Cleveland Fanviews/Stories Needed

MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Hey all, looking for stories of Cleveland for my site... cant believe no one has posted on on here yet. Anyways check out my site (address in my signature) and PM me or e-mail me at webmaster@pearljamstories.com if you have something to contribute. I will greatly appreciate it....

thanks!
10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
    The only thing I can think of is that When Stone got up there to do Don't gimme no Lip, everyone's testicles flew off and every woman gave birth right then and there to a little Stone, and so no one could make it home to post. The awesomeness must have HOSPITALIZED EVERYONE.
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
    btw FAITHFULL??? are you KIDDING ME? Only the greatest song to be recorded and distributed via compact disc and record?? sheesh, i hate you clevland. SF is going to get NO YIELD LOVE, I know it. And I'm going to cry. Alot.
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i dont really have the time or attention for a full fanview, but a few notes offhand. betterman worked great as an opener, got the whole crowd singing from the very start. the new songs sounded fantastic and they nailed faithfull. it truly sounded like most everyone in the damn place knew all the wrods. at some points you almost couldn't hear ed. before unemployable he said ohioans knew too much about this topic and invited us all to seattle where we could be wet and depressed, but "youd be drinking with us so it'd be cool." ed "warned" us that we'd be singing with him before going into daughter. as they went into the outro he put on a guitar and the familiar chords from "it's ok" could be heard. big singalong, though it sounded different from jones beach. fantastic nonetheless. immortality was great. porch had a different intro (though they might have been doing that all tour for all i know)... kinda cool funky slow opening. the jam in the middle was absolutely incredible and ed introduced the whole band before introducing cleveland "to yourselves" by putting his guitar over his head and doing the spotlight thing he used to do with the mirror. as he's going around he accidentally bumped it up to the third level (which apparently he hadnt seen) and you could hear him go "jesus, there's a whole other row up there!" why go was absolutely incredible, huge singalong, with mike playing the solo behind his head. alive was also fantastic, ed passing the wine and swinging the mic. they came back for encore 2 saying they were going to fill some requests. stone nail dont gimme no lip and looked like he was having a blast. ed was destroying tambourines like a madman during fuckin up and made a diving catch for a hat thrown to him. before yellow ledbetter he told this nutty story about a dream he had where he and his family were watching the moon from a cafe and sparks started flying off it and it disintegrated and how he thinks it was about dmeocracy and how we should all be sure to participate becos ohio is the deciding vote. mike played yellow ledbetter behind his back.
  • I'll rock a fanview.

So my wife and I got to the Q shortly before MMJ were to take the stage (we intended to get there earlier, but we had kids to drop off), we waited in line to get a shirt and the MMJ CD, and we got to our seats - front row, Stone's side. I was like a kid in a candy store - after 13 years in the Ten club, I finally got to sit in the front row (though I was on the end and I couldn't see Matt, but there's no way I could complain - it ruled).

So we're sitting there, watching the roadies do their dirty work when the lights go down, and a white stool was placed centre stage along with an angled mic stand - Ed did a preset!! I looked at my wife - smile ear-to-ear - I wondered what he was going to play, Hide Your Love Away? Dead Man? Don't Be Shy? Last Kiss it was. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the song, but for some reason it sounded better to me than it ever had before - then Ed introduced MMJ and they did the song It Makes No Difference. I was not very familiar with MMJ before the show, but they won me over. Good set.

So I sat down for the one break I would get to take, while the crew cleared away MMJ's gear. Anticipation. Suddenly, Master/Slave starts droning out of the speakers, and we were up on our feet. We see Boom on stage, and we wonder "what's the opener? LBC?" - Betterman featuring a guest vocalist: the Audience. It was goddamned awesome. Then we get Given to Fly, and then World Wide Suicide - energy out the ass, man. After Life Wasted, the girl next to me thanked me for singing in key. Severed Hand featured the prerecorded intro and was off the hook. Then they followed it with Faithfull - wow. Then Unemployable!! I was so excited to hear this song and they rocked it. Gone was great, and they followed it up with Daughter. Ed warned us before they got Daughter underway that we were going to be helping, then they had a quick conference before starting the song - looked like chords were being worked out. So they did Daughter, and during the end jam Ed gets his guitar, I looked at my wife and pointed at Ed and raised my eyebrows. What would be the tag? IT'S OK!!!!! Holy shit, it was It's OK. Ever since they did this in Jones Beach 2000, I have been itching to hear it, thinking it would never happen. It did. MFC led to Immortality - accentuated by Matt's always wonderful drumming. Lukin set the pace for the rest of the main set as they followed it with Do The Evolution and Spin the Black Circle - keeping the energy at nice high. They ended the main set with Porch, an awesome version with Ed rocking the guitar. At some point during the main set, Ed introduced the band, and it was cool as hell when he announced that Jeff was supporting the Cavaliers (I know you Detroiters will disagree with that), I particularly enjoyed that little bit.

So anyway, they left for the encore, and we see some stools come out to the stage along with Jeff's standup bass - my wife and I got our hopes up for Man Of The Hour (we really wanted to hear this for personal reasons), but we got Wasted Reprise and Thumbing My Way instead - still a damn good start for the encore because Inside Job came next - and my sweet lord did that rock. The lasers and fog set the perfect mood for the song. Black was pretty as always, and Alive provided me with a chance to change the wallpaper on my cell phone as I got a sweet picture of Ed and Mike standing on the PA playing the solo RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!!! Then they left the stage again.

Encore 2 - this is where it got out of hand. Go and Comatose started the proceedings, then Ed announced that it was time to honor some requests. So they broke out U!! Afterward, one of my wishes was granted - see, I yelled "let Stone sing" and "Don't Gimme No Lip" as soon as I heard the word "requests". So imagine my elation when Ed announced that they had a guest vocalist with them and Stone stepped forward while Ed grabbed his guitar and they did Don't Gimme No Lip!!! I was out of my mind with joy - here I am, at a Pearl Jam concert, seated in front of my guitar hero, getting to see him do one of my favourite songs!! I don't know if you read these Mr. Gossard, but just in case - Thank you. So after that stellar moment - Stone walks to Jeff's side of the stage, and Jeff walks to Stone's side and Ed announces that they have a special guest guitarist, Mr. Jeff Ament! Smile was played and it was fucking awesome. Then the 12 string bass walked on stage, and they beat the hell out of Why Go. Where could they go from there? Fuckin' Up, that's where. Ed murdered a handful of tambourines, and someone tossed a hat on stage. It was cool. Then when we think they are done, Ed shared with us a dream he had about the moon disintegrating while he and his family were dining at a sidewalk cafe. He connected the dream to democracy and gave us the advice to go out and vote, then Mike played Yellow Ledbetter with his ass. Then we went home. It was a great show.

It was my third time seeing Pearl Jam in concert and it was easily the best concert I've seen in my life - better than Page and Plant at the Gund in 1995 if you'll believe it. Thank you Pearl Jam for giving me and the love of my life something special to have shared.

Justin
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • strangespotintheskystrangespotinthesky Pittsburgh Posts: 20
    Made the trek out to the “Mistake on the Lake” I mean Cleveland :) from Pittsburgh with the wife and arrived around 5PM. Paid $20 to park in the strangest parking garage ever and made a b-line straight to the Will Call for 10 our club tix.

Dead center 19 rows back – thank you 10 Club! Only problem was that we also had Sec 109 tix we got from a friend back home and found no one that wanted to make the trip out to Cleveland for the show.

But we were able to put those tix to good use…
    We decided it would be cool to find some deserving fans up in the nosebleeds and “upgrade” their seats. Sounds easy – well it wasn’t – first we had to wait until after MMJ’s set so we could see up there. Then to find 2 people (lots of people in groups of 3 or 4 up there) was hard. We finally spotted some girls (one of which was standing and putting on her newly purchased Avacado tour shirt!) and we had our “winners”! My wife went over to them and confirmed that there were just 2 of them and they went bonkers when they saw the tix! Jumping up and down pulling at my wife – thanking her profusely. It was really beautiful.

They proceeded to take off like jack rabbits down to the lower level! We definetly found the right two. We could see them from our floor seats and they were so excited - telling everyone how they ended up there (we could tell by their constant pointing up towards their old seats). And I’m glad to say they were there until the very end of the show – maybe a couple of more “freaks” in the making!!!

Anyway let’s back up a bit…
    The wife and I were starving so we headed over to Flannery’s to check out the CCFA event and grab some food. We bought a strip of raffle tix and bought some “Got Guts” wristbands. As soon as we got to our seats to eat the raffle started so I ran back to listen to the winning numbers while my wife ordered our food. As they called the winning numbers for the Mike McCready signed Place/Date book I shouted “Yeahhh!” or something embarrassing like that as my numbers were called!!! I couldn’t believe it! Still in shock actually.

I have to give a big thank you to Laura and all involved in organizing such a great event. I encourage everyone to stop by and donate a little money to a great cause – you never know – you may get lucky too!

Finally to the show!!!
    Got Last Kiss pre-set which was nice and more importantly it wouldn’t be in the main set (sorry not a favorite of mine).

Betterman was different as an opener. The wound up crowd took over the first verse with authority as Ed leaned back and strummed the chords. Not the best opener – but it ended up working.

Next – GTF – always great to hear – and to me anything off a Yield is a huge plus – one of my favorite albums (little did I know 3 more Yield tunes were yet to come!)

Then we went into the WWS-Life Wasted-Severed Hand bunch. I was anxious to hear in person for the first time – saw all the recent performances – Letterman, AOL, Jools, etc. and heard some of the recent boots but live it was different. I’m sorry to say I agree with others – they need to break up these songs a little. WWS was great but I felt the momentum dropped greatly after that. Love the tunes but just all too similar or something to play back to back to back like this…

On to Faithfull!!! My first “Holy Shit” moment of the night. 3rd time hearing this live and it never gets old – great performance – great song – just Pearl Jam nirvana here for me.

Next Unemployable – was looking forward to this since the WWS b-side came out. It was good but works better on CD than live for me. Picked up near the end with the “oh,oh,oh’s” but never got going for me. Don’t get me wrong it was by no means bad but didn’t really move me live like the album version.

Gone was just the opposite – I never really fell in love with the album version – but live this song really delivers! Awesome how this song builds up.

Next “Holy shit!” moment was before Daughter with Ed asking us to help out later in the song and him showing Stone some chord progression changes before starting… and there it was “IT’S OK!!!!!” Oh dear – this was just an awesome moment for me. After seeing the Touring Band version when they played it at the first US show after coming back from the tragedy in Roskilde this tag is just so powerful to me… One word - amazing.

MFC!!!! More Yield = me happy! Ed fucked up the lyrics – but didn’t matter to me – loved it still.

Immortality – as soon as it started I was excited about Matt’s solo at the end – and did he deliver – great, powerful song live with explosive finish.

Lukin into DTE – this was a curve ball but they hit a home run with it. I never get tired of DTE live – the place always starts bouncing on this one! Loved Ed’s “…admire Stone!” comment!

STBC – after DTE this was like going into overdrive. Another great live one I never tire of. Great crowd reaction…

What’s that I hear? Slow Porch chords??? Oh yes!!!! Lukin->DTE->STBC now fucking PORCH!!! - This was a “Holy Fucking Shit” moment for me. Before this one Ed went to Mike and I had a feeling since no Even Flow was played yet he told Mike to solo for a while on this one so he could catch a break – which he did.

Encore 1….
    Wasted reprise was nice. Not a huge Thumbing My Way fan but it was nice to hear.

Inside Job – one of my favorites on the new album. I was a little nervous after being a little let down on some of the earlier new tunes – but not here. This song just builds and builds. Loved the lasers and double neck SG. They’ve gotten this song to work live. Just need more Boom on the piano intro – other than that perfect. Would make an awesome opener.

Black – I will never, ever tire of this song live. Ed always gets into it and it is always so emotional. The little bit of “We Belong Together” at the end was another Holy Shit moment for me.

Alive – what can you say – I feel like I should be tired of this song but I always get into it live.

Encore 2….
    Said to my wife – I feel Animal or Go. A second later GO!!! Awesome encore opener. Loved every second of this one.

Into – COMATOSE! This one falls into the STBC/DTE category live for me. It just rocks live – way better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to this one again.

Next – Ed says it’s time to fulfill some requests!!! We got U which was nice but not too exciting.

Then – oh dear – could it be – is it – yes – Mr. Stone Gossard on vocals!!! DON’T GIMME NO LIP. Real fun to hear live. Complete with Stone chant!!!

What’s this? Stone on bass! SMILE! My wife has been waiting 8 shows to hear this. It was great – the crowd ate it up. This should really be in the rotation more. Great energy – great fun for everyone.

Why Go!!! Odd this late in the set – but it didn’t matter. Crowd really stepped it up. Just a great song and awesome live.

Fuckin Up! Mixed emotions. Glad to hear and always fun. But you know the end is near…

Into Ed’s dream story – which seem to confuse / amuse the rest of the guys and us – but hey it’s Ed. He can read us the phone book and we’d listen.

But Mikey - Yellow Ledbetter BEHIND HIS MOTHER FUCKING BACK the WHOLE FUCKING SONG! After winning the signed book by him early in the day and this performance the evening had come full circle for me.

Until next time…
    Pitt '98 - Pitt '00 - Pitt '03 - State College '03 - Hershey '03 - Toledo '04 - Pitt '05 - Philly '05 - Cleveland '06 - Pitt '06 - Cinci '06 - Bonnaroo '08 - MSG I '08 - MSG II '08
  • PittsburghPJPittsburghPJ Posts: 213
    I thought it was fantastic. Absolutely rocking setlist, I kept waiting for them to slow it down in the first set but they never did. Flowed beautifully. When Ed told us we were going to get to do a part before Daughter, I knew It's OK was coming. So happy I got to see that. I missed the 10C presale for this one so I had to use TM. Seemed like some of the people around me didn't know what was going on or why the other people were so pumped at this point. Immortality, Evolution, and Porch were all great. I expected them to slow it down with the first encore, and they did with Wasted Reprise, Thumbing My Way, and a really good Black. I thought the rendition of Inside Job was also great, but, again, a lot of the non 10C people around me seemed lost. End of the first encore with a killer Alive, totally pumped up the arena, and the energy carried right over into the second encore with Go/Comatose. Then the "rarer" stuff: U sounded awesome, Don't Gimme No Lip was sweet, and Smile was a nice touch. Why Go brought the roof off, and so did the closing Fucking Up/YL. Awesome concert, a bit shorter than some, but more than made up for by and understandable with the hard-rocking setlist.
    YNWA
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    The only thing I can think of is that When Stone got up there to do Don't gimme no Lip, everyone's testicles flew off and every woman gave birth right then and there to a little Stone, and so no one could make it home to post. The awesomeness must have HOSPITALIZED EVERYONE.

ditto!!!! :D
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • stardog2012stardog2012 Posts: 16
    Here's the Clevelander perspective - I was stoked cuz this was my first time seeing the boys in my hometown, as I'd been living in Cali from 90-2004, so I always saw em out there...

very hard rocking show, great vibes throughout... Faithful was awesome, count me as another huge Yield fan... Why Go Home was totally sick...

but what I want to add that has not really been mentioned is what Eddie had to say about the Cavs and the Pistons. I was expecting something, since the next show is in Detroit and we all know they boys are big NBA fans... at the start of the first encore set, Eddie said how it was funny, their nextshow is in Detroit. Everyone started booing and yelling "Detroit sucks! Detroit sucks!" also some fuck detroit, and beat detroit, etc... good stuff if you're a Clevelander, especially if you were at game 6 on friday night like I was... so then he said he couldn't say that, but then he relented and said, "ok, I can say it once - Pistons suck!" and the crowd cheers :-)

and then he mentioned journalist/author Studs Terkel's book "Hope Dies Last" and encouraged us that we "still have game 7"... Thumbing My Way back to heaven was most appropo... can't remember which song he introduced the band members on, but intro Jeff as "and playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Jeff Ament"... at another point toward the end that i can't exactly pinpoint, Eddie said he hoped that the next event in this arena is a basketball game, and that received a huge cheer as well. ALIVE was off the hook, just totally phenomenal, and felt very much dedicated to Cleveland, since the Cavs are still alive heading into today's game 7. It was great to have PJ in town to console us after Friday's loss, and I think it would be most appropo if PJ can provide the same service to Detroit tomorrow night ;-)
    11/1/92, 10/30/93, 10/31/93, 11/7/95, 7/13/98, 10/21/00, 10/31/00, 10/21/01, 6/3/03, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 10/4/09
  • kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    Every show I've seen has been great. Each has been memorable. But, the Cleveland show last night is going to be special to me and its going to be tough to replace. I look forward to the eventuality that another show will become my favorite.

I was brought to tears twice during the show. I smiled the whole time. I screamed my lungs out. I laughed. The Betterman opener ... with the crowd singing the first verse ... was something I never imagined, but it was awesome and inspiring. That was the first time I teared up a little.

My friend's wife was at a show with us for the first time, and it's hard to explain why Pearl Jam shows are so important to us, why they make us crazy leading up to them, why we get like rabid dogs sniffing out hotels and tickets ... or, most importantly, how the shows can bring you to tears a little.

I think it's relatively simple: For that two and half or three hours, nothing else going on outside that arena really matters. We share the same concerns, sure, and they're always on the backs of our minds ... especially hearing the new songs live ... but while you standing before that band, a band you know is going to try to give you their best on any given night , you realize, IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!

The second time I choked up a little was during the Daughter tag. I've heard that Jones Beach boot so many times with the It's Okay tag, but never imagined I'd hear that live.

Other highlights that made the night so special:

* Eddie introduced the band and said something to the effect of "I know you guys sometimes don't think we're friends, but he's one of my best friends ... on guitar Stone Gossard." I'm paraphrasing, or quoting liberally, however you want to look at it. I'm going to check out the boot today. But I just got back.

* Jeff and Stone switching spots to play "Smile." That's a song I've never heard live before ... awesome. And Jeff did a great job with the lead solo on it. Man, they are incredible musicians.

* My Morning Jacket! Christ, I hoped I was going to dig these guys live. I love "Z," and dig a lot of their other stuff. They are an incredible band as well. And hearing Ed perform with them on the first song ... amazing!

* The "Q" seems to me, at least, to be a great venue. I didn't get 10C seats, I got shut out during the sale, and my seat was at the top of the club level, but it was still a great view. The only thing I really missed was being around people who do all the little things during songs. It took some prodding to get people in my section to start chanting "HEY! HEY! HEY" during Alive, for example.

* I noticed last night that there really seems to be a great mix of older fans and younger fans. The age scale ran all over the place, and I think that's right on. I saw some junior high age-ish kids with their parents, I saw older couples. A great mix. If people walk away from the shows feeling as good as I do, then bring 'em all on. There's enough Jam to go around. (Though, let's keep the 10C under our hats so that we still get tickets!)

I've got a day to recuperate, then it's up to Boston and back down to Philly. I'm hoping for a long Boston show and a longer Philly show. Two great PJ cities. And, oh, the merchandise at the shows is great, too. The poster was cool. They also were selling the wave background poster ... similar to the trees background "North America 2005" poster they sold in Canada. And the wave background poster was only $5.

I hope everyone had a blast last night, and got home safe today.

later on
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • drhammerdrhammer Posts: 20
    Made the journey from Hamilton, ON to Grand Rapids then on to Cleveland. I thought the setlist was great as usual, but I didn't think the crowd was that into it. If you noticed the end of the first set, Ed took off rather abruptly and the rest of the band looked a little confused, I think he ended the set early. If you looked around, a lot of the people in the 200's were sitting down... weaksauce! Definitely a lot more energy the night before in Grand Rapids. Of the 20-odd shows I've seen, this is not a stand-out show for me personally. Next up for us, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.
    2000 - Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003 - Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, State College, Columbus, Detroit x 2, Toronto
    2005 - Kitchener, Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto x 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Honolulu
    2008 - New York City x 2, Toronto x 2 (Ed)
  • vickdawgvickdawg Posts: 29
    Can someone tell me, does MMJ cover It Makes No Difference often? it's one of my favorite songs from The Band and i about passed out when i saw eddie had played it last night with MMJ.
    i'll wait for angels, but i won't hold my breath. imagine they're busy; think i'm doing okay.
  • MBaileyMBailey Posts: 4
    MMJ hasn't played It Makes No Difference recently. Unbelievable night by two excellent bands. Pearl Jam looked and sounded like they were having fun playing together. The new stuff brings an energy that is invigorating. I was also in the front row to the right of Stone. A couple of things stand out, at least for me. Ed and Mike standing right in front of us as Mike soared through his solo during Alive and Ed coming over and asking me if I'd like some wine. I had an empty cup so I raised it up and Ed poured me some, tilted the bottle towards me, we toasted, and off he goes. What a moment! My GF kept the cup. I thought Faithful was exceptional last night. The pre-show was a nifty surprise and Ed really sounded good with MMJ. Those guys can jam! Now we're on to Detroit and hoping for In Hiding.
  • stardog2012stardog2012 Posts: 16
    I thought the crowd in the lower bowl (including mid-level club sections) was totally rockin and into the show.... the 200 level peeps may have been another story, but I wasn't looking up there very much. But its something strange I've noticed recently about Cleveland... I lived in San Fran from 92-94 and 98-2003 and if a rocking band is playing in the Bay Area, the whole venue will be rockin... last month I saw the Strokes at the Cleveland Agora and the lower level was totally rocking out. But my girlfriend and I also spent some time in the balcony where 90% of the people were sitting down. I guess the upstairs peeps are just content to sit... i don't really get it, but i guess thats just how some cities are...
    11/1/92, 10/30/93, 10/31/93, 11/7/95, 7/13/98, 10/21/00, 10/31/00, 10/21/01, 6/3/03, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 10/4/09
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    vickdawg wrote:
    Can someone tell me, does MMJ cover It Makes No Difference often? it's one of my favorite songs from The Band and i about passed out when i saw eddie had played it last night with MMJ.

You and me both! I would've LOVED to hear that.
  • GilFisher wrote:
    MMJ hasn't played It Makes No Difference recently. Unbelievable night by two excellent bands. Pearl Jam looked and sounded like they were having fun playing together. The new stuff brings an energy that is invigorating. I was also in the front row to the right of Stone. A couple of things stand out, at least for me. Ed and Mike standing right in front of us as Mike soared through his solo during Alive and Ed coming over and asking me if I'd like some wine. I had an empty cup so I raised it up and Ed poured me some, tilted the bottle towards me, we toasted, and off he goes. What a moment! My GF kept the cup. I thought Faithful was exceptional last night. The pre-show was a nifty surprise and Ed really sounded good with MMJ. Those guys can jam! Now we're on to Detroit and hoping for In Hiding.

You guys were a couple seats down from me and my wife. I said to my wife after Ed filled your cup that I wished I had a cup.

Million dollar question: So was it a good wine?
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
    I'll rock a fanview.

Justin

woah...awesome fanview, dude. congrats on seeing the show!

• docwoo812docwoo812 Posts: 60
    My main story about Cleveland was that during the show (my 35th show in 17 years) me and my friend Geoff (section 123 row 6, directly to the left side of stage) met a couple of terrific ladies sitting behind us. We joked around all night, sang along to Pearl Jam, guessed which song was next on the setlist, etc.

During the song "Smile" one of my personal favorites I turned around to
    sing with Sara. We embrassed for most of the song, while we sang into each others ears. "... don't it make you smile... I miss you already... I miss you always...". It was a moving experience to share with a total stranger.
    During Ledbetter we embracced again and I told her she was beautiful and wished her a great life and that I hoped to see her again.

I told her I would always think off her when I heard "Smile" and she said her name was Sara. She is 40 with two sons (one who is 20 and was at the show I think) and this was her only show of the tour. Her friend was going to a few more shows. We shared stories about our kids (mines 13 and loves the Beastie Boys). I told her I was also 40 and drove out from Albany, NY for my 35th Pearl Jam show.

Since we live so far apart, I never thought to get her cell number or e-mail address. I went looking for her after the show but didn't find her.
    Apparently they were staying overnight and driving home the next day (a few hours away?). I've been thinking about that moment ever since and wonder if I will ever see her again...

Darryl R. (the guy with the Seattle/Pearl Jam 10 Basketball Jersey)
    Albany, NY
    Pearl Jam Shows: 11/05/91, 11/08/91, 11/16/91, 4/08/92, 5/09/92, 8/04/92, 8/07/92, 9/08/92, 8/18/93, 11/06/93, 11/07/93, 4/07/94, 4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/13/98, 8/27/00, 4/29/03, 5/02/03, 6/29/03, 7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/06/03, 7/11/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/01/04, 10/02/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/20/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/03/06, 8/05/07, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/10/10, 5/21/10, 9/07/11, 9/12/11, 9/14/11 & 9/15/11.
    Side Projects/Solo Shows: Brad 10/27/02, Eddie Vedder: 8/2/08, 6/8 & 6/9/09, 6/16/11 & 6/18/11.
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    OK, I will add my 2 cents...

We got to Cleveland on the friday before the show. We got in ar atound 7pm or so to the hotel. Thanks again Foxymop, the hotel thing worked out great and we owe you one. The Cavs and the Indians playing that night. Would have loved to have gotten into the game to watch a bit, apparantly someone had left 4 tickets to the game at the front desk. We missed out cause my wife and I were a little occupied beforehand. Anyways, we ended up walking around downtown Cleveland just as the Indians game got out. Wow was there a lot of people. All the bars and restaurants were packed and we were starving! We walked over to Fannery's just as the Cavs game ended. We did manage to get a seat in the restaurant and had some food. I went outside for a smoke just as a large group of people were trying to get a group picture. Some dumbass walks infront of them on a cellphone and stands there. They ask him to move and he doesnt. Then all hell broke loose. Pushing, shoving etc. I went back inside. As I sit down, this little g rapper homie kid starts dancing around like Mohammed Ali while grabbin his crotch. WTF! Anyways, he dances around this guy thats just kinda standing there watchin, then another guy jumps forewards and pops this poor bastard on the chin. We were about 5 feet away sitting behind the window in the restaurant. The guy got popped and just fell backwards like a chopped down tree. That was really something you don't see everyday. The guy must have been bombed out of his gourd cause he wasnt cut or bruised and he flopped around like a salmon outta water while trying to get up. Hows that for an introduction to Cleveland. heheh.

Anyhow. The next day we hung out at Flannery's before the show, I won the Touring van DVD in the raffle! Woot! After the draw we went to the show. I really wanted a poster and there was no reentry so my wife went in and I was gonna run them back to the hotel. 20 minutes later she comes back empty handed. Posters all sold out. :( I had to drop some stuff off at the hotel and I made a run back.

I got to our seats just in time to catch the preset of Last Kiss. not a fave of mine but I will say that Acoustic solo it is pretty fuckin sweet. MMJ... let me just say I am not really a fan. Something about their music just doesnt touch a nerve in me or something.

We didn't have 10c tickets cause we got shut out. TM tickets, section 128 row 7. in the far corner but it was pretty good.

Pearl Jam themselves. Lemme just start by saying this show fucking smoked the 2 other shows I have been to.

highlights for me......

Faithfull - right on. great to hear it live and it sounded fucking awesome.

Don't gimme no lip - I was dyin to hear this one live. I nearly went crazy when Ed said Stone was gonna sing and it was off Lost Dogs! W00T!

Smile - Fuck me sideways. I so wanted to hear this. It rocked.

Comatose - holy crap does this rock live. I nearly had a fit when they started into it. I nearly broke my neck I was rockin out so hard. Loved when Ed changed up the Piston lyric.

Gone - woooo! I love this song. Great live.

Fuckin Up - I nearly cried when they started in on this. I have been dying to hear this in person and it didnt dissapoint. I love this song and it rocked hard.

Still waiting to hear Hail Hail live but hey, there is always next tour.

One other thing I will say, the sound at the Q was awesome compared to Toronto night one.

-edited cause i forgot about fuckin up!
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    As Deeve said in the post above, the entire weekend in Cleveland ... it was like the city was on fire. Between the Cavs and everything else going on, the city was rocking non-stop. Friday night there were people everywhere. The bars were so packed, the crowds poured out into the sidewalks, where people were standing against the windows with the hands cupped over their eyes to see the game on TVs inside. There were fireworks after the Indians game that echoed off the buildings ... it sounded like a war zone! It was just an incredible weekend.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    kidapollo wrote:
    As Deeve said in the post above, the entire weekend in Cleveland ... it was like the city was on fire. Between the Cavs and everything else going on, the city was rocking non-stop. Friday night there were people everywhere. The bars were so packed, the crowds poured out into the sidewalks, where people were standing against the windows with the hands cupped over their eyes to see the game on TVs inside. There were fireworks after the Indians game that echoed off the buildings ... it sounded like a war zone! It was just an incredible weekend.

The fireworks was awesome! I couldnt believe how much they lit off. We were in the hotel and just about to leave when they started. We walked over to the window and watched for a couple of minutes, took the elevator down and walked outside and it was still going on. I moved my car to a better spot in the lot and walked around the front of the hotel and it was still going on! Holy crap that was impressive. The streets were filled with smoke!
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    just to let you guys know I have put up some of your stories on my site... if you see your story and dont want it up, just let me know...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07