Options

Best/worst Christmas gifts you've received

CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
We've all had those moments... There's the excitement of Christmas morning and spending time with the ones you love... A package lies before you, perfectly wrapped and holding the potential to be something awesome... And then you open it only to find.... Something that really takes an effort to smile over.

I am of course grateful for all gifts I receive, don't get me wrong, but I think we've all received those wacky, over the top gifts that just kind of make you wonder why you're receiving it :p

For me it was a hideous pair of Tweety Bird slippers. Last year. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't really care for things like that, especially Looney Toones characters, as I hate them. Sadly, it wasn't a gag gift and my mother was the giver. I still thanked her though and put them in a nice corner of my bedroom... Last week she found them untouched when I returned home. Ouch...

But then there are times when our eyes sparkle over a precious gem laid out in front of us. Someone takes the time and effort to really get to know you and know your wants and desires. You receive the perfect gift.

My perfect gift came from my grandfather. He wasn't big on the music scene, but he was big on me and knew that music was becoming a huge love to me when I was a younger age. My parents were highly against my love for bands such as Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam... Thinking they were worthless and would make me too rebellious. They refused to purchase the albums for me, so naturally it was very difficult to have a chance to listen to these bands.

When I opened my Christmas present from my grandfather one year, I was thrilled to find hands clasped together pointing upward... The album Ten. Underneath it I found Alice in Chains :)

So I question all of you to dig back into your memories and share with us the best and worst gifts you have ever received for Christmas.

Also, what makes a gift amazing?

I always had this thing where I felt that making gifts and putting your own personality and connection to the other half in the gift was the best way to give. So basically, I feel hand crafted gifts are the best, but we don't always have time to do so, so finding something that someone truly is defined by works too :)

Well, go on and share!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My best Christmas present ever? My first drumset when I was eight.

My worst? Nelly's debut album.

My auntie and uncle did it - I still to this day don't know why because they know what music I listen to.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    CateetoCateeto Posts: 377

My auntie and uncle did it - I still to this day don't know why because they know what music I listen to.
    See! That's what upset me about my worst gift. It wasn't that I was appalled by the idea of receiving the slippers, but the idea that it was from a person who knows my personal likes and dislikes and knew heavily that that was a dislike.

I sometimes think our relatives/friends may feel obligated to give us gifts and towards the end of their stressful holiday shopping, end up grabbing the first thing in sight which happened to be a Nelly CD for you and Tweety Bird for me...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Best - Tool Kit for Her - it rocks!
    Worst - Barbie Airplane. My mom was so against us growing up as barbie worshipers that it floors me she bought this for me. Of course, Barbie has an occupation, but still. I liked my Cher doll, though :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

My worst? Nelly's debut album.

Sorry, but that's hilarious! Were they just fucking with you? Sounds like something my Uncle would do to me. Give me a 2 live crew cd or something.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Best- Tickets to see PJ in Hawaii:)
    Worst- Nick Lachey CD
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Sorry, but that's hilarious! Were they just fucking with you? Sounds like something my Uncle would do to me. Give me a 2 live crew cd or something.

I just honestly don't know. It baffles me. I remember their faces when they said 'We hoped you'd like that one.' :o

Hot in Heeeeerrrrrree indeed.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    My brother bought me a potato one Christmas.

He wrapped it in newspaper as well. :D
    Besides that, he and my partner normally buy the best gifts.
  • Options
    My brother bought me a potato one Christmas.

He wrapped it in newspaper as well. :D
    Besides that, he and my partner normally buy the best gifts.

my brother once got me these frogs that dance when music plays.
    it wasn't the worst gift ever though because it was intentionally shitty.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Best: Tickets to the 2005 Daytona 500 with airfare. My Dad gave them to me. I'm not a big NASCAR fan for anything but he is. It was a father/son weekend. My dad's getting up there and has a lot of health issues and wanted to do something like that while he could. We weren't really close when I was growing up but have since become very close. It was a total surprise. I'll never forget that.

Worst: Some extremely cheap and nasty cologne my sister gave me once.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Best: My brother "found" one of these for me: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/aus/images/i35sign.jpg

Worst: A Ricky Martin CD.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    best? socks.

worst? fruitcake.
  • Options
    Best: my first bf bought me freeway navel oranges, and wrote a poem on each one of them with a sharpie marker...and he wrapped each one in a separate box, with California Walnuts. it was the coolest thing ever.

worst: A former female best friend wrapped a very suggestive framed photo of herself with my then-current boyfriend and gave me that, with a letter telling me that they had been together the whole time I was with him...and they loved each other. It is one of the reasons I hate the line "the heart wants what the heart wants" one of the dumbest freaking things i have ever heard/read, Anyhow, after the cops left, I never spoke to either of them again.

they got married, I was told...meh, whatever!

actually that is now something I laugh about - so I don't know if it should tech. be the worst gift...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Coleco Vision when I was 10. Never really got a bad gift, I got a crappy book once I suppose.

For a gift exchange at work though this one guy got a good sized box of very used kittly litter with some rather choice nuggets placed right on top. Not a word of a lie, his eyes were watering, the ammonia was pretty fierce. He opened it right in front of the entire dept. Man...he was seriously pissed which made it better. I was practically gagging on my own snot from laughter as was everyone else. Still makes me laugh years later to think about it. What a screwed up place to work.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    worst: A former female best friend wrapped a very suggestive framed photo of herself with my then-current boyfriend and gave me that, with a letter telling me that they had been together the whole time I was with him...

Oh dear GOD! I read the first line and laughed hysterically... and then very quickly my face turned from this :D to this :(. And then this :eek:

...and then I went like this :mad: and after, I went like this. :cool:

and finally... :hungry:
  • Options
    worst: A former female best friend wrapped a very suggestive framed photo of herself with my then-current boyfriend and gave me that, with a letter telling me that they had been together the whole time I was with him...and they loved each other. It is one of the reasons I hate the line "the heart wants what the heart wants" one of the dumbest freaking things i have ever heard/read, Anyhow, after the cops left, I never spoke to either of them again.
    :eek:That is some cold blooded shit right there.:eek:
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    When i was eleven the only things I got for Christmas that year was a pair of socks and a bottle of fingernail polish. now i'm not complaing because those were the only things that I got because i understand my parents couldn't provide presents that year, but that's not the point. it's that this pair of socks were the most hidious looking socks ever made...they were brown and orange and white striped. maybe it's just that i suppose if I knew that a kid's only christmas present was going to be a bottle of fingernail polish and a pair of socks, i'd at least make sure that the socks were pretty or at least plain. :)

I the best presents were things that my kids made by hand. like when my daughter was in kindergarten she made this christmas ornament...it was a star made out of applesauce(it doesn't go bad, it just kinda evaporates) and cinnamon. well now that star has fallen apart to the point where it's just a brown blob on a string. so now every year I ask my daughter "would you like to hang the christmas turd on the tree?" :D:p
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Oh dear GOD! I read the first line and laughed hysterically... and then very quickly my face turned from this :D to this :(. And then this :eek:

...and then I went like this :mad: and after, I went like this. :cool :

and finally... :hungry:

hahahahaaa MCKB - woah you experienced the rainbow of emotions...and now you are :tired: and :emotionally spent: hahahahaaa

I can laugh about it now...so it's no worries
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    :eek:That is some cold blooded shit right there.

yeah - but I can laugh about it now, because really, that is quite a bullet I dodged, with that joker - and well, I don't need non-friends...they aren't helpful in life at all! hahahaa
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Best christmas gift: either two weeks in Hawaii all expense paid trip thanks to my parents :) or my laptops
    Worst christmas gift: hm...i dont think i ever recieved a bad gift before come to think of it
  • Options
    best present: all expense paid trip with my mom to Paris/and London and 15k to spend there on our trip!!!! Mind blowing. My dad got a good bonus that year!

Worst: the Clay Aiken cd.
  • Options
    i got this bouncy ball soccer thing that also had a parachute.

sounds cool right? if you tried to bounce it, it opened and just flopped on the floor. and the parachute didnt work when you threw it up. it was about 2 dollars. it was the worst gift ever but i didnt complain because we were very poor that year and i knew that my parents couldnt afford anything else. but it was then i decided that i love giving gifts way more than recieving.

best gift? my wife set up a hotel room, romantic night, and dressed up for me, and had a wonderful night together.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    last year kathy got me some pearl jam bootlegs....

because thats just what i fucking needed.....some more fucking pearl jam cd's.....hehehehehe

about 10 years ago my sister got me a sweater......the same exact fucking sweater she had gotten me the year before.....hehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Best: Duran Duran roadie jacket when I was 8 or 9. My mom had a hell of a time finding one, despite the commercials on MTV making them seem easy to purchase. My mom had a list of all of these different phone numbers trying to track one down. I still have the list in my babybook. :)

I've recieved a lot of cheesy gifts throughout the years, no biggie. As already stated, I think people get in a hurry and feel pressured to buy SOMETHING. But, ....

Worst: Last year my mom got me a 2006 calendar. :confused: And the ugliest scarf, which I turned into a great gift for my dogs - a tug of war toy! :p

With my mom, her gifts let me know where I stand. Last year I was clearly on her shitlist. Whatever. :D
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Anyhow, after the cops left, I never spoke to either of them again.

Huh? ;)
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Worst: I have a friend who is 'an artist' :rolleyes: Every FUCKING YEAR!!!!! :eek:

Also I got shittish pressies when I was a kid... every year I couldn't understand why my sister got fantastic pressies and I got mediocre ones and she even got some stuff that I was SURE I'd pointed out and that I woulda got. I always wondered why santy loved her more than me... cos she wasn't even all that good! :o

Well years later I found out it was cos she was MUCH better at getting up early than me... she used to wait til santy had come, go downstairs, pick what she wanted off my pile and swap it with something from hers that she didn't want :mad: . My parents could never say anything cos that would give the game away but I could remember them asking questions like 'are you sure that was there' and my sister going 'yeh, it's mine' or I'd get something in the stocking corelating to something on her pile... it often never added up. I wonder if my parents thought it was hilarious or were fit to kill her :D .
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Best present ever:

Mum and Dad saw how disappointed I was when I missed out on tickets to the 1995 Vitalogy tour when I was 15.5 years old. We live a long way away from the venue so they advertised in a southern newspaper for 2 tickets. I had no idea they were doing it.

Mum picked me up from school (grade 11) and handed me an envelope. TWO FUCKING TICKETS!!!! Mum and Dad got us great seats on the right side a quarter of the way up. I think the tickets were face value $37 each and they paid over $100 each ticket for me and my sister (19). Then they gave us an all expenses paid trip and for 3 days and flights to Brisbane. It wasn't for a birthday, xmas etc. They did it just because they wanted to.

Best experience of my life. I haven't missed one of the next 3 tours. Gee I love my Mum and Dad!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    The best gift I ever received was money,

The worst gift I ever received was a 2004 Jeter All Star jersey. So fucking ugly. Still haven't worn it and I don't even know where it is.
  • Options
    My dad actually made me an eddie vedder tshirt this year using a gig photo i took. Hes never done anything like that before and i was really delighted :)
    On the bad front i got a really expensive framed print of a cartoon i have never been interested in from my brother that really annoys me as he asked me what i wanted and i told him and then i got this instead.....such is life though..i know he meant well!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    Best (PJ Related): Ten basketball picture disc in 92 - still never played.

Worst: Well, it doesn't happen any more. as of about 10 years ago, a few friends and I get together after every Christmas and play poker with our worst most useless presents. "I'll see your socks and raise you these bath salts". "Ill see your bath salts with this naff picture frame".... and with another friend we have an agreement that we don't buy each other gifts, we just give each out the crappiest present we get each year. sadly, both of these situations make you wish you got crappy presents every year! :)
  • Options
    tallman72tallman72 Posts: 353
    its none pearl jam related and xmas related , but my mum once bought me back from holidays a toilet brush , and she wasnt joking , lol classic she still gets it about to this day
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    worst.....and i still don't get it.....but one year my dad and step mom took a 24 pack of coke, cut it in half and game my brother half and me half. i think i also got some pencils and tube socks that year. :fp: :fp: :fp: i was 20 something at the time and it's not like they were on foodstamps.

so the next year, i went and got the cheapest thing i could find at walmart....and gave them a can of popcorn.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg