Options

Seeking advice frm exp buyer re: buying frm Europe

densandensan Posts: 563
edited September 2012 in Lost Dogs
Hello to all the family members & happy holidays! I am posting this is several locations to reach and get advice from as members as I can. Please forgive me if you feel this is an inappropriate question for this forum. I am desperate for some help and advice. I sincerely do not want to anger anyone with this long post. I simply do not know what else to do.

If anyone in the US has experience buying from Europe I would really appreciate your input and advice. Me I am in the US, and the seller is in Europe, Italy, I think. This purchase I am making is for around 2 grand US funds, so we are both trying to make sure the process goes smoothly. We both agreed to get the PJ family input since neither of has experience with such a large sell/purchase.

I know to use PayPal, and we agree UPS is our best chance for this to go smoothly. What we do not know is:

• What happens in customs?
• Will I have to pay duty once I receive it in the US?
• Is it OK for him to pack it, or should UPS pack it to verify the contents are not damaged?
• I want insurance to cover my investment for around 2 grand Will it help me if there is damage?

I really do not know what else to ask you folks other then have there been any issues to watch out for either the seller in Europe, or me the buyer in the US?

Please help us with some words of wisdom, and any advice will be greatly appreciated and respectfully taken by both of us.

Thank you all for taking time out of your busy lives to read this, and offer any advice. Much appreciated and my best to you all and your families.

Densan :?
Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,583
    densan wrote:
    Hello to all the family members & happy holidays! I am posting this is several locations to reach and get advice from as members as I can. Please forgive me if you feel this is an inappropriate question for this forum. I am desperate for some help and advice. I sincerely do not want to anger anyone with this long post. I simply do not know what else to do.

If anyone in the US has experience buying from Europe I would really appreciate your input and advice. Me I am in the US, and the seller is in Europe, Italy, I think. This purchase I am making is for around 2 grand US funds, so we are both trying to make sure the process goes smoothly. We both agreed to get the PJ family input since neither of has experience with such a large sell/purchase.

I know to use PayPal, and we agree UPS is our best chance for this to go smoothly. What we do not know is:

• What happens in customs?
    • Will I have to pay duty once I receive it in the US?
    • Is it OK for him to pack it, or should UPS pack it to verify the contents are not damaged?
    • I want insurance to cover my investment for around 2 grand Will it help me if there is damage?

I really do not know what else to ask you folks other then have there been any issues to watch out for either the seller in Europe, or me the buyer in the US?

Please help us with some words of wisdom, and any advice will be greatly appreciated and respectfully taken by both of us.

Thank you all for taking time out of your busy lives to read this, and offer any advice. Much appreciated and my best to you all and your families.

Densan :?

Densan,

I suppose I can chime in with a bit of advice here. This past March I purchased an expensive & rare PJ item (~$1000) from a seller in the UK and it was an exceptionally smooth and pleasant transaction because the seller took the time to accommodate my specific shipping needs and also took the time to package the item carefully and correctly.

I'll start off by saying the seller shipped from the UK to Canada (Toronto) using DHL. I personally loathe the big US courier companies because of the exhortation by way of outrageous customs clearance & brokerage fees they charge to clear an item through customs. If the item is a high value item rest assured customs will pick up on it and charge you import duties and tax. You can contact US customs and/or the particular courier company you and the seller are considering and they'll discuss potential costs/fees with you associated with importing the item. In my case, there was a customs duty/import charge but it wasn't as bad as it could have been (undervalued the item on the paperwork).

As for packaging, a UPS shipping outlet will charge to package a shipment (keep in mind they can also package it even though you may not ship with UPS) and it's not cheap but in terms of protecting your investment it may be worthwhile, especially if the item is fragile. Ensure all documentation is correct for waybill and insurance purposes so the item clears customs smoothly.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    Thank you for the great advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help us. Very kind and much appreciated. :)

Best to you,
    Densan
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.