Options

DSLR camera suggestions??

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited September 2013 in The Art Wall
So I posted the same thread a couple years back but never got around to purchasing one. I'm back in the market for a DSLR camera. My budget is probably in the $500-$700 range. I'm a beginner and want something that's fairly easy to use. My primary subject will be nature shots. If anyone has any recommendations or can tell me about the camera and/or different lenses you use and why you love it, it'd be much appreciated!
Cheers!
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I was in the same situation when I first got started. What you DON'T need is a lot of the bells and whistles that you'll pay way too much for on new cameras. I started with a Nikon D70s that was already about 5 years old when i bought on eBay and a 55mm lens that my Dad let me use. It had very few bells and even less whistles and was perfect for me. I've since upgraded to a Nikon D90 which has a lot of stuff i don't use. So my advice would be to start with an older model and invest in a good multi-purpose lens.

I'd also recommend forcing yourself to use manual settings from the start. It's a great way to learn about apeture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. and the importance of light. I've tried a few tools for editing, but have gone back to Photoshop but also like Adobe Lightroom. I'd also recommend Google Picasa and Google+ for sharing photos.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response! Question: Are newer lenses still compatible with older models like the D70 and D90? If I were to buy new, I was leaning towards the 3200. Seems like it gets great reviews. Plus it comes with a second 18-55mm lens along with the standard. I get where you're coming from though about probably not using a great deal of it's full capabilities.
  • Options
    i have the D3100. the D3200 is the version of that camera that is out on the market right now. It's at a good price and still takes really good shots. I do recommend investing in a fixed lens down the road. I use my 35mm lens more than the 18-55 mm lens that came with the camera.
  • Options
    So I ended up going with the Nikon 3100. I got an additional 50-200mm lens too. I'll start posting some photos once I get used to it. Excited!
  • Options
    awesome!