They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    id be behind this 100%

why take photos when the bands photographer posts up 1000% better ones almost overnight.

Exactly!! Invest in the band's photographers to take as much photos as they can from all sides of the stage & inside the arena. And just don't post a few photos online. Post dozens of them. Make them available for viewing here for paying 10club members. It would be a treat.
    I don't care about photos. I just want individual song performances posted on youtube. I don't want to have to buy a CD of an entire show. That would suck, and I already spend enough money on this band. They should let us have SOMETHING for free.

The band owes its fans NOTHING. The entitlement mentality is an ugly attribute.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Exactly!! Invest in the band's photographers to take as much photos as they can from all sides of the stage & inside the arena. And just don't post a few photos online. Post dozens of them. Make them available for viewing here for paying 10club members. It would be a treat.
    I don't care about photos. I just want individual song performances posted on youtube. I don't want to have to buy a CD of an entire show. That would suck, and I already spend enough money on this band. They should let us have SOMETHING for free.

The band owes its fans NOTHING. The entitlement mentality is an ugly attribute.
    If you knew me at all around here, you would know that I don't have the entitlement mentality at all and do not think that PJ owes us anything. All I meant is that I'd like to be able to watch vids from shows without having to buy a DVD, and therefore it's good that people can film and post on youtube. Sheeeeesh. :roll:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    hard-to-argue-with-that-29.jpg?w=500&h=356
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    Are there any arena's still out there that block phone signals? I know a few shopping stores that when you enter their store you loose your phone signal.

One thing I wished & I've talked about it for a while now is why can't Pearl Jam "officially" release all their live show's in a sweet CD/DVD combo package? Like what The Who did year's back. Also add, higher more professional photographers at the show's. Sell the prints online if you like or include them with our digital downloads, like what they offered back with Basecamp during the '05 & '06 day's.

This is what's happening @ Pearl Jam show's today ...

BaPdXho.jpg?1

Kinda shocked that aren't any iPads in that photo.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Are there any arena's still out there that block phone signals? I know a few shopping stores that when you enter their store you loose your phone signal.

One thing I wished & I've talked about it for a while now is why can't Pearl Jam "officially" release all their live show's in a sweet CD/DVD combo package? Like what The Who did year's back. Also add, higher more professional photographers at the show's. Sell the prints online if you like or include them with our digital downloads, like what they offered back with Basecamp during the '05 & '06 day's.

BaPdXho.jpg?1

I don't think blocking a phone signal would affect the camera on a phone. People just wouldn't be able to use the internet or talk on the phone or receive messages.... which would be really terrible for all kinds of reasons (parents out of touch with their babysitters, friends out of touch of each other if they lost one another, no set list relays, etc).
    But the people who spend a show looking into their phone's screens are total fucking idiots.. I don't understand what most of them are getting out of it. I'd say one out of two hundred people ever do anything useful with the footage, i.e. post it to you tube.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    lol...
    BinFrog wrote:
    That wasn't a screen.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Every time I go to a concert I'm behind someone holding their phone up in my line of view and recording video - so instead of watching the show I'm watching a video recording of the show. I usually stay patient at first, but will start yelling "Put your phone down" if it starts to go on for too long.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    2011 in Philly on the EV tour Eddie got so pissed after the first song he stopped, angrily said he was being blinded, posed for 30-45 seconds for "everyone to get their picture" then said any more flashes and I or your phone are outta here :lol:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

I don't think blocking a phone signal would affect the camera on a phone. People just wouldn't be able to use the internet or talk on the phone or receive messages.... which would be really terrible for all kinds of reasons (parents out of touch with their babysitters, friends out of touch of each other if they lost one another, no set list relays, etc).
    But the people who spend a show looking into their phone's screens are total fucking idiots.. I don't understand what most of them are getting out of it. I'd say one out of two hundred people ever do anything useful with the footage, i.e. post it to you tube.

Agreed. I don't mind taking a few photos, but taking video of songs is ridiculous. The photo above though is probably misleading as it looks like a rare moment where all four band members are together and people wanted to snap a few photos. Even Mike and Jeff have cameras with them during shows. It is a 2.5 hour show.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I use a small camera. I take a good amount of pictures as well but I always think of people behind me. I snap four to five quick pictures and put the camera away for a few songs. I take one or two videos. But I keep the camera at my eye level and not above my head. Of course it helps I stand 6'5" so I can do this. I also don't do GA so in the seats the person behind me should still be able to see.

When I take video I make sure it's not in the people behind me viewing lane. As I know as song is at least 3 minutes and they don't want to see my screen that long. But banning phones and cameras is like trying to ban beer from the shows it won't happen.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

Agreed. I don't mind taking a few photos, but taking video of songs is ridiculous. The photo above though is probably misleading as it looks like a rare moment where all four band members are together and people wanted to snap a few photos. Even Mike and Jeff have cameras with them during shows. It is a 2.5 hour show.
    That's true... No way does it look like that for the whole show. Also, SOMEONE needs to film it.... how else am I going to watch it on youtube? :P But three are usually what? Maybe two vids of each song max from any given show on youtube? Everyone else can put down the damn cameras and enjoy the show!
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

Absolutely horrible! :fp:

This photo won 'Photo of the Year' in a swedish magazine with the motivation:

"1960s Beatlemania or Yohio hysteria 2013. This photograph shows the music unadulterated impact on young people's liberation. The photographer has the clean and stylish composition not only captured a moment of audience ecstasy and devotion with mobile cameras ready to shoot - this year's music photo is as much a timeless document of the power of music as an image of our time."

Gaffa2013.png
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    ban them. 99% of the videos on youtube suck, anyway. as do your cherished pictures you take from the 30th row :x

the other night I sat behind some dumbfuck who was shazamming all the songs in the new RUSH movie :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    imalive wrote:
    ban them. 99% of the videos on youtube suck, anyway. as do your cherished pictures you take from the 30th row :x

the other night I sat behind some dumbfuck who was shazamming all the songs in the new RUSH movie :roll:
    I think there are a lot of really good videos on youtube from every show.... Also, there is no possible way to ban phones. They can't confiscate them, and they can't ask people not to bring them. The best they can do is for the band to just ask everyone to keep their phones in their pockets, post signs about not taking pics with phones at the entrances, and ask security to ask folks to put the phone away when they can, and then hope for the best.... and I will hope that security isn't so tight that a few can't get good footage for youtube! ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    jw234911jw234911 annapolis maryland Posts: 255
    I got great HD video and Dolby digital sound with a camera will put up someday my computer crashed
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    demetrios wrote:

BaPdXho.jpg?1

Craziest thing about this picture is- I count 11 people holding up a phone...All 11 people are not even looking at the stage that sits 10-15 feet in front of them! I was that close at Wrigley and there was no way in hell I was going to stare at a tiny little screen when it was all unfolding right in front of me! I DO NOT understand how someone gets lucky enough to be this close and would want to take that sight in through a phone.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Who gives a shit? Enjoy yourself and don't worry because someone you don't even know has their phone out at a concert.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Who gives a shit? Enjoy yourself and don't worry because someone you don't even know has their phone out at a concert.
    Worcester 2. The people (4 girls and 1 guy) in front of me took photos through almost the entire snow. I don't mind if you want to snap photos in between songs or in encores. these people were taking photos mid song throughout the entire first set and it was very distracting. The dude was taking his flash and using it as a fucking spotlight.

I should of said something but I didn't. I just inhaled the second hand weed smoke from the guy behind me and got over it.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Worcester 2. The people (4 girls and 1 guy) in front of me took photos through almost the entire snow. I don't mind if you want to snap photos in between songs or in encores. these people were taking photos mid song throughout the entire first set and it was very distracting. The dude was taking his flash and using it as a fucking spotlight.

I should of said something but I didn't. I just inhaled the second hand weed smoke from the guy behind me and got over it.

+1 It is damn near impossible to ignore some asshole who is holding up his smartphone directly in front of you through the entire show. I'd much rather look directly at the stage than stare at the stage through your phone's screen. There have been a couple of shows where I've wanted to take the person's phone and chuck it across the venue.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:

+1 It is damn near impossible to ignore some asshole who is holding up his smartphone directly in front of you through the entire show. I'd much rather look directly at the stage than stare at the stage through your phone's screen. There have been a couple of shows where I've wanted to take the person's phone and chuck it across the venue.
    So when you politely asked them to stop holding their phone up because it was blocking your view what did they say??
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I'll have my iPhone in one hand and point-and-shoot camera in the other. I'll taking at least 1,000 shots and filming each song. I'm also going to be setting up a boom mic so I'l be able to get all of the sounds.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    I'm thinking of making a game out it at the next show I attend. Bring a suction cup gun with a ton of darts and see how many phones you can hit.
    CEFB06EB-FA4A-451C-A883-5EC2F33BE4FC-1877-0000017EC5C59C9A.jpg

bonus points for hitting the same ipad repeatedly! :-D
    "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." Charles De Mar.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,867
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Those God-damn phones! Ha ha!!
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,767
    Two days ago at a Wolfmother show in a ~500 person venue: Pokemon Go.

During the show. Playing Pokemon, phone aimed at stage. Not even taking pics.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,147
    I use my phone to snap a few pictures of a show (if I have good seats, otherwise it's pointless because there's no optical zoom on a phone). I try to be cognisant of the poeple behind me. If you start filing entire songs, that's a whole song the person behind you can't see because you're holding your camera up.

I thought I read about these yellow magnetic bags or something that were being trialed at some concerts. You put your phone in one, and when you enter the venue the signal causes it to lock. You keep the phone on your person, and when you leave the signal lets the bag open. You have possession of your phone the whole time but you can't use it.... Sounds like effort, but not a bad idea.
  • Options
    BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    The TMR show was great...you were allowed to have a phone, but if it left your pocket inside the show you would be asked to leave (and they would delete your video/pic).
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,358
    tschav said:

Stupid.....1) the game 2) watching phone during show
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979

tschav said:

Stupid.....1) the game 2) watching phone during show
    The game is not stupid. It's Nintendo. Show some respect.

Regarding phones (maybe mentioned).

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/29/apple-patents-technology-for-deactivating-iphone-cameras-at-live/

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SP218311SP218311 Boston, MA Posts: 167
    Jack White hired a professional photographer during his last tour to take pics, and they were posted that night or the next day, without watermarks. He said something along the lines of "you can use them and tell your friends that you took the pictures." Seemed to help a bit, though I think the setting of the show (at Fenway) really lent itself to photographs, so after a while people busted out the cameras again. Sad.

On a relevant personal note, my wife and I "banned" photography at our wedding ceremony. Had out officiant announce that we would like all guests to put their phones/cameras away for the ceremony, but to feel free to take as many photos as they wanted during the reception. Because we paid a lot of money for a professional photographer, and didn't want either some crazy relative messing up a shot, or photos of everyone taking photos. Also, why do you need a photo of me getting married? People complied and all was good.

1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22