Binaural/Riot Act

WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Can we talk about how completely underrated yet incredibly amazing these albums are?
446927_artist.jpg?0119
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Riot Act=Very good record

Binaural=Their best record
  • I listen to Binaural constantly...
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    No, because they're not underrated or amazing.
  • Binaural, No Code, Vitalogy all run neck and neck for me as their masterpiece. Love it!

Riot Act is great too and, you are right, severely underrated. My fave PJ tune comes off this record, Live Boat Captain.
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • God, yes. Let's please do that. My name may give you a hint as to how big a Binaural fan I am. Those two albums are simply incredible. And my first and only PJ show I got I am mine, THUMBING MY WAY, grievance, and SLEIGHT OF HAND. Sleight and You Are are songs that changed my life. I could talk for hours about those albums.
    1st and only show so far:
    Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101
    they are not underrated for me :)

Binaural the best PJ album. Three songs are in my top10 songs (Insignificance, Grievance, Parting Ways) and then of course NAIS, Light Years, Soon Forget, Rival, Breakerfall, Sleight, Of the girl, are all great songs (only evacuation is not a very good one imo).

I was surprised to see Riot Act very low (most of the times at the bottom) of other fans preferences in another thread. its a great album too, it has some mysterious vibe, a little bit dark i think. Save you, Green disease, I am Mine, Bushleaguer, 1/2 full are my favorite songs from it but also LBC, Ghost, Can't Keep, You Are are amazing.

i wish they'd play more of these albums live. it seems in this tour they play maximum 3-4 from both total...
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I have to admit I fell off the pj wagon when these two albums were released. Thanks to a friend- he got me back into it all with avocado... Anyway, never really gave them much of a listen even though I eventually got around to
    It. I like a few tracks off them but I definitely don't think they're a few of the best. Forced by nature as they were completing their contract with sony, they sound all alike and just, well, forced. NAIS and a few others are just pure awesome though I have to agree. I'm in the hunt for them on vinyl, the last 2 I need. Then I'll appreciate them more I'm sure. Spin, spin!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Been spinning my own version of Binaural lastly. I mixed in the lost dogs tracks that were left off Binaural. I'm very fond of this period in the band's career. Before the dark days of Riot Act and the 4 year wait for Avocado. Easily som of their best material in the 2000's and the 2000 tour will always be special for me.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    These 2 seem to go hand and hand with most people but Binaural is my #1 and Riot Act is my #10 and both of them aren't even close (ok maybe backspacer is pretty close :lol: )
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103

I don't even know what to say.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I've been pretty big on Binaural for a few years but just recently realized that I had been ignoring Riot Act.

Just an amazing album. I put both of them above No Code
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I can't stand the albums but I think the songs are good live.
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    God, yes. Let's please do that. My name may give you a hint as to how big a Binaural fan I am. Those two albums are simply incredible. And my first and only PJ show I got I am mine, THUMBING MY WAY, grievance, and SLEIGHT OF HAND. Sleight and You Are are songs that changed my life. I could talk for hours about those albums.

Yeah I think we've talked before about the lyrics of "Sleight of Hand". Man I love that song. :thumbup:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    i think they should play more songs of these albums on tour dont understand why they dont
    danny d
  • WhyGo91 wrote:
    God, yes. Let's please do that. My name may give you a hint as to how big a Binaural fan I am. Those two albums are simply incredible. And my first and only PJ show I got I am mine, THUMBING MY WAY, grievance, and SLEIGHT OF HAND. Sleight and You Are are songs that changed my life. I could talk for hours about those albums.

Yeah I think we've talked before about the lyrics of "Sleight of Hand". Man I love that song. :thumbup:
    Oh dang that was us! Haha I'm just obsessive with the way some of these songs speak to me...I know we all have songs like that
    1st and only show so far:
    Charlottesville, VA 10/29/2013

"He who forgets will be destined to remember."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Binaural: A great album that still hasn't clicked for me. Some day it's probably just gonna sneak up on me and knock me on my ass. :D

Riot Act: At first I didn't care for it all. It took time for it to get under my skin and seep into my brain. It's now very high on my list- one of my very favorites. To me, an amazing album.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I can't stand the albums but I think the songs are good live.

I wouldn't say I can't stand the albums because both offer some really great songs. On the other hand, both offer some of the worst songs in PJs catalogue.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Binaural and Riot Act are my favorite PJ albums. I am completely baffled as to why Binaural and RA aren't loved by all. I think they're genius. I don't feel like there is a bad song on either album, and many of them are top of my list for PJ songs. Binaural has a slight edge for me because Green Disease doesn't quite fit musically on RA IMO (even though the song's meaning does), but they are both desert island albums for me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Binaural is a masterpiece and RA is very close to it, a great album. Grievance and Insignificance are 2 of my favorites.

People tend to pair these 2 albums but I think RA is closer to Avocado. Binaural gives more of No Code taste to me.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • AponeApone Posts: 575
    Agreed.

Binaural is in my top 3 albums and Riot Act is also a classic.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • YES!!! Riot act is my favourite album, I just think its amazing n so moody n atmospheric. Cant believe the hate this album gets. Binaural isn't one of my favourites but I have been listening to it a lot more lately and it certainly isn't a bad album n I'm in love with Light years and Sleight of hand.
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    jumbojet wrote:

People tend to pair these 2 albums but I think RA is closer to Avocado. Binaural gives more of No Code taste to me.

Boom! Very well said.
    jumbojet wrote:
    Binaural is a masterpiece and RA is very close to it, a great album. Grievance and Insignificance are 2 of my favorites.

I find Binaural and RA to be more similar because I consider them to be PJ's darkest and moodiest albums. I tend to think of them together.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I LOVE Riot Act...great record...

Binaural is good....but overrated....
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    thefixer9 wrote:

Binaural is not overrated.... Kind of the point of the thread. Many of us think it's underrated. :lol:;)
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Binaural is not overrated.... Kind of the point of the thread. Many of us think it's underrated. :lol:;)

:lol: I like the approach to the album but many songs on it (Rival, Insignifance, Soon Forget, Evacuation) I just don't get into as much as eveyone else...

Riot Act is top notch though! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

I find Binaural and RA to be more similar because I consider them to be PJ's darkest and moodiest albums. I tend to think of them together.

Agreed. I think they're both darker and they are both during a period where PJ wasn't at a big peak with their fan base I think. That for me is a reason i think that those 2 albums are overlooked. Like it was said by Mike in PJ20, he thought that Binaural was the period where they felt like they lost a majority of the fan base.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
    WhyGo91 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

Agreed. I think they're both darker and they are both during a period where PJ wasn't at a big peak with their fan base I think. That for me is a reason i think that those 2 albums are overlooked. Like it was said by Mike in PJ20, he thought that Binaural was the period where they felt like they lost a majority of the fan base.
    Yes, and God knows why, since it's their best album. :D
  • I used to think Riot Act was slightly better, but Binaural has aged very well. Better than Riot Act. I think stuff like Rival, God's Dice and Breakerfall need a serious revival on the tour.
    Houston 10/15/00
    Dallas 06/09/03
    Austin 10/04/09
    Dallas 11/15/12. EV solo
    Dallas 11/15/13
    Oklahoma City 11/16/13
  • Binaural and Riot Act are my least favorite Pearl Jam albums. That's not to say they're bad or missteps or anything like that.

On a side note: That's the amazing thing about PJ's career. How many regrettable music decisions have they made in 23 years? I don't think they have a cringe-worthy major release. You can nitpick some of the leftovers on Lost Dogs, but the fact those songs went unreleased argues *in favor* of the band's editing ear.

Anyway, back to Binaural and Riot Act. Possible explanations as to why those albums, for me, don't measure up.

1. Fatigue. The band had been writing, recording and touring at a frenetic pace since they broke through in 1992. They released seven full-length LPs from August 1991 to November 2002, essentially one every other year, possibly to satisfy contract terms with Sony/Epic. They've released three LPs in the subsequent 11 years.

2. The production for Binaural and Riot Act do not sound as vibrant. Many have noted Ed's low-energy or unenthusiastic vocal delivery on Riot Act, but I think the arrangements during this period also are—perhaps intentionally—more subdued . . .

3. As a result, neither record produced a true live anthem. For example, they played Sleight Of Hand, I Am Mine and Save Your four times each in 25 dates on the fall tour, and those were the *most frequently played* songs from Binaural and Riot Act.

4. A documented case of writer's block contributed to E.V. writing fewer lyrics during this period in the band's history. This is not a knock on the other band members, but more of an endorsement of Ed. His lyrics are a huge appeal for me as a long-time fan of the band (back to fall 1992).

Lyric writing credits for Binaural include three for Stone (Thin Air, Of The Girl, Rival) and two for Jeff (Gods' Dice, Nothing As It Seems). That's nearly 40% of the album's lyrics not written by Ed. Similar deal with Riot Act, where lyric credits are broken down as two for Matt (You Are, Get Right), one and a half for Jeff (Help Help, half-credit for Ghost) and two half-credits for Stone (All Or None, Bushleaguer). This is nearly one-third of the album not written by E.V.**

Number of lyrics not written by Ed on the last three albums: One. That would be Inside Job, by Mike.

4. What always strikes me about the 2000 through 2002 period is that the songs that DIDN'T make Binaural or Riot Act. How awesome would an album with these songs be? Sad, Fatal, Undone, Down, Other Side, In the Moonlight, Education, Strangest Tribe, Drifting . . . those are the b-sides and outtakes from that period.

** According to the PJ20 book, the lyric-share situation developed organically when Ed asked other band members to contribute complete song ideas—both music and lyrics. Those compositions would be the most likely to be demoed and recorded. The presence of the songs by Jeff (Low Light, Pilate) and Stone (No Way, All Those Yesterdays) on Yield seems to support this theory.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville