Options

I survived Maroon 5 last night...

PhillyCrownOfThornsPhillyCrownOfThorns Posts: 690
edited April 2013 in Other Music
True story. Took my wife and 2 daughters (13 & 11).

Should have had a t-shirt for the poor bastards like me who had to deal with that...

I enjoyed that they had short beer lines and no wait at men's bathroom. (20 minute line for girls)

Review- they played all of their hits, and that Adam Levine is very handsome. Done.
9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    :lol:

I actually saw them after their first album came out..I didn't think they were THATt bad. :oops:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

I actually saw them after their first album came out..I didn't think they were THATt bad. :oops:

They weren't that bad... Selena Gomez was much worse last summer.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    True story. Took my wife and 2 daughters (13 & 11).

Should have had a t-shirt for the poor bastards like me who had to deal with that...

I enjoyed that they had short beer lines and no wait at men's bathroom. (20 minute line for girls)

Review- they played all of their hits, and that Adam Levine is very handsome. Done.

At least your still alive. Take earplugs next time?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I read an article about their guitarist not long ago and he's a real gearhead. Uses some real classy stuff. It said in the article that there were some serious guitar hero moments in their shows. Any truth to that at least?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
    It is amazing how huge they have become.

In the late 90s, they were called Kara's Flowers, and they were sorta like little brothers to a band called Phantom Planet on the L.A. music scene. I think they went on hiatus while most of the fellas went to college back east (they met at a posh private high school in Brentwood, aka the OJ Simpson murder neighborhood). Once they became Maroon 5, their career really skyrocketed!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    god, they suck. glad you survived :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Better Dan wrote:

i did too and didn't think they were bad at all. not my kind of music but they put on a good show.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    :arrow:
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    it was just them and their instruments. they kind of rocked - just sayin
  • Options
    shortstack wrote:
    it was just them and their instruments. they kind of rocked - just sayin

Um... :?

Let's go with that.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    their first album isn't that bad, but I don't really care for the direction they have moved in musically. I saw the show a few weeks ago, cause my sister got free tickets.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    whats not to like. They write catchy pop songs. That person you referenced that likes Britney shows, likes catchy pop music too. There are no guilty pleasures. Just good music. Crafting a pop song is as hard as crafting a PJ or Radiohead song. These songs are earworms for a reason. They are incredibly well written and have an ear to what your brain and ears enjoy.

Its undeniable that songs like This Love, She Will Be Loved, Moves like Jagger are great pop tunes.

I dont think Adam or the guys are out to be Radiohead.

For me, a catchy life affirming track is just as important as a complex, experimental one. We need just as many of each. People dont listen to the radio to hear The Mars Volta.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    It is amazing how huge they have become.

In the late 90s, they were called Kara's Flowers, and they were sorta like little brothers to a band called Phantom Planet on the L.A. music scene. I think they went on hiatus while most of the fellas went to college back east (they met at a posh private high school in Brentwood, aka the OJ Simpson murder neighborhood). Once they became Maroon 5, their career really skyrocketed!

I saw Kara's Flowers at my first concert. They opened for the Aqua Bats and Reel Big Fish as the headliner. I already had tickets to see U2 on the Pop-Mart tour, but I figured my first show should be at a proper small club rather the the giant stadium show that is U2.

Needless to say, Kara's Flowers was the best band I saw that night. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    whats not to like. They write catchy pop songs. That person you referenced that likes Britney shows, likes catchy pop music too. There are no guilty pleasures. Just good music. Crafting a pop song is as hard as crafting a PJ or Radiohead song. These songs are earworms for a reason. They are incredibly well written and have an ear to what your brain and ears enjoy.

Its undeniable that songs like This Love, She Will Be Loved, Moves like Jagger are great pop tunes.

I dont think Adam or the guys are out to be Radiohead.

For me, a catchy life affirming track is just as important as a complex, experimental one. We need just as many of each. People dont listen to the radio to hear The Mars Volta.

I want to be clear... It's not that I hate pop music. It is truly the "gateway drug" to the start of exploration of music. And I don't think what they do is easy. They have a ton of hits for a reason... And the songs are very easy on the ears. I really didn't realize they had that many hits.

That being said... A concert experience is more than just the music. That was the part I was really commenting on. In the stages of parenting , there is a progression.

1. Dora, Sesame st, or Disney on Ice at an arena.
    2. The big trip to Disney.
    3. Big pop star in concert.
    4. Big heartthrob in concert.

Adding that many women and men find Adam Levine very attractive... There was a feeling the whole show that I was going to get attacked by a bunch of cougars on their way to their prey. I am pretty sure that "Take your shirt off" and "you're so fucking hot" were not song requests. And that was just what my wife was saying... :lol:

It's the other stuff at the show that jus made the concert tougher to enjoy. My enjoyment came from the smile on my girls' faces and they sang along with all of the songs. Almost made the show worth every penny... Almost!

• Options
    Took my daughter to the Jonas Brothers about 4 years ago (maybe 5). That was a task. I saw a few guys like me, but no words were exchanged between us- only the slightest of head nods: a gesture of mutual understanding for what it was we were dealing with.

Funny thing... the merch booths had incredibly long, single file lines. As opposed to the jostling, dense, and completely disorganized packs that form at the shows I go to... those young teens and elementary boppers know how to line up.

As for the show... yeesh. Those guys think they are pretty cool. They tried to get the parents up and rock to a cover of Sweet Caroline. For the amusement of my daughter... I really did try and give it the good ol college effort. I think I pulled it off... but felt like a fool doing it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    :arrow:

why did you delete your post about britney?

i knew i should have quoted you. you have a tendency to delete posts.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    edited April 2013
    Took my daughter to the Jonas Brothers about 4 years ago (maybe 5). That was a task. I saw a few guys like me, but no words were exchanged between us- only the slightest of head nods: a gesture of mutual understanding for what it was we were dealing with.

Hahaha :lol::D
    Post edited by peacefrompaul on
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    red mos wrote:
    their first album isn't that bad, but I don't really care for the direction they have moved in musically. I saw the show a few weeks ago, cause my sister got free tickets.
    I agree with this- their first 2 albums to me are really great, but I like them less and less with the passing years since they are just off in a completely different direction from where they first were, and I'm not a big fan of the music they're making now. That said, I saw them in 2008 when they were big, but not nearly as huge as they are now. Double billed with Counting Crows. Have to say M5 were really fantastic- Adam's voice translated really well live and they were tight musically. I don't know if I'd see them again now, but in 2008 I really enjoyed their portion of the show. Also, Adam Levine is incredibly sexy. :D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    I am going to see them in August! I really like their catchy, pop songs and I'm looking forward to seeing them live. I think I will spend the night dancing to every song! :lol: There's something to be said for songs that not only make you feel good, but make you feel like dancing. :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    Saw them two summers ago at Ravinia. Park like atmosphere where everyone brings their own coolers of wine, beer and cheese. Didn't know if I'd like them, but they put on a great show! Lot's of fun!
  • Options

We can laugh now because it's over.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

We can laugh now because it's over.

That makes a lot of sense, actually :lol:
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    More like, Maroon 5 survived you lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    I liked their first album a lot. Then I got their second album and only liked a couple of songs and they've gotten progressively worse since then. I probably wouldn't go see them live. And as for Adam being sexy, that is a big no. Every time I look at him I just think here is a cheesy pop singer trying to look tougher than he is with all those tattoos. Tattoos are a huge turn off to me in the first place, but it's like Lionel Richie trying to look like a tough guy.