Options

Dear Pearl Jam, let's re-think this whole GA thing..

Comments

• Options
    I only went to one show this year and it was Portland and I was in GA. Waited out in the line most of the day and had a blast. Got basically second row between Ed and Stone and had an incredible time. Only got pushed once in 3 hours. I stood behind some shorter ladies so it seemed like I was right there on the rail. I respected my space and everyone around me did the same. We all had enough room to raise our arms at the appropriate times and bounce around to the music.

I've been lucky enough to be 3rd row twice in the past in seated seats, and by far I had more fun in GA. It's just a lot more energy and you actually get to know some of your neighbors. Of coarse I'm starting to get older, and it damn near wiped me out. But if I were to do another show with GA right away, I just would have entered late and hung out at the back of the pit and still had a blast.

Also I'm a bigger guy and in floor seats I'm always concerned that people behind me can't see. In GA if there is someone who you can't see over then you just move. It's not like a short person is just stuck with their fate of where the ticket gods put them.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I wonder how many more tickets pearl jam sells when they have a GA pit? Times that number by $80, and that's yet another reason why PJ should be liking this GA pit thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I wonder how many more tickets pearl jam sells when they have a GA pit? Times that number by $80, and that's yet another reason why PJ should be liking this GA pit thing.

Good point. I was wondering about that myself.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    let's see... the band just finishes what is easily their most awesome US tour in many, many years...epic shows, most of them 3 hour marathons with the energy and force like they were 20 years younger than they are. Think GA crowds and the great energy on the floor played into it at all? You bet yur ass it did :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Go for reserved seats next time. Let those who enjoy the GA section enjoy it :)

Haha. There are assholes there too. My buddy was in a seat and 2 rows ahead of him a lady did 20 pounds of puke. They cleaned it but the smell remained. .

My point is yes assholes r every where but at least my buddy didnt have to stand in line for 8 hours only to be packe in a tight area and stand for another 7 hours.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    The only thing I think needs to be re-thought is the amenities..

Make food, drink, heat or a/c , and restrooms very easily accessible for all of those willing to wait in line.

If I knew I would be comfortable, could get a water or a beer, a kick ass sandwich, and take a dump without having to go more than 10 feet away from the line.. I would totally be there..

but as it is, some people want to roast or freeze, starve or be dehydrated, just for a shot at the rail..

Let em do it! .. and kudos to them for gutting it out! :D (the ones who do, not just get on some list and bolt for 8 hours)

Me personally, I love GA! and since I dont need a pick, a drink of wine, a tambourine, or anyone in the bands attention or eye contact , I will hang out with all the party people at the pre-party and hit the venue when it says the doors open. I have never been further than 10 people away from the stage and that is great!! what a great way to see a show.. I can dance without some seat in the way, I can find people I know and party with them.. GA is all around just better!!! fuck seats!!!! seats are made for sitting.. and if you want to sit, that is why they made arenas in a sloped bowl shape.. go sit up there!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Went to one show in Oakland and at 8pm you could easily squeeze in to row 3 of ga (which is like row 2 if they kept reserved). I chose to hang out back with a TON dancing room and still 15 ft from the stage. GA was so much better than reserved I can't even fathom going back.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    NHiding wrote:
    let's see... the band just finishes what is easily their most awesome US tour in many, many years...epic shows, most of them 3 hour marathons with the energy and force like they were 20 years younger than they are. Think GA crowds and the great energy on the floor played into it at all? You bet yur ass it did :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    perfectly said
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Personally if I wasn't on this forum and turned up early to queue and didn't know about the list and suddenly at doors 50 people swooped in front of me I would definitely kick off.

Regardless of that list / getting on the barrier to suck a band member off crap, GA works and its been amazing. For 2/4 shows I caught I had GA and it was incredible. Swanned in at 7:30 after being in the bar and was 20 rows from the front. With my 65 y/o mum we've never been that close at full floor GA in Europe as it gets really tight for about 50 rows from front.

If you don't want to stand for 3 hours then get a seat. Its not rocket science.
    Complaining about being in GA when you knew what you were getting is akin to going to a gig and complaining that its too loud.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    shortstack wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I personally hate the GA system.

It (for the most part) rewards survival of the fittest / tallest.

And it's another stab , push back of folks who have seniority.

And I almost wince at admitting I have seniority. We seem to be the new "smokers " everybody hates us, band bends backwards to make sure we have limited ticket benefits lately.

We've already got the lottery for rows 1-2 ; 9&10.

Now we have another "Lottery" just to get "any" ticket.

That's fine, I get the bands desire for "fairness" but I think a permanent GA relegates anyone under 6 feet (and not wanting to "camp out" the entire pre-show) to the side loge.

I know, I know "wah, wah, wah"....

i wish more people with seniority would speak up. :thumbup:

...and i have never actually read anything the band has officially announced that they changed it to GA for "fairness". it's all speculation around here. university of michigan football has recently done something similar to students with seniority seating. sounds more like a money thing to me.

Hopefully next tour is reserved only.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    seniority is irrelevant. nobody cares, including the band, how long youve been in the club. you get your perk by getting phenomenal reserved seats.

So you start your post by saying that seniority is irrelevant, then you continue on to say how seniority is relevant because it gets you phenomenal reserved seats. :?

Again, the middle numbered 10C members get screwed here. [In general] Only the most senior members get these irrelevant phenomenal seats you refer to, which they most likely want. The new/young members get to be up front in GA and are happy they can "jump" those who have been in the club for many years. Those in the middle who were finally starting to get decent seats, but who have no interest in GA tickets now get moved back by a bunch of less senior members. That's not fair at all. Below are 3 suggestions to move things in the right direction:

1) Get rid of GA
    2) Move the GA pit to the back of the floor
    3) Distribute GA tickets by seniority.
  • Options
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funniest thing I've read on here in ages
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The leave your name on a list and go back to your hotel, or drink all day and show up right before doors open for your 24th spot sharpied on your hand is disrespectful to anyone over the age of FOUR who understands how a line works.

From my right next to the stage seats on the Mike side, the back of that 2/3s full mini Charlottesville general admission area looked like heaven.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    MG79478 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funniest thing I've read on here in ages

Only because you lack vision. Make the back half of the floor GA Pit. It's a win for nearly everyone.

- There are more tickets to sell, more people can see PJ, PJ makes more money.
    - Seniority would actually matter as it should, as the most senior members get the best seats.
    - Drunk idiots would still have a place to be drunk idiots.
    - There would be no more line drama because no one would wait in line all day for a rear GA pit.

Obviously just eliminating GA is the preferable path, that's why it's listed as #1.
  • Options
    It's a rock concert, there isn't supposed to be space in GA. I've been to shows where you are so packed that your feet don't even touch the ground. The list thing is complete bs but to get rid of GA would be an awful idea. This is the best thing they have done in years and it's not like their fans are 20-25 years old anymore moshing up front.

There is so much more energy with GA that if they go back it will look lame.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    SomeySomey Posts: 121
    Now that the tour is over and I have read many things about GA and experienced it myself ~ let's call it the experiment of 2013 and go back to rows of seats.

My own experience and have read the same situations over and over.. you get there early, you line up.. there is BS about a "list" ~ people get pissed that you have to have some number on your hand.. so you go along with it because hell you want to get in at number 113 and not 183! You are told we will all line up in one single line and enter this way and then when they call for the doors to be open and there is actually going to be three lines and all hell breaks loose and your number on your hand did not mean crap.. the only people whose numbers seemed to matter were like the first 30 or so.

So you get in the doors and it is a mad scramble to the floor and then you stand for an hour and half ~ waiting for the opening act.. you are already packed in like sardines in a little tin can.. and you know it will only get worst. Standing for 1.5 hours with no entertainment you can start to feel your back or feet saying "yeah ~ right this is going to happen for three more hours.."

Finally the music begans and you realize hey Mudhoney is ok.. and then some asshole decides to push his way into the crowd.. elblowing your neighbor in the face.. hitting the person you came with in the back of the head.. and then it begins.. you are dealing with assholes for the rest of the night trying to push their way up.. they are usually heavily intoxicated and usually some of the biggest jerks you have ever encountered. It makes one wonder what we both see in this band that we both apparently like because these guys are prime jackasses.. they consistantly try getting up closer.. one yells "this is not a reserved concert, this is GA motherfuckers ~ DEAL with it"! This goes on until he decides he needs another beer.. but we all now he will be back during Even Flow!

So, you are doing your best to try enjoy this band you love.. but it is getting hotter and hotter and the oxygen level is less and less and you find you are having kind of a hard time breathing in the packed sardine can because you are packed in so tight to the stage.. You are skin to skin on all for sides of you.. personal space goes out the window.. is this really fun? is this really what adults do?

PLEASE PEARL JAM GIVE US BACK OUR ROWED SEATS! It worked well for years and years.. you could spend the morning in line and meet other fans while you waited for your tickets, you could then go experience some of the town you were in or at least get some dinner.. there was none of this other crap that I experienced at this last show.

I know I am one person, with one opinion but I know I have read other peoples posts that have been similar to mine.. let our voices be heard!

NO TO GA!!!!!

Boo to you, you said is this what adults do? First you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You had plenty of years with good reserved seats while the high numbers suffered. The person said it best you could put in for reserved if you don't like the GA. But I'm positive that is one of the best experiences in my life, and it's deff not dangerous, that's not true at all. I was breathing fine. Yes it is tight, it has always been any band that has a GA. Just sounds like your getting old buddy and lazy.
    Somey

E.V. - United Palace Theater 08/05/2008
    E.V. - Beacon Theater 1 & 2
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    its a good system to do once in awhile....just not every tour... :nono:
  • Options
    n8dawg79n8dawg79 Virginia Posts: 129
    If we are going to discuss the merits of the GA Pit, it must be noted that the pit was crucial to at least a few concerts on this tour, most specifically the Charlottesville concert. Without the pit, and the fan interaction, I am convinced that the Charlottesville show would not have been as good as it was.

The experiences in that GA pit were what make Pearl Jam shows great. I am sure EVERYONE in that pit has some sort of story from that show, if you don't believe me, head over the the Charlottesville fan view thread.

The other big benefit of GA is that people can choose what part of the stage they want to be in front of. Those who want to see Ed up close can pack the middle, McCreadians can whoop it up in McCreadyville, etc. It is a GREAT to have GA back.
    Salt Lake City, Utah - Sept 28, 2009
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 3. 2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 4, 2011
    Charlottesville, Virginia - Oct 29, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia - Apr 18, 2016
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
    Just my $0.02 here:

I was @ the Buffalo show. I got front row centre because of GA. I went early... cause that's what you do if you want to get close.

The list thing.. yes. It's silly. You get there early. You get a spot. That's it.

Not much has changed in terms of going to GA shows. If you've never been (to a GA show) and this bothered you, then buy reserved seating next time. I don't understand how so many people were surprised and/or had a bad time because of GA.

That said... Buffalo being my 29th show... it was one of, if not THE best because of my proximity to the stage. No doubt. The PJ camp gave options. GA or Reserved. Not sure why there were so many reported 'problems.'

Hopefully this opinion does not ruffle too many feathers. :) Cheers
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    Keep GA

People with low 10C numbers had plenty of opportunities to be close to the stage. Now make them earn it.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I don't want GA tickets myself but I have no problem with the shift to it the band has made. These shows were some of the best in years. GA and the new faces at the rail are one of the reasons why. (I would argue the decision to open many shows without an opening act and the FACT ;) that Lightning Bolt is a much better record than Backspacer also contributed.)

What needs to happen is that we as fans need to reject the bullshit list. If some dude who you have not seen for hours or all day shows up with a number written on his hand and tries to get in front of you DO NOT LET HIM!! We all have smart phones. Start taking pictures of these line jumpers. Post their pictures here. Many of them will be known. Shame these people and let others know to be on the lookout for them. Make it as hard as possible for this stunt to be pulled off and it will happen less and less.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    ok,...I take back what I said....how bout every other tour they do GA...

cause I am totally with this post....easily half the the first 50 shows I went to back in the day....
    damn right, ....feet wouldn't be touching the floor for easily have the show as us packed like sardines was scary as hell...but you did it to see the band up close....and boy when that crowd would shift...Yikes, I can feel it now...you have no idea unless you been there....that crowd shifting 5 feet to the left when your feet are barely touching....its frightening but awesome at the same time...and the few times I did get the rail back then,...I do not miss the massive bruises on my front hip bones from the front rail when the crowd would shift....
    41 years old now and if I had to do it all over again.....Have to say I wouldn't change a thing...

Naturally some cities are going to be a little bit more rowdier/ drunk than others...but basically the GA at a pj show these days is about as safe as you can get it....which is good...kids nowadays get their cool ass iphones and shit...cause the days of true GA are far and few between...

Peace

It's a rock concert, there isn't supposed to be space in GA. I've been to shows where you are so packed that your feet don't even touch the ground. The list thing is complete bs but to get rid of GA would be an awful idea. This is the best thing they have done in years and it's not like their fans are 20-25 years old anymore moshing up front.

There is so much more energy with GA that if they go back it will look lame.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:

Only because you lack vision. Make the back half of the floor GA Pit. It's a win for nearly everyone.

- There are more tickets to sell, more people can see PJ, PJ makes more money.
    - Seniority would actually matter as it should, as the most senior members get the best seats.
    - Drunk idiots would still have a place to be drunk idiots.
    - There would be no more line drama because no one would wait in line all day for a rear GA pit.

Obviously just eliminating GA is the preferable path, that's why it's listed as #1.

Vision........nah you lack any idea of what makes a good show and are only thinking of number 1.

-If you wanna have more tickets to sell then make the whole floor GA. Squeezing more people in for money is not something I think they care about these days anyway.
    -I don't believe in seniority. I've been a fan since the start, just because I've always had very little money and couldn't afford to pay in for 10c, does that mean I'm supposed to sit in the gods with all the other "non PJ loving" peasants. GA gives EVERYONE a chance, also it means the first 3/6 rows aren't full of people yawning because its their 97th show and they might finally hear bugs.
    -Drunk idiots are everywhere, front row, back row, GA.
    -I agree about line drama, but that doesn't affect me because I don't need to see up the band members noses when I see them play and taste the wine like some weird quasi-religious cult.

The idea of a general admission back end of the arena is just so comical and pointless.

No one is ever going to be pleased with what this band does. I think GA, even the first third is a step in the right direction as they know how crazy Euro and S American shows get when the whole floor is GA.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125
    I seriously wonder if some people never go to any other shows. It's like GA at a PJ show is some radical concept that doesn't happen at any other concert.

People complaining about how it is "unsafe" ... I would suggest it is perfectly safe based on how many people were injured (i.e. none, I think) during the tour.

From my seats I could see that the GA area had plentiful room if you thought it was too tightly packed up front. It was maybe 2/3 full, if that. I don't understand why people *must* be up front. It is actually better to be back a bit, the sound in an arena will be much better, plus you get to take in a bit more of the light/stage show. And you're still really close.

If you don't like it, then why put in for GA and then complain about it? I was shut out of GA and made do with reserved. These were still awesome seats to enjoy the show from. Go and sit in those and leave the GA to people who aren't going to whinge about it.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Being in the GA was awesome!! And I didn't even need to wait in line! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Chairs on the floor is for Elton John concerts. Keep PJ GA!
  • Options
    Chairs on the floor is for Elton John concerts. Keep PJ GA!

:DGeorge-Costanza-clapping.gif
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Alfonz wrote:
    I seriously wonder if some people never go to any other shows. It's like GA at a PJ show is some radical concept that doesn't happen at any other concert.

People complaining about how it is "unsafe" ... I would suggest it is perfectly safe based on how many people were injured (i.e. none, I think) during the tour.

From my seats I could see that the GA area had plentiful room if you thought it was too tightly packed up front. It was maybe 2/3 full, if that. I don't understand why people *must* be up front. It is actually better to be back a bit, the sound in an arena will be much better, plus you get to take in a bit more of the light/stage show. And you're still really close.

If you don't like it, then why put in for GA and then complain about it? I was shut out of GA and made do with reserved. These were still awesome seats to enjoy the show from. Go and sit in those and leave the GA to people who aren't going to whinge about it.

As I pointed out earlier, that's a major cop out, and I've seen no facts to dispute it.
  • Options
    the band made it choice ..the tour happened as they want..and the next one will happen as they want...
    as i said before,now after so many fans saw eddie and mike do their things in front of their face try to convince them to go back t...yeah right.. :lol:

and just look around

95% of tickets trades are people want to give their seated tix for GA...