Options

Given To Fly - lyrics/song discussion

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
This has to be one of the most uplifting liberating songs in Pearl Jam's catalogue.

I just want to know what do you all think it is that has liberated this person who the song is focused on? I am not to sure, but he has achieved happiness somehow to rid him of personal demons holding him down.

LYRICS:

He could have tuned in, tuned in, but he tuned out.
A bad time nothing could save him.
Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out.
He got up outta there ran for hundreds of miles.
He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.
The wind rose up set him down on his knee.
A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.
Deliver him wings, "Hey look at me now!"
Arms wide open with the sea as his floor.
Oh, power, oh. He's flying whole. High, wide, oh.

He floated back down cause he wanted to share.
This key to the locks, on the chains, he saw everywhere.
But first he was stripped, and then he was stabbed by faceless men.
Well fuckers, he still stands.
And he still gets his love he just gives it away.
The love he receives is the love that is saved.
And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky.
A human being that was given to fly.
I'm flying, oh. High flying, oh.
He's flying, oh. High, oh, oh.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think what liberated him was a state of mind :)
    Like my user name from the song In Hiding. Once you realize that you own your mind, no one can take that from you, you can give love all the time and never lose it, and it doesn't matter what anyone else says or does.
    Yeah, this is a great song and how the music builds gives me goosebumps everytime!!
  • Options
    Hmmm could be. Good interpretation.
    What makes you say state of mind?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Well, it seems that way to me because of the line about being alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out ---and then he just gets up and runs? What influenced that decision? It seems that he was thinking about something or made a decision to live a life of his own making and went out and did it.

One thing I love about Pearl Jam songs is that they are like great paintings or sculptures, many people can listen and have different feelings and interpretations! :)

Do you have any ideas about this song? I'd like to know what you think.
  • Options
    Also it seems like the forces of nature played a role in the change of attitude that this person experienced. Whether it is literal of figurative, I'm not sure, but it reminds me of a Native American ritual when a boy would walk away alone for days, fasting, and return as a man.
  • Options
    SammiSammi Posts: 27
    This is one of my all time favorites, by any artist.

I think it's a song about someone who is being held down or repressed and one day they just say "fuck it" and they are able to find some kind of freedom.......
    *~*I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood*~*
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Ed left home and drove to San Diego (Rearview Mirror)...and surfed. The song is about having an epiphany while surfing - at least, that's what it will always mean to me... The melody builds then crashes like a wave, then builds and breaks again...Floating, arms wide open with the sea as his floor...

He feels freedom and inspiration as he "flies" across the waves, and then he becomes famous (gets love gives away love) and as a musician he has to fly to either surf greater spots and/or as part of his job (strange spot in the sky = airplane)...

But yeah! Quite a liberating song! My fave....

(and ed "surfed" on the roof of the sound booth at the Gorge when they did this song)
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Ed left home and drove to San Diego (Rearview Mirror)...and surfed. The song is about having an epiphany while surfing - at least, that's what it will always mean to me... The melody builds then crashes like a wave, then builds and breaks again...Floating, arms wide open with the sea as his floor...

He feels freedom and inspiration as he "flies" across the waves, and then he becomes famous (gets love gives away love) and as a musician he has to fly to either surf greater spots and/or as part of his job (strange spot in the sky = airplane)...

But yeah! Quite a liberating song! My fave....

(and ed "surfed" on the roof of the sound booth at the Gorge when they did this song)

Isn't this a Mike song??
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Isn't this a Mike song??

Mike wrote the music for it. Ed wrote the lyrics.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    The two best interperetations i've heard are the song is about jesus or surfing.

"arms wide open with the sea as his floor"
    could be arms out to keep balance when you are on a surfboard.

or it could be "arms wide open" preaching, on the cross,
    and "sea as his floor" could be jesus walking on water

"wanted to share his key to the lock on the chains he saw everywhere"
    preach the gospel

"stripped and stabbed" cruisified

"we still stands" reserection

"gives it away... the love that is saved" spreads love

"strange spot in the sky.. given to fly" the assention

what do you say?
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497

what do you say?

Peace love and good vibes seems to be what Ed's about (somewhat)....

Strange spot in the sky - a human being who was given to fly...Ed's in an airplane travelling to another gig to give away the love that is saved....
    be philanthropic
  • Options

He could have tuned in, tuned in, but he tuned out.
    A bad time nothing could save him.
    Alone in a corridor, waiting, locked out.
    He got up outta there ran for hundreds of miles.
    He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.
    The wind rose up set him down on his knee.
    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.
    Deliver him wings, "Hey look at me now!"
    Arms wide open with the sea as his floor.
    Oh, power, oh. He's flying whole. High, wide, oh.

He floated back down cause he wanted to share.
    This key to the locks, on the chains, he saw everywhere.
    But first he was stripped, and then he was stabbed by faceless men.
    Well fuckers, he still stands.
    And he still gets his love he just gives it away.
    A human being that was given to fly.
    I'm flying, oh. High flying, oh.
    He's flying, oh. High, oh, oh.
    I think it's about Cobain:

He could’ve tuned in to mega-fame, but he didn’t
    Bad time/alone/running is him making his choice; could literally be the Rome overdose events
    Made it to the ocean/smoke in a tree, is the detox in L.A. and the cigarette-break escape
    The wind rose up/set him down, is him hearing the final voices and acceding

A wave came crashing is the actual blow
    Arms wide open could be the way they found him, or the reported wounds on his arms ("Hey look at me now"?)
    The sea as his floor is the view from ascent
    He's flying whole = in spirit, free of disfigured body

He floated back down, to continue the spirit of musical communication he found ~ the key
    First he was stripped, is the intial villification of his fame/deed
    But he still stands, is the integrity recognized today
    The love he receives and gives away, is the nobility of pure music passing between us wherever it is found
    The strange spot in the sky is our occasional rememberance of him

I’m flying/he’s flying, is Ed continuing that nobility ... which allows the triumphant verve that he and the band bring to the performances.
  • Options
    The two best interperetations i've heard are the song is about jesus or surfing.

"arms wide open with the sea as his floor"
    could be arms out to keep balance when you are on a surfboard.

or it could be "arms wide open" preaching, on the cross,
    and "sea as his floor" could be jesus walking on water

"wanted to share his key to the lock on the chains he saw everywhere"
    preach the gospel

"stripped and stabbed" cruisified

"we still stands" reserection

what do you say?

I also always thought the song was about Jesus, and I find it really uplifting. I think about a few friends who have passed away, and the song reminds me that the soul/spirit continues to have a presence after death:
    "And he still gets his love he just gives it away.
    A human being that was given to fly."
    9/1/2005, 7/3/2006, 7/6/2006, 7/22/2006, 7/23/2006, 9/21/2009, 9/22/2009
  • Options
    It could be about surfing.
    Waves, sea as his floor.....
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    Wow, I've never thought of it that way, you maybe right;)
    thanks; it really does make you wonder :)

I have a hard time seeing the 'Jesus' connection in any of the first stanza, or a 'surfer' connection in any of second part ... I know the song's not literal in any sense, but these just don't click for me. I just don't think they're where he's coming from.

With Kurt, there's a continuity between the two parts and a powerful message underneath it all. The unspoken 'message' of Kurt's passion "still standing" is what gives the song its joyously uplifting energy, at least to me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ED SINGS IN RIOT ACT I FEEL LIKE A DOT ON THE SUN! AND SHE WONT FEED HIM AFTER HES FLOWN AWAY, BURN NOTHING MAN! WATER IS SUNSHINE! REFERING TO THAT HUMANE GIVEN TO FLY AND BEING NOTHING TO THIS INDIVIDUAL!! ED IS DEFINATLY A BEAUTIFUL MAN SO I DONT SEE THE LINK HES AN ANGEL!!
  • Options
    Replying to the Jesus statement...
    That is exactly what I thought.
    Made it to the ocean
    Smoked a joint in a tree
    Wind rose up
    Set him down on his knees
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,571
    did you all notice how this song is always dedicated to one of Eddie's famous friends whenever they play it live? (ball player, actor....etc)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    For me it's about nonconformity and finding freedom inside yourself. Sticking with things you believe in and love - no matter what.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    My thought is that is an awakening within a person when he or she realize that they have but one life and they are struck by a belief that that there is something bigger than them and they have been given a gift to LIVE. And at that very moment they are realizing it and soaking it up all at ounce. The soul is able to fly and they are free with sea at there feet. In short a ton of bricks have been dropped from there shoulders. Everyone has some point experienced pure bliss. Mine was camping on a Oregon coast beach with a small camp fire, full bright moon above with my Wife. It was like being in a painting. Pure Bliss!!
    myspace.com/patricksmark
  • Options
    Wow, never heard the Cobain reference- dont think its right, but interesting.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    RSRRSR British Columbia, Canada Posts: 44
    I've always imagined this song to be about people who overcome significant obstacles in their lives (alone ... waiting, and locked out ... waves crashing like a fist to the jaw ... stripped and stabbed by a faceless man).

Interesting enough, pain and struggle actually can be the thing that gives people lift-off in their lives -- persevering through struggles gives the incredible gifts of hope, wisdom and patience on the other side. Have you ever noticed how people who overcome significant struggle seem have the most to offer? In my experience, they are happier, more adjusted, more balanced and wiser than people who have been insulated from pain their whole lives. In a sense, people who have struggled significantly have 'a key to the locks on the chains (which) are everywhere'. I think that key is that they come to a place where they feel worthy of being loved, and so they are able to give love away without expecting anything in return.

"The love he received is the love that is saved'

I get it that a lot of people think this song is about Jesus. I think in a sense it is; because its a song about people who overcome and about people who selflessly love others.
    I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I was 13 and first heard Ament's opening to Jeremy on the radio. To this day, Pearl Jam continues to inspire and challenge me to not just be better, but to be great.