Night Three
Feb 25, 2014

Set List

Intro Music: Waving Palms

01. Can’t Keep
02. Sleeping By Myself
03. Without You
04. More Than You Know
05. Speed Of Sound (Dedicated to Mark Richards)
06. Dead Man
07. Sometimes
(Ed praises the genius idea a girl scout had setting up outside a marijuana dispensary in Colorado)
08. Driftin’
09. Setting Forth
10. No Ceiling
11. Far Behind
12. Guaranteed
13. Rise
14. Long Nights (For Tomas Young)
15. Masters Of War-(Dylan)
16. Betterman
17. Just Breathe
18. 4th Of July-(Alvin)
19. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
20. Porch
21 Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant) [busk]
(Ed plays a drinking game involving dropping a 50 cent piece into a glass. He invites and audience member named Daniel Olsen on stage to try it as well. Daniel misses the glass but gets a beer anyway)
22. Falling Slowly w/ Glen Hansard-(Hansard, Irglová)
23. Drive All Night w/ Glen Hansard & Jake Clemons-(Springsteen) {Ed pump organ and bg vocals, Glen Hansard-acoustic guitar and vocals, Jake Clemons-saxophone}
24. Open All Night-(Springsteen)
25. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard-(Peterson)
26. Rockin’ In The Free World w/ Glen Hansard, Jake Clemons and Tom Morello-(Young)
27. Dream A Little Dream Of Me-(Kahn, Andre, Schwandt)

Glen Hansard Set List

01. Leave/Love, Reign O’re Me-(Townshend)
02. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting/Respect-(Redding)
03. When Your MInd’s Made UP
04. Step Out Shadows
05. Come Away To The Water (Glen brings a woman from the audience on stage to sing with him.)
06. Lay Me Down
07. Song Of Good Hope
08. This Gift

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    The end of that show must have been intense
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I do recall saying leave it all behind, and look forward to the next tour...
  • Options
    I'll ride the waveI'll ride the wave Brisbane Posts: 5
    edited February 2014
    Holy shit, I just got back after the show Scored a signed poster and gave Ed a big hug and all I could say was 'Thankyou'. amazing show, and what a kind, gentle and lovely soul he is. After 20 years of going to shows, all i ever wanted was just to see him up close.
    Bucket list #1- check!
    Post edited by I'll ride the wave on
  • Options
    VarisVaris Posts: 38

Holy shit, I just got back after waiting till 3am...gave Ed a big hug...all i ever wanted was just to see him up close.

Yep. Not creepy at all. 3am? Really? Wow.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I mean, for sure I'm glad you loved the show, and I know that they are all kind of awesome, I just don't get the waiting back afterwards to get just that last little piece of the performer is all. I say let the man rest - he gave everything you could have asked for and more. Let him skinny dip in the hotel room at 3am in peace if he feels the need!

Sorry - I wasn't trying to be a dick or minimise your experience.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Varis said:

I mean, for sure I'm glad you loved the show, and I know that they are all kind of awesome, I just don't get the waiting back afterwards to get just that last little piece of the performer is all. I say let the man rest - he gave everything you could have asked for and more. Let him skinny dip in the hotel room at 3am in peace if he feels the need!

Sorry - I wasn't trying to be a dick or minimise your experience.

• Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Passion is passion,if a fan wants to wait until 3am so be it, it's all part of the journey,it's effect ED /PJ have on die hard fans.Well done and congratulations on meeting the great man.
    What I don't get is how people have forgotten how to be respectful and simply happy for another's experience .We all share this bands music,maybe some opinion 's are better left unsaid.Happy for you,DEVOTED ,that's cool !
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777

Holy shit, I just got back after waiting till 3am. Scored a signed poster and gave Ed a big hug and all I could say was 'Thankyou'. amazing show, and what a kind, gentle and lovely soul he is. After 20 years of going to shows, all i ever wanted was just to see him up close.
    Bucket list #1- check!

Awesome, its so exciting. I bet you still haven't slept!!!!!!!!!! From all the excitement. Sounds like another awesome show, so sad he is leaving Australia :(( But until next time...we have so many great memories of Ed & PJ :)
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Amazing show, aside from the tools that needed to make their presence known to Eddie.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,008

Holy shit, I just got back after waiting till 3am. Scored a signed poster and gave Ed a big hug and all I could say was 'Thankyou'. amazing show, and what a kind, gentle and lovely soul he is. After 20 years of going to shows, all i ever wanted was just to see him up close.
    Bucket list #1- check!

Well done so happy for you!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    It was an amazing night. I was up in the rafters after having been in rows 3 & 5 the previous nights through ten club tickets.The sound was great up there too. I thought the first ten or so songs sounded absolutely unreal-some even better than the studio versions. He nailed them.

So stoked that he mentioned those who have travelled from far including South Africa obviously in response to a song request I had posted a few days ago.

Amazing, amazing shows and I feel truly blessed and fulfilled for having made the trip.

Thanks again Ed!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    BTW my favourite song of the night......speed of sound....
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    I would love to see "Drive All Night" live! Amazing.
    But all things change, let this remain ...
  • Options
    pljam said:

Passion is passion,if a fan wants to wait until 3am so be it, it's all part of the journey,it's effect ED /PJ have on die hard fans.Well done and congratulations on meeting the great man.
    What I don't get is how people have forgotten how to be respectful and simply happy for another's experience .We all share this bands music,maybe some opinion 's are better left unsaid.Happy for you,DEVOTED ,that's cool !

Yeah....but there's passion and then there's being a bit rapey, you know what I mean?

And heaven forbid if anyone was to actually voice an opinion on the forum! For sure we should all just respect each other's stalker-tendencies and be quiet about it. I'm very happy the OP had a great night out, the show that I saw was amazing and excellent. I don't disrespect that at all. On the other hand I can't respect hanging about for hours after a show just to touch a performer or save a piece of their sweat in a jar. But for sure I'll shut up about it now.

• Options
    I'll ride the waveI'll ride the wave Brisbane Posts: 5
    Jeebers, rapey? Are you fkin serious! We were at the VENUE, not his hotel. When someone has had a great impact on my life, I'd like to say thank you. One of the best nights of my life and you are painting me our to be some kind of stalker? I've been listening to these guys for 20 years and never met him.
    If he didn't want to see any fans , there are 5 or 6 other exits they could have left through. Just wanted to meet the guy, not gonna follow him around town!
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    edited February 2014
    I was in the crowd of people waiting for Ed outside the venue last night but couldn't hang around .. there was nothing stalkerish about anyone there.. just a bunch of fans hoping for a meet and greet, that's all. It was Eddie's last show so a few wanted to thank him and say goodbye.

Last night was a great night.. I was very lucky to get fourth row seats last week through the venue and what a treat that was. I would have preferred less Ukulele songs and more guitar and PJ .. oh well. Towards the end of the night he was asking for requests and I was too scared to say anything, dammit.

Drive All Night with Ed singing and playing the organ, Glen on the guitar and Jake Clemons on saxophone was just beautiful.

Post edited by E.K on
  • Options
    !
    Yeah....but there's passion and then there's being a bit rapey, you know what I mean?

And heaven forbid if anyone was to actually voice an opinion on the forum! For sure we should all just respect each other's stalker-tendencies and be quiet about it. I'm very happy the OP had a great night out, the show that I saw was amazing and excellent. I don't disrespect that at all. On the other hand I can't respect hanging about for hours after a show just to touch a performer or save a piece of their sweat in a jar. But for sure I'll shut up about it now.

You're new here aren't you?
    Adelaide 7/3/98, Adelaide 16/02/03, Melbourne 18-19/02/03, Brisbane 10-11/11/06, Adelaide 21-22/11/06, Adelaide 17/11/06, Sydney 22/11/06, Brisbane 25/11/06, EV- Adelaide 27-28/03/11...
  • Options
    WhoWho Posts: 34
    edited February 2014

Holy shit, I just got back after the show Scored a signed poster and gave Ed a big hug and all I could say was 'Thankyou'. amazing show, and what a kind, gentle and lovely soul he is. After 20 years of going to shows, all i ever wanted was just to see him up close.
    Bucket list #1- check!

Really happy for you - after 26 shows it's awesome you got to meet the man that represents why you went to all those shows!

I get why some people may not get the importance of meeting the band or Ed. For them maybe the music/shows are enough.

For others It's about being in the close presence of someone that represents something that has had such a huge impact on your life. It's about having a brief moment of connecting one-on-one with that person, in real time. It's about getting the chance to thank them. It's about trying to show them that we're willing to wait three hours (and much more) just for this opportunity.

And for as long as Ed comes out and thanks us for waiting to meet him, I'll be there.

Post edited by Who on
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Last night was incredible!

Before the show started I was waiting on the ground floor of QPAC and I saw Tom Morello just walk in and go to the restroom. Only a couple of people seemed to notice him and when he was walking back these other people asked for a photo and he asked them to step outside for the photo, then he was off.

When I was waiting for the doors to open, then I saw Mark Richards too (and walked by him at the airport this morning too). He went up to one of the young guys at the door and was told they wouldn't be opening the doors for another 5 minutes. So even Eddie's mate wasn't let in! During the concert I saw Tom Morello go and sit next to Mark, they were in 7th row I think. I thought they would be in the front row for sure.

Drive All Night and RITFW were the highlights for me, felt very lucky to have been there :).

I was in row I and had a great view. There were a few song requesters #-o in the rows around me, yelling stuff out at Ed. The guy who requested "Just Breathe" was in the row behind me...when he kept on calling out he got a warning from Eddie's guard, who told him one more time and he'd be out. Ed honoured the request though. The guy who called out a song request for his brother was a few rows ahead of me and the look Eddie gave him was pretty priceless. There was a couple in front of me who were filming a lot of the songs on their iphones...they didn't get caught by security, but it was a bit annoying, because it was for quite a few songs.

I also waited for hours after the gig to meet Eddie (was hoping to get one of my ukuleles signed), but I felt a bit silly for having waited that long and went back to the hotel because I had a flight to catch today. From what I read though, apparently Ed was out a short time later.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Another great show. How good was betterman and ritfw
  • Options
    loffy81loffy81 Posts: 153
    What a great way to end an awesome run of Pearl Jam and Eddie shows, all I can say is thank you. As always had an amazing time meeting other fans, local and from overseas. Your all legends and hope to see you all again next time.

And to the guy who stopped and gave my mates daughter 2 Eddie Batgirl picks last night as she played her guitar waiting to meet Eddie (unfortunately we had to leave before he came out) you sir are what makes Pearl Jam fans the best. Thanks, you made her first show even better.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    -Emma- said:

Last night was incredible!

Before the show started I was waiting on the ground floor of QPAC and I saw Tom Morello just walk in and go to the restroom. Only a couple of people seemed to notice him and when he was walking back these other people asked for a photo and he asked them to step outside for the photo, then he was off.

When I was waiting for the doors to open, then I saw Mark Richards too (and walked by him at the airport this morning too). He went up to one of the young guys at the door and was told they wouldn't be opening the doors for another 5 minutes. So even Eddie's mate wasn't let in! During the concert I saw Tom Morello go and sit next to Mark, they were in 7th row I think. I thought they would be in the front row for sure.

Drive All Night and RITFW were the highlights for me, felt very lucky to have been there :).

I was in row I and had a great view. There were a few song requesters #-o in the rows around me, yelling stuff out at Ed. The guy who requested "Just Breathe" was in the row behind me...when he kept on calling out he got a warning from Eddie's guard, who told him one more time and he'd be out. Ed honoured the request though. The guy who called out a song request for his brother was a few rows ahead of me and the look Eddie gave him was pretty priceless. There was a couple in front of me who were filming a lot of the songs on their iphones...they didn't get caught by security, but it was a bit annoying, because it was for quite a few songs.

I also waited for hours after the gig to meet Eddie (was hoping to get one of my ukuleles signed), but I felt a bit silly for having waited that long and went back to the hotel because I had a flight to catch today. From what I read though, apparently Ed was out a short time later.

Emma,
    I was the guy who got a pic with Tom!! Was super nice, but obviously did not want to be noticed too much. Probably didn't want people guessing what may be coming up. I first saw hi walk across the path and I saved and he said hello. When he came back out I though I might as well ask for a pic.
    I too hung around after to get a glimpse and he came out around 3. There was nothing Stalkerish about it. His security guard came out with Ed and explained that he would just be saying hello and asked everyone to stay where they were and Ed would walk around and say hi. He had obviously been partying after the show but was paid each person individual attention and genuinely said hello. A friend mentioned it as my birthday and he was generous enough to wish me a happy birthday and give me a pick. No-one there was pushy and he was back in the van with Glen, Mark Richards and a few others after 10 minutes
    Having never really met anyone before, it was surreal meeting Tom and my musical hero, Ed, in the same night. A great way to end the tour for me and cannot believe how lucky I was to see all 3 Brisbane shows.
    Highlights of this show for me were Masters of War, Drive All Night ( stunning!) Open All Night and the Epic RITFW with Tom, Jake and Glen.

I must add the Glen Hansard is an out and out legend. This guy is such a great performer, who interacts with the audience with ease and sings beautifully. I will be going to see him live whenever he tours next. I have had his music for a number of years, but his live performance in another level.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    loffy81loffy81 Posts: 153

I must add the Glen Hansard is an out and out legend. This guy is such a great performer, who interacts with the audience with ease and sings beautifully. I will be going to see him live whenever he tours next. I have had his music for a number of years, but his live performance in another level.

How good was respect, great interaction as you said. And the grave yard story was a crack up, would love to see him next month on his own tour but can't afford to travel to see him, anyone heard of any shows close to brisbane
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    loffy81 said:

What a great way to end an awesome run of Pearl Jam and Eddie shows, all I can say is thank you. As always had an amazing time meeting other fans, local and from overseas. Your all legends and hope to see you all again next time.

And to the guy who stopped and gave my mates daughter 2 Eddie Batgirl picks last night as she played her guitar waiting to meet Eddie (unfortunately we had to leave before he came out) you sir are what makes Pearl Jam fans the best. Thanks, you made her first show even better.

It was certainly great meeting you and your mates. I am glad that some picks were given to your mates daughter. I know that we were sure looking hard to find one for her. If you make it to the states for any shows, look me up. I'd love to return some of the hospitality that the Brisbane fans have shown me.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Varis said:

pljam said:

If Ed didn't want to meet fans he wouldn't. He'd get straight into his van and drive off...

You're opinion is welcome, just someone had a great time and nothing 'rapey' about it...

Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    No Coder said:

Emma,
    I was the guy who got a pic with Tom!! Was super nice, but obviously did not want to be noticed too much. Probably didn't want people guessing what may be coming up. I first saw hi walk across the path and I saved and he said hello. When he came back out I though I might as well ask for a pic.
    I too hung around after to get a glimpse and he came out around 3. There was nothing Stalkerish about it. His security guard came out with Ed and explained that he would just be saying hello and asked everyone to stay where they were and Ed would walk around and say hi. He had obviously been partying after the show but was paid each person individual attention and genuinely said hello. A friend mentioned it as my birthday and he was generous enough to wish me a happy birthday and give me a pick. No-one there was pushy and he was back in the van with Glen, Mark Richards and a few others after 10 minutes
    Having never really met anyone before, it was surreal meeting Tom and my musical hero, Ed, in the same night. A great way to end the tour for me and cannot believe how lucky I was to see all 3 Brisbane shows.
    Highlights of this show for me were Masters of War, Drive All Night ( stunning!) Open All Night and the Epic RITFW with Tom, Jake and Glen.

I was waiting right near you by the loading dock :) . I'm glad you got to meet Ed :).

Glen is playing at the Opera House on March 17th (St Patrick's Day) and March 20th if you're willing to travel. I'm going to the St Patrick's Day show and there are still tickets available for both nights.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

• Options
    pjfan31 said:

If Ed didn't want to meet fans he wouldn't. He'd get straight into his van and drive off...

You're opinion is welcome, just someone had a great time and nothing 'rapey' about it...

3am? It is just a teeny bit rapey. Just a smidge

Us PJ fans haven't exactly got the best rep with this sort of stuff. The dude who yelled out to Ed at Melbourne night 3 saying something along the lines of "You could have any woman in this room Ed, including my wife" was fairly cringe-inducing. It comes across loud and clear on the... nevermind.

Anyways, I'm out. Whatever floats your boat and all that. These shows were awesome and the last thing I want to do is bring anyone down. Ed was excellent as ever and Glen Hansard was a perfect foil. Glad I got to experience it.
  • Options
    Varis said:

pjfan31 said:

3am? It is just a teeny bit rapey. Just a smidge

Us PJ fans haven't exactly got the best rep with this sort of stuff. The dude who yelled out to Ed at Melbourne night 3 saying something along the lines of "You could have any woman in this room Ed, including my wife" was fairly cringe-inducing. It comes across loud and clear on the... nevermind.

Anyways, I'm out. Whatever floats your boat and all that. These shows were awesome and the last thing I want to do is bring anyone down. Ed was excellent as ever and Glen Hansard was a perfect foil. Glad I got to experience it.
    You're only going to get people's backs up by likening a fan waiting for hours outside of a venue to meet a musician to something as terrible as rape.

If you had just said "that isn't for me, I would never do that" then that is fine, but please don't compare it to rape.

I did feel silly for waiting for so long and that is why I left and headed back to the hotel. I wasn't being a stalker, I was just hoping to get my ukulele autographed, that was all.

During the concerts, Glen spoke about staying at Fortitude Valley and when he was talking about the hotel not having many rooms, etc, an audience member called out the name of the hotel. Glen said that they had people waiting for them, so they escaped and went to Noosa. Going to somebody's hotel is very intrusive and I would never do that. Waiting outside after a concert is different though, because Eddie could easily be driven out without having to interact with fans.

• Options
    What a great show. I thought the crowd was much better than Sunday - not as many people shouting out between songs (until the end). Ed seemed in great spirits and told some pretty funny stories as well as doing the 50c trick into the glass! Loved Speed of Sound, Masters of War, Dead Man, and of course RITFW with Morello and Clemons.
    "this is such a happening tail-pipe of a party"

Adelaide 98; Adelaide 03; Melbourne 03 #2; Brisbane 06 #2; Adelaide 06 #1 & #2; Perth 06; Adelaide 09; Melbourne 09; Gold Coast BDO 14; Adelaide BDO 14
    EV Aus 2011: Adelaide #1 & #2; Canberra
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    -Emma- said:

No Coder said:

Emma,

I was waiting right near you by the loading dock :) . I'm glad you got to meet Ed :).

Glen is playing at the Opera House on March 17th (St Patrick's Day) and March 20th if you're willing to travel. I'm going to the St Patrick's Day show and there are still tickets available for both nights.
    Unfortunately Ed has exhausted all of my funds for quite some time. - they will be fantastic gigs though!! Patty's day will be Stellar

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014