Feb 13, 2014

Set List

intro music:Tuolumne

01. Girl From The North Country-(Dylan)
02. Picture In A Frame-(Brennan/Waits)
03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
04. Dead Man
05. Can’t Keep
(Ed posits that playing the ukulele can make you a better person.)
06. Sleeping By Myself
07. Light Today
08. Without You
09. Tonight You Belong To Me w/ Eliza-Jane Barnes-(Rose, David)
10. Golden State w/ Eliza-Jane Barnes-(J. Doe)
11. Driftin’
12. Far Behind
13. Guaranteed
14. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard
(Ed says that he and his daughters built a Sydney Opera House Lego set.)
15. Rise
16. Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)
(Ed said he was told about the band The Easybeats being the first rock band to play the Opera House and that an early version of AC/DC opened for them. He then plays a tiny bit of “You Shook Me All Night Long”)
17. Betterman
18. Good Woman-(Marshall)
19. 4th Of July-(Alvin)
20. Porch

Encore Break 1

21. Growin' Up-(Springsteen)
22. Just Breathe
23 Blackbird-(Lennon, McCartney)
24. I Believe In Miracles-(Ramone, Rey)
25. Bugs-(pump organ)
26. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard-(Bryant, Bryant)
27. Society w/ Glen-(Hannan)
28. Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová)
29. Lukin
30. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Encore Break 2

31. Ukulele Anthem (A. Palmer)
32. Hard Sun w/ EJ Barnes, Cecilia Herbert, Glen Hansard-(Peterson)

Glen Hansard Set List

01. Finally
02. Love, Don’t Leave Me Waiting
03. When Your Mind’s Made Up
04. Step Out Of The Shadows (played on piano)
05. Revelate
06. Fitzcarraldo
07. McCormack’s Song (played on piano)
08. This Gift

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)

Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited February 2014
    Just got home after another amazing show. Ed was on fire again tonight - 32 songs, 2 hours and 40 minutes! A fantastic first gig for my unborn son (mrs goldrush is 7 months along), he spent a fair bit of the night kicking along to the music like a drummer to be!

So many highlights - the Betterman/Good Woman/4th of July 'trilogy', LONG NIGHTS with Glen!!!, Bugs, Blackbird... even the intro to Rearviewmirror...

The funniest story of the night was Ed's suggestion for a YouTube ukulele talent search... called Uke Hunt! Probably the first time that word has been said (repeatedly!) at the Opera House :)

Even the merch line was entertaining. It was so long that people queuing to get into Carmen (the opera) on another stage got caught up in it. It was hard to tell who looked the most out of place - the Ed fans at the opera or the expensively dressed opera buffs in an EV merch line.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • "uke hunt" thats awesome :))
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Sweet set! I have to see ed cover blackbird just once.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • North country to open was amazing. Never thought I'd see Ed play it live. Great show, usual dickheads and pissed people calling out for daughter and Ledbetter, but you get that. Ed got a bit carried away with a few stories that may have lost the crowd here and there. Fantastic collection of covers tonight (despite reckless no being one of them!)

And Glen Hansard. Yes. That is all.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    OMG another awesome setlist and Ed did Blackbird.....

Praying very hard to the setlist Gods that Ed plays Blackbird or Hide your love away at Melb 1.
    I would die happy if I got either one..
  • Never been a yeller at all...... But im stoked the first time i ever did yell a request that it was perfectly timed..... And met with a smile and 'fuck yeah' response from EV..... Thanks for 'Blackbird' Ed..... Another tick off the bucket list.... 3 great shows in Syd.
  • I'm not a yeller either but I managed to get a line out of Amanda Palmers Uke Anthem loud enough for a lot to hear
  • 24. I Believe In Miracles-(Ramone, Ray)

:P

And here I thought he only was an actor LOL!

I think you meant Joey Ramone.

AND its an awesome song that I would love to hear Ed sing for sure!
  • you guys are getting some great shows.Ed has his work cut out for him, I did a search on youtube for uke hunt & got About 22,500 results
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    edited February 2014
    Great show, loved the setlist and the view from my seat in Circle row C was better than I thought it would be.

I may sound like a whiner, but I've had some really negative experiences with the Sydney audience members sitting near me. Last night the lady next to me vomited all over herself and continued to sit there for quite a few more songs before moving. I had to try and enjoy listening to Blackbird with the overwhelming stench of vomit before I could move out of my seat without disturbing those around me during Blackbird. I stood in the aisle for quite a few songs until there was a pause where I could ask somebody who had a couple of empty seats near them if the seats were taken.

Right behind me there was also a very aggressive woman threatening to fight another woman seated behind her. They did not stop arguing for ages, at least 4-5 songs. WTF is wrong with some people?! They were at an amazing venue, seeing an amazing performance!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Another great show. It was certainly a different crowd environment than the State Theatre, found the ones who turned up to the opera house to be less educated, more there for the social aspect than the performance itself. Very happy to see Dead Man and Ukulele Anthem. Bugs is always a riot. People around us (row D in the circle) need to learn to respect the other concert goers. Think before you want to stand up and sway drunkenly, or have your phone on reading email or whatever with the screen as bright as the sun glowing in everyone elses face, but such is life.

The Uke Hunt story was certainly interesting, when if you have dabbled in playing the Uke, ukulelehunt.com is your first stop for tabs etc.

Been a great 3 nights in Sydney, look forward to the last show I'll see in Melbourne on Sunday.
  • -Emma- said:

WTF is wrong with some people?!

Alcohol.

And thanks to social media, everyone is a comedian and a smart arse and it's catching on in real life.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    edited February 2014

24. I Believe In Miracles-(Ramone, Ray)

:P

And here I thought he only was an actor LOL!

I think you meant Joey Ramone.

AND its an awesome song that I would love to hear Ed sing for sure!

I Believe in Miracles was written by Dee Dee Ramone and Daniel Rey, Kat just listed both of their surnames. It sounded great last night, hope you get to hear it someday.

Something strange that I noticed last night was that there were a lot of empty seats. It's a real shame given how many people have been posting here crying out for a ticket. There must have been at least 60 seats that we could see from our vantage point (box D on the 'Stone' side of the stage with a full view of the crowd). Maybe all of those touts that took all the tickets couldn't sell them at their inflated prices...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ridleyridley Posts: 163
    edited February 2014
    Eddie absolutely killed it at the Opera House last night (as did Glen). 32 song set lasting 2hr40!

Very covers heavy compared to previous nights with heaps of entertaining banter as usual. A lot of love in the room, you felt like everyone in attendance appreciated how lucky they were to be there. Apologies on behalf of Sydney for the distasteful attendees mentioned above - so glad I was in a well-behaved section and oblivious to them.

Highlights included:

Sleepless Nights w/ Glen unmic'd (audience uncharacteristically dead silent for the whole song)
    Golden State w/ EJ Barnes - including false start where he accidentally went into Setting Forth after the intro :))
    Blackbird (thanks priesty for the nicely timed request ;) )
    Long Nights (was stoked to hear this one, so atmospheric in that room)
    Good Woman
    Bugs on pump organ
    Ed calling out to his dog Hank 'Bruce style'
    Ukulele Anthem (hilarious)

It looked like Eddie was drinking non-alcoholic beverages last night - is there a chance he's doing febfast?
    2003-02-19 Melbourne
    2003-02-20 Melbourne
    2006-11-13 Melbourne
    2006-11-14 Melbourne
    2006-11-16 Melbourne
    2009-11-22 Sydney
    2011-03-18 Sydney
    2011-03-19 Sydney
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    PRIESTY said:

Never been a yeller at all...... But im stoked the first time i ever did yell a request that it was perfectly timed..... And met with a smile and 'fuck yeah' response from EV..... Thanks for 'Blackbird' Ed..... Another tick off the bucket list.... 3 great shows in Syd.

Holy sh*tballs that was you??end of row 4 or 5? Was standing right next to you (in the doorway) and didn't even recognise you....heard it all though...nice work.

Got there a bit late after work . Missed Glen which was a shame.

3rd row centre - thanks 10c. Closest Ill ever get at a PJ/Ed concert.

Golden State knocked me about - couldn't ask for more than that. Society, Blackbird......great night.

Maybe Im getting old (most likely less grumpy!!) but I do all I can to avoid Sydney concerts but I must say Sydney BDO and last night restored some faith.

Some dude yapped away at us outside about how big a fan he was and knew everything about ed/band etc (didnt stop) and camped out for 24 hours and got 5th row.. Asked where we were sitting and I had to say row 25 or something....couldn't do itto the poor bloke. Thanks 10c.

Just as a said note (and trivial point)....the lady that came out at the beginning and said no phones/cameras etc....was that Kat? aka Keyser Soze

I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • TashkTashk Sydney Posts: 24
    edited February 2014
    -Emma- said:

Great show, loved the setlist and the view from my seat in Circle row C was better than I thought it would be.

I may sound like a whiner, but I've had some really negative experiences with the Sydney audience members sitting near me. Last night the lady next to me vomited all over herself and continued to sit there for quite a few more songs before moving. I had to try and enjoy listening to Blackbird with the overwhelming stench of vomit before I could move out of my seat without disturbing those around me during Blackbird. I stood in the aisle for quite a few songs until there was a pause where I could ask somebody who had a couple of empty seats near them if the seats were taken.

Right behind me there was also a very aggressive woman threatening to fight another woman seated behind her. They did not stop arguing for ages, at least 4-5 songs. WTF is wrong with some people?! They were at an amazing venue, seeing an amazing performance!

OMG Emma, what an awful experience, we were in 12th row and had a pretty good experience, apart from this couple that were ridiculously tall, I mean giants sitting in front of us, I had to sit on the floor to actually see the show for a while and then my poor partner had a man in front of him moving forwards, backwards and to the side so he could see, he had no respect for us or the people behind us, we even had the guy behind us tap my partner and point to the man and say "he can't be serious" seriously people have respect, my partner eventually said something politely and then the guy left for the second half of the show, which my partner did feel bad about but seriously everyone paid a decent amount of money to see the performance, so show some damn respect and the girl that puked, that's just disgraceful and then to sit there, I really feel for you Emma, but at least Glen and Eddie rocked the stage!! worth every second :)
    Post edited by Tashk on
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Another fantastic night, thank you Ed.

Loved so many songs, but highlights were Society , I love this song and was sad to see it was scrapped off the 1st Sydney night(so I was so excited-Emma), Throw Your Arms around me (another favourite song of mine (I thought the BDO version was awesome, but last night the sounding and Eds voice was even better in the Opera House), Driftin, Tonight You Belong To Me with Eliza-Jane & Rockin in the Free World, where Ed got nearly everyone up, and of course Hard Sun where Glen, Eliza-Jane & Cecilia joined ED & everyone was standing up for that song. Ed was funny with the Uke Hunt story, and Amanda's Uke song is rather amusing.

I saw the cutest girl, maybe aged 8-10 she had an Adventure time beanie on, sitting in her Dads shoulders and she was rocking out so hard, just adorable, a credit to her family, because they were into the show just as much as she was. I wanted to take a photo of her, because she looked like she was enjoying the show so much, but the no camera policy made me leave my phone in my bag.

I was oblivious to the other side drunken people, we were in box V, great seats and no trouble makers around.

Glen was fantastic too, I have to buy his album. Loved Glen on the piano, with his Irish song & him sharing about his quick Bruce Springsteen concert visit, and "Ask yourself what would Bruce do?" comment. This Gift was just beautiful, I love that song and I was lucky enough to hear it twice in Sydney. If you are going to see Ed in Melbourne or Brisbane make sure you see Glen, excellent singer & entertainer.

I am so sad that my 3 weeks of Pearl Jam & Ed are over........ :(( I will be stocking up on bootlegs now they are back in the shop and just waiting until I get to see PJ or Ed again. The Sydney BDO was just amazing, PJ were on fire, and Ed has backed it up in the 2 Sydney shows that I went to. Every performance in Australia has had incredible setlists and great variety. Thank you again PJ & ED.

• red_devred_dev Adelaide, Australia Posts: 147
    Wow, awesome set list and reviews, lucky Sydney again! Wish Adelaide had a chance to experience this. :-O

1995 - Adelaide (Memorial Drive Tennis Centre)
    1998 - Adelaide (Thebarton Oval)
    2003 - Adelaide (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2006 - Adelaide I (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2006 - Adelaide II (Adelaide Entertainment Centre)
    2009 - Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
    2011 - Eddie Vedder (Thebarton Theatre)
    2011 - Eddie Vedder (Thebarton Theatre)
    2014 - Adelaide Big Day Out
  • NT251861NT251861 Perth Posts: 40
    Sounds like you guys were treated to a spectacular night. I would love to see Bugs live, must be a real hoot! The pump organ was soundchecked at the first Perth show but not the second, and he didn't use it at either (neither did Glen). Does he do any other songs on it, or just Bugs?

I'm glad you got Ukelele anthem too. Amanda Palmer is a hoot so was stoked when Ed played it here, a great comedic addition to the set list. I love that Ed takes some requests from the audience, if only it didn't encourage the dickheads in the crowd to yell out all the "hits". I'm glad he's honouring some of the 10c'ers requests though.

Get ready Melbourne, you are in for a real treat ;)
    no matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead... PJ - Adelaide 98, 09; Perth 03, 06, 09, 14; EV - Perth 11, 14 (2 shows), Brisbane 14 (2 shows)
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    There was a little bit of rvm in there too
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    -Emma- said:

Geezus .. doesn't sound like you're having much luck lately . Unbelievable. :-O
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    E.K said:

Geezus .. doesn't sound like you're having much luck lately . Unbelievable. :-O

The lady who puked wasn't from Sydney and she had travelled from QLD. At the very least she should have apologised and left immediately to go and clean herself up. It was f**king disgusting :(, plus because it was obviously dark there, I had no idea if any puke had ended up on me (thankfully it didn't!).

The ladies sitting on the other side of me were nice to me, but the one next to me was very loud...lots of "whoooo" screaming at the top of her lungs and she kept on screaming out to Eddie, even when loads of people were telling her to shut-up nearby.

Then the woman who was arguing with another woman (I could only hear the aggressive woman's voice though, was saying stuff like "I'll find you out outside, etc"..."give me your name & number and I'll f**k you up"). I could hear a man nearby pleading with this woman, saying "ladies...please!"

The acoustics in the Opera House were very different to other venues, and when people were constantly talking and arguing, it was easy to hear every word they were saying. I was the 3rd seat in from the aisle, and with the lack of legroom in the seating, it was not easy to get past people without disturbing them. I think if I had the aisle seat I would have gone and complained to security quite a few times!

Argh, so frustrating!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • fanofedfanofed Mid North Coast Posts: 77
    -Emma- said:

That's a bummer can people not be Cool...Glad I was not near the "Hurler"
  • fanofedfanofed Mid North Coast Posts: 77
    I took my 14 year old Daughter ,her first concert, and what a Fantastic one... Eddie Vedder@ Sydney. Opera house. I think she will always remember it fondly. Even though it was a little loud for her young ears .Thanks Eddie a Fantastic night. And row 10 thanks 10c.

• Feel very fortunate to have seen the 3 Sydney gigs. All very different......1 was largely PJ, 2 was more EV solo then PJ in the back half, 3 was stacked with covers. 90 odd songs of excellence with some hilarity thrown in.

Thanks to the great man and thanks to 10C for row 3 last night.

What to do with myself now?
    TenVsRhys
    1995 - Sydney Mar 10th, Melbourne Mar 18th, Brisbane Mar 21st and 22nd
    1998 - Melbourne Mar 3rd, Brisbane Mar 14th and 15th
    2000 - London May 29th and 30th
    2009 - Sydney Nov 22nd
    2011 - EV Brisbane Mar 12th, Sydney Mar 18th and Mar 19th
    2014 - Gold Coast Jan 19th, EV Sydney Feb 11th, 12th and 13th
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale Apr 8th, Miami Apr 9th
    2017 - EV London Jun 6th and 7th
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Holy Shitakis what a setlist!!! I was not there but have seen Ed in the states 3 times and looking at this setlist makes me ache as it is so good. A whole set of highlights IMO. It sucks that the few can ruin it for the many. I took my wife and 2 kids to the PJ Portland show and a 40 year old lady a few seats down from us yacked all over the seats/people in front of her and then slumped over in her seat for quite awhile as her husband kept rocking out. We had to smell that shit for the rest of the show.
    Fucking losers!
  • Great setlist. I'd love to hear Bugs on pump organ. I don't understand why he lugged the damn thing all the way to Europe in 2012 and didn't use it. I wonder if he'd ever attempt to play The Wolf on it. That would be incredible.

As for his Uke Hunt joke - there's a little plagiarism going on there. ;) Uke Hunt is a well-known (and very excellent) ukulele website. http://ukulelehunt.com/
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Great setlist. I'd love to hear Bugs on pump organ. I don't understand why he lugged the damn thing all the way to Europe in 2012 and didn't use it.

He did use it. He sang Bugs for Mirella in Amsterdam in 2012.
  • DonJon said:

PRIESTY said:

Never been a yeller at all...... But im stoked the first time i ever did yell a request that it was perfectly timed..... And met with a smile and 'fuck yeah' response from EV..... Thanks for 'Blackbird' Ed..... Another tick off the bucket list.... 3 great shows in Syd.

Holy sh*tballs that was you??end of row 4 or 5? Was standing right next to you (in the doorway) and didn't even recognise you....heard it all though...nice work.

Got there a bit late after work . Missed Glen which was a shame.

3rd row centre - thanks 10c. Closest Ill ever get at a PJ/Ed concert.

Golden State knocked me about - couldn't ask for more than that. Society, Blackbird......great night.

Maybe Im getting old (most likely less grumpy!!) but I do all I can to avoid Sydney concerts but I must say Sydney BDO and last night restored some faith.

Some dude yapped away at us outside about how big a fan he was and knew everything about ed/band etc (didnt stop) and camped out for 24 hours and got 5th row.. Asked where we were sitting and I had to say row 25 or something....couldn't do itto the poor bloke. Thanks 10c.

Just as a said note (and trivial point)....the lady that came out at the beginning and said no phones/cameras etc....was that Kat? aka Keyser Soze

Damn..... That was me brother.... would have loved to catch up with you DonJon!!! Nice Seats!! I was with Mick P aka Joe Dirt... lol

til Next time
  • kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    edited February 2014
    Whats in the merch booths? Haven't heard too much...,
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22