Options

To vinyl or not to vinyl?

veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
edited September 2012 in The Porch
After browsing through record stores in Dublin this summer and having the Vs & Vitalogy reissues in my hand I've become really tempted to go back to collecting vinyl after 20 years of buying cd's but know how addictive it could become. I thought about which artists I would collect to begin with but ended up with a pretty big list in my head and I really don't know? I would have to have PJ, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Mark Lanegan, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Led Zep, The Doors, Soulsavers, Faith No More, The Beatles, Alice In Chains and many, many others. Is it really worth the extra expense in this digital age? I think about the ritual of buying it, studying the sleeve and inserts while listening to the music and of course that sound of the needle finding the groove! I've never once listened to PJ on vinyl in 20 years!! :|
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    as someone who just got a record player for the first time about 1 1/2 years ago, I'd say do it. I love the sound of it, and also that it doesn't allow you to skip anything...gives you more appreciation for albums as being one coherent piece of art.
    also, browsing record shops is a lot of fun, especially if you have big used vinyl stores like they do in the US (sadly, none of that available here :( )
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    do it.

it's a lot of fun to go to a record store & dig through the stacks. listening to vinyl is one of my favorite things to do. yes, it can be expensive....but you take your time & acquire the albums you really love. then, drop the needle & enjoy hearing the songs you love in a different way! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    as someone who just got a record player for the first time about 1 1/2 years ago, I'd say do it. I love the sound of it, and also that it doesn't allow you to skip anything...gives you more appreciation for albums as being one coherent piece of art.
    also, browsing record shops is a lot of fun, especially if you have big used vinyl stores like they do in the US (sadly, none of that available here :( )

The UK is pretty good for them. I was browsing in a few last week before a Mark Lanegan gig and then at the gig he was signing merch so I picked up a copy of Blues Funeral which he signed. It feels so great to hold compared to flimsy CDs. I have listened to CDs so long that I'm used to one piece of music but I grew up with Side A and Side B. I know it's not some major life decision but it does change things to some extent i.e. looking for record stores in every new town and city you visit which would result in Mrs Veddertown and the kids being dragged around everywhere! How much for a decent record player these days? :?

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Ya, I think it's really does make the whole music listening experience better , makes you get into the music more. It's a good hobby to have....
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    do it.

it's a lot of fun to go to a record store & dig through the stacks. listening to vinyl is one of my favorite things to do. yes, it can be expensive....but you take your time & acquire the albums you really love. then, drop the needle & enjoy hearing the songs you love in a different way! :)

I spent most my youth doing that Matt which was a long time ago... ;) Browsing used vinyl is a hobby in itself and my local store is currently stepping up it's vinyl stocks in the face of falling CD sales so I suppose there would always be something new. I'm such a bloody completist though which is what worries me. You can't just pick up the one Hendrix album and be content!

• Options
    I hear you. I never considered going for vinyl, until I got the Ten Collector's Edition thingie (which I didn't buy specifically for the vinyl). It's a real thrill holding a real record. I got the Vs. and Vitalogy vinyl also, since then.

I don't know whether I will start collecting Vinyl. I usually listen to mp3's, since I have been blessed with lousy hearing ;) I do love to own them, but like you said, it's gonna cost a lot of money. For now I just buy CD's and rip them to mp3.
    Claudio
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    I would say yes.

Vinyl sounds great and its fun to collect them. I don't buy many cd's anymore so it's been fun trying to acquire records to fill in my vinyl back catalog (especially from the early 90s rock era).

A number of albums from that area have been reissued and a number of them haven't. The ones that haven't can be prety rare and expensive.

Vinyl costs from that CD's too. Even new vinyl isn't cheap. Usually around $30-$40 for a new album.

Vinyl sounds good, its funny to collect but it can get expensive. If you're ok with that. Go for it.
  • Options
    its more expensive than drugs 8-)
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    veddertown wrote:
    I've never once listened to PJ on vinyl in 20 years!! :|

saddest sentence ever, however...
    its more expensive than drugs 8-)

well, maybe not the good stuff ;)
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    I think you should do it too. There's just something about the ritual of buying vinyl that cds and mp3s just don't come close to, although I'd say it's more like therapy than addiction.

I know what you mean about being a completist though, even one missing LP is like a huge chasm in the middle of my collection! Since I sold off a huge chunk of my records to fund a move a few years back I have managed to keep mine pretty much under control. There's only a few bands that I feel I need to own everything by on vinyl now (PJ, Neil, Lanegan), others I'll buy if the mood takes me.

How long until you start a "Looking for Benaroya/Soldier Field/Binaural..." thread in Lost Dogs? :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I wouldn't collect $Pearl Jam$ vinyl at these prices, just either wait for the reissues or wait till you have a vinyl that's appreciated in value and trade away. $100+ for one album is nuts.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    I have actually been thinking of doing the same thing. Just don't have a turntable. Has anyone know of a decently priced model of good quality?
    Manchester II - 6/21/12 / Philadelphia - 9/2/12 / Brooklyn I - 10/18/13 / Brooklyn II - !0/19/13
  • Options
    Do it!! and dont look back!!

just start acting like some sort of vinyl snob dick.. Digital is ok too.. Enjoy the benefits of both!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:

just start acting like some sort of vinyl snob dick.. Digital is ok too.. Enjoy the benefits of both!!

Agreed,
    IMHO Sigur Ros, Animal Collective, NIN, Flaming Lips...all sound better on CD.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    Caveeze wrote:

Agreed,
    IMHO Sigur Ros, Animal Collective, NIN, Flaming Lips...all sound better on CD.

Yep def agree with Animal Collective
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Caveeze wrote:

I meant to say just DONT start acting like...

My post doesn't make much sense the other way..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    spin, spin!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I know the PJ stuff and the others from the 90s when a lot of us stopped collecting is expensive now, but a ton of those artists you listed in the original post can be had for cheap. I just bought a Cat Stevens Greatest Hits record for a quarter yesterday at a used book sale.
  • Options
    usedrecordsandmore.com ;);)

I'm yo pusher 8-)
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    I've been wondering the same thing myself for a while now. After growing up as a kid listening to all of my dad's old records, I lost touch with it. Now that I have the Ten and Vs/Vitalogy collector's reissues, it's made me decide that it's time to start going for the vinyl again and start building the collection - as it will take a tremendous amount of time.....and money. :fp:
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Started by buying a Ten original pressing recently,and the drums blew my ass right outta the water,now I can't get enough and am working my way up through the PJ collection on vinyl.....BTW ISO a sealed original pressing of Vs........just sayin........
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Im collecting vinyl sloooooowwwlllly....I just need a vinyl player now :)
  • Options
    FrankY59 wrote:
    Mt. Clemens in the house!!!

this is the one i bought as my starter.. I am very happy with it..
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+USB+ ... Id=8734569
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

The UK is pretty good for them. I was browsing in a few last week before a Mark Lanegan gig and then at the gig he was signing merch so I picked up a copy of Blues Funeral which he signed. It feels so great to hold compared to flimsy CDs. I have listened to CDs so long that I'm used to one piece of music but I grew up with Side A and Side B. I know it's not some major life decision but it does change things to some extent i.e. looking for record stores in every new town and city you visit which would result in Mrs Veddertown and the kids being dragged around everywhere! How much for a decent record player these days? :?

I bought Mark Lanegan's Blues Funeral vinyl at his Aberdeen gig, lovely it is too :)
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I feel very lucky to be able to own and listen to vinyl. I most often listen to LP's as intentional experience- a listening experience almost as a ritual. I wait for the right time, the right space, the mood. Adjust lighting just right. Avoid distraction. Most of it really is ritual for me- setting the needle down gently, going into the music, switching the motor off, turning the record over. Going there again- into the music.

I know a guy who collects- no, frankly, he hoards- records in a garage. Nice guy- very nice guy- but unfortunate habit. Those records sit there in that garage, silent, waiting to be heard. Lost opportunities.

My honest advice is only collect what you want to enjoy. There aren't enough of some of these objects out there but there are more than enough ears that wanting to hear them.

Besides, analog love songs could save the world.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    usedrecordsandmore.com ;);)

I'm yo pusher 8-)

woo...great site! :D
  • Options
    Looking at record players.... 8-)

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    I must admit that I dont buy much vinyl, but I am a total sucker for color vinyl and limited editions sets :oops:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Caveeze wrote:
    FrankY59 wrote:
    Mt. Clemens in the house!!!

this is the one i bought as my starter.. I am very happy with it..
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+USB+ ... Id=8734569

Thanks, but I have my sights on the Rega RP1 orrr the RP3. My stalling is based on if I can afford to spend almost a G on the RP3. My wife and I just bought a house and I have a music room picked out for me, my vinyl and my player...nothing else :) Baby on the way too...so Ill need one of those baby fences to keep "it" out.