Options

Recommend a pedal

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited February 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
I play my acoustic far more frequently than my electric. I want to get a pedal or two to have a little fun and encourage myself to play the electric more often. What are some reasonably inexpensive FUN pedals to buy first? Delay? Reverb? Wah? Assuming I'm only going to buy one for now, which would you start with and why?
Thanks!
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    hey hey,

hmmmm... tough question, but not impossible to answer. You've got to start somewhere right?

Ok, you want to coerce yourself a little to start paying more attention to the electric. I'm in the same boat. The acoustic is my go-to guitar, unless I'm in a band, then I grab the electric and the amp.

I don't think I'd buy a peddle that does just ONE function (distortion, wah, alien voices...), but rather I'd grab one that can do a multitude of things. Maybe, if you can muster up the savings for a while, it's wise to purchase a new digital amp that has tens of presets built into it. One to take a serious look at is the Crate DX112 or DX212 Digital amp. It has a beautiful sound and comes with a foot pedal that you can program presets into, from the buttons on the amp itself. Very cool unit.

For a peddle alone, perhaps it's wise to look here; http://guitar-pedals-review.toptenreviews.com/

There are some great starter pedals and if you are good at saving up a bit of extra coin, some great intermediate and advanced pedals to choose from as well. I'd order straight from the site, unless you can find them locally. HAVE FUN making some noise!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Go for a delay. Just today I sat and spaced out for a couple hours with my Boss dd20 and Analogman.

Hell I have quite a bit of fun just going here http://proguitarshop.com/effects/delay-pedals.html and watching the demo vids. Check out the other stuff too. All kinds of crazy sounds to be made.
  • Options
    My first pedals was a DS1 Distortion. Classic!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I vote delay. Infinite amounts of fun...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Get a used Line 6 M5. Consider it a sampler of pretty much every effect out there.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I vote delay. Infinite amounts of fun...
    Delay + ebow + slide = great fun
  • Options
    Boss ME 70 multi effects pedal

has all the aforementioned effects in one....i've been having a lot of fun with mine lately....when you're playing alone in your room, you can strum chords and loop it....and then solo over it....so i'll do a reggae chord thing, and then solo over it using wah wah...or do a blues chord progression, then solo over it using overdrive and delay

or i'll do the chords to Immortality, Black, Red Mosquito, Yellow Ledbetter, etc and do my attempt at a McCready solo using the appropriate effects

Boss ME 50 is similar, many say distortion sounds a lot better on it, but it doesnt have the loop feature

people say the sound of multi-effects pedals arent as great as if you had each individual pedal, but its more than ok for playing in the bedroom...plus, both myself and the other guitarist in my band use these Boss multi-effects pedals at gigs, and so far in 5 years of playing gigs no one has ever stormed the stage complaining that they're not enjoying the music because our pedals dont sound good enough...so there!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I have the Boss ME-50 and love it! A bit pricey as it's outdated.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    noob question, is delay essentially the same as loop? That Boss ME-70 is pretty sweet
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    noob question, is delay essentially the same as loop? That Boss ME-70 is pretty sweet
    loop is one type of delay...other delay settings are more like echo
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    Ibanez Tube Screamer. Used by every guitarist on stage.
  • Options
    Let's get REAL basic...the most important pedal ANY guitarist will EVER own.... a tuner pedal. It sounds like nothing special but it makes life SO much easier. The TU2 has the bypass setting, too. I'm able to flip that on and turn off the signal so I switch guitars without the loud pop. Delay is great...but like any effect, it can be overused. Start with something simple...overdrive/distortion or chorus. If you're unsure of the effect and don't want to blow a ton of money (and you won't be doing heavy stomping) danelectro pedals (especially the minis) are a great start.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,670
    I don't know how good they're made now but I bought an brand new original Dunlop Cry Baby in 1968 and it was a gas to play with! It was stolen from me in 1970 and I've never had the heart to replace it. :(
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hot Cake. Gives a sweet dirty distortion tone.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.