Ed's voice on the 2012 boots

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,840
    vant0037 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I like Bob Dylan's voice so I'll just stay out of this conversation :lol:
    Doesn't everyone like Bob Dylan's voice??

I used to like Bob Dylan's voice. I just saw him two weeks ago and it was...um...well...at least I can say "I got to see Bob Dylan, right?"

Last time I saw him was 2 years ago. Wish I hadn't gone to see that show cause damn!!! It was just painfully to watch. The band members on stage didn't know wtf was going on. Bob was just mumbling and just not in sync with the band. Fan's were just confused. My friend next to me loved it so very much. I couldn't tell if he was just high or faking it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    demetrios wrote:
    I couldn't tell if he was just high or faking it.
    :lol:

That's too bad about Dylan. :( Wtf happened? Did he go senile or something?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    didnt Ed just say at a show he quit smoking? i dont remember seeing him smoke at Made in America.

But yeah i agree his voice on any bootleg post 2006 is rough, although live you dont notice it as much.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I like how ED Sounded on the *2003* tour the BEST...:)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    didnt Ed just say at a show he quit smoking? i dont remember seeing him smoke at Made in America.

But yeah i agree his voice on any bootleg post 2006 is rough, although live you dont notice it as much.
    he was smoking at europe 12 tour
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534

I beleive he said something about how he doesn't smoke pot anymore - which he has been talking about almost every night on his US solo tour is smoking pot. :lol:

I know in ATL during the solos of Crazy Mary, Ed came down off the stage right by the rail and was having a smoke in front of the crowd in watching in wonder with the rest of us while Mike and Boom were taking care of business.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    CrookedTom wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    It's gone south pretty fast since around 2006.

Still one of the best, but some songs are pretty rough these days.

Nothing As It Seems - Amsterdam 2. Damn he's struggling on that one, during the Verses.
    The man was at his peak 2000-2006 - but I guess pushing 50 it's natural the voice will decline a little.

As others have noted, his smoking just accelerates the decline. :(
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Having just seen three solo shows, all I can say is Ed's voice sounded awesome!! :clap::clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Having just seen three solo shows, all I can say is Ed's voice sounded awesome!! :clap::clap:
    :D Yup. I think he sounds great. I just happened to hear Not For You from Missoula 2 months ago while on random shuffle and it sounds absolutely perfect, and that's not exactly a soft song.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Prop's to Ed. Quitting Smoking is one of the hardest things to do.I don't know if anyone here likes Willie Nelson, But that Dude is pushing 80, and still smoking pot. Granted, He never pushed his vocal limit's like Ed has, And yes vocal strain is bound to catch up with you. But I don't hear any drag or drop's in his slower song's. He has modified some of his higher ranged songs to fit his vocal format, they may come off a little different than what we're used to hearing, But he still does it well. Change is good. :D
  • Options
    He sounds great to me on the Amsterdam bootleg. And he sounded great in Atlanta. What everyone's probably hearing is the effect of 10,000 people hijacking a song and singing it off-key. How he manages to sing anything right amid all that shows how talented he is! Betterman and Alive are long gone, but please people, let the man keep SOME of his songs, especially Release. Especially Release!
  • Options
    RozbrRozbr Posts: 376
    I love the band...love ed's voice.....i don't care about anything.....

When i listen to them it seems i'm in heaven everytime.....
  • Options
    Denial is a wonderful thing. His voice is pretty much toasted. I am not delusional in thinking he will scream like it's the 90's. What I would hope would be that he could make it through a song without all of the cheesy vocal inflections, croaks, and squeeks. Sadly, he can't and a lot of the songs are quite painful to listen to. His last good tour was 2006. After that, the weird inflections started. It's like he has completely lost control of his voice
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    Denial is a wonderful thing. His voice is pretty much toasted. I am not delusional in thinking he will scream like it's the 90's. What I would hope would be that he could make it through a song without all of the cheesy vocal inflections, croaks, and squeeks. Sadly, he can't and a lot of the songs are quite painful to listen to. His last good tour was 2006. After that, the weird inflections started. It's like he has completely lost control of his voice

I'm pretty sure that vibrato thing is a vocal technique he's doing on purpose; I think he's in total control of his voice. After a while, being a creative person, he just needs to change sh!t up.
    Someone should ask him about that next time they're waiting for him after a show!
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    I think that's a bit of a crazy thing to say. We all have brains and ears. He hasn't lost control of his voice - he's making decisions on what he sounds like; as far as I can tell, there is only one note that he isn't pulling off well. The rest is just what he sounds like while in control. If you just don't happen to like how he sounds, that isn't the same as him losing control. It's just a matter of taste (and if you think he sounds so bad, why are you still in the fan club?). And I love listening to all of his songs - the opposite of painful. It's kind of ridiculous to say that all of his fans are in denial. :roll:
  • Options
    Sorry to hurt your feelings so much, but to say he sounds great these days is pretty fucking comical. He has gone down hill dramatically from 2007-2012. His voice now sounds terrible with all of the quavering and breathiness. His voice cracks and it sounds like he is choking out notes on a lot of songs. By losing control, I think when he opens his mouth on a lot of songs, I get the feeling he has no idea how it's going to sound. The guy is close to 50 and age, touring, smoking, and drinking have a good bit to do with the decline, but to say he sounds great today as compared to the 2000-2006 period is laughable. It's a good bit of denial on a significant part of the fans these days. People have a hard time admitting that the end of PJ is getting closer. And please, piss on your "Why are you even in the fan club?" crap. I've been around since 95 and seen them through some great times. I can say now is not one of those.
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    The negativity around his voice is interesting to me in that I was recently thinking how great he was sounding. Different ears different perspective I guess. I'm happy with how they are sounding 20 years later but certainly don't begrudge someone thinking otherwise.
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    Sorry to hurt your feelings so much, but to say he sounds great these days is pretty fucking comical. He has gone down hill dramatically from 2007-2012. His voice now sounds terrible with all of the quavering and breathiness. His voice cracks and it sounds like he is choking out notes on a lot of songs. By losing control, I think when he opens his mouth on a lot of songs, I get the feeling he has no idea how it's going to sound. The guy is close to 50 and age, touring, smoking, and drinking have a good bit to do with the decline, but to say he sounds great today as compared to the 2000-2006 period is laughable. It's a good bit of denial on a significant part of the fans these days. People have a hard time admitting that the end of PJ is getting closer. And please, piss on your "Why are you even in the fan club?" crap. I've been around since 95 and seen them through some great times. I can say now is not one of those.
    You haven't hurt my feelings. :lol: I think he sounds great. No one has claimed that his voice hasn't changed. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you like the change. I do a LOT. I think he sounds GREAT. I've listened to a good number of the boots from this year, and was in MT, and he sounds Amazing! :) If you find that comical, I guess I'm glad I could make you laugh? I don't begrudge people not liking it either, but I do not feel so hot about people saying that those who do like it are in denial or have no idea what they're talking about. I ask why you're in the fan club just because it strikes me as strange to pay to be in one where the artists' CURRENT work is what you're getting as a benefit for that money. Tickets for their shows, current recordings, etc. Ummm, so piss on that? :lol:
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I saw him on his solo tour this year and he did sound very solid!

With PJ, it has gotten quite bad since around '06. Eventually, I think if PJ wants to keep going they may have to consider slowing it down...and perhaps put some songs away for good.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I don´t understand this discussion really. Ed has a baritone voice that can resist the decline of age better than a tenor voice - example: Chris Cornell.
    Of course his voice changes a bit - he´s getting older!
    But I´m still amazed by the very few mistakes he makes when listening to the boots. Considering the amount of songs and the audience sing-along. He still pulls it off!

I gotta agree that he sounds a bit exhausted sometimes on the fast songs but that is more a Cameron problem in my ears....

Btw, only place he really sounds off key in recent years is in 'Mother' which is kind of funny since it´s a pretty simple note. Anyone noticed that? During the verses, he often doesn´t get the 'for me' - 'to me' right. Pretty hilarious :lol: '

However, Ed is in full control as always.

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    CharlieP wrote:
    I don´t understand this discussion really. Ed has a baritone voice that can resist the decline of age better than a tenor voice - example: Chris Cornell.
    Of course his voice changes a bit - he´s getting older!
    But I´m still amazed by the very few mistakes he makes when listening to the boots. Considering the amount of songs and the audience sing-along. He still pulls it off!

I gotta agree that he sounds a bit exhausted sometimes on the fast songs but that is more a Cameron problem in my ears....

Btw, only place he really sounds off key in recent years is in 'Mother' which is kind of funny since it´s a pretty simple note. Anyone noticed that? During the verses, he often doesn´t get the 'for me' - 'to me' right. Pretty hilarious :lol: '

However, Ed is in full control as always.
    Well, according to HailRoad, you are just in denial. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    You haven't hurt my feelings. :lol: I think he sounds great. No one has claimed that his voice hasn't changed. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you like the change. I do a LOT. I think he sounds GREAT. I've listened to a good number of the boots from this year, and was in MT, and he sounds Amazing! :) If you find that comical, I guess I'm glad I could make you laugh? I don't begrudge people not liking it either, but I do not feel so hot about people saying that those who do like it are in denial or have no idea what they're talking about. I ask why you're in the fan club just because it strikes me as strange to pay to be in one where the artists' CURRENT work is what you're getting as a benefit for that money. Tickets for their shows, current recordings, etc. Ummm, so piss on that? :lol:

He sounds great? :roll:

I have followed this band for 17 years and this is the worst I've seen them. I have a little bit of objectivity in me to sit back and actually say, they were great for about 16 years, but for the past 5-6, they've been mailing it in and Eddie's voice can't handle PJ songs on a full tour. Tell you what, pick a song Ed used to nail in his sleep (say Animal) from 2006 and then from 2012 and compare them. If you can say the version from 2012 is better than the 2006 with a straight face you may hear me laughing all the way up in Canada.

It was a good run, but they should seriously think about calling it quits before they become a parody of themselves. I've enjoyed my spot in the fan club and this will probably be my last year. I've enjoyed the perks, bought multiple full tours on bootlegs, seen multiple shows, and gotten plenty of merchandise, but the standard of music from them over the past 6 years has been pretty subpar.
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    HailRoad24 wrote:

He sounds great? :roll:

I have followed this band for 17 years and this is the worst I've seen them. I have a little bit of objectivity in me to sit back and actually say, they were great for about 16 years, but for the past 5-6, they've been mailing it in and Eddie's voice can't handle PJ songs on a full tour. Tell you what, pick a song Ed used to nail in his sleep (say Animal) from 2006 and then from 2012 and compare them. If you can say the version from 2012 is better than the 2006 with a straight face you may hear me laughing all the way up in Canada.

It was a good run, but they should seriously think about calling it quits before they become a parody of themselves. I've enjoyed my spot in the fan club and this will probably be my last year. I've enjoyed the perks, bought multiple full tours on bootlegs, seen multiple shows, and gotten plenty of merchandise, but the standard of music from them over the past 6 years has been pretty subpar.
    :fp: Dude. I've been a fan for 21 years, and listen to PJ music from every part of their career on a daily basis. I'll listen to a studio album or a boot from 94 and a 2012 boot on the same day. I know what it sounds like then and now. I didn't say he sounds the same, bit I think he still sounds GREAT. I loved how he sounded then, and love how he sounds now. I enjoy it equally. Why can't just believe me and respect that I think he still sounds really good, albeit not exactly the same, instead of trying to laugh at me? Geeeez. :roll:

The only thing I wish he and the band would do now is play some of their weirder or experimental stuff. I keep hearing them talk about hiwbthey do still create more experimental music together, but, quoted from Jeff, "it never sees the light of day," and apparently it's because they're hung up on the idea that too many people won't dig it during shows. I think they should just go for it and pull out some weirdness once in a while without worrying what the crowd thinks.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i heard a recording of him singing cat power's good woman in amsterdam where he sings the absolute bejesus out of it and thought to myself that he was sounding amazing. he did himself and the song justice.
  • Options
    i_lov_it wrote:

Yeah, you're right. He was bang on in 2003, however the band was sloppy, so many botch ups
    on the boots. Also touring a badly selling, rather average Riot Act album probably was a little flat.
    Also Cameron is drowned out on most of the boots which bothers me.
  • Options
    CrookedTom wrote:
    i_lov_it wrote:

Yeah, you're right. He was bang on in 2003, however the band was sloppy, so many botch ups
    on the boots. Also touring a badly selling, rather average Riot Act album probably was a little flat.
    Also Cameron is drowned out on most of the boots which bothers me.
    :shock: Please don't diss Riot Act - It hurts me inside. :nono:
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    These threads are seriously annoying. "I've been a fan for blah blah blah years...it's the smoking... I wish Ed would stop drinking,,his voice has gone downhill since 2003"
    how about "If I were Ed's Grandmother I'd be dissapointed in him"
    I see a lot of concerts and Ed's voice is disgustingly good and better that anyone half his age. His solo shows are very close to perfect.
    So Ed can't sing Blood every night - you try to sing it - once. Ok that's too hard. How about just singing the first line of the chorus once. Good luck
    Maybe I am just attending shows that happen to be freaking amazing. I guess I must be just fortunate that way.
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    I think the thing for me is that at the shows it is still good enough. It still reminds me of the past, but it is on the bootlegs where the decline shows through. I really can't listen to the current bootlegs anymore. They put his voice so up front and it is rough sometimes. His voice sounded beautiful on the solo tour so I think it is a matter of the energy required of a rock show on a 50 year old man, damage done to the vocals, dropping the tuning, and sometimes Ed is very drunk, stoned or both. Most importantly, it is that they play all different songs every night and instead of mastering a cookie cutter setlist, he has to do his best on the spot to make it work. Springsteen uses a teleprompter with lyrics. Ed just uses that old brain of his and sometimes he forgets and could use some more practice on a song.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    Hyperbolize much :lol:

Ed's fine, it isn't that dramatic. He sounds decent on the boots and is putting on a great show still. I honestly have no idea what the "end of PJ is getting closer" dribble is about.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,008
    sward wrote:
    The negativity around his voice is interesting to me in that I was recently thinking how great he was sounding. Different ears different perspective I guess. I'm happy with how they are sounding 20 years later but certainly don't begrudge someone thinking otherwise.
    Yeah I agree :thumbup:
    rustedsigns