Options

Let's talk about Getaway

2»

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rtmarsh wrote:
    Getaway stands on its own. Great bassline,crunchy guitars, expansive lyrics. Fuckin Pearl Jam 2013.

PERFECT! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Definitely a grower ;)
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited December 2013
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    This is a brilliant song and opener. It is my second favourite on the album after MFS.

Has anyone tried singing along to this tune? It is quite a challenge! :roll:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    STAYSEA wrote:
    crazy awesome! saw it live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBghySrZT6E

in my head for months.
    Thanks for posting this link. I have been dying to see a live clip of this one. Charlottsville was my last show and they debuted with this at Charlotte the next evening... :( :)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    This is a brilliant song and opener. It is my second favourite on the album after MFS.

Has anyone tried singing along to this tune? It is quite a challenge! :roll:

I always mess up the Simon says part...haha.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Getaway is an absolutely excellent song in every way. I'm a sucker for the big chorus hook, and this song has it, as well as a terrific vocal melody by Ed.

'It's ok
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith"

In that regard it's up there with Sad or Unempolyable or Force Of Nature as songs that instantly captured my attention.

"It's sad... and his loneliness is proof"

"Oh yeh
    So this life is sacrifice"

" One man stands alone, Awaiting
    For her to come home
    Eyes upon the horizon
    In the dark before the darkness meets the dawn"
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    love this one
  • Options
    My favorite track on the record ;)
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    definitely a top three off LB.

not a groundbreaking song for the band, just a VERY tight and VERY pearl jam song.
  • Options
    chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    Getaway, with Pendulum, are my 2 best songs off LB....

Getaway did not get much love on the first leg of the tour... but once they get it right it will be played lots of times...

This song will be played as a main set closer... of a 1st encore closer....

Porch/Corduroy/Rearviewmirror/Getaway... all in the same line...
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Options
    I LOVE GETAWAY. A couple of observations. I still cringe a little when he tries to stuff to many words in at 0:58 and 1:06. It's like when you gasp in air and then try to burp-talk the alphabet. So you try to say it real fast to get it all in. Only in those 2 spots. I wish there was a cleaner way to say what he wanted to say and not make it sound so forced. Just in those 2 spots. And then overall, Getaway is like In my tree where it is mixed low. It lacks a certain punchiness. Like In my tree, I geep turning up the volume and can't seem to get to where I want to be. There is a certain punch like in MYM, Supersonic and Hail, Hail that I think could be in Getaway a little more than it is. Please PLEASE don't get me wrong. Getaway is a HUGE favorite of mine. I love the music and lyrics. It gave me a few lines to use when people are pushing religion on me. I just wanted to make a couple of personal observations I had and this seemed to be a good place.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,285
    I wanna see them open a show with the 1st four of LB but substitute Sirens with LB & i don't see how you can not like LB that stone lead at the end is f'n great , back to Topic Getaway just rocks ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    I'll agree with quite a few others and say it is my favourite song on the album which is really saying something as all the songs are pretty damn good
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    OK...Summer of 2007. I was in this Turkish prison for, lets say, "Introducing local folk to an alternative medicinal option"...my cellie had this shank he made out of a toothbrush, butter, old tape & some bodily fluids...We took out the first 2 guards and then we...oh wait. NVM...That "GETAWAY?"...the Pearl Jam song? Yeah. I like it. Its pretty good
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    I'd say

Go
    Sometimes
    Last exit
    Getaway
    Can't keep

I love the lyrics on Getaway and the music has a great drive to it.
  • Options
    LoveBoatCaptainDaveLoveBoatCaptainDave san antonio,tx Posts: 461
    my favorite song on the album!! listening to it right now!!
    san antonio tx 2003
    austin tx 2009
    EV san antonio tx 2011
    dallas tx 2013
    austin tx 2014
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    First time hearing it I felt it had a great indie rock vibe. Maybe it's the production as well. Love the song... The bass is very prominent which I love.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Love the end "FOR GOD SAKE MAKE YOUR GETAWAY!"

Mind Your Manners is my favorite today and before but Getaway was my favorite for a week or so.
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345
    Getaway is my favorite song off of Lightning Bolt. However, I think it's one of the songs that the band talked about not being able to translate live. One of the songs where Brendan O'Brien wanted everthing higher and higher and jokingly saying it's not his problem that they won't be able to do it live. Well it was no joke because after seeing it 3 times this tour I can say that he was right. It wasn't just bad, it was horrible. They know it. There was a reason they weren't playing it. Hopefully that can get it worked out because on the record it's a kick ass tune.
  • Options
    Getaway is my favorite song off of Lightning Bolt. However, I think it's one of the songs that the band talked about not being able to translate live. One of the songs where Brendan O'Brien wanted everthing higher and higher and jokingly saying it's not his problem that they won't be able to do it live. Well it was no joke because after seeing it 3 times this tour I can say that he was right. It wasn't just bad, it was horrible. They know it. There was a reason they weren't playing it. Hopefully that can get it worked out because on the record it's a kick ass tune.

Really, didn't it work? I saw it on youtube and have a crowd taped version, but it doesn't seem that bad in those versions. On the other hand I thought the same with My father's son and that one really let me down on the official bootleg (Worchester).
    Please don't get me started on O'Brien, but what you say makes sense. If so I say sack the guy, if not still sack him.
    When I heard Getaway in that little clip in Eddie's car, I thought it would be a great opener for a concert.
    I hope they'll be able to make it work.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    erikdees wrote:

Really, didn't it work? I saw it on youtube and have a crowd taped version, but it doesn't seem that bad in those versions. On the other hand I thought the same with My father's son and that one really let me down on the official bootleg (Worchester).
    Please don't get me started on O'Brien, but what you say makes sense. If so I say sack the guy, if not still sack him.
    When I heard Getaway in that little clip in Eddie's car, I thought it would be a great opener for a concert.

Why should they "sack" Obrien because the band can't make a song work live? IMO, his job in the studio is to take the bands new songs and make them sound as good as possible for the record. Its the bands job to tweak them and make them translate live.
  • Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    I love Getaway, it’s smart, sassy and has a nice “in your face” message that many of us (non-holy roller types) can relate to.
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:
    erikdees wrote:

Why should they "sack" Obrien because the band can't make a song work live? IMO, his job in the studio is to take the bands new songs and make them sound as good as possible for the record. Its the bands job to tweak them and make them translate live.

Well if he really said it like that it's just another thing that add's to a large pile of reasons why I would love for Pearl jam to work with some other producer.