Is there anything I can help you with?

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
edited December 2013 in Technical Stuff and Help
just ask.
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    i am online and available to help you people with your technical problems.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I'm heading on a long trip and would really like to hook up a reel to reel player to my car stereo, any suggestions?

:corn:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    I'm heading on a long trip and would really like to hook up a reel to reel player to my car stereo, any suggestions?

:corn:

do you have an extension cord?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Got about 50 miles out and some punk kids unplugged a cord along my way. Fuckers.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Got about 50 miles out and some punk kids unplugged a cord along my way. Fuckers.

next time, consider an inverter.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

best buy has 100 mile cords now. now you know for next time.

good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Need an opinion in another issue. Cooking a pot roast in a crock pot. Should I cook with beef broth or beef gravy?

Also, I cubed the potatoes, cut them smaller?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Need an opinion in another issue. Cooking a pot roast in a crock pot. Should I cook with beef broth or beef gravy?

Also, I cubed the potatoes, cut them smaller?

chicken broth. BANG. DONE.

and potatoes should be cut into circles. now you know.

next question please.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm filling out my bracket, trying to win some $$$...who should my Final Four be?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I'm filling out my bracket, trying to win some $$$...who should my Final Four be?

Ohio State over Kansas
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Praise the lord. Hello
    81 wrote:

Ohio State over Kansas

Juggler's thread. I have to assume he's the resident genius. I'm only trusting his answers.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    MIDDLE TENNESSEE.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aren't you from Philly? No La Salle, Temple. Maybe even Bucknell?? I can't accept this Mid Tenn :nono:

Edit: am I the only one around here that is seeking advise (help) on pressing issues?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

MIDDLE TENNESEE IS WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. HEED THE JUGGLER'S ADVICE.
    :x

NEXT QUESTION!!!!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Why some persons have a stick man behind their picture?

81_zps082c2a6d.jpgJuggler_zps5a4acb1a.jpg
    Longueuil wrote:

can i help you? do you have a technical question, sir?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Longueuil wrote:

means they are logged in to the forum.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    81 wrote:
    Longueuil wrote:

Thank for the answer
    81 wrote:
    Longueuil wrote:

thank you for your help wih that one. i had no idea what he was talking about.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Who wins in a fight? The dog pictured or the smoking baby pictured? Not the user, but if we could bring these two together. I mean, a baby who smokes has to be tough...right? But the baby doesn't have a tattoo, which would make the baby a lock in any fight.

Edit: Juggler lost his "resident genius" tag by failing to answer the previous question. I'm open to answers from anyone now
    Post edited by Empty Glass on
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Who wins in a fight? The dog pictured or the smoking baby pictured? Not the user, but if we could bring these two together. I mean, a baby who smokes has to be tough...right? But the baby doesn't have a tattoo, which would make the baby a lock in any fight.

if the fight is in public, the baby wins for sure as people jump in to help it. if it's in a back alley, the dog should win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    hahaha....it does look like we are about to square off there :lol:

I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for ya, right here 81.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    NEXT TECHNICAL QUESTION PLEASE.

I AM AT YOUR GOD DAMNED SERVICE.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Technical question for sure, 'cause that Mid-Tenn State pick didn't pan out :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Technical question for sure, 'cause that Mid-Tenn State pick didn't pan out :lol:

i thought you said First four...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Two questions.

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

also...

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I can't work out Ten Club radio: I could erase cache and cookies from GC and IE, but not with MF. Can you help me with that? When I'm on GC I only listen to one second, with MF and IE the Ten Club radio window is black. I can't find out what the issue is. I can stream youtube, vimeo, hbogo, and other sites, not Ten Club radio.
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I have a question.

My TV is semi broken. I replaced the lamp. It's a projection TV.

Samsung
    Model Code HL61A650C1FXZA
    Version PK01

The screen has a stream of white pixel spots appearing in a band across the bottom, it looks like the milky way if I had to describe it. I don't know if it's the screen it's self or the little TV inside? I don't have the money to have the TV repair guy to come to my house again. And it's really to complicated for me to figure out. Please let me know if you have any clues.
    I also have a Harmon/Karmon ARV receiver with no cables collecting dust and a
    Bose CINEMATE Home Surround Sound Speaker System in a closet. Is there any resale value, or should I eventually set them up?

Thanks. :D
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I have a question.

My TV is semi broken. I replaced the lamp. It's a projection TV.

Samsung
    Model Code HL61A650C1FXZA
    Version PK01

The screen has a stream of white pixel spots appearing in a band across the bottom, it looks like the milky way if I had to describe it. I don't know if it's the screen it's self or the little TV inside? I don't have the money to have the TV repair guy to come to my house again. And it's really to complicated for me to figure out. Please let me know if you have any clues.
    I also have a Harmon/Karmon ARV receiver with no cables collecting dust and a
    Bose CINEMATE Home Surround Sound Speaker System in a closet. Is there any resale value, or should I eventually set them up?

Thanks. :D

Hey there...

The WSS signal does NOT form part of the VBI in the PAL standard as stated in @Slam-Bang's document (this may be true in the NTSC world - I don't know…..). The WSS signal is inserted into the first half of TV line-23. This is the first active line of picture content in the PAL television system. For further reading please see ETSI document EN 300 294 Ver.1.3.2. where this is clearly defined. We need to refer back to the legacy that continues to plague us - in the early days of MPEG compression, all ancilliary data was stripped from the base-band signals prior to encoding. It remained imperative that the WSS was made available to receiving equipment and thus the decision to embed into line-23 (not an uncommon practice....) where it could be recovered.

At this point I need to point out what the purpose of Wide Screen Signalling is. The broadcaster will broadcast only one version of the content (movie, doccie etc.) and send an ancilliary data stream to control a set-top box downstream of the transmission i.e. the Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC) needed to carry out this function is built into the STB. In this way, bandwidth is conserved as only 1 copy of the content needs to be broadcast. The broadcaster could just as easily ARC the content in the base-band and then transmit 2 versions of the content – one for 16:9 (wide-screen) receivers and one for standard 4:3 receivers. If this was to be done, then there would be no need for the WSS and this thread would die a death…..

The subtitle information that @Slam-Bang refers to is indeed embedded in the VBI (I think on line-22…). This data is stripped off the base-band signal by the broadcaster prior to MPEG encoding and then sent as a data stream to the STB for decoding – hence this info is not seen as data in the active picture area.

Teletext information may or may not be encoded into the VBI. It is my understanding that this data information is generally encoded into the VBI and should therefore not be visible in the active picture area. On examining the BBC World service, I see the data in the active picture area, but cannot work out what this is. It looks like VITC (Vertical Information Time Code), but again this would normally be encoded into the (“invisible”) VBI. I know that the BBC has different output deals with many broadcasters around the world, and this may be their way of implementing an opt-out trigger for broadcasters to insert their local content into the program stream….but this is only a guess….

In conclusion, I do not believe that MC is doing anything “wrong” by broadcasting WSS embedded with the picture info. The root cause of this problem is the adherence to legacy standards that impact on our current viewing experience. IMHO there are only a few possible ways of solving this dilemma

1). Move away from WSS and implement AFD (Active Format Descriptor). This in itself has a huge impact on the receiving equipment that will most definitely need to change – at your own cost…
    2). Possibly MC may be able to implement a “cheat” in their software to mask line 23 and thus hide the offending data.
    3). We could all buy new 16:9 receivers and the need for WSS goes away.
    4). Set your ARC within the STB to “Cropped or Pillar box” and watch full height pictures, but lose the information on the sides…

Hope this helps.
    chinese-happy.jpg