Options

PJ music helps in difficult times

BS50517BS50517 Posts: 7
I'm 31 years old and a few days ago I was diagnosed with bowel cancer. There is never a good time to get cancer but I was particularly disappointed with the timing because... well, I'm so bloody young but also because I was due to travel to the United States in November to see Pearl Jam. I have seen PJ multiple times in Australia but I thought that there would be something particularly special about seeing them in the U.S. That trip will now have to be cancelled because I'll be having surgery and chemotherapy in the coming months. I have bought tickets to the Big Day Out in Adelaide, so I will at least be able to see Pearl Jam there - if all goes to plan.

I have read stories from other PJ fans about how the music has helped them through difficult times in their lives. Now I have a story of my own to share.

Two days ago I had my MRI and CT scans to image the tumour. At the imaging clinic, there is a selection of music that you can listen to during the scan. I took one look at the list and Pearl Jam jumped out at me. Before going to the appointment, I was watching Carrie Brownstein's interview with the band. Jeff commented on how difficult it is to play songs like Even Flow. The first song that came through the headphones in the MRI machine was none other than Even Flow. The sound quality was likely to give me ear cancer but I was happy to have PJ along for the ride.

Whilst waiting for the scan, I was thinking about how this can be a new beginning for me. A chance to adopt a more positive approach to all things, to become an even better husband and father and that I will be able to look back on this stage in my life as a turning point. When I heard the Even Flow lyric, "He'll begin his life again", a big stupid grin crossed my face. The scan lasted about 30 minutes and toward the end I was actually falling asleep, which I didn't think would be possible listening to Spin The Black Circle. Pearl Jam's music has been with me at a lot of important stages in my life but this was something quite unique. I'm looking forward to Lightning Bolt coming out and seeing what meaning I can draw from it and how it might help me through this journey.

Play it loud.

Beau from Australia
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DM213518DM213518 Posts: 117
    Thanks for sharing, and KICK CANCER'S ASS!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I hope everything goes well with your surgery and chemotherapy, for you and your family's sake. Hopefully you can reschedule your US trip and see the PJ over here. At least you will have the new album to help you through your difficult time. Good luck dude. 8-)
    B Robinette
  • Options
    Keep playing it loud. And good luck to you.
    2006 Antwerp Belgium
    2007 Werchter Belgium
    2010 Nijmegen Netherlands,
    2010 Werchter Belgium
    2012 Werchter Belgium
    2014 Amsterdam 1 Netherlands
    2014 Werchter Belgium
  • Options
    You will get through this. Let the music guide you. I'd recommend, if you haven't seen it, the movie 50/50. Main character is similar age to you, similar situation. Plus, Yellow Ledbetter plays through the end credits. Very uplifting...
    My favorite PJ show is and always will be...
    my next one.

Camden, NJ 2006
    Camden, NJ 2008
    NY, NY 2008
    EV 2008
    EV 2011
    Brooklyn,NY 2013
    Philly, PA, 2013
  • Options
    Yeah, I really enjoyed that film - might have to watch it again. I met with a different surgeon today and he will operate on 16 Oct. He even thinks that I might be OK to travel to the U.S. in Nov, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you also to PJ for releasing Lightning Bolt the day before my surgery - nice one!
  • Options
    Hey there, I just read your post and I feel your heaviness and apprehension within your words - you also project gratitude and positivity - mix that with your love of Pearl Jam and the obvious love and respect of your family and you will surpass this cancerous enemy.

My Lightening Bolt cd came in the mail today and I am living in it right now - It will surely project you into that realm of healing...I cannot begin to tell you just how spiritually transcending Swallowed Whole and Yellow Moon are. When you hear them, your new life's agenda will be reinforced - not to mention Future Days.

Today has been a day for tears as someone important to me was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor - she will undergo surgery on Monday and biopsy pending, we will see if chemo is also necessary.

Pearl Jam has been the sound of my life as well - Truly, their music has provided relief, reflection, and healing.

So, all day we have been celebrating life and love - and I now add your life and that of your family too to that celebration so that you have hundreds more Future Days and Yellow Moons to share with your wife and children.

Good luck and good faith -
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Hope you beat it.
    My mum got diagnosed recently with breast cancer, currently going through chemo.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Hey man, I wish you the greatest luck in beating this thing. Keep your hopes high and the music loud and don't give in.

Peace and love.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    So any hope of making my U.S. trip to see PJ is now well and truly dashed. After my first surgery for bowel cancer, my surgeon said I would be good to go in November. I had a complication a week later though (very nearly died actually) and required an emergency procedure.

I returned home today and sat in my recliner chair and looked up at my favourite painting, which I got for my 30th birthday last year - it was wonderful to be home after 2 weeks in hospital. I was also greeted with a lovely surprise, as Lightning Bolt had arrived in the mail. I pulled out the record sleeve and the image below is what I was greeted with. The colours seemed to match so closely, it was as if Jeff Ament had sent me a giant Welcome Home card!

Loving the new album, especially now that I can Spin The Black Circle.

Frustratingly I can't get the image to display, which is kind of important to the post. I've read the threads on how to do it but it says it can't determine the image size and I don't have the energy to deal with it now.
  • Options
    BS50517 wrote:
    So any hope of making my U.S. trip to see PJ is now well and truly dashed. After my first surgery for bowel cancer, my surgeon said I would be good to go in November. I had a complication a week later though (very nearly died actually) and required an emergency procedure.

I returned home today and sat in my recliner chair and looked up at my favourite painting, which I got for my 30th birthday last year - it was wonderful to be home after 2 weeks in hospital. I was also greeted with a lovely surprise, as Lightning Bolt had arrived in the mail. I pulled out the record sleeve and the image below is what I was greeted with. The colours seemed to match so closely, it was as if Jeff Ament had sent me a giant Welcome Home card!

Loving the new album, especially now that I can Spin The Black Circle.

Frustratingly I can't get the image to display, which is kind of important to the post. I've read the threads on how to do it but it says it can't determine the image size and I don't have the energy to deal with it now.

So sorry you couldn't make it to the US leg of your trip, and of course about the complications you suffered. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and that LB provides that spiritual uplift that's so important in times like these.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    Keep playing it loud. And good luck to you.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    All the best from the other side of the world, hope things improve for you soon, glad music is coming through for you!!
  • Options
    Hey Beau,
    I hope things are looking brighter for you now and you're getting better.
    I was diagnosed with melanoma cancer a few years ago with not a great prognosis. Listening to PJ helped me through the shittiest days, and I especially found comfort in Eddie's Into the Wild soundtrack. When panic set in I closed my eyes and listened to Long Nights and felt much more at peace.
    I'm doing fine right now, hopefully you are too.
    All the best!