Options

Misheard lyric in Black

cent208cent208 Posts: 435
The second of black on the website is "Were laid spread out before me as her body once did" It sounds like "Her legs spread out before me as her body once did". So it "her legs" or "were laid".

Thanks
"The pain is temporary the pride is forever."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anotherpowneranotherpowner Colorado Posts: 33
    I thought it was 'Here' or 'were' laid spread out before me, as her body once did." But I almost always hear "her legs". They have an amazing gift of leaving it open for us to hear what our mind wants to hear. It truly amazes me to see and hear the multitude of interpretations of their lyrics.
    Nov 2012 ED solo Tulsa, OK
    July 2013 WRIGLEY First PJ Show! 
    Nov 2013 OKC
    Oct 2014 ACL (weekend One)
    Oct 2014 Tulsa, OK
    The Ride Festival Telluride July 2016

• Options
    actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    Where it says “I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star In somebody else's sky”, I thought part of that said something like “I know you’ll be someone else’s guy”…

I didn't know anything about Pearl Jam at that time, but those mis-heard lyrics lead me to think that they maybe had a thing for other men. Funny.

Oct. 15, 2013 Worcester, MA
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Options
    sesamesesame Posts: 22
    I always thought it was her legs spread out before me as well. I misheard lyrics on this one as "why can't it be burned" instead of mine. I never understood that.

Cheers,
    Dean.
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    Always heard and sung it as "her legs" as well. "Were laid" makes more sense.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    I think everyone whos listened to them at one time or another has thought , :what the heck did he say?,: but I swear on the new album its easier to know whats being said . I am not sure if he is making easier or if my ear and mind have become so wonderfully understanding ,funny , either way I am still captivated by what they have to say and how they chose to do it . Oh and I think its laid spread out before me but it could just be me :lol::lol:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I think we've all misheard it as "her legs" at some point (especially if you were a 15 year old boy when the album first came out). But yes, it is most definitely "were laid." He's talking about the sheets of empty canvas being laid out in front of him.
  • Options
    I still sing it with her legs spread out before me .. Otherwise the meaning of the song would be different for me.
    I'm sure I misunderstand 60% of the lyrics but it is ok with me! because my "singing" of how I think they are would make it a completely different song with a possible different meaning.