When Albums Ruled the World

BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
edited February 2013 in Other Music
A fantastic look at the golden age of vinyl. A must watch for any fan of LP's. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4kpy1YuNQ
Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
10-16-2014 Detroit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cool, will def watch that.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    watched the first five mins at breakfast this morning. looks like its going to be great.
  • Just over half way through, it's pretty interesting. A lot of music history to get through.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    A fantastic look at the golden age of vinyl. A must watch for any fan of LP's. Enjoy!!!

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I just went to my local music store (all vinyl) and I can listen to the owner talk for hours on his favorite albums..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I just went to my local music store (all vinyl) and I can listen to the owner talk for hours on his favorite albums..

You're welcome!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

Where o where is that local vinyl music store, I'd love to visit the place?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    g under p wrote:

Where o where is that local vinyl music store, I'd love to visit the place?

Peace
    Aw man you'll love this place. Downtown lake worth. It's just off lake avenue on south "J" street. Top five records. The owners name is John and the nicest dude around. He actually keeps it low key on purpose, but it's a fantastic place.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Yep I'll be watching that too, looks like my cuppa tea. Thanks for posting!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Excellent video. Thanks for posting it!

Vinyl albums still rule in my world. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

"You've got to do the same ritual [carefully putting the record on], that same preparatory ritual before you can sit back and go... ahhh!"
    -Vernon Reid

"I love the ritual of turning the record over."
    - A record dealer I spoke with several years ago in Santa Rosa, CA
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I think that always listening to a full album as they were meant to be heard is what I love most about vinyl. :) Before I got back into it, I think I really missed out for a long time. Looking forward to watching this vid. Thanks for posting!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thanks for posting this, definitely a great watch. One thing that surprised me is that I dont recall a single mention of Neil Young
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Thanks for posting this, definitely a great watch. One thing that surprised me is that I dont recall a single mention of Neil Young

NO! You're right- not a single mention of NY-- I noticed that too. For shame! And yet again The Sex Pistols- who were great in their own way- are given credit for creating punk. A good case can be argued for that I suppose but I'd have at least included the Ramomes, Television and the New York Dolls in the discussion. I don't remember either of those bands being mentioned. (Nor were PJ but this film is about music prior to the 90's).

My only other sort-of issue with this documentary is that it focuses mainly on big name groups and musicians. Yes, they and the major labels comprised the biggest dent in LP sales but the film would have been even better if mention had been made of the smaller, independent labels like SST, Twin Tone, Editions EG and the like- groups and labels that were a big part of the "golden age of vinyl". The small independent labels gave many great bands a foot up and a chance to be heard.

Worth watching, never the less.

• London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    Great documentary :thumbup:

I'm never parting with my collection