Options

Does anyone know...

KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
edited February 2013 in Lost Dogs
how many original copies of each LP were pressed? I was just perusing PJ vinyl on eBay and someone wrote that there are only 2000 copies of Avocado. I don't know if that's true or not, but it got me wondering how many copies of each albums were actually sold, especially with the huge spike in the value of vinyl over the last couple years. Is that info listed anywhere?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how many were pressed, but I do have some very interesting info about the vinyl. I have long wondered why the band bothered with vinyl. Was it just some punk rock aesthetic? I have ten years worth of Christmas singles I have never been able to listen to.

That isn't why they do vinyl, though. They do vinyl because it is (or was) the only music medium that the library of Congress collects and archives. Pretty damn smart when you see it that way.

Lono
    Denver, CO
    www.IamCorrect.com
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    no
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Most limited pressings run 2000 or 5000
  • Options
    sctt_perry wrote:

But were the albums that are considered rare now meant to be limited pressings when they were first released? I've always bought every album on vinyl when they first came out and have never had a problem finding them. In fact, back in the Tower Records day, you could always find the vinyl in the store along with the Cd. No special order needed. That's kinda why I don't get the surge in value, or how they are even considered "rare" now.
  • Options
    KC2917 wrote:
    sctt_perry wrote:

But were the albums that are considered rare now meant to be limited pressings when they were first released? I've always bought every album on vinyl when they first came out and have never had a problem finding them. In fact, back in the Tower Records day, you could always find the vinyl in the store along with the Cd. No special order needed. That's kinda why I don't get the surge in value, or how they are even considered "rare" now.

Value and rarity are a funny thing. If you consider how many are available on the market, they ARE both RARE and of more value. Why? Because by now most have found their "home." That is, most folks who own it aren't selling it unless they get a ridiculous price to part with it. Therefore, the available copies are fewer and further between than they were say just last year. As time goes on, this only becomes more true. So, unless something is of no value or so saturates the market that it's readily available in the discount bin, or gets re-printed, so on and so forth, it almost inevitably going to go up in value and be considered "rare." Not rare in the sense that many folks don't have it. Rare in the sense that if there are still folks that desire it, there are fewer AVAILABLE for them to have.

That being said, my guess of how many were printed is somewhere between 1 and 10,000,000.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    i think we are talking about the difference between

scarce and rare.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    KL40564 wrote:
    That isn't why they do vinyl, though. They do vinyl because it is (or was) the only music medium that the library of Congress collects and archives. Pretty damn smart when you see it that way.

Correct. Each year, songs are picked for inclusion. It's about the most pure form of musical archiving around. They have some amazing artifact on record. Some of the stuff would blow you away.
  • Options
    That being said, my guess of how many were printed is somewhere between 1 and 10,000,000.

I bet it was more than 1.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    go to

twofeetthick dot com

ask them directly. or dig in the archives. They always respond very promptly.