Options

lightning bolt. the song

robthepjfanrobthepjfan Posts: 647
edited October 2013 in The Porch
i didnt think much of it when i first heard it. but now im lovin it. alot. weird how songs u skip iver at first become favorites
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sometimes it has taken me years to find things in songs that leave me scratching my head as to why its taken me so long...sleight of hand was one of those for sure.

lightning bolt is fantastic. it reminds me so much of the who

:)
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Ahr MannAhr Mann Posts: 141
    i didnt think much of it when i first heard it. but now im lovin it. alot. weird how songs u skip iver at first become favorites

Great tune. Had my wife shimmying when she heard me playing it in the office. And lemmie tellya buddy, that woman can shimmy.
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    thought: the gal in the song is the same as the gal described in "Force of Nature",,,

talk amongst yourselves...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    Ahr Mann wrote:
    Great tune. Had my wife shimmying when she heard me playing it in the office. And lemmie tellya buddy, that woman can shimmy.

You gotta know you'll never let her go
    She's a lightning bolt

:D
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    I love the song. Love the neat riffs, all the change ups, etc. The one thing that bugs me a little are the whale sounds at the end of the solo. I hope that solo can be extended live with a better transition at the end.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,744
    To me, it's almost a callback to Nothingman. Of course, in that song, the protagonist does let his lightning bolt go -- and curses the day.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    BELLZDEEPBELLZDEEP Posts: 285
    sometimes it has taken me years to find things in songs that leave me scratching my head as to why its taken me so long...sleight of hand was one of those for sure.

:)

.....i totally agree, and sleight of hand is an example of this for me as well
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I dig it. Wasn't a fan of Backspacer, but this song signifies how much better some of those song could've been with a more old school PJ approach. Really blends the old and the new.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,898
    Awesome song... Rocking...catchy in a 'good way'. Top 3 on the album for me!!

The lightning strike sets you free!!!!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    JoshoeuhJoshoeuh Posts: 167
    I like it and think it has a good groove... But I hate the lyrics. They seem too amateur for Ed.

But what the hell do I know?
    Columbus 2010 - Atlanta 2012 - Charlotte 2013
  • Options
    Joshoeuh wrote:
    I like it and think it has a good groove... But I hate the lyrics. They seem too amateur for Ed.

im not understanding why people expect the rapture whenever a new pj album comes out lyric-wise. not everything pj-world has to be absolutely profound. ed was a huge ramones fan, right? can't he just write a good, simple rock song?
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    Didn't really like it at first.
    But,heard it live in Pitt.
    This song is a rocker.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    thats y i didnt dig it at first. i was like hmm shes a lightning bolt! ehh , skip to next track...but i gave it another listen and it just stuck. i probably listened 30 times today..btw This is the best ed has sounded since Yield
  • Options
    Joshoeuh wrote:

I'm not sure if they are amateurish. There's a lot of metaphor going on here. People seem to hate the "straightforward" stuff. People seem to hate the "metaphorical" stuff.

I think Ed knows what he's doing when it comes to stringing words together.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Ahr Mann wrote:

I love the mental image I get in my head when I read this :D :thumbup:

I don't like the beginning of that song for whatever reason, but I dig the rest of it. And it's awesome live!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,790
    I love the song but the first verse takes too long to build up for me
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

I maybe see what you're saying, but I also think lyrically that's a hell of a start to a song.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Not feeling it. It's a song I've heard before with Pearl Jam and I'm already over it.
  • Options
    Not feeling it. It's a song I've heard before with Pearl Jam and I'm already over it.

Do you have a DeLorean, a flux capacitor and 1.21 gigawatts? Please explain.
  • Options
    Joshoeuh wrote:

im not understanding why people expect the rapture whenever a new pj album comes out lyric-wise. not everything pj-world has to be absolutely profound. ed was a huge ramones fan, right? can't he just write a good, simple rock song?

He can write a simple rock song, sure... But I think he has done it in the past with better lyrics. As I stated, it's a fine song and I enjoy listening to it.. I just think it's pretty corny at times. Better than anything I could ever write? Certainly. But I don't love the lyrics, and as much as I love Pearl Jam it's not so unconditional that I'll never criticize anything.
  • Options
    Joshoeuh wrote:

I'm not sure if they are amateurish. There's a lot of metaphor going on here. People seem to hate the "straightforward" stuff. People seem to hate the "metaphorical" stuff.

I just can't get passed "She's looking for a place to land... She said 'have you got yourself some sand?'"

It just seems like a forced rhyme -- To me.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

my 9 year old today, hearing this song for the very first time, listens to the first bit of melody, and throws this out at the :28 sec mark, perfectly in rhythm...
    "If C comes after B, and D comes after C, then E comes after D.."
    Which i couldn't help myself from finishing with
    "...and then comes F"

i'm not sure i'll ever un-hear that.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

Same - I know, it's weird. Some songs hit on first listen, others take a few spins. Most of this album was like that, with the exception of Mind Your Manners.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    the end vocals are amazing.

"and your death will soon ariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    phungi wrote:
    thought: the gal in the song is the same as the gal described in "Force of Nature",,,

talk amongst yourselves...

and now we know which one!
  • Options
    Joshoeuh wrote:
    Joshoeuh wrote:

I just can't get passed "She's looking for a place to land... She said 'have you got yourself some sand?'"

It just seems like a forced rhyme -- To me.

And whatever you replied, she took as yes.

I love that part.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I love everything about this song, the riff at the beginning, Ed's vocals, the lyrics, the solo, the build, the end vocals, one of my favorites from the album!

Some of my favorite lyrics, and the way Ed sings them are;

"And then before you know the weeds are
    Obesely overgrown with all the
    Wild seed she sows in your sleep"

and

"The crashing stormy waves erode her
    Shoreline everyday until the
    Castle of her ways turn to sand"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Didnt care for this song cause i didnt like the chorus... Now i cant stop listening to it.. i love it
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Listening to it on the Wrigley recordings, I didn't think much of it. Maybe it was the quality of the recording or the way they played it that night, but after I heard the album cut... man... that song totally came alive for me... I can see it being one of the concert highlights for many years to come.