Options

My wife doesn't get my Pearl Jam obsession

13»

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Zod wrote:
    My wife just texted me:

"Anyhow. LOL. Did you see the pearl jam poster for the show in Pittsburgh tonight? It's freaking great!!!"

My work here is done :)

what a keeper... man :lol:
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Join me in the club. My wife thinks PJ obsession is my mid-life crisis. As I happened to rediscover PJ 2 years ago after a long, stupid break.

But she likes the travel that comes along. She says it energizes me.

She's been to Berlin, first in 2012, saw the great music, saw people going out of their minds, seemed to get into it for a while and after the show, she said, "interesting experience" and that was it.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    ...My wife actually supports PJ because she says that eV is handsome...

:nono:
    i got memories... i got shit___..
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DH62179 wrote:
    I went thru this last night, when I got home from work last night everyone was just sitting down to dinner and I put Yellow Moon on quietly thinking maybe she'd dig it but nothing, then Future Days and still nothing. A little later I said look I know you don't care but it's important to me and you're kinda stuck with me so I want to talk about it and she wasn't interested. I wanted to tell her how I think this might be their best album, at least in a very long time, I don't think you can ever truly top Ten because it is such a classic but all the others are fair game I think. Anyway, apparently not even having Future Days on that repulsive piece of trash Grey's Anatomy could peak her interest, she didn't even notice. Oh bother... :roll:
    Grey's Anatomy is good!!

And you just explained why I could never be with someone who isn't a big fan. :lol:

I like Grey's too, I guess I took my frustration out on it too, I have refused to watch it this year since she chose to watch the season premeire without me even though it was 'our show,' what must it be like to have reallife problems?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    DH62179 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DH62179 wrote:
    I went thru this last night, when I got home from work last night everyone was just sitting down to dinner and I put Yellow Moon on quietly thinking maybe she'd dig it but nothing, then Future Days and still nothing. A little later I said look I know you don't care but it's important to me and you're kinda stuck with me so I want to talk about it and she wasn't interested. I wanted to tell her how I think this might be their best album, at least in a very long time, I don't think you can ever truly top Ten because it is such a classic but all the others are fair game I think. Anyway, apparently not even having Future Days on that repulsive piece of trash Grey's Anatomy could peak her interest, she didn't even notice. Oh bother... :roll:
    Grey's Anatomy is good!!

And you just explained why I could never be with someone who isn't a big fan. :lol:

I like Grey's too, I guess I took my frustration out on it too, I have refused to watch it this year since she chose to watch the season premeire without me even though it was 'our show,' what must it be like to have reallife problems?
    Yeah, I really don't know. :lol:
    I haven't watched Grey's since the 2010 season because of a broken PVR that lost a whole season, then there are no reruns, I don't have netflix.... so I'm waiting for them to rerun the whole damn series so I can find out what happened since Meredith and McDreamy adopted that baby. :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jerseygenx wrote:
    . Takes some getting use to, walking into concerts by myself but once they start playing I'm no longer alone.

I am with you.
  • Options
    great topic. i relate with about 90% of the posts. At first, my wife thought the obsession was odd, then she grew to tolerate it. Then she was annoyed with it. Now she just makes fun of me. I'm ok with it since she's grown to like many pj tunes.

This is exactly where i am at. So funny.
  • Options
    ursinhaursinha Posts: 40
    my wife is very supportive about PJ, went together to PJ 20 and West Palm 08.

She cried during Low Light, first time listening.

Not a fan, but understand my loyalty when saw The fans are alright and saw the huge tshirt Peruvian fans made for PJ at the hotel.

She doesnt get why YLB ends every show

Bad moment: In a big fight she hide my PJ 20 Book. I find it three weeks later.

Man, that's mean.
    --
    Dec 02nd 05, Pacaembu, SP, Brazil
    Dec 03rd 05, Pacaembu, SP, Brazil
    Nov 06th 11, Apoteose, RJ, Brazil
    Nov 09th 11, Paraná Clube, PR, Brazil
    Nov 11th 11, Est. Zequinha, RS, Brazil
    Mar 31th 13, Lollapalooza Brazil, SP
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,174
    If anyone need's a new wife the woman sitting on the bench in front of mine on the bus home from work today had a sealed copy of Into the Wild on her lap.

I figure if someone's PJ obsession results in a breakup, maybe you should track her down. I don't recall ever seeing someone of the female gender moving about their day with a PJ related vinyl before.
  • Options
    Lukinz wrote:
    editguy29 wrote:
    I brought my wife to one show in Camden, NJ when we first starting dating. She was miserable, which in turn made me furious. Since then I have asked if she would like to go to a few shows.
    Camden again, no
    MSG I & II, no.
    EV at the Beacon, no.
    Brooklyn, no.

Her favorite "band".... wait for it... wait for it.....

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, New Kids on the fucking Block.

Probably better off leaving her at home. Anyway, I will be in Brooklyn both nights by myself (single), hit me up.

My wife doesn't like PJ or live shows by anyone. But at least she doesn't like NKOTB. :lol::lol:

Look for me at the Brooklyn Wish List party on Saturday. I'll buy you a beer.

Yea, hopefully I make some pj friends pre-gaming because I am going to both shows solo. Sometime it can be a bore
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Zod wrote:
    If anyone need's a new wife the woman sitting on the bench in front of mine on the bus home from work today had a sealed copy of Into the Wild on her lap.

I figure if someone's PJ obsession results in a breakup, maybe you should track her down. I don't recall ever seeing someone of the female gender moving about their day with a PJ related vinyl before.

Into the Wild was my gateway to PJ, now my husband is lucky enough to have a wife that took over the management of his 10C account and makes sure he gets PJ tickets to as many shows as he can. She plans the PJ tours, and books hotels and flights as required:)
  • Options
    When we started dating my husband actually liked PJ, we even played a couple PJ songs at our wedding reception. Somewhere along the way however his views have changed. Unfortunately as a result of taking him to shows. He thinks me, my friends and other fans take it "too far". By the EV tour in 2011 he said "don't even ask me to go anymore. It's no longer fun". :( We have actually had several fights about me traveling to shows. I think he is jealous I have something I love so much. He doesn't get it.

Soooo... I'm traveling to Brooklyn solo. I'll be hanging out in the GA line alone so if someone could hold my space for a bathroom break it would be much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    I'll be happy to return the favor as well!
  • Options
    I've always liked Pearl Jam. That's what I thought until I met my husband. He was always listening to their albums and went to a few concerts, but had never joined 10C. I admit I got annoyed at some point because PJ is all he would listen to, but I got over it.

In 2011 we went to one of their concerts in Toronto and I loved it. It was my first concert and it was easy to understand his obsession. They played 2 nights there and I couldn't help but feel sorry and annoyed at the same time as he was on Twitter reading the set list of the second night and saying "I should have bought a ticket for the second show".

Fast forward to 2012, we buy tickets to go to Europe for our 10th anniversary in July; it would also coincide with my birthday. Then, for some reason I can't remember, I told him "you should join 10C". He did and signed up for the concerts in London (Canada) and Chicago, July 16 and 19th. My birthday is the 17th and we were going to be in London (UK), the place where we met. He couldn't find words to tell me he got the tickets; when he did, he said he wasn't gonna go, we had already the tickets booked to Europe... I looked at him and said "yes, you're going". I was on the phone for 3 HOURS to change his ticket so he could come back early from the trip and he was booking his flight from Toronto to Chicago. We spent my birthday apart and din't get to be together in London 10 years later, but he was happy to have gone to the concerts and this is what marriage is all about: compromise and both being happy!

Now I am a 10C member and our 8 year old wants to be a member, too! We even had our first family concert with our daughter in Vancouver (even though she slept through the concert as she was jet lagged!) and it was great to reinforce that PJ and 10C is a big, happy family!

To you, stressed out wives/husbands, give your better half a break and join them in something healthy and that will make them happy! It doesn't hurt and it is something pretty cool to do as a couple/family!
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    I've been w/ the wifey 20 years and been with PJ for 21 years...

Can't imagine not being with either one..

Neither know each other...LOL...

She's always known they are a part of me, and does her best to support it... ;)

but to answer your question??? She does not "get it".... :fp:
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    My girlfriend does not understand my obsession but agreed to travel to PJ20 with me, then MIA festival, and now she is doing a few shows this tour too. :D

And now I have been catching her humming some PJ tunes :shock: (Not For You, Future Days, Swallowed Whole)
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I'm hoping to convert my wife this summer at the Stockholm show.

It worked with Soundgarden a couple of months ago....so there's hope! :)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Early Xmas present to myself, my wife doesn't get my PJ obsession either. :fp:

th_image_zps81fd7d46.jpeg
  • Options
    My wife didn't get it for a long time. She started to appreciate my passion/addiction to this band. But then she saw her first show. She gets it now and fully supports it. We were talking about if we won the Powerball last week and her first "fantasy" purchase was tickets to every show on the European tour. I loved it.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *