Options

Poster experts.......help me?

Not_4_YouNot_4_You Posts: 140
edited August 2012 in Lost Dogs
I have a question......but a story comes first.

My first PJ show was PJ20. A ten clubber treated me to his second tickets. He got the Alpine Valley package so needless to say, I was in heaven.
We go to the Merch tent the night before the show to buy stuff and I bought a couple tee-shirts and my very first poster. I tell the guy I want the Ames and Hampton show poster, he gets them for me; and as he is handing them to me the Hampton is on the top. He looks it over and says "Congrats man" to which I replay...."for what?". He tells me that all the Hampton posters he has sold that evening were red and mine was purple. I didn't have any idea what he was talking about and didn't want to show my ignorance so i just walked away.
The next day we went to the artists expo and I bought my 3rd poster from Hampton. (it was a Motorhead poster) I was talking to Hampton and asked him if he would sign my show poster. (I had just spent $100.00 on the Motorhead poster) He says he'd be happy to so I pull out my tube and he takes out the show poster, lays it right next to the GID variants he is selling and bends over to sign it for me. He looks at my poster, looks at the variant right next it, looks at mine again, and then looks at them both from the side and tells me I have a variant of the variant and shakes my hand. There is no one in line to talk to him so I swallow my pride and ask him what exactly that means. He shows me the difference between the two posters saying that the GID variant has purple colors where the show edition has red BUT the poster I have has the purple variant color and no GID in the border so he says it is a variant of the variant.

Now the question:
WHAT does all of this mean? Is my poster more rare than the variant? Does it have more value or less because of this? Is it a misprint? I can't seem to get any information on any of this over at EB so I am turning to you. All opinions are welcome. Help me please..... :roll:

Just for the record I am not looking to flip or sell this poster. I already have framed and matted it and hung it in my bedroom. I just want some kind of information. Maybe it can increase my trading power.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You heard it from the artist himself, no one else is going to have any better info for you. Variant of variant means super rare, it sounded like Hampton was a little surprised to see it so I'd say you might have a one of a kind. 5 tops if I had to guess, but it almost sounds like a misprint of sorts, so I'd imagine there are no others.

That being said, who knows what its worth. Some super collector might want it to "complete" their collection, but I'd guess most folks would rather have the GID version or not care and be fine with the reg. Its definitely a rare poster, but I'd guess you have a small number of people who'd be willing to pay more than the GID avg of $240.

Do I really think I'm an authority on this? No, but no one is going to be able to tell you more than Hampton did.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    pjwhippjwhip Posts: 68
    This thread is useless without pics! :D:D:lol:
  • Options
    Two other guys on EB say they got the same poster
  • Options
    I have no idea how to post pics......I'll have to ask my son to help me.
    I'll see what I can do....
  • Options
    Aussie357Aussie357 Posts: 649
    Sounds like an ugly misprint to me....... I'll give you $50 for it :lol::lol::lol:
    Nice score - congrats!!!
    I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
  • Options
    binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    pjwhip wrote:
    This thread is useless without pics! :D:D:lol:
    I just thought the same!
    Not_4_You wrote:
    Just upload it somewhere ... imageshack.us ... tinypic.com ...
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    Hey there.
    I got the same Hampton variant at PJ20. :mrgreen:
    For anyone that wants to see it, it's the GID variant minus the GID. That's it.
    From what I was able to gather, there were 20 of these mixed in randomly throughout the stack of prints for sale.
    Nice score! Congrats. :D
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Is a variant of a variant a mutant?
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Send the poster to me. I'll figure it out ;)
  • Options
    Not_4_You wrote:

Here you go, Dad! :lol:;)

HamptonVariant-Variant1sm.jpg

Here's a link to a larger image: http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab25 ... riant1.jpg
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    how will it increase your trading power if you're not looking to flip it?
  • Options
    I guess flip it is the wrong term. It has been almost a year since I got it so flipping is over with. I am in no hurry to sell it but there are things I want...(pj20 billboard for example), so I guess if the right print presented itself I would be willing to try to work a trade.
    I am going to need all the info I can get before that happens......I wouldn't want to ask too much (or too little). I am VERY new to this poster game. It started at PJ20 and my wife thinks I am nuts.
    I guess what I am trying to say is I am not looking to make a buck.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Not_4_You wrote:
    I guess flip it is the wrong term. It has been almost a year since I got it so flipping is over with. I am in no hurry to sell it but there are things I want...(pj20 billboard for example), so I guess if the right print presented itself I would be willing to try to work a trade.
    I am going to need all the info I can get before that happens......I wouldn't want to ask too much (or too little). I am VERY new to this poster game. It started at PJ20 and my wife thinks I am nuts.
    I guess what I am trying to say is I am not looking to make a buck.

flipping has an expiration date?? i did not know that ;)

please don't take this as an attack on you and your poster... it's not ... i just like to discuss the "poster game" and i think it's interesting how people worry about being viewed as a flipper

i personally think this variant of a variant bs is just another way of saying the shop that printed it f'd up

the question is... how many ended up in your situation? and of those how many got signed? i'd say your print is very rare... but i don't think the hampton print has the same desire/pull of the billboard... not even close.... and the draw of the variant is the GID inks... which yours is lacking ... so is it a variant of a variant or a misprint?

GIDs are selling for 240ish... to the right person it might be worth $100 - $150... maybe... that's my uneducated guess

the only true way to know its dollar value is to put it up for auction on ebay

but if you're just looking to trade it then you can ask whatever you want... all you need is to find someone who wants what you have and doesn't mind giving you what you're asking... it's not always about absolute dollar value although many people view trades that way

good luck!
  • Options
    When I was at PJ20 at the artists expo waiting in line to buy the Klausen this guy was walking up and down the line paying people to get an extra poster for him. As far as I can remember the limit was two posters perprson and he was trying to get people that were only buying one to get the extra for him. I just remember thinking to myself how mad I was gonna be if I got to the head of the line and the last print went to the person in front of me and this "flipper/scalper" was walking out of the expo with 30 posters.

I wanted the poster for me, to hang on my wall, to look at every day and remember my PJ20 experience. This dude didn't give a fuck about the poster....he wanted the posters to sell on e-bay. How many people behind me in line that wanted the print got turned away? My print is 150/215 and I am pretty sure there were more than 60 people in that line behind me......so who lost out?

THAT is the reason I don't ever want to be thought of as a flipper.
    Same thing with scalpers. I think they should all be shot.
    I realize that people have different opinions about flippers and scalpers than I do and I am not trying to start a fight. This is just how I personally feel about it.