Options

yellow ledbetter

are there actually lyrics or is ed just making it up as he goes along?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pearl+jam/ ... 06395.html

Never heard the same lyrics twice live.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Mike McCready wrote it.
    I read the story behind the song on twofeetthick
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    are there actually lyrics or is ed just making it up as he goes along?

:lol::lol::lol:

No, There's Lyrics
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    potato wave

make me fries
  • Options
    rollings wrote:
    potato wave

make me fries
    :lol: misheard lyrics guy?!
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    "
    In Search of “Yellow Ledbetter”

by Jessica Letkemann on March 12, 2005

Every Pearl Jam fan knows that most of the studio version of “Yellow Ledbetter” doesn’t quite have real lyrics, just mumblings that Eddie made up on the spot back in the early ’90s when it was recorded. The song is the earliest Pearl Jam song based on a Mike McCready riff, and nods beautifully to Hendrix’s “Little Wing.” First appearing as a b-side on a couple of Ten- and Vs.-era singles, the song became a fan favorite for its vibe despite the fact that no one really knew what Ed was singing about. After being taken off guard in 1993 by the number of end-of-show requests they were getting for the song, “Yellow Ledbetter” evolved into a regular show finale: Ed calling for full house lights, revealing the band and its fans singing their sweaty hearts out. “Hunna wee dem unna wish it all away yeah anna call anna said unna call wanna saay ana call at again! Yeah!”

Does “Yellow Ledbetter” have any meaning? Real lyrics? Over a decade of fan curiosity concluded, “no,” but hold on, there’s some evidence to the contrary to reveal…

The first hopeful clue was the Japanese 3″ CD single for “Daughter”, but the “lyrics” it contained — printed in both Japanese and English — were highly suspect. It’s common for the non-U.S. arms of record companies to include lyrics and their translations in the packaging – usually without the aid of the official lyrics. The results, as with the Japanese “Ledbetter” release, are just plain wrong. To put it bluntly, the Japanese “Ledbetter” lyrics made no sense, and left fans no closer to eternal quest for the “real” lyrics.

One big clue, it turns out, is rooted in both one of the earliest examples of the song and several of the latest versions. Going back to the song’s origins, it appears on a cassette case (see right) handwritten by Ed from the March 1991 Ten sessions (which took place during the first Gulf War). During an online chat in 2000, Eddie commented that “Yellow Ledbetter,”was written right around the time of the Gulf War. That’s about as far as I can get into it. It’s an anti-patriotic song, actually.” On that March 1991 tape case, Ed titled the song “Yellow Letter.” Research reveals that historically, a “yellow letter” is common vintage slang for a telegram, which was always on yellow paper once upon a time. Most specifically the slang refers to the “bad news” telegram which was hand-delivered by fellow servicemen indicating that the family of military personnel would receive when their husband or son died in combat.

In that context, the few decipherable original lyrics make a lot more sense. “I see them out on the porch,” he sings, “but they don’t wave.” Imagine stony-faced men in uniform bearing a yellow letter about to ring a doorbell bringing somber news. Fans have long debated over the meaning of “I don’t know if it was the box or the bag.” Eddie often returned to that line live in later years, and it seemed to eerily namecheck coffins and body bags. More recently, during the current Iraq war, the 2003 tour versions of the song that Eddie sang, “the box or the bag” definitely meant coffins and body bags, and those versions of the song were clearly about family learning of the death of their relative in the military. A prime example is the clearly decipherable version from Camden, NJ in 2003:

…on the front side, letter said
    Something that I don’t wanna think of in my head…
    And I try not to dream of him every night, but I still hear him
    And that’s all that I can think of.
    The letter that was in my hand that said my brother’s coming home in a box or a bag.

Yeah, when I see them I’d like to wish it all away yeah
    And I tried and a phoned and I coulda left a message
    Can’t get through to Afghanistan
    Want to see him
    I knew him like a friend
    My brother’s coming home in a box or a bag

While that lyric has been much illuminated over the years, we can still only offer educated speculation about why “Yellow Letter” was renamed “Yellow Ledbetter.” Though some allege that the title was chosen in honor of a friend of Ed’s from Chicago whose last name was Ledbetter, we can’t ignore the fact that one of Mike McCready’s major influences is blues great Huddie “Leadbelly” Ledbetter. “Yellow Ledbetter” undeniably recalls Leadbelly’s brand of blues, and Mike’s simple, clean guitar woven throughout the song recalls Leadbelly’s spare playing style. We should also point out here that Leadbelly was also one of Hendrix’s influences.

One day Eddie and Mike might clue everyone in on the complete meaning of the song and it’s title, but until then, fans everywhere will still cheer wildly when they hear Mike’s killer opening notes and watch Eddie as he begins to mumble, with conviction, new words every time.
    I'm waiting for this moment

For your enjoyment, please see the extremely erroneous lyrics for “Yellow Ledbetter” below as printed in the Japanese “Daughter” 3″ CD Single:

I want to see them on the porch of Ledbetter
    I said I want to say I want to leave her again
    On the frontside, on the porch of Ledbetter
    I said, I dont,
    I don’t want to say it and it come out again
    On the far side, I’m wishing on a well
    I only fall when I say it and I go and I say it
    I’m going to leave her again
    On the frontside, on the porch of Ledbetter
    I said, I dont
    I don’t know whether it was a box or a bag

Can you see them out on the porch
    But they don’t wave
    I see them on the front way
    And I know and I know I don’t want to stay

I want to see them on the porch of Ledbetter
    And I said, I want a brother
    I want to write you again
    On the yellow, on the porch of Ledbetter
    I said, I don’t
    I don’t know whether it was a box or a bag

Can you see them out on the porch
    But they don’t wave
    I see them on the front way
    And I know and I know I don’t want to stay

This makes sense to me, as it always had.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2005/03/in- ... ledbetter/

I have more sources
  • Options
    Please some one comment? I have argued this for years. Does anyone agree?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    That's what I've read/heard, that it's to do with Ed's mate '... Ledbetter' who dies at the Gulf War & when someone dies at war a 'yellow letter' is sent to the folks(or other next of kin I guess) advising them hence 'they're on the porch but they don't wave' coz its the yellow letter delivery person.

There are several lines that you can definitely work out & that Ed sings most times they play the song:

I wanna see them, on the way sat a letter that said I don't have to feel this way again no no,
    on the west side sat a letter that said I don't ever have to feel this way again
    on the wayside I'd like to wish this all away & I tried and i phoned and I coulda left a message but nobody was there
    on the wayside on the front sat a letter oh it said I don't I don't know whether it was a box or a bag eh Can you see them out on the porch yeah but they don't wave.
    I see them round the front way yeah & I know & I know I don't wanna stay.
    And see then I'd like to wish it all away & I tried on the phone & I woulda left a message but nobody was there
    & on the wayside on the front sat a letter & it said I don't know whether it was a box or the bag
    & can you see them out on the porch but they don't wave
    I see them around the front way & I know & I know I don't wanna stay I gotta stay
    i don't wanna stay no no no
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    That's what I've read/heard, that it's to do with Ed's mate '... Ledbetter' who dies at the Gulf War & when someone dies at war a 'yellow letter' is sent to the folks(or other next of kin I guess) advising them hence 'they're on the porch but they don't wave' coz its the yellow letter delivery person.

There are several lines that you can definitely work out & that Ed sings most times they play the song:

I wanna see them, on the way sat a letter that said I don't have to feel this way again no no,
    on the west side sat a letter that said I don't ever have to feel this way again
    on the wayside I'd like to wish this all away & I tried and i phoned and I coulda left a message but nobody was there
    on the wayside on the front sat a letter oh it said I don't I don't know whether it was a box or a bag eh Can you see them out on the porch yeah but they don't wave.
    I see them round the front way yeah & I know & I know I don't wanna stay.
    And see then I'd like to wish it all away & I tried on the phone & I woulda left a message but nobody was there
    & on the wayside on the front sat a letter & it said I don't know whether it was a box or the bag
    & can you see them out on the porch but they don't wave
    I see them around the front way & I know & I know I don't wanna stay I gotta stay
    i don't wanna stay no no no

Say No... Mike wrote it and he is not sharing... ;)
  • Options
    I have totally different lyrics here, and don't forget that there is Ledbetter Island right off the coast of Washington. and Just maybe it's covered in Yellow via Fall with the tree's or Spring with the Dandelions.
    He's on a porch on the beach of Leadbetter Island. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Yeah I read that,and it was interesting. The lyrics can spin that direction.
    And yet again Breathe was for maybe his Mother.
  • Options
    Yellow Ledbetter is the only song that everyone at a concert can mumble
    and get away with.And no two people will sing the same lyrics. All Good! :D
  • Options
    "There are two prominent theories regarding the title of this song:

1) The name "Yellow Ledbetter" derives from an old tongue twister in which you try to say "yellow better, red better" as fast as you can. Just a few times repeated, the words become jumbled and you get "yellow ledbetter." The reason they named the song this is because the lyrics are indistinguishable just like the tongue twister.

2) It's a tribute to Huddy Ledbetter (known as Leadbelly), who was one of the founding fathers of Blues in the 1930s, and recorded much of his music while in jail for assault. Leadbelly first recorded many classic tunes which have been covered by many bands, like "Land of the Rising Sun" and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night."

The real meaning, however, as stated in Five Against One: The Pearl Jam Story by Kim Neely, is that the title was a joke in honor of a Chicago friend of Eddie Vedder's named Tim Ledbetter. (thanks, Martin - Rostock, Germany)
    Eddie Vedder admits that he changes the lyrics and meaning of the song when he performs it, but he wrote the song with one story in mind, which he told at a concert in Newark, New Jersey on August 7, 2008. He asked if anyone had any questions, and a fellow asked what the lyrics to "Yellow Ledbetter" were. Instead of going word for word, Eddie simply told the story of the song.

The song was written during the first gulf war, when "Papa Bush" was President, as Eddie calls him. The story is about a young Grunger kid, all dressed up in his flannels with the long greasy hair. His brother goes off to fight in the war and gets killed. He gets a letter that comes in one of those yellow army envelopes and learns of his brother's death. So, all upset, he decides to go out and walk it off. On his walk he passes by a neat, middle-aged or elderly couple sitting on their front porch having some tea, and he sees that they have an American flag out. He gives a wave, because he feels like he relates: "The flag, my brother, you know..." But they don't know, of course. They don't know what's underneath the grunge and the long hair. All they see are the outward appearances, and they don't wave back.

I have always thought of this as the meaning no matter how the lyrics change.

The song has changed its meaning over time and Eddie changes the words to suit whatever is on his mind. (thanks, Graham - Morrisville, PA)"

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1417

This is another source from a different year. The most current, is something I can't find. It must have been in a book. Mumbling is usually the case :D

(No one can challenge me? What.)
  • Options
    toridaniothtoridanioth West Seattle Posts: 132
    While I totally hear the "box or the bag" as coffins and bodybags-
    I also interpret it as "boxer or the bag"- the fighter or the punching bag.
    because he can't figure out if he is punching or getting punched- probably both.
    when someone close dies-especially in war- the gut punch is undeniable.
    Lolla Alpine Valley 8/29/92 ,Key Arena 11/5/00 , Key Arena 11/6/00, NOLAJazzfest 5/1/10, Wrigley 7/19(20)/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 11/24/13, Bridge School 2014, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16, Seattle 2018 both nights! Chicago 9/5/23 and 9/7/23
    EV Long Beach 7/6/11 , LA Wiltern (miracled in) 7/8/11, EV Benaroya Hall 10/24/23
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    edited March 2013
    ^^^ I like that. I too hear boxer or the bag often & have wondered. Nice to hear your thoughts on that. :)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    It's about people not accepting you, because of what you look like.
    They don't care who you are as a person.

They don't wave, and they tell you to get off their porch.

(I'm told often, to get off the porch. :lol:)

I wish Mike McCready would do an interview, and tell us, why he wrote it. Did he lose a brother?
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    when it comes to YL I have to say these are the best lyrics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    when it comes to YL I have to say these are the best lyrics...

:lol::lol:

"I wanna leave Bennigan's... "

That was hysterical. Genius.

"ICEE... Potato Wave."
    I keep watching it, it's so funny. The best ever.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    1991firsttakesjcard_300.jpg

funny to read "breath" and "breath 2", but no "state of love and trust" and "hold on", was SOLAT first entitled as Breath 2?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    While I totally hear the "box or the bag" as coffins and bodybags-
    I also interpret it as "boxer or the bag"- the fighter or the punching bag.
    because he can't figure out if he is punching or getting punched- probably both.
    when someone close dies-especially in war- the gut punch is undeniable.

I always thought it was Box or the Bag forever until I read someone say it was Boxer or the Bag. I think the first is correct but the way Eddie sings and draws out certain words it can easily be interpreted as Boxer or the Bag. I love the symbolism behind that. Like you said, you lose someone close and you might feel so angry you want to start punching, or maybe you do. At the same time you feel like you just got punched in the stomach.

Ed sings is different all the time. Sometimes its good, sometimes it doesnt flow at all. I think they like the ambiguity of it.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    It's been a few weeks. I'm still laughing. This is got to be my favorite.

Thank you, javis el errante :D

On the ceiling
    On a Porsche
    Glitter
    Fairy
    Landfill
    I wanna leave Bennigan's

One bizzare hymn
    On a beach the little horses
    Mona said
    I wanna leave Bennigan's

On a wheel
    On a wizard
    On a whale
    Anna Nicole's mama said that I won't wanna see Anna fall down again
    And the wizard
    On Aleve, a Gump I know
    I said I don't want a whale in a box or a bag

Ah yeeaaahhhh
    Can you see dems?
    Out on the Porch
    Potato wave :lol:
    ICEE dems
    Brown the runway
    Anna no, Anna no...
    I don't wanna see
    Make me fries

ICEE
    I don't know why they suntan nails
    On a Carmine unaware
    I said I don't know where there's a box or a bag

Can you see dems?
    Oh, I know poor boys
    Potato wave
    ICEE dems
    Brown the runway
    Anna no, Anna no
    I don't wanna shave it off

I don't wanna stare
    I don't wanna stair
    I don't wanna slayer
    I don't know all the words
    Yet
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    STAYSEA wrote:
    It's been a few weeks. I'm still laughing. This is got to be my favorite.

Thank you, javis el errante :D

On the ceiling
    On a Porsche
    Glitter
    Fairy
    Landfill
    I wanna leave Bennigan's

One bizzare hymn
    On a beach the little horses
    Mona said
    I wanna leave Bennigan's

On a wheel
    On a wizard
    On a whale
    Anna Nicole's mama said that I won't wanna see Anna fall down again
    And the wizard
    On Aleve, a Gump I know
    I said I don't want a whale in a box or a bag

Ah yeeaaahhhh
    Can you see dems?
    Out on the Porch
    Potato wave :lol:
    ICEE dems
    Brown the runway
    Anna no, Anna no...
    I don't wanna see
    Make me fries

ICEE
    I don't know why they suntan nails
    On a Carmine unaware
    I said I don't know where there's a box or a bag

Can you see dems?
    Oh, I know poor boys
    Potato wave
    ICEE dems
    Brown the runway
    Anna no, Anna no
    I don't wanna shave it off

I don't wanna stare
    I don't wanna stair
    I don't wanna slayer
    I don't know all the words
    Yet

Yeah, that is a classic for sure. :lol: On Aleve a Gump I know...
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.