Options

Lightning Bolt= one of Ed's daughters?

Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
A friend of mine suggested this song is about one of his girls or both. Now it all makes sense to me. Especially why the album is named after the song and all the lyrics line up.

It progresses from her youth to her being older.

The theme that she has a fun kind of control over him.

You gotta know you'll never let her go...

The vinyl includes the handwritten parts .... Uncontrollable, like you.

RKO? Kind find anything anywhere that makes sense so this must be an inside reference. Nickname or something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    I think it's about his mom

And I think it's a great song

Even better live
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Thank you for posting this. Ever since I first heard the song, lightning bolt, I have been wondering if it was about his oldest daughter. I am a single dad every 15-year-old daughter. We went to the Charlottesville show and work on the rail. I don't know what the song means to Ed, but I know what it means to me. My daughter was a surprise, so to speak. And she definitely struck my life like a lightning bolt! Needless to say, when they played it live in Charlottesville, I was an emotional whirlwind.

And, if it's not obvious from the foregoing, I agree with you. I have seen some really whacked out interpretations, including somebody who suggested it was about a surfboard. I can understand somebody thinking it's about a woman, but I interpret this song to be about his oldest daughter. More to the point, it would be consistent with the theme of the music they are writing now.
    Columbus (3-31-92), (5-6-10)
    Cleveland (7-29-92)
    VA Beach (8-3-00), (6-17-08)
    DC (7-1-03), (6-22-08)
    Camden (5-28-06)
    Bristow (5-13-10)
    Vancouver (9-25-11)
    Wrigley (7-19-13)
    Charlottesville (10-29-13)
    Seattle (12-6-13)
  • Options
    KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    To me, it seems that this song is just a great big metaphor for a Volatile relationship where both parties' problems (Baggage) are great and similar.

It begins by focusing on the man's perspective (reality) and ends with the female's reality, "All her problems they won't die with you." Also the line "She's uncontrollable like you," showing that the two are really more alike in regards to their emotional baggage.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I never thought of it that way? I also agree with it having to do with his daughter as well,the urges.