I find Dave Grohl is not a very talented singer/songwriter

Comments

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    edited January 2014
    i think dave grohl is a good drummer and he is funny sometimes because he's just a ham.
    what bugs me about him is that he claims he knows and gets along with everyone and they are all his friends, when it is clear that he only does it for self promotion. jimmy fallon kind of does the same thing.
    Post edited by shortstack on
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • i think dave grohl is a good drummer and he is funny sometimes because he's just a ham.
    what bugs me about him is that he claims he knows and gets along with everyone and they are all his friends, when it is clear that he only does it for self promotion. jimmy fallon kind of does the same thing.

I'm not so sure it is clear that he does it only for self promotion. I actually think he's pretty authentic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Grohl may not be great, but he's fun. I've seen the Foo's once. Would go see them again. It was a good time...tons of fun. That's all I need.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Not hating on Grohl but the Foo's just don't do anything for me at all ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I disagree that he sucks.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Although I love Dave Grohl, I do think that Nirvana is EXTREMELY overrated.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • thefixer9 said:

Although I love Dave Grohl, I do think that Nirvana is EXTREMELY overrated.

You have to keep context into consideration when judging Nirvana.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Just because you don't get his music or him, doesn't mean he sucks. I don't get your opinion. It doesn't mean you suck.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • This man does not suck, not even one little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nBP7LS95g
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Saw Foos open for RHCP - stole the fuckin show they did. And it was Anthohy Kiedis's hometown of Grand Rapids.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

This man does not suck, not even one little bit.

That song moves me and that's what matters.

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The things I like about him most are that he doesn't take himself too seriously, and he's in it for all the right reasons - he makes music for the pure joy of just making music. He might not be the most creative of musicians, but he is the best at what he does. I must have seen the Foos 10-12 times over the years and I've never been let down, you can just tell they love what they do.
  • Ive just heard of multiple people seeing them and saying it was pretty bad. Everyones different I guess. His screamings pretty horrible
  • Ive just heard of multiple people seeing them and saying it was pretty bad. Everyones different I guess. His screamings pretty horrible

Well I've met many people over the years who've seen them and had nothing bad to say about them......

As far as his screaming, well that would depend on whether you liked that style or not - for what it is he does it well.

• This man does not suck, not even one little bit.

Agreed. This man does not suck, not even one little bit.
  • Gard...

I sense you easing off your initial position a little and I commend you for this. Many a stubborn fool persists in maintaining their ill-formed stance despite any offerings to the contrary that might make a guy pause for thought.

Can I suggest approaching Grohl and his work from a less guarded perspective and look to see the good ('great' in my opinion) in what he does?
  • jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    Judas was lol
    until next time......
  • I get what everyone is saying about the Foo's. That's mostly been my stance since their inception. Good Solid Rock music, but didn't "feel" much from it.

After watching their "Back and Forth" Doc...and hearing "Wasting Light"....I'm in.

Great Documentary.

Amazing Album...can't put it down.
    here for the music...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited January 2014
    Grohl sucks? That's a very strange statement. Don't care for us stuff? Fine- listen to someone else. I'm not a huge fan myslef although I like some of the Foos stuff. But saying he sucks? Very strange.

McCready is God? I would argue not so. I love Mike's work and from what I've heard about him as a guy he seems first rate. If by "God" you mean a guitar god, no way. He surely could be any individual persons guitar god, but in the broader sense of the metaphor, a guitar god is someone who creates something profoundly new and/or is an extremely proficient player . Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins, and of course Jimi Hendrix- those are, in a broad sense, guitar gods. Mike is a great guy and a first rate guitar player but with all due respect (I did say I love the guys work, even better than some of the gods I listed) Mike is not a guitar god.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

SRV
  • edited January 2014

Not hating on Grohl but the Foo's just don't do anything for me at all ...

This sums it up for me. To ME...they are a bit like an American version of Nickelback...
    Underneath this smile lies everything...
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    I'm not gonna lie, this thread title makes me laugh every time :))
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I am not a huge Foos fan although I do like some of their tunes. I think he is pretty badass with all of the projects he takes part in. Loved Sound City and loved the doc detailing how he launched the FF.

As far as Mikey being a god....well, I am a man of science so being a great guitarist for a great band and a seemingly awesome human being does not demonstrate godliness so I will have to pass there.

I must admit that I love watching old Nirvana live footage now and seeing DG rock the drums. He was awesome....
    I am fired up just watching the start of this clip (have not figured out how to post the actual vid in here yet sorry!)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ULMbQu7HZyc&feature=player_detailpage
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Great drummer and a really, really nice dude. My aunt is good friend's with some of the Foo Fighters, and nothing but good guys there. Grohl definitely carved his place out in drummer history IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Why OP is wrong, exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    lol. Pat Smear looks ridiculous
  • otterotter Posts: 753
    Dave G. is a fucking bad ass. He should avoid speaking in interviews of any kind but the dude fucking rocks and fucking rocks.

Live…he walks out onto a fully lit stage shredding his guitar to begin the show. The dude fucking rocks.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • otterotter Posts: 753
    chadwick said:

mccready is a god? now i think i will run myself over with my car real quick. brb

mccready is a fucking ANIMAL! THE MAN IS A FUCKING ANIMAL!!!!! He plays guitar better than I play air guitar.
    I found my place......and it's alright
    MayDay10 said:

lol. Pat Smear looks ridiculous

patsmear has always made me smile.

This discussion has been closed.