Options

Texas Judge Blocks Woman From Living With Lesbian Partner

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
Texas Judge Blocks Woman From Living With Lesbian Partner at Ex-Husband's Request

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/05/22/carolyn_compton_page_price_citing_morality_clause_texas_judge_john_roach.html

Here's a story that's been bubbling up for a while but appears to have finally broken through to the larger news cycle, via the Associated Press:

A judge has ruled that a North Texas lesbian couple can’t live together because of a morality clause in one of the women’s divorce papers. The clause is common in divorce cases in Texas and other states. It prevents a divorced parent from having a romantic partner spend the night while children are in the home. If the couple marries, they can get out from under the legal provision—but that is not an option for gay couples in Texas, where such marriages aren’t recognized.

The issue appears to have first arisen last month during a divorce hearing for Carolyn and Joshua Compton in Collin County, Texas. According to the Dallas Morning News, District Judge John Roach Jr. decided to enforce the letter of the terms detailed in the former couple's 2011 divorce papers, and ordered Carolyn's partner of nearly three years, Page Price, to move out of the home she shared with Carolyn and her 10- and 13-year-old daughters. It was the ex-husband who requested the clause be enforced, according to his lawyer.

In handing down the ruling, the judge argued that the clause was "a general provision for the benefit of the children," and one that was not written to specifically target homosexuals. While that last part my be true, it's obvious that the provision affects homosexuals differently than it does their straight counterparts given that the Lone Star State doesn't allow gays and lesbians to marry. According to the AP, the so-called morality clause is part of a standing order that applies to each and every divorce case filed in the county and was also added to the Comptons' final divorce decree. It has no expiration date, meaning that the lesbian couple will need either a court to overturn the ruling or the state legislature to legalize gay marriage before they can move back in together with the kids.

According to the women's lawyer, the morality clause technically makes it illegal for Carolyn to have anyone she is dating or intimate with at her home with her two children anytime after 9 p.m. In effect, that means Carolyn Compton had to choose between living with her lesbian partner and living with her children. The couple says they'll obey the judge's ruling and Price will move out while they consider their legal options.

The Comptons' divorce was finalized in 2011, according to the Dallas Voice, but was reopened in April to dispute the current child-custody arrangement. Joshua Compton's lawyer says his client asked to have the clause enforced as a matter of principle. "I see how this creates a situation where [Carolyn] can't marry Page, while [Joshua] could marry a girlfriend," lawyer Paul Key told the Huffington Post. "But that's not why we're doing it. We would have done the same thing if it were some guy that had moved in." Key, likewise, told the AP: "The fact that they can't get married in Texas is a legislative issue. It's not really our issue."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    well ... on the gay rights side i think this is brutal ... i just wonder if the ex is enforcing this because he doesn't want the kids to be in the same house as a same sex couple or is it because he feels like the girlfriend is bad influence on his kids ...
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Why did she sign the document with that clause in it?

That's the issue. Headline of OP is misleading.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    seems a bit redneck

as texas is

she probably signed papers without reading them as a huge portion of people do
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    know1 wrote:

The local County placed the morality clause in according to the article

According to the AP, the so-called morality clause is part of a standing order that applies to each and every divorce case filed in the county and was also added to the Comptons' final divorce decree.

She didn't have a choice in the matter. And based off the ex-husbands lawyers comments, the dude is just an asshole and is trying to stick it to his ex in any way he can.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    Another reason why we need to have gay marriage equality.

Because I can see and understand the clause. I do think however, that it should be negotiated in and not just added by the government. But I only think you can use it if everyone is playing on the same playing field.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    know1 wrote:

The local County placed the morality clause in according to the article

According to the AP, the so-called morality clause is part of a standing order that applies to each and every divorce case filed in the county and was also added to the Comptons' final divorce decree.

She didn't have a choice in the matter. And based off the ex-husbands lawyers comments, the dude is just an asshole and is trying to stick it to his ex in any way he can.

But still - this really has nothing to do with homosexuality which is part of my point. The headline and story are very misleading.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.