their minds at times. I had never heard Betterman in quite that way before. Ed's performance allowed me to discover something new in that tune. Thankyou Mr Vedder for this, and for making it possible to see you perform with both Pearl Jam and with Glenn Hansard in my hometown - in the matter of a week! What a beautifully intense week. Thankyou! M x
  • Options
    NT251861NT251861 Perth Posts: 40
    I too attended both shows and oh boy, was I rewarded in spades. I am on a bit of an Eddie/PJ comedown after my Eddie Appreciation Week (3 shows in 7 days). I attended the first show with a girlfriend and had decent seats in the upper section, pretty central. The second night there were four of us (same girlfriend, her hubby and my sister) and our seats were again in the upper level but to the far left. Would have loved being closer but I don't think there is a bad seat in that theatre. After the first night I thought to chuck a pair of binoculars in my bag anyway so grabbed a few close up looks through those!

I haven't seen it mentioned here but Ed came on early on the Saturday night (around 8:30pm) instead of the scheduled 9pm. He came out and jumped around a bit so think he was pumped and ready to go hence the early start. However this caught the people drinking in the lobby off guard so for the first song or two there were still loads of people finding their seats. It's a shame those latecomers also missed Glen Hansard - as mentioned by others, he was quite amazing. He played a different set both nights and his voice is just angelic. Great support.

The people constantly yelling out was awfully embarrassing but Ed handled it splendidly! Ignored when appropriate and came up with a few witty comebacks too. His banter in between songs was fun, love when he is chatty.

I had a girl behind me who kept making comments loudly about how much she loved Ed (as we all do, but we don't need to repeat it 5 million times during the night) and some rather low brow comments about what she'd like to do to him. She also had an particularly annoying habit of screaming "woo, Glen" every time he joined Ed on stage, a funny thing to yell considering she didn't even turn up to see Glen's set!

Another daft screamer around me kept requesting "play Into The Wild", no particular song, just into the wild!

Loved the story he told Glen about the window washer in the London, Ontario hotel. I think Glen was wondering where the story was going, but as usual the punch line was delivered beautifully to raucous applause by the audience.

Does anyone remember what his retort to the person who yelled out something about the shark cull, I remember chortling away but can't remember what he said!

Music wise, loves the set list. A couple of songs I hoped to hear turned up. Would have loved to hear Off He Goes, but was treated to that in 2011.Highlights for me were Immortality, Sleepless nights (w/ Glen Hansard) and Guaranteed. Also, loved his rendition of Willie Nelson doing Just Breathe. I watched Willie Nelson's version on You Tube this morning and he was spot on! Made me smile!

Also, haven't seen it mentioned here, but he chose not to take a break between the first encore and Hard Sun as he had the night before. Definitely not planned as he had all his lab coat people scrambling wildly to set up the stage and Glen came running out. My guess is he wanted to keep the momentum going that he created during RITFW.

Overall, one of the best weeks of my life. Can't wait until Ed tours again, both by himself and with PJ. Will have to make sure I get 10C tickets next time to get away from all the bogans in the upper tier!

Cheers Ed and cheers to you all!
    no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead... PJ - Adelaide 98, 09; Perth 03, 06, 09, 14; EV - Perth 11, 14 (2 shows), Brisbane 14 (2 shows)
  • Options
    ^ Ed said something like 'why are they worried about sharks when Adelaide is crawling with serial killers?'
  • Options
    NT251861NT251861 Perth Posts: 40
    oh, that's right! thanks moretonbayfig! Was funny!
    no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead... PJ - Adelaide 98, 09; Perth 03, 06, 09, 14; EV - Perth 11, 14 (2 shows), Brisbane 14 (2 shows)
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Luc Longley.....flashback to the Bulls' golden years ^:)^
  • Options
    jjflash said:

Luc Longley.....flashback to the Bulls' golden years ^:)^

Yes, we Perth peeps can't claim much, but we can claim Luc Longley, Heath Ledger, Sam Worthington, excellent weather and beautiful beaches and surf breaks

:D
  • Options
    I was simply amazed by tonight, it was spine tingling! I was in the nose bleed section in 2011 Melbourne but I got 10C tix this time and was stoked to be in the 5th row. HIghlights off the top of my head were Wishlist, Rise, IMMORTALITY!!!! and the songs that Glen came out for. I'm a big fan of him also and became quite emotional when they sang Falling Slowly so heavenly. I was disappointed Glen didn't do a longer set himself, but oh well, it was a bonus just to see him as well. I thought Ed handled the few yobbos really well, and they did eventually shut up thank goodness. When Ed and Glen came out to the front of the stage for sleepless nights and everyone started saying "ssssshhhhhhh", it made me laugh and I was praying that everyone would just shut up and listen. Thank god they didn't spoil the moment, as it was truly sublime. Ed cracked everyone up as always, and it was hilarious watching him do Willie Nelson's version of Just Breathe. A night I'll never forget. Peace, Eden
    "In fact, punk rock means exemplary manners to your fellow human being. Fuck being an arsehole" - Joe Strummer.

Instagram: pipingroller
    Facebook: Eden Sandwell
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about the Willie Nelson impression - that was awesome and spot on. I love Willies version of Just Breathe too.
  • Options
    ridleyridley Posts: 163
    edited February 2014
    Enjoying reading all these fanviews given there aren't bootlegs of EV shows.

Last night at the SOH Glen talked about cutting his set short and starting early in Perth - it was so they could rush off to catch the end of the Bruce Springsteen show!

Glen said they only got there for the last song but 'got the cream' of the atmosphere that he must have built up over the course of the show. He then proceeded to do a great Bruce impersonation :)
    Post edited by ridley on
    2003-02-19 Melbourne
    2003-02-20 Melbourne
    2006-11-13 Melbourne
    2006-11-14 Melbourne
    2006-11-16 Melbourne
    2009-11-22 Sydney
    2011-03-18 Sydney
    2011-03-19 Sydney
  • Options
    VarisVaris Posts: 38
    I did EV on the Friday and was at the Brucie Sat show you are talking about there Brad - it was honestly the best concert I've ever been to. I think it's available online - it's a real buzz.