Options

Jeff talks about 99 Problems in Billboard...

pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
edited September 2012 in The Porch
http://www.billboard.com/news/pearl-jam ... 0152.story

"When Jay-Z joined Pearl Jam onstage to perform a mashup of "99 Problems/W.M.A." at Made In America Sunday (September 2) the crowd exploded, but PJ bassist Jeff Ament tells Billboard it was merely 30 minutes before the band's headlining set that the collaboration actually came together.

Sitting down for a wide-ranging Billboard video interview with his new side band RNDM this week, Ament explained that when Pearl Jam met up with fest curator Jay-Z the night before Made In America to go over the possible cameo, "it was fifty-fifty" that it would happen. But, "literally half an hour before the show he came in and worked through the arrangement... and within 30 seconds we knew it was going to be great."

"When you could that tell he was in, then you go into the show and you have this thing to look forward to at the end that's going to blow people's minds," Ament said, adding that onstage shortly into the performance, "Jay-Z turned around and looked at Matt [Cameron, Pearl Jam's drummer] with a big smile on his face and it was on."
aqo2t.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,955
    Thanks for sharing

I would love to know who made the WMA/99 Problems connection
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    If you click the link to the story there's a video, and Jeff explains how it came about...

http://www.billboard.com/news/pearl-jam ... 0152.story
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Jeff is bad ass.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,665
    one of the coolest moments in my 21 yrs of being a fan.
  • Options
    It was GREAT to see live. Not only was the crowd into it, but the band was obviously into it. These moments keep the band going. Thanks for making for a new PJ memory. I had fun at the show. :geek:
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,665
    looks like Ed and Jay-Z were the two who really communicated beforehand (about a month before Jeff said in SPIN). Cool to see two great lyricists together.
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    looks like Ed and Jay-Z were the two who really communicated beforehand (about a month before Jeff said in SPIN). Cool to see two great lyricists together.
    I keep wondering how the weed was. must have been really good. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    it was awesome...[rude comment removed by Admin]
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    one of the coolest moments in my 21 yrs of being a fan.

:)
    ABSOLUTELY.
    So great to see it in person. The lights, sound,crowd, video doesn't do it justice.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    The only way it would've been better is if they did a transition from WMA to 99 Problems. But then again it was badass when all the music stopped and Jay went right into it.

I'm still kicking myself because I was up against the barricade and let a girl go in front of me at the end so she could see better....Ed gave her his tambourine :fp: :fp: :fp:
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    The only way it would've been better is if they did a transition from WMA to 99 Problems. But then again it was badass when all the music stopped and Jay went right into it.

I'm still kicking myself because I was up against the barricade and let a girl go in front of me at the end so she could see better....Ed gave her his tambourine :fp: :fp: :fp:

Ahhhhh...

That was nice of you, man. You were part of creating a really nice memory for someone. Pay it forward. That's what life is all about. It'll come back around to you. Nice job, brotha. Glad you had a great show!
    :)
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    cool the band enjoy it ..and Matt played awesome!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    so jay z decided 30 minutes before.. probably because he knew that pearl jam would get a much bigger pop and steal the show like always.. So this is why we did not hear yellow ledbetter and McCreedys national anthem to end the made in "AMERICA" festival.. Weak!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Thanks for that! Definitely a moment I will remember forever!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    DEADMAN23 wrote:
    so jay z decided 30 minutes before.. probably because he knew that pearl jam would get a much bigger pop and steal the show like always.. So this is why we did not hear yellow ledbetter and McCreedys national anthem to end the made in "AMERICA" festival.. Weak!

:fp:

so something totally new and fun vs. something we have all heard a shit ton of times. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DEADMAN23 wrote:
    right on the money :lol::lol:
  • Options
    DEADMAN23 wrote:

They ended with a song by a CANADIAN too. How ironic was THAT?!?

LOVED IT!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Jeff is bad ass.
    no doubt about that
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    DEADMAN23 wrote:

You have seen the setlist right? Ledbetter never made the setlist Ed wrote up.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    DEADMAN23 wrote:

You have seen the setlist right? Ledbetter never made the setlist Ed wrote up.

dude is still crying about this. :lol:

did you see his thread on the topic :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I would have preferred to hear Yellow Ledbetter into 99 Problems.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I would have preferred to hear Yellow Ledbetter into 99 Problems.

:shock:

Now there's an idea!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/